HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jaroslav Halak to Toronto?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
  #26
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,805
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If we need to acquire quality defensemen, then what does just about every other team, especially Toronto have to do?
Get a goalie.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:19 PM
  #27
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,060
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Pens fan here.

Well said. STL is as complete of a team as any fan could want. What are your weaknesses? answer: None aside of lack of experience (which was obtained by losing last year). Oh and you are adding this guy named Tarasenko. You have solid young guys/prospects to fill any void you may have. This team will be good for a long time.

Why blow it up so soon?

You sir, are a right thinking kind of guy

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:34 PM
  #28
KirkOut
Registered User
 
KirkOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Charles, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
You wouldn't downgrade from Halak to Reimer if it meant adding Jake Gardiner?

wait if you're insinuating that a team would be better off with reimer+gardiner than halak, then why would you want to make the trade in the first place from toronto's point of view?

The fact is the blues had great success with the halak/elliot tandem and there is no reason to mess with success for only a moderate upgrade on D

KirkOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:53 PM
  #29
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 8,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
He is definitely not untouchable.
You are correct, if they were getting Rinne, Lundqvist, or Quick in return he could be had rather easily.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:56 PM
  #30
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 8,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
You wouldn't downgrade from Halak to Reimer if it meant adding Jake Gardiner?
If that were such a good idea, why wouldn't the Leafs just keep their guys?

Having Halak makes your team better than having Reimer and Gardiner pretty easliy in my eyes.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:57 PM
  #31
MakeTheIronSing
Registered User
 
MakeTheIronSing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Why is it that every trade proposed these days is for Gardiner? Gardiner for Luongo, Gardiner for Halak. Gardiner for Bernier.

The fact that every trade involves Gardiner probably means Gardiner is never going to get traded from Toronto.

Would any other team trade their top prospect for Halak? Probably not....

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:59 PM
  #32
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 17,647
vCash: 50
Gardiner for Gunnarsson.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:07 PM
  #33
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Gardiner for Gunnarsson.
And help out a division rival like that?!

If they're giving up Gardiner, Kessel has to be coming back.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
  #34
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 17,647
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
And help out a division rival like that?!

If they're giving up Gardiner, Kessel has to be coming back.
I figure I would just gift them Max to end the HF madness.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
  #35
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Pens fan here.

Well said. STL is as complete of a team as any fan could want. What are your weaknesses? answer: None aside of lack of experience (which was obtained by losing last year). Oh and you are adding this guy named Tarasenko. You have solid young guys/prospects to fill any void you may have. This team will be good for a long time.

Why blow it up so soon?
They don't have a weakness? You realize they were 21st in goals per game last season, all teams who finished worse than them in that category were non playoff teams. Couple that with a bottom 10 PP in the league, and I'd say their weakness is goal scoring. IF their goalies falter, IF they can't replicate their extremely low goals against per game, and IF they continue to struggle to score then they could have some problems.

I'm not downing on the Blues, but they certainly have weaknesses. Personally, I wouldnt want to rely fully on Halak or Elliott. Elliott seems too good to be true, and Halak seems to sometimes lose it for stretches. St. Louis needs to keep that tandem intact if they want to contend, there is a serious risk otherwise especially in a shortened season where a 7 game losing streak could cost you the playoffs.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:23 PM
  #36
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 17,647
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
They don't have a weakness? You realize they were 21st in goals per game last season, all teams who finished worse than them in that category were non playoff teams. Couple that with a bottom 10 PP in the league, and I'd say their weakness is goal scoring. IF their goalies falter, IF they can't replicate their extremely low goals against per game, and IF they continue to struggle to score then they could have some problems.

I'm not downing on the Blues, but they certainly have weaknesses. Personally, I wouldnt want to rely fully on Halak or Elliott. Elliott seems too good to be true, and Halak seems to sometimes lose it for stretches. St. Louis needs to keep that tandem intact if they want to contend, there is a serious risk otherwise.
And when Perron came back and even more when McDonald came back, our offense is around top 10ish. Stewart has lost 20 pounds, so it is reasonable to think he will bounce back.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:24 PM
  #37
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
They don't have a weakness? You realize they were 21st in goals per game last season, all teams who finished worse than them in that category were non playoff teams. Couple that with a bottom 10 PP in the league, and I'd say their weakness is goal scoring. IF their goalies falter, IF they can't replicate their extremely low goals against per game, and IF they continue to struggle to score then they could have some problems.

I'm not downing on the Blues, but they certainly have weaknesses. Personally, I wouldnt want to rely fully on Halak or Elliott. Elliott seems too good to be true, and Halak seems to sometimes lose it for stretches. St. Louis needs to keep that tandem intact if they want to contend, there is a serious risk otherwise especially in a shortened season where a 7 game losing streak could cost you the playoffs.
Take a look at the GPG and PP% when Andy McDonald was injured and when he was healthy last year. When McDonald played, the Blues' PP was elite.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:26 PM
  #38
Brentwood1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
And when Perron came back and even more when McDonald came back, our offense is around top 10ish. Stewart has lost 20 pounds, so it is reasonable to think he will bounce back.
And we're gaining one of the most highly touted prospects out of Russia since Malkin

Brentwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:27 PM
  #39
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,060
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
And when Perron came back and even more when McDonald came back, our offense is around top 10ish. Stewart has lost 20 pounds, so it is reasonable to think he will bounce back.


