HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Caps training camp thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
  #276
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The LD will have to go through his body to get the puck.

Working Ovi's left elbow as a D tactic is kind of laughable. That elbow ain't going anywhere fast. Ovi is a tank a bull a beast a top power forward in the world. As dmen engage him, they cannot reach the puck. Ovi may not even have the puck on his blade when he engages. He now has that luxury. At LW, there were 3 guys collapsing on him as he went to shoot. If he passed, the goalie was always in great position at the top of the crease.

He is going to be unleashing shots as they are trying to engage him. As he skates at full speed. Or he may go through them if they try to man up on him. He may just blow by them and look to pass. The goalie is now facing the corner. Horrible position should Ovi pass. And he will.

Ah right on cue. I just heard Ovi talking about being at RW on Comcast Sportsnet and he said RW will give him more space to be creative.

Yes, he will be able to pass much more easily, the rest of the team will have time to get into the play. MJ is going to see lots of chances into a near empty net coming off LW.
It also puts everyone else into place for an extent. Laich/Johansson at 1LW, Johansson/Wolski at 2LW, Brouwer at 2RW.

Ryan, Iginla, RW Kovalchuk, RW Carter, Kessel, Semin, Horton, Fehr all score tons from RW being right handed shots and generally carrying the puck.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:59 PM
  #277
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,687
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
It also puts everyone else into place for an extent. Laich/Johansson at 1LW, Johansson/Wolski at 2LW, Brouwer at 2RW.

Ryan, Iginla, RW Kovalchuk, RW Carter, Kessel, Semin, Horton, Fehr all score tons from RW being right handed shots and generally carrying the puck.
Ovi will do fine. In fact starting with the realization he can attack from other areas in game 2 versus Montreal, Ovi's forays up the right side have gone very well.

Its just a coach never had the balls to try to move him proper. Ovi requested it himself, you can't make this stuff up. I am elated. I am not Ovi.

Montreal provided the blueprint on how to stop him and he has been adjusting ever since. I will say Dale did quite a bit to free up Ovi, ironically by reigning him in from camping at the far blue. He had to use his linemates and be a team player.

And Ovi scored from all over the ice more than ever before. Ovi potted 38 last year on a shell team, a few months without Nick, and had no ENG, career low TOI, and a mostly feeble power play. He did not pad his stats at all last year.

His game is changing, the position change came after the fact.


Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-14-2013 at 08:05 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:00 PM
  #278
capitalsrock
Registered User
 
capitalsrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
can anyone give me a rough percentage range of whether or not Schilling or Wilson make the team in your own opinion?

Serious answers please.

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:04 PM
  #279
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 100
Hey guys, I'm building a fantasy team and was just wondering if you thought Marcus Johansson would be worth including. Is he going to be put in a position to succeed offensively this year? Is there any reason to believe that he will break out?

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:04 PM
  #280
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,757
vCash: 500
wilson...5%.....schiling 0%

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:15 PM
  #281
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
can anyone give me a rough percentage range of whether or not Schilling or Wilson make the team in your own opinion?

Serious answers please.
Wilson <10%. They'd have to decide they want 14 forwards even while Laich is out (when keeping 8 D makes much more sense right now, to put off any trade/waiver decisions for a bit)... and even then 5 games at most.

Schilling even lower to make the team out of camp (tx is right, 0 fits the bill unless there are a rash of injuries), but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him as a callup later in the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
Hey guys, I'm building a fantasy team and was just wondering if you thought Marcus Johansson would be worth including. Is he going to be put in a position to succeed offensively this year? Is there any reason to believe that he will break out?
It looks like he's in line to start the season with Backstrom and Ovi on the 1st line. Can't comment at all on whether he's likely to make progress personally, but he'll be in as good a situation as ever to match or exceed last season's production. I would expect at least modest improvement as a combination of personal growth (he's still very young) and a better system, but you never know how guys will end up fitting. No idea what his special teams chances will look like either.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:21 PM
  #282
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Wilson <10%. They'd have to decide they want 14 forwards even while Laich is out (when keeping 8 D makes much more sense right now, to put off any trade/waiver decisions for a bit)... and even then 5 games at most.

Schilling even lower to make the team out of camp (tx is right, 0 fits the bill unless there are a rash of injuries), but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him as a callup later in the year.



It looks like he's in line to start the season with Backstrom and Ovi on the 1st line. Can't comment at all on whether he's likely to make progress personally, but he'll be in as good a situation as ever to match or exceed last season's production. I would expect at least modest improvement as a combination of personal growth (he's still very young) and a better system, but you never know how guys will end up fitting. No idea what his special teams chances will look like either.
Really appreciate it, thank you!

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:12 PM
  #283
fedfed
Moderator
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
can anyone give me a rough percentage range of whether or not Schilling or Wilson make the team in your own opinion?

Serious answers please.
Depends on what you mean by 'making the team'. Wilson could get a few games before being sent back.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:14 PM
  #284
LetsGoBears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Gamecenter is also $49.99. I think I might be suckered into that.

