HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jaroslav Halak to Toronto?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If we need to acquire quality defensemen, then what does just about every other team, especially Toronto have to do?
Get a goalie.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Pens fan here.

Well said. STL is as complete of a team as any fan could want. What are your weaknesses? answer: None aside of lack of experience (which was obtained by losing last year). Oh and you are adding this guy named Tarasenko. You have solid young guys/prospects to fill any void you may have. This team will be good for a long time.

Why blow it up so soon?

You sir, are a right thinking kind of guy

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:34 PM
KirkOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
You wouldn't downgrade from Halak to Reimer if it meant adding Jake Gardiner?

wait if you're insinuating that a team would be better off with reimer+gardiner than halak, then why would you want to make the trade in the first place from toronto's point of view?

The fact is the blues had great success with the halak/elliot tandem and there is no reason to mess with success for only a moderate upgrade on D

KirkOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:53 PM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
Quote:
He is definitely not untouchable.
You are correct, if they were getting Rinne, Lundqvist, or Quick in return he could be had rather easily.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:56 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
You wouldn't downgrade from Halak to Reimer if it meant adding Jake Gardiner?
If that were such a good idea, why wouldn't the Leafs just keep their guys?

Having Halak makes your team better than having Reimer and Gardiner pretty easliy in my eyes.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:57 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Why is it that every trade proposed these days is for Gardiner? Gardiner for Luongo, Gardiner for Halak. Gardiner for Bernier.

The fact that every trade involves Gardiner probably means Gardiner is never going to get traded from Toronto.

Would any other team trade their top prospect for Halak? Probably not....

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Gardiner for Gunnarsson.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:07 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Gardiner for Gunnarsson.
And help out a division rival like that?!

If they're giving up Gardiner, Kessel has to be coming back.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post

I figure I would just gift them Max to end the HF madness.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Pens fan here.

Well said. STL is as complete of a team as any fan could want. What are your weaknesses? answer: None aside of lack of experience (which was obtained by losing last year). Oh and you are adding this guy named Tarasenko. You have solid young guys/prospects to fill any void you may have. This team will be good for a long time.

Why blow it up so soon?
They don't have a weakness? You realize they were 21st in goals per game last season, all teams who finished worse than them in that category were non playoff teams. Couple that with a bottom 10 PP in the league, and I'd say their weakness is goal scoring. IF their goalies falter, IF they can't replicate their extremely low goals against per game, and IF they continue to struggle to score then they could have some problems.

I'm not downing on the Blues, but they certainly have weaknesses. Personally, I wouldnt want to rely fully on Halak or Elliott. Elliott seems too good to be true, and Halak seems to sometimes lose it for stretches. St. Louis needs to keep that tandem intact if they want to contend, there is a serious risk otherwise especially in a shortened season where a 7 game losing streak could cost you the playoffs.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:23 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
They don't have a weakness? You realize they were 21st in goals per game last season, all teams who finished worse than them in that category were non playoff teams. Couple that with a bottom 10 PP in the league, and I'd say their weakness is goal scoring. IF their goalies falter, IF they can't replicate their extremely low goals against per game, and IF they continue to struggle to score then they could have some problems.

I'm not downing on the Blues, but they certainly have weaknesses. Personally, I wouldnt want to rely fully on Halak or Elliott. Elliott seems too good to be true, and Halak seems to sometimes lose it for stretches. St. Louis needs to keep that tandem intact if they want to contend, there is a serious risk otherwise.
And when Perron came back and even more when McDonald came back, our offense is around top 10ish. Stewart has lost 20 pounds, so it is reasonable to think he will bounce back.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:24 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post

I'm not downing on the Blues, but they certainly have weaknesses. Personally, I wouldnt want to rely fully on Halak or Elliott. Elliott seems too good to be true, and Halak seems to sometimes lose it for stretches. St. Louis needs to keep that tandem intact if they want to contend, there is a serious risk otherwise especially in a shortened season where a 7 game losing streak could cost you the playoffs.
Take a look at the GPG and PP% when Andy McDonald was injured and when he was healthy last year. When McDonald played, the Blues' PP was elite.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Brentwood1

Quote:
And when Perron came back and even more when McDonald came back, our offense is around top 10ish. Stewart has lost 20 pounds, so it is reasonable to think he will bounce back.
And we're gaining one of the most highly touted prospects out of Russia since Malkin

Brentwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:

Plus, the Blues are adding the Tank.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Damn, I assumed you were talking about Toronto making a trade with itself.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
Why is it that every trade proposed these days is for Gardiner? Gardiner for Luongo, Gardiner for Halak. Gardiner for Bernier.