Plus, the Blues are adding the Tank.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
  #40
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I figure I would just gift them Max to end the HF madness.
Damn, I assumed you were talking about Toronto making a trade with itself.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:46 PM
  #41
Kass Effect
Registered User
 
Kass Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Data Corrupted
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
Why is it that every trade proposed these days is for Gardiner? Gardiner for Luongo, Gardiner for Halak. Gardiner for Bernier.

The fact that every trade involves Gardiner probably means Gardiner is never going to get traded from Toronto.

Would any other team trade their top prospect for Halak? Probably not....
What else does Toronto have to offer? They are saying no to Gardiner here. They'd want Gardiner+. What pieces on Toronto would you trade Gardiner for, and feel as if you were getting fair value? I bet you can't do it without Rielly+, Kessel, or maybe Phaneuf. Not angry or mad-ranting, just serious.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:56 PM
  #42
Sergei Berezin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 5,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
A playoff team does not trade their starting goalie when the backup has serious question marks if he can repeat his performance from last season. Halak simply is not available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
If Halak is traded then who starts for the Blues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
He pretty much is unless we are receiving a better goalie in return. It just makes no sense to trade him at all. Why would the Blues weaken such an important position. The Blues needs are not so severe to make trading Halak to fill one make any sense at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
So do you have a better goalie to give the Blues then? There's no need to weaken the goaltending to get another defenseman. Cole will do just fine.
The above are fair responses with legitimate reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Not a chance.
That's ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Must be that time of the week again. And no, Leafs fans didn't take 4 months off...Especially on the this site...Particularly the trade forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Can we go ahead and say no Berglund to Toronto either, while we're at it?
The above responses are not well thought out, nor do they help any discussion. Why do you feel the need to be so defensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Absolutely not and the following mini-rant is not directed at you individually, just the person I happened to quote.

No Halak, no Berglund, not today, not tomorrow, not on Saturday night, not in a month, not at the trade deadline.

The Blues got where they were last year because of the collective duo of Halak and Elliott. Not one or the other. We can't afford to trade either of them.

We cannot afford to trade Patrick Berglund because he is one of two centerman on the team.

If we are going to part with either Halak or Berglund (or Elliott for that matter) it would have to be for a better goalie or a better center. Since that is most likely unrealistic, we will take our chances with the team that was a win away from the President's trophy and hope that the additions of Vladimir Tarasenko, Jaden Schwartz, and Ian Cole are enough to get us over the top.

Mini-rant over lol.
This is an example of a well thought out post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I guess no means try harder in Toronto.
This is the exact opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Gardiner for Gunnarsson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
And help out a division rival like that?!

If they're giving up Gardiner, Kessel has to be coming back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I figure I would just gift them Max to end the HF madness.
These are even worse. Why is there this stigma with so many Blues fans towards anything Blue & White?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
What else does Toronto have to offer? They are saying no to Gardiner here. They'd want Gardiner+. What pieces on Toronto would you trade Gardiner for, and feel as if you were getting fair value? I bet you can't do it without Rielly+, Kessel, or maybe Phaneuf. Not angry or mad-ranting, just serious.
I'm not quite sure what's happening here.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:23 AM
  #43
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Can't Leafs fans just take a day off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Must be that time of the week again. And no, Leafs fans didn't take 4 months off...Especially on the this site...Particularly the trade forum.
You guys complain about these threads then post in them. Maybe, just maybe you should ignore them. Simple concept.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:25 AM
  #44
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,564
vCash: 500
Halak wouldn't be going anywhere, it would be Elliot. I don't think anyone believes Elliot will duplicate last season, wouldn't make sense for a contender to deal it's best goaltender.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:30 AM
  #45
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
And help out a division rival like that?!

If they're giving up Gardiner, Kessel has to be coming back.
The can't afford to give up young talent. How about Kadri, Bozak and 2nd for Kessel (his contract is bad because he's a UFA in a 18 months). They can't expect any more, Toronto is doing them a favour just taking Kessel of their hands.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:01 AM
  #46
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 7,298
vCash: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Halak wouldn't be going anywhere, it would be Elliot. I don't think anyone believes Elliot will duplicate last season, wouldn't make sense for a contender to deal it's best goaltender.
I'll do an avatar bet that as long as the Blues don't get crippled by injuries, Elliott will post a 9.15% or higher save percentage. He's confident, something that he couldn't be before.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:09 AM
  #47
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'll do an avatar bet that as long as the Blues don't get crippled by injuries, Elliott will post a 9.15% or higher save percentage. He's confident, something that he couldn't be before.
If he's posting a 9.15% I doubt he'll be in the NHL much longer

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:31 AM
  #48
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 7,298
vCash: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
If he's posting a 9.15% I doubt he'll be in the NHL much longer
I would typo on something like that. LOL

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:36 AM
  #49
Mahleezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
Halak to TO... riiiiiiiiiight...

Mahleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:36 AM
  #50
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 5,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
And when Perron came back and even more when McDonald came back, our offense is around top 10ish. Stewart has lost 20 pounds, so it is reasonable to think he will bounce back.
Don't forget Steen.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.