HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXI - Nobody Loves Raymond Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 09:17 PM
BannedFromCDC

vCash: 500
Let's see all of yours internet gangsters.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
JanBulisPiggyBack

Well we do have Ballard so we still have a top 4, just not nearly as good

It does completely address our second line wing and third line center problems

Therefore eliminating any problems with the forwards

Out of the frying pan and into the fire I guess

We could certainly try to score a defenseman in the deal but I don't think we will be upgrading Edler through a trade from either Luongo or himself.

I think we should get better up front though, defense is excellent by committee and goaltending is top notch

Old
01-14-2013, 10:03 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedFromCDC View Post
That leaves us with 3 top 4 d-men....
I guess it would be Tanev's time to shine then.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

To Fla- Luongo, Tanev
To Van- Kulikov

To NYI- Ballard
To Van- Visnovsky

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Edler
Visnovsky Kulikov

Who cares if Kesler returns or if Booth sucks. Secondary scoring comes from the backend.

Gillis overcomes his phobia of Russians.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
To Fla- Luongo, Tanev
To Van- Kulikov

To NYI- Ballard
To Van- Visnovsky

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Edler
Visnovsky Kulikov

Who cares if Kesler returns or if Booth sucks. Secondary scoring comes from the backend.

Too much for Kulikov

Old
01-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
To Fla- Luongo, Tanev
To Van- Kulikov

To NYI- Ballard
To Van- Visnovsky

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Edler
Visnovsky Kulikov

That's a very unnecessary amount of defensive depth, and good luck convincing Vis to come back to the NHL.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Too much for Kulikov
I don't know. He could be a #1 some day. Visnovsky would be the perfect guy to take him under his wing.

That's a ton of money to spend on defense. But how strong would the team be from the backend.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post

That's a very unnecessary amount of defensive depth, and good luck convincing Vis to come back to the NHL.
Apparently the KHL might not allow him to play. If he wants to go to a contender, Vancouver would be a pretty good situation - even better if he pairs up with a young Russian dman like Kulikov.

I wouldn't say that defense is unnecessary. It's just usually impossible to assemble a group that strong.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:33 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Apparently the KHL might not allow him to play. If he wants to go to a contender, Vancouver would be a pretty good situation - even better if he pairs up with a young Russian dman like Kulikov.

I wouldn't say that defense is unnecessary. It's just usually impossible to assemble a group that strong.
It's unnecessary.
Each one of those pairings should be playing 22 mins per night (minimum), and that obviously isn't possible.

It's a waste of talent while we have a lack of 2nd line wingers and a good 3rd line center.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
It's unnecessary.
Each one of those pairings should be playing 22 mins per night (minimum), and that obviously isn't possible.

It's a waste of talent while we have a lack of 2nd line wingers and a good 3rd line center.
Assuming Visnovsky would report, which of those trades wouldn't you do? Or both?

I don't think it's really a waste. More often than not you're without at least 1 top 6 dman...

I like the looks of our forward corps with those 6 getting them the puck and holding the blueline.

Totally unrealistic. I would still do both deals without hesitation.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Our third pairing would be a top pairing on several teams. I don't see how that is unappealing in any way, unless we can get a better deal for a top-6 winger instead.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:47 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Our third pairing would be a top pairing on several teams. I don't see how that is unappealing in any way, unless we can get a better deal for a top-6 winger instead.
3 first pairings with 6 guys capable of 40 points.

When was the last time a team iced a better defense corps than this? I can't think of one. That's not a bad thing.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Higgins
Raymond Lapierre Hansen
Weise Malhotra Kassian

That forward corps should be good enough with that ridiculous backend...

Old
01-15-2013, 12:57 AM
The Optimist

vCash: 1258
Quote:
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Higgins
Raymond Lapierre Hansen
Weise Malhotra Kassian

That forward corps should be good enough with that ridiculous backend...
That forward group is good enough even with the current backend.

Take out Kesler and you have a problem, regardless of who is on defense ...

Old
01-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Bleach Clean

Just for fun, made a 2013-2014 _with_ Luongo still here. Unrealistic? Maybe. But possible given a few 100k here or there:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Manny Malhotra ($0.700m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Cam Barker ($0.700m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Jim Vandermeer ($0.600m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,418,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $118,333

This assumes:

- Malhotra takes a paycut to stay.
- Higgins gets a 600k raise.
- Lapierre takes the same.
- And Edler takes that magical 5m per.

It's over, but some cap massaged either way, and I think it's doable.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:24 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Schroeder will be a sophomore next season, I see no reason to not expect him to have solidified a role in the bottom-6 by next season. Jensen and Corrado also have a decent shot at cracking the roster. I highly doubt Malhotra takes that severe a paycut. That's like AHL call-up money.