The fact that every trade involves Gardiner probably means Gardiner is never going to get traded from Toronto.

Would any other team trade their top prospect for Halak? Probably not....
What else does Toronto have to offer? They are saying no to Gardiner here. They'd want Gardiner+. What pieces on Toronto would you trade Gardiner for, and feel as if you were getting fair value? I bet you can't do it without Rielly+, Kessel, or maybe Phaneuf. Not angry or mad-ranting, just serious.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
A playoff team does not trade their starting goalie when the backup has serious question marks if he can repeat his performance from last season. Halak simply is not available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
If Halak is traded then who starts for the Blues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
He pretty much is unless we are receiving a better goalie in return. It just makes no sense to trade him at all. Why would the Blues weaken such an important position. The Blues needs are not so severe to make trading Halak to fill one make any sense at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
So do you have a better goalie to give the Blues then? There's no need to weaken the goaltending to get another defenseman. Cole will do just fine.
The above are fair responses with legitimate reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Nope
Quote:
Not a chance.
That's ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Must be that time of the week again. And no, Leafs fans didn't take 4 months off...Especially on the this site...Particularly the trade forum.
Quote:
Can we go ahead and say no Berglund to Toronto either, while we're at it?
The above responses are not well thought out, nor do they help any discussion. Why do you feel the need to be so defensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Absolutely not and the following mini-rant is not directed at you individually, just the person I happened to quote.

No Halak, no Berglund, not today, not tomorrow, not on Saturday night, not in a month, not at the trade deadline.

The Blues got where they were last year because of the collective duo of Halak and Elliott. Not one or the other. We can't afford to trade either of them.

We cannot afford to trade Patrick Berglund because he is one of two centerman on the team.

If we are going to part with either Halak or Berglund (or Elliott for that matter) it would have to be for a better goalie or a better center. Since that is most likely unrealistic, we will take our chances with the team that was a win away from the President's trophy and hope that the additions of Vladimir Tarasenko, Jaden Schwartz, and Ian Cole are enough to get us over the top.

Mini-rant over lol.
This is an example of a well thought out post.

Quote:
I guess no means try harder in Toronto.
This is the exact opposite.

Quote:
Gardiner for Gunnarsson.
Quote:

Quote:
These are even worse. Why is there this stigma with so many Blues fans towards anything Blue & White?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
What else does Toronto have to offer? They are saying no to Gardiner here. They'd want Gardiner+. What pieces on Toronto would you trade Gardiner for, and feel as if you were getting fair value? I bet you can't do it without Rielly+, Kessel, or maybe Phaneuf. Not angry or mad-ranting, just serious.
I'm not quite sure what's happening here.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Can't Leafs fans just take a day off?
Quote:
Must be that time of the week again. And no, Leafs fans didn't take 4 months off...Especially on the this site...Particularly the trade forum.
You guys complain about these threads then post in them. Maybe, just maybe you should ignore them. Simple concept.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Man Bear Pig

Halak wouldn't be going anywhere, it would be Elliot. I don't think anyone believes Elliot will duplicate last season, wouldn't make sense for a contender to deal it's best goaltender.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:30 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:

The can't afford to give up young talent. How about Kadri, Bozak and 2nd for Kessel (his contract is bad because he's a UFA in a 18 months). They can't expect any more, Toronto is doing them a favour just taking Kessel of their hands.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:01 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Halak wouldn't be going anywhere, it would be Elliot. I don't think anyone believes Elliot will duplicate last season, wouldn't make sense for a contender to deal it's best goaltender.
I'll do an avatar bet that as long as the Blues don't get crippled by injuries, Elliott will post a 9.15% or higher save percentage. He's confident, something that he couldn't be before.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:09 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
I'll do an avatar bet that as long as the Blues don't get crippled by injuries, Elliott will post a 9.15% or higher save percentage. He's confident, something that he couldn't be before.
If he's posting a 9.15% I doubt he'll be in the NHL much longer

Old
01-15-2013, 01:31 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
If he's posting a 9.15% I doubt he'll be in the NHL much longer
I would typo on something like that. LOL

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Mahleezer

Halak to TO... riiiiiiiiiight...

Mahleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:36 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Don't forget Steen.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote