HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hall-Yakupov vs Seguin-Galchenyuk

View Poll Results: Which pair would you take on your team?
Hall-Yakupov 251 48.83%
Seguin-Galchenyuk 243 47.28%
Too close 20 3.89%
Voters: 514. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Qrispy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Please do explain why.
What has Galchenyuk done to prove that he's a better player than Yakupov? The answer is nothing.

Hall has out-produced Seguin so far in the NHL but, because Hall gets a couple of random injuries, Seguin is somehow the better player? Yeah, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89
I agree on the Hall-Yak part but not close? Thats kinda ridiculous imo.
I never said it wasn't close.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:17 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
What has Galchenyuk done to prove that he's a better player than Yakupov? The answer is nothing.

Hall has out-produced Seguin so far in the NHL but, because Hall gets a couple of random injuries, Seguin is somehow the better player? Yeah, no.
What has Yakupov done to prove he's a better player than Galchenyuk? It can go both ways.

Hall out-produced Seguin their rookie year, while Seguin actually out-produced Hall last year. Seguin is also on a more defensive team, and their rookie year he played much more sheltered minutes.

Quote:
I never said it wasn't close.
You said "and it's not as close as some fans like to make themselves believe", which is basically saying it's not close.

AKL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
What has Yakupov done to prove he's a better player than Galchenyuk? It can go both ways.

Hall out-produced Seguin their rookie year, while Seguin actually out-produced Hall last year. Seguin is also on a more defensive team, and their rookie year he played much more sheltered minutes.
For one he actually played his draft year. I guess you can say his intangibles are better by actually playing.

He outproduced Hall because he played more games. Like I said before Hall's pro rated stats were 36g-35a-71 pts. I dont think Hall would of reached those numbers, because pro rated stats dont account for hot and cold streaks, but I think its fair to say if they both played 82, they'd be around the same for points.

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:31 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
For one he actually played his draft year. I guess you can say his intangibles are better by actually playing.

He outproduced Hall because he played more games. Like I said before Hall's pro rated stats were 36g-35a-71 pts. I dont think Hall would of reached those numbers, because pro rated stats dont account for hot and cold streaks, but I think its fair to say if they both played 82, they'd be around the same for points.
If we were having this discussion in August, the whole, "he actually played in his draft year argument" would work, but Galchenyuk has been phenomenal since he started playing again. Not that Yakupov has been bad, but I'm only trying to say you can't say one has definitely been better than the other. They've been playing in two different leagues, and at the WJC, they put up the same number of points in the same number of games.

Not going to address the Hall vs. Seguin thing anymore, because I did math wrong when calculating their PPG numbers last season. You're right, Hall's was higher, and I actually agree with you that they'd be close if they both played full seasons. The only reason I take Seguin is because of personal preference and his position.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Qrispy

Seguin is a winger just like Galchenyuk at this point. Talking about "position" is nonsensical. There were talks about the Oilers moving Hall to center (since he is a natural center), so would that now make him the more desirable player? See how silly that is?

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I watched every single game, and I can tell you that Hall and RNH barely played together. They played together on the PP a lot however.
Maybe follow the link in this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Right...

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time_...11+13+29+31+33

....so you're not an Oiler fan I guess?

He was moved off their line at ES after awhile, still got a TON of PP time with both of them though
Hall's top 2 linemates last year were Eberle and RNH so maybe you should have watched the games a little more closely.

As far as the poll Seguin and Galchenyuk pretty easily. If you want to build a winner you build down the middle.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Seguin is a winger just like Galchenyuk at this point. Talking about "position" is nonsensical. There were talks about the Oilers moving Hall to center (since he is a natural center), so would that now make him the more desirable player? See how silly that is?
Seguin is winger because Boston has great depth down the middle and Gal does sometimes because neither Sarnia or the USA WJC team care about how Montreal want to develop him. Gally may even get his feet wet in the NHL playing on the wing but he is a center and that is what he will play long term.

You are right that talking about position is nonsensical though, it is widely accepted that center is more valuable than winger.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:57 PM
topchowda

Galy put up great #'s in the OHL but Yakupov also put up 18 p in 22 g in a defensive minded KHL playing 3rd line minutes.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:00 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Galy put up great #'s in the OHL but Yakupov also put up 18 p in 22 g in a defensive minded KHL playing 3rd line minutes.
Sorry, what?

Old
01-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Pekka Rinne

The two that dont play for the Oilers, AINEC

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Yakupov >> Galchenyuk
Hall >/= Seguin

Oilers duo

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:24 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 185
Hall = Seguin

Go look up raw stats, advanced stats, metrics, etc... Hall has better intangibles too. If you're on a western conference team, you get ignored on HF unless you go deep in the playoffs (see Quick/Kopitar past->present) or get lots of points (see Eberle/Hall on HF and HFOil).
It's pretty much as even as you can get. I might even give a slight edge to Hall.

Yakupov > Galchenyuk

This is pretty close but one guy was a unanimous #1 while the other was all over the top5 (and occasionally lower). Not enough has happened since the draft to make me think that Galchenyuk is all of a sudden better. The people knocking Hall for injuries seem to be forgetting something major here.

Wouldn't expect HF to pick two Oilers though.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Hall = Seguin

Go look up raw stats, advanced stats, metrics, etc... Hall has better intangibles too. If you're on a western conference team, you get ignored on HF unless you go deep in the playoffs (see Quick/Kopitar past->present) or get lots of points (see Eberle/Hall on HF and HFOil).
It's pretty much as even as you can get. I might even give a slight edge to Hall.

Yakupov > Galchenyuk

This is pretty close but one guy was a unanimous #1 while the other was all over the top5 (and occasionally lower). Not enough has happened since the draft to make me think that Galchenyuk is all of a sudden better. The people knocking Hall for injuries seem to be forgetting something major here.

Wouldn't expect HF to pick two Oilers though.
Galchenyuk was ranked all over the top 5 because he hadn't played at all in his draft year. If I recall correctly, some scouts believed he could have very well gone first overall had he played in his draft year. Based on what he's done this season, it's nearly impossible to predict who is the better player between him and Yakupov, since they haven't played at the same level the last 2 years, beside the WJC, at which they got the same amount of points.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 139
Quote:
Alex Galchenyuk: 61 pts in 33 games in the OHL (1.85 pts/game). He is slighty above the 2 pts/game pace excluding the first few games where he shook off the rust.

Nail Yakupov: 69 pts in 42 games in the OHL last year (1.64 pts/game)

Galchenyuk is 5 months younger than Yakupov so Galchy was only 7 months older when he did his 1.85 PPG vs 1.64 for Yakupov. And Galchy might have close to 2 PPG had he played the whole season in Sarnia.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:53 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Alex Galchenyuk: 61 pts in 33 games in the OHL (1.85 pts/game). He is slighty above the 2 pts/game pace excluding the first few games where he shook off the rust.

Galchenyuk is 5 months younger than Yakupov so Galchy was only 7 months older when he did his 1.85 PPG vs 1.64 for Yakupov.
I'm all for finding and using arguments that prove Galchenyuk is the better player, because I think he is, but this is not a good one.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

Galchenyuk is 5 months younger than Yakupov so Galchy was only 7 months older when he did his 1.85 PPG vs 1.64 for Yakupov.

Weak

You're really getting desperate here if you have to resort to that as an argument. At the end of the day its still his Post draft season in the OHL against far inferior competition to Yakupov. You should also wait till Galchenyuk actually plays more than 33 games before comparing PPG's.

cant wait till Yakupov actually proves people wrong in the NHL, while Galchenyuk continues to play against little boys this year.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Sorry, what?
It has been highlighted already that the KHL is a more defensive league than the NHL

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:01 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I picked Hall-Yak because I think Yak will end up being the far better player over Galchenyuk. Hall is probably behind Seguin, but I think over time those two will have similar careers when all is said and done.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:03 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
It has been highlighted already that the KHL is a more defensive league than the NHL
Where? By who?

Old
01-15-2013, 01:54 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Seguin-Galchenyuk

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
Hall=Seguim
Yak>Gal

Oilers duo.
More like Seguin>Hall

I'd take Seguin and Galchenyuk

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:01 AM
um

hf is funny

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:04 AM
um

Quote:
Where? By who?
hahaha cmon just look it up. its a well known fact.

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Seguin and Gally

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
More like Seguin>Hall

I'd take Seguin and Galchenyuk
Why Seguin over Hall? And please don't say he outscored Hall. They were scoring at the same clip until Hall got injured. (Hall was actually producing at a better ppg). Halls pro rated stats : 36g-35a-71pts. And Hall has a lot of intangibles. So I really don't get how you can say Seguin is better then Hall so cofidentley. They are virtually equal skill wise.

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote