HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI/CAR] CAR sends Brian Boucher & Mark Alt to PHI for Luke Pither

Old
01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Such as?
One of Rask, Murphy, or Krueger would have been okay

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Paralyzer008

The Flyers know Brian Boucher well, and they obviously trust him as the third string or even the second string goalie. He can be streaky in a good way sometimes and he should at least provide healthy competition with Leighton. Mark Alt is a big, strong college guy who will give the Flyers D depth (they always seem to need that)

Carolina gets rid of some salary and opens a spot for Ellis, and also pick up Pither, who will not only give them C depth but a good minor league scorer. It sucks to lose Alt but Carolina has lots of young D anyways and getting rid of Boucher's 900K isn't a bad move. Dan Ellis will be a fine replacement.

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:28 PM
MichaelProcton
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Carolina gets rid of some salary and opens a spot for Ellis, and also pick up Pither, who will not only give them C depth but a good minor league scorer.
Wait...a guy with 30 points over 106 AHL games is a "good minor league scorer?" Even 26 in 39 ECHL games is not very impressive.

MichaelProcton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelProcton View Post
Wait...a guy with 30 points over 106 AHL games is a "good minor league scorer?" Even 26 in 39 ECHL games is not very impressive.
22 points in 24 games with Wheeling in the ECHL is decent, he's coming on

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:01 PM
0range and Black

33-16-7 Bryz will play most games.
17-5-2 Leighton will spot him 10 to 15 times.
73-66-19 Boucher is insurance in case either are injured.

Leighton was abused by Chicago.
So was Luongo, Rinne and Nabakov.
Get over it.

He has far outplayed most other current NHL backups on the ice in the NHL. I missed their 3 1/2 shutouts and 2 playoff series wins. I failed to notice them taking an 11th place team to 8th place.

0range and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:04 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Krueger maybe, but Alt is not on Rask or Murphy's level as a prospect. It's at least a letter grade's worth of difference, and if he doesn't get things turned around this season it will be more like two letter grades.

I forgot we had Krueger TBH. Kinda doubt he has trade value.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
No way it would have been Murphy and you'd have been really lucky to get Rask either. Krueger, fine.

I don't know about this trade. It's very minor but I like it for Philly more. They got an asset in Alt AND got a backup goalie they are very familiar with for what looks to be a career AHL'er. I mean, Alt is a project, but I think he fits the "Flyer mold" pretty well and they need the defense prospects. I understand why Carolina did it though. Ellis played well and earned a contract and is cheaper than Boucher, who was injured last season and being a budget team, Carolina saves money at the expense of a defense prospect; however, defense is an area of strength right now for them anyway, so it can't hurt too much. It's not like Alt is a top prospect. And as mentioned, the more you think about this, the more it also makes sense as to why this deal was made by the Canes: Charlotte will be losing bodies and Pither's a guy they can use down there. Just a weird trade but a very minor one, probably more to do with making sure the affiliate is stocked and a little money is saved more than an actual hockey trade anyway for Carolina. Philly must have complied and didn't argue with the return. I would bet money Carolina started talks on this one.

As for Boucher reportedly going to the Phantoms (won't the Flyers have to waive him, thus risking another team claiming him right after they traded for him?), does anyone think he's better than Leighton at this point? I do. I think Boucher should be the backup and Leighton should go back down but that's just me. Boucher's the better goalie. Also, Boucher's cap hit is 950K compared to Leighton's 900K. Boucher, in the minors, would still count against the cap since his exceeds the 900K limit in the new CBA's rule. Leighton would not. Why bother having three goalie cap hits on the cap at once? That'd be an extra 950K on the Flyers' cap for Boucher to play in the AHL, wouldn't it?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:02 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

There is no question in my mind that Boucher is better than Leighton. Injuries are an issue, but he performed fine for us.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Such as?
I don't really know, but if they consider Alt a low end defense prospect, then surely they could have moved someone else instead.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Also, Boucher's cap hit is 950K compared to Leighton's 900K. Boucher, in the minors, would still count against the cap since his exceeds the 900K limit in the new CBA's rule. Leighton would not. Why bother having three goalie cap hits on the cap at once? That'd be an extra 950K on the Flyers' cap for Boucher to play in the AHL, wouldn't it?
I may be wrong, but I think the new CBA says only the money above 900K would count against the cap. So Boucher (if sent to the minors) would only be a 50K cap hit.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Ellis's NHL salary = 650,000

Alt = $282,500. Enough to feed a family of four.
Alt = $0. He is in college.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:41 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I don't really know, but if they consider Alt a low end defense prospect, then surely they could have moved someone else instead.
There's a decently high likelihood that JR initially offered a Krueger or Kivisto or Sova, guys who have zero chance of an NHL career, and Holmgren basically asked "what part of this is worth the paperwork for me?" so that JR adjusted upward to a guy (Alt) who still has a slim chance of making it.

I doubt this deal consisted of one offer which was accepted.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:24 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I may be wrong, but I think the new CBA says only the money above 900K would count against the cap. So Boucher (if sent to the minors) would only be a 50K cap hit.
I just now realized that. I misunderstood the rule at first, but upon thinking further it all made sense, so it'd only be the extra 50K to bury him. Thanks for further clarifying.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
I just now realized that. I misunderstood the rule at first, but upon thinking further it all made sense, so it'd only be the extra 50K to bury him. Thanks for further clarifying.
And really, it's a $50,000 insurance policy to have a 3rd stringer with NHL experience should an injuy occur. And Philly gets a long term D project to work with.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote