HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
I guess my point is that you're picking the best rumour out there and saying it's the predominate one, when it's not, it was said by one person (recently).

It's a rumour that gives the VAN perspective, which there haven't been very many of. LeBrun has tried to speculate on VAN's behalf. As has Botchford. But beyond them, the leaks seem to be coming from the TOR side of things, where guys like Shannon, McKenzie, Kypreos and Dreger have better insight.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Nonis actually has more pressure professionally on him than most Leaf fans think. Even if management have written off this year, Nonis has to establish himself individually from Burke. Right now, all he is is a transition GM from when Burke gets fired. He has the Luongo trade on his Vancouver resume, but also drafts like Patrick White and trading away second round picks like they are nothing.

He needs to cement some kind of individual legacy and establish his own brand on this team. He can't just be a continuation of the recently fired regime. Otherwise, he will never get his own GM job in the future.
So are you saying that Nonis has to make a splash for the sake of making a splash that goes against the Burke grain, just cause he's the man in charge now?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:01 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTzuMe View Post
Except that Gardiner + prospect exceeds the value I would expect to get for Luongo at any point in time (now or the summer). At that point, Nonis is overpaying, and I take the risk. There's where I draw the line between well-calcuated and poorly calculated (unnecessary) risk.
Which is fine... prefer the risk of keeping him. It's honestly not a terrible call as long as the market for goaltenders doesn't dry up completely.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:02 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinCookin View Post
As a completely neutral party (Red Wings Fan)

Here is my take: I have looked at the Vancouver payroll on Capgeek.
if they want to resign any of (Malholtra, higgins, lapiere, raymond, or replace them with equivalents) then they have to drop ONE of their goalies). In fact in all truth, Vancouver really can't afford any additional GOOD players that make any kind of decent coin. They honestly are really pushing the envelope. THIS year however, they could have ONE player at around 5mil extra, but then he would need to be dropped next year (or else many trades to lower the salaries).

All in all, Vancouver is a very well built team right now, you really cannot get much better. Thus a trade this year should be to pick up a UFA for next year who costs about 5 million to help win the cup, or get prospects that will be very good and on the cheap so that they can contribute and below average salaries in the next few years.

One of their goalies has to go. What oh what can they get for them?

Here is why I see a trade with Toronto as highly unlikely:

If Vancouver wants young Talented players, Toronto really can't spare them
If Vancouver wants a older (27+) player in his prime, the only player I see Toronto willing to give up would be Lupol. (and Toronto is unlikely to want to trade Lupol for an OLDER player, even if he is much better (luongo). So I just don't see this trade happening.

Toronto does need a goalie, but they are better off tanking and/or hoping reimer works out, then trading for luongo. Also Toronto should KEEP their draft choices, so these are not trade options either.

The Teams likely to give up prospects, are teams with weak goal tending , but willing to go for a cup run:

Chicago (they can't afford him honestly, their payroll is also too high)
San Jose (good fit honestly)
Tampa Bay (can afford him)
New Jersey (hedberg back, this may actually be a good spot, brodeur and luongo as a 1-2 before he retires)
Florida (Could afford him)
Ottawa (Could afford him, would they even want him? (or stick with new young guys))

(Every other team has a highly paid goalie, or the teams are clearly tanking)

All these teams are more likely to go for Luongo than Toronto.
Good post!

Ya i'm still surprised Yzerman thinks Lindback can be a reliable #1...

Old
01-14-2013, 11:02 PM
SoTzuMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Which is fine... prefer the risk of keeping him. It's honestly not a terrible call as long as the market for goaltenders doesn't dry up completely.
I've yet to see a year in which all 30 teams have starters they're 100% confident in.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
So are you saying that Nonis has to make a splash for the sake of making a splash that goes against the Burke grain, just cause he's the man in charge now?
I think he's saying that if Nonis doesn't fix the Leafs in 48 games he'll never get a job again. Therefore he should give Gillis whatever he wants so that the leafs can maybe make the playoffs this year.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
I've yet to see a year in which all 30 teams have starters they're 100% confident in.
That one element isn't sufficient to evaluate the market for Luongo. If he was a UFA, then maybe.

Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
It's a rumour that gives the VAN perspective, which there haven't been very many of. LeBrun has tried to speculate on VAN's behalf. As has Botchford. But beyond them, the leaks seem to be coming from the TOR side of things, where guys like Shannon, McKenzie, Kypreos and Dreger have better insight.
You should probably also point out that no one has ever called a Gillis trade before it happens, they have all been out of the blue.

-White for Ehrhoff
-Hodgson for Kassian
-Grabner for Ballard
-Samuelsson/Sturm for Booth
-Higgins
-Lapierre

No one called these traded before they happened.

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
I doubt that it's ever happened as well. That doesn't mean teams who aren't confident in their goaltending are going to be willing to take on a 34 year old goaltender with a big contract and 11 years left on his deal.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:05 PM
rune74

My god, we actually have someone in this thread suggesting that Mike Gillis most likely will get fired if he doesn't trade for some low risk low reward scrubs from the toronto maple leafs?

Then goes on to say Nonis is in a much safer position then our GM who has won two presidents trophies in a row?