Link
Yeah, that sounds awesome.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:23 PM
  #285
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,757
vCash: 500
schilling and wilson are on the camp roster to fill it out even for scrimmages. wilson is filling in for laich and schilling is filling the 8 spot in practice while poti grabs his minutes in hershey.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:12 AM
  #286
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kemerovo, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
And Ovi scored from all over the ice more than ever before. Ovi potted 38 last year on a shell team, a few months without Nick, and had no ENG, career low TOI, and a mostly feeble power play. He did not pad his stats at all last year.
And this is why you want him to move out from his position?

Ovechkin didn't score more than usual from all over the ice:

I completely agree that AO is better when he uses all ofensive zone, but he's been doing that for his entire career when he wasn't strictly limited by the system. He'll have all that you mentioned this year, will also be shaper and faster than 2 years before this year.
Moving Ovechkin to the right will make him use his favorite forehand dangle or speeding behind the net even more often - he'll only get hit more, he's not an elusive player. Sure,he'll be able to pass more, but while Ovie is a decent playmaker, I feel that a top5 center feeding the best LW in the league has better potential (and proven). Maybe moving him to the RW for some games will be a worthy experiment, but permanently - I don't see the reason.
Also remembering some supercreative suggestions to play him with Brower and Laich... he'll be lucky to get 15 assists in this season then.

Acallabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:00 AM
  #287
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
And this is why you want him to move out from his position?

Ovechkin didn't score more than usual from all over the ice:

I completely agree that AO is better when he uses all ofensive zone, but he's been doing that for his entire career when he wasn't strictly limited by the system. He'll have all that you mentioned this year, will also be shaper and faster than 2 years before this year.
Moving Ovechkin to the right will make him use his favorite forehand dangle or speeding behind the net even more often - he'll only get hit more, he's not an elusive player. Sure,he'll be able to pass more, but while Ovie is a decent playmaker, I feel that a top5 center feeding the best LW in the league has better potential (and proven). Maybe moving him to the RW for some games will be a worthy experiment, but permanently - I don't see the reason.
Also remembering some supercreative suggestions to play him with Brower and Laich... he'll be lucky to get 15 assists in this season then.
So why did Kovalchuk put up the best overall season of his professional career after being moved to RW?

Sure, you can argue it was due to Parise and Henrique, but his play itself improved. Don't be fooled, there are tons of right handed right wing snipers that have been quite successful in the league. Ryan, Iginla, Semin, Kessel, Stewart for starters. Tons of left handed snipers doing the same on left wing - Neal, Marleau, Sedin, EKane, Hall to name a few.

Laich is the best off wing linemate we have for him, sadly enough. If you don't believe it name one better.

Also moving him to RW has another advantage no one else here seems to see.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:01 AM
  #288
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,501
vCash: 500

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:58 AM
  #289
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kemerovo, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
So why did Kovalchuk put up the best overall season of his professional career after being moved to RW?

Sure, you can argue it was due to Parise and Henrique, but his play itself improved. Don't be fooled, there are tons of right handed right wing snipers that have been quite successful in the league. Ryan, Iginla, Semin, Kessel, Stewart for starters. Tons of left handed snipers doing the same on left wing - Neal, Marleau, Sedin, EKane, Hall to name a few.

Laich is the best off wing linemate we have for him, sadly enough. If you don't believe it name one better.

Also moving him to RW has another advantage no one else here seems to see.
Kovalchuk's good year was due to his entire team performing, line chemistry, not to his position - he scored mainly from the left side, as Liberation shown. His game has grown, for sure, but he has been improving as an overall players for many years already.
Any way, however good his game was, he's a scoring winger, his job is to score.
Why are we even discussing Kovy? He's not AO.

Laich as an off wing is borderlinely tolerable.

What is this great advantage?

Acallabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:55 AM
  #290
joescores
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Hi guys, how has Mike Green looked so far in the camp? Do you think he could re-discover his old form? Do you think Oates will play him on the right point on the 1st PP? Thank you and all the best, Jets fan

joescores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:09 AM
  #291
foundhockey
Registered User
 
foundhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Georgia, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Great photoset.

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:38 AM
  #292
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,687
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
And this is why you want him to move out from his position?

.....
No. I want him moved for the same reason he wants to be moved. So he can be more creative.

I assume you know that Ovi is the person that requested he be moved from his "natural" position. I was just beating the drums for it long before it happened. I am stunned as I thought the coach would have to be the one to make the change. It says a lot that Ovi wanted to move.

I watched only 2 goals from the montage, and both were scored from the right hand side. The first goal, and skipped ahead 45 seconds in, vs Ottawa. That's all I needed to see. I don't have 5 minutes to watch them all.

While I may be wrong about where his goals were scored, we all know his signature move dried up. I saw new plans of attack this past year. He had foray's up the right hand side, circling late behind the play were easily seen. And he was successful. So maybe doing that, made scoring easier when he went back to where he made his living.