Anyways, I'd like to see Schroeder at 3C flanked by Higgins/Hansen, and Lapierre on Malhotra's wing on the 4th line, so Malhotra can still use his faceoff prowess.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:31 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

If Manny doesn't play well this season, I think he could very well be looking for a new team in the free agent market. Raymond, if (when) he doesn't perform, he'll be in the same position. Add Jensen. We need some ELC's inserted in our lineup. Barker third pairing? Yeah, Corrado beats him out easily.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Jensen - Lapierre - Weise

I don't really like having Jensen on the fourth line though. Didn't really know where else to put him. Hansen may have to play on the fourth line.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Corrado

Not taking sides into play here, as I never remember. Not sure if I want Corrado with the Canucks next year, but if he's ready, he's ready. Hopefully KNauts can pick it up and play there.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
If Manny doesn't play well this season, I think he could very well be looking for a new team in the free agent market. Raymond, if (when) he doesn't perform, he'll be in the same position. Add Jensen. We need some ELC's inserted in our lineup. Barker third pairing? Yeah, Corrado beats him out easily.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Jensen - Lapierre - Weise

I don't really like having Jensen on the fourth line though. Didn't really know where else to put him. Hansen may have to play on the fourth line.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Corrado

Not taking sides into play here, as I never remember. Not sure if I want Corrado with the Canucks next year, but if he's ready, he's ready. Hopefully KNauts can pick it up and play there.
Jensen either gets at least ~12mpg on the team and PP duties or he's playing elsewhere.

Would be awful for his development to stick him on the 4th line.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:39 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Jensen either gets at least ~12mpg on the team and PP duties or he's playing elsewhere.

Yeah, which is why I said Hansen may have to play fourth line, and then I think we have four solid lines at that point. Probably best to have Jensen and Corrado have a season in the AHL to get accustomed to bigger players (Jensen already doing so) then have them as the first callups.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Schroeder will be a sophomore next season, I see no reason to not expect him to have solidified a role in the bottom-6 by next season. Jensen and Corrado also have a decent shot at cracking the roster. I highly doubt Malhotra takes that severe a paycut. That's like AHL call-up money.

Anyways, I'd like to see Schroeder at 3C flanked by Higgins/Hansen, and Lapierre on Malhotra's wing on the 4th line, so Malhotra can still use his faceoff prowess.

Yeah, Malhotra taking that type of pay cut is dream-worthy.

Schroeder could make it for an extra 300k. The point is, given some massaging, the Canucks are close enough to the cap that the team could remain largely intact. Now if Edler takes less and Higgins takes the same 2m, then it gets even more plausible.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Yeah, Malhotra taking that type of pay cut is dream-worthy.

Schroeder could make it for an extra 300k. The point is, given some massaging, the Canucks are close enough to the cap that the team could remain largely intact. Now if Edler takes less and Higgins takes the same 2m, then it gets even more plausible.
It ain't going to happen. Edler doesn't sign for that cheap, Higgins has already signed a sweetheart deal with us, and keeping both goalies will be a huge detriment to the team's ability to ice a good group of forwards even with a few ELCs thrown into the mix. More imprtantly, I doubt either Schneider or Luongo will want this to run more than this shortened season. While it may be almost, barely possible financially, it is illogical from so many points of view.

If Gillis should keep Luongo for the remainder of the year and the offers still aren't up to his liking in the summer, he'll have to move Schneider for an equally impressive, young forward. Otherwise, cut the cord and take the best offer for Luongo that's on the table.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:18 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
It ain't going to happen. Edler doesn't sign for that cheap, Higgins has already signed a sweetheart deal with us, and keeping both goalies will be a huge detriment to the team's ability to ice a good group of forwards even with a few ELCs thrown into the mix. More imprtantly, I doubt either Schneider or Luongo will want this to run more than this shortened season. While it may be almost, barely possible financially, it is illogical from so many points of view.

If Gillis should keep Luongo for the remainder of the year and the offers still aren't up to his liking in the summer, he'll have to move Schneider for an equally impressive, young forward. Otherwise, cut the cord and take the best offer for Luongo that's on the table.
Agreed. In fact Luongo already said something along the lines of not wanting this situation to go past this shortened season or something along those lines.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:22 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post

I agree, that was more a worst case doomsday scenario. Which believe it or not, gets brought up as a point of contention in Luongo based threads. It's about covering for an extreme situation. More than likely, Edler signs for 5m, Higgins for 2.5m to 3m, and Lapierre for 1-1.5m.

Ballard, Malhotra and Raymond would be the cap casualties.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post

Didn't seem to be too bad for Cody Hodgson, Jannik Hansen, Mason Raymond, Alex Burrows, Ryan Kesler, etc, etc..

(Not to mention the scores of other players who start at the bottom of the totem pole in other NHL organizations.. pretty much every player that is not an instant impact player)

Playing a limited role at the NHL level for short stretches (while being occasionally rewarded with more ice time and being exposed to the work habits of world class players, the best possible coaching and skill development, better competition than they've faced anywhere else) is not bad for a player's development, especially when it's probably that a player will do that for part of their first season and spend the rest of it in the AHL getting 20 minutes a night.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Didn't seem to be too bad for Cody Hodgson, Jannik Hansen, Mason Raymond, Alex Burrows, Ryan Kesler, etc, etc..

(Not to mention the scores of other players who start at the bottom of the totem pole in other NHL organizations.. pretty much every player that is not an instant impact player)

Playing a limited role at the NHL level for short stretches (while being occasionally rewarded with more ice time and being exposed to the work habits of world class players, the best possible coaching and skill development, better competition than they've faced anywhere else) is not bad for a player's development, especially when it's probably that a player will do that for part of their first season and spend the rest of it in the AHL getting 20 minutes a night.
Most of the time the teams that don't follow this policy are so bad, they have nobody else to take up those "prime slots" (although even the Islanders haven't given Grabner "top six" minutes) or the player in question is a clear elite player already.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Wisp

Gomez could be a UFA tomorrow. Could be a good depth center on a cheap contract.

Redden, too. Certainly prefer him over Vandermeer or Barker.

Closed Thread