Talk about going to great lengths to put a positive spin on your team.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:06 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

"I am willing to stay here (in Vancouver) this season because it will be short. But I do not want to stay here long term." via Ren Lavoie and with vancouver loses leverage as Luongo says he doesn't want to stay long term

Old
01-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
I think he's saying that if Nonis doesn't fix the Leafs in 48 games he'll never get a job again. Therefore he should give Gillis whatever he wants so that the leafs can maybe make the playoffs this year.
Ahh right. Well I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
He doesn't need to get Luongo. He doesn't even need to buy this season. He does however have to show that his moves have made the team better. Do you honestly believe that the new owners are going to go into the next offseason without looking for their guy? You think they'll stick with Nonis simply because he was already there? He was hired by the old bosses, just like Burke.

Old
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
"I am willing to stay here (in Vancouver) this season because it will be short. But I do not want to stay here long term." via Ren Lavoie and with vancouver loses leverage as Luongo says he doesn't want to stay long term
We already knew that Luongo didn't want to stay long term. It changes nothing. Nice try though.

https://twitter.com/passittobulis/st...04193798500352
Quote:
Luongo tells us the quote lost some context in translation. Not "get me out of here" so much as "I don't see myself here long-term".

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Wow. I don't think too many people who assess NHL talent for a living would agree with your evaluation of Luongo. I'l just leave it at that.
My point is that he's not getting better. People keep pointing at Tim Thomas as an example of an older goalie, but he's an exception to the rule.

Look at the stats all you want, but it's evident in the games and in the way Canucks view him.

Why is he being moved for a much less experienced Cory Schneider? For a team who's supposed to be a cup favourite, riding on an unproven goaltender like Schneider seems a bit odd when you've got a proven 'elite' goalie sitting on the bench, don't you think?

Old
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
So you say.

Old
miked1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
My god, we actually have someone in this thread suggesting that Mike Gillis most likely will get fired if he doesn't trade for some low risk low reward scrubs from the toronto maple leafs?

Then goes on to say Nonis is in a much safer position then our GM who has won two presidents trophies in a row?

Don't forget that Luongo's value is dropping drastically by the second!

I don't see a deal with Toronto happening, but it must be fun news to keep everyone busy until the season starts.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Rinzler

Quote:

You are probably referring to me. I am saying that he might find himself with 0 suitors for Luongo if he holds out, which yes would very much be a tenuous issue for him because he'll be faced with the prospect of buying out 9 years of his own monster 12 year contract.

That's a very big management mistake.

For the record, I do not support Toronto acquiring Luongo even for scrubs. Nonis was just hired, he's not going to get fired. He's gonna stick to the rebuild, been pretty clear on that.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:10 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1101 View Post
Don't forget that Luongo's value is dropping drastically by the second!

I don't see a deal with Toronto happening, but it must be fun news to keep everyone busy until the season starts.
It's like this is make believe land, where if we don't trade him to toronto for peanuts we will have our GM fired and we are in a world of hurt. It's almost as if they mixed up which team they are talking about.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
You should probably also point out that no one has ever called a Gillis trade before it happens, they have all been out of the blue.

-White for Ehrhoff
-Hodgson for Kassian
-Grabner for Ballard
-Samuelsson/Sturm for Booth
-Higgins
-Lapierre

No one called these traded before they happened.
Was the Ballard trade not long speculated before it happened?

The only moves that really surprised me on that list were the Booth and Kassian trades.

Old
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Good post!

Ya i'm still surprised Yzerman thinks Lindback can be a reliable #1...
I do not think Yzerman has had much of a choice, he just seems to be getting what goalies he can on the cheap. Maybe they pan out, but if he doesn't have to trade much for them... relatively low risk.

Which of the teams I mention do you think goes for Luongo? I think SJ is the strongest team that might want him. I.E. odds of winning the cup is the best.

Old
Rinzler

Quote:
It's like this is make believe land, where if we don't trade him to toronto for peanuts we will have our GM fired and we are in a world of hurt. It's almost as if they mixed up which team they are talking about.
Welcome to a message board.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:12 PM
John Bender

MY OPINION:

TO is being used as the pawn that it is. Luongo will go to FLA for the best offer they make. Plain and simple.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:12 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
You are probably referring to me. I am saying that he might find himself with 0 suitors for Luongo if he holds out, which yes would very much be a tenuous issue for him because he'll be faced with the prospect of buying out 9 years of his own monster 12 year contract.

That's a very big management mistake.

For the record, I do not support Toronto acquiring Luongo even for scrubs. Nonis was just hired, he's not going to get fired. He's gonna stick to the rebuild, been pretty clear on that.
Wasn't refering to you. That sean whatever his name is.

However, the contract, monster as you call it was great for when it was signed because it kept his cap hit down, and we had no idea how good corey would play.

Nonis was not just hired, he was promoted up after your ownership fired their man early and didn't have time t o find a replacement. They can't just leave it empty.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:13 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Was the Ballard trade not long speculated before it happened?

The only moves that really surprised me on that list were the Booth and Kassian trades.
Yeah, the erhoff one I bet you saw that coming.

Closed Thread