If Nick was a right hand shot, it would open up so many things for he and Ovi, at LW. He is not, so Nick like the rest of us, often ends up just watching Ovi charge into the RD and shoot. I feel that a top5 LH shot center feeding the best RW in the league has the best potential. Forehand to forehand play. Eliminate the backhand, or turning away from the goal, all the while telegraphing ones intentions to the goalie, to use the forehand.

I have no fear of Ovi getting hit. Always among the hits leaders, he usually proactively seeks to hit those that hit him. I actually think at RW he will face fewer hits. Versus Chara, move him back to LW. No biggie. I want him used on both sides, target lame duck dmen.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:18 AM
  #293
capsfan528
Registered User
 
capsfan528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
we should really let ovi play RW for a couple of games before we start saying whether or not this is a good move or not.

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:44 AM
  #294
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,687
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtcapsfan View Post
we should really let ovi play RW for a couple of games before we start saying whether or not this is a good move or not.
Sure, but as fans, there is little else but to debate things before the season starts.

When arguably a top player in the sport says he wants to change positions, that is a very rare thing and worthy of full discussion IMO.

Can you ever recall a similar situation? Sure Laich or Hendricks said they wanted to be a center, but were actually centers before. And are far from top players in their sport, wanting to move FROM the place that buttered their bread. They usually want to move TO that place.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:51 AM
  #295
fedfed
Moderator
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,747
vCash: 500
Attached is the chart of Ovi goals. 16 of them (42%) are from the highlighted are between the center of the goal and left faceoff dot.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Ovechkin goals.gif‎ (16.7 KB, 13 views)

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
  #296
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Schilling back to Hershey.

I wonder if this means Poti will be joining camp soon. Or maybe they just don't care about keeping 8 D in camp for the rest of the week (don't need balance for drills any more)?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
  #297
caps4cup
Dynasty
 
caps4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Attached is the chart of Ovi goals. 16 of them (42%) are from the highlighted are between the center of the goal and left faceoff dot.
I guarantee if he was playing RW at least that same amount would be from the right side. He's obviously going to score most of his goals from the left side if he's playing left wing.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:22 AM
  #298
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,687
vCash: 1300
Thanks for posting that chart. As I said I was probably wrong about where goals were scored from. What was different was how he scored them. Dale squashed the cherry picking.

How many of those goals scored by LW Ovi were from an in zone feed from Nick at ES, on the rush? I will guess zero.

Yet, wouldn't one think Nick would be feeding Ovi for goals, over and over? Walton voice: Backstrom brings in the puck, feeds to Ovi on his left, one timer - goalah!

I now expect Nick to feed Ovi for goals, or vice versa, on the rush more than ever before. Its a play that has been absent from our offense for too long.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:36 AM
  #299
fedfed
Moderator
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Thanks for posting that chart. As I said I was probably wrong about where goals were scored from. What was different was how he scored them. Dale squashed the cherry picking.

How many of those goals scored by LW Ovi were from an in zone feed from Nick at ES, on the rush? I will guess zero.

Yet, wouldn't one think Nick would be feeding Ovi for goals, over and over? Walton voice: Backstrom brings in the puck, feeds to Ovi on his left, one timer - goalah!

I now expect Nick to feed Ovi for goals, or vice versa, on the rush more than ever before. Its a play that has been absent from our offense for too long.
There were like 5 goals where he picked the puck up in the center ice and went one on one on the D and either beat him or used him as a screen.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:24 AM
  #300
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,687
vCash: 1300
So my answer zero is probably correct. It's a play I look for.

Ask any caps fan to draw up a play. The first and easiest place to start is as the forwards enter the zone.

The most simple of plays would be, Ovi carries the puck in and shoots. In a nutshell, that has been our offense, for many years. And its worked. But it doesn't use Nick to his strengths if at all.

The more advanced mind would also design a play that involves our 2 top offensive players, and passing. And I obviously think that's going to be a lot easier to do now.

Katie chimes in:

Quote:
Ovechkin, 27, brought up the idea to Coach Adam Oates in an offseason meeting, and the first-year bench boss encouraged the star forward to consider his willingness to make the move.

“We talked about it and then he asked me to think, do I want to do it or no?” Ovechkin recalled. “I said yeah, let’s try it. I think it will give new looks for me, new looks for different teams to try [to] cover us.”
I wonder who planted the seed in Ovi's head, if anyone. Ovi you will kick ass no matter where you play.

And... he scored already.

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein
#Caps Ovi with a sweet move, faked the slapper and then wristed high stick side to beat Holtby, 2-0 Caps

Mike Vogel ‏@VogsCaps
Ovi scores on a bomb of a one-timer. It's 2-0, #Caps

Mike Vogel ‏@VogsCaps
Ovi cut loose a one-timer off a feed from Backstrom. He looks fine. FIrst period over, #Caps up 1-0.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.