Put me on the field

vCash: 500
Federer breaks to open the match.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:40 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
In the second set, another early break for Roger, who certainly doesn't look like he is expecting much fuss.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Probably helps that he has played Paire before and knows what to expect. Their last match a couple months ago wasn't close at all. Some really nice use of angles on the serves and has rushed the net a lot. Otherwise a pretty mundane match so far with a few typical Federer shots mixed in. Hopefully he won't be on court too long.

Think I'll switch to Llodra-Tsonga.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:32 AM
Alklha

Pretty straightforward 6-2, 6-3 win for Laura Robson over Melanie Oudin. I have no idea what the line-judges were watching during the match, because they were totally inept. The umpire was excellent though, never seen so many overrules in a match before.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
kihei

Pretty easy tie breaker as Haas goes down the opening set to Nieminen, Finland's most underrated athlete. ... Two straight breaks for Tommy and he is now serving for the second set, 5-4. He looked like he might go down two sets there for awhile.

Just saw a little of Simon's first set, and he looked bloody awful...and now he is down 2-0 in the second....Simon rights the ship, sort of, 6-3. Actually he didn't play that much better it was just that Volandri's game went south in a hurry...21 winners and 48 errors combined gives a clear picture of the match so far and the third set is just more of the same.

Last edited by kihei: 01-15-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old
01-15-2013, 02:19 AM
Alklha

Well Simon has woken up, took the second set 6-3. His compatriot, Richard Gasquet, finds himself down a break in the first to Montañés in the first. Montañés is at least a half-decent player though.

Nieminen's game has fallen apart since that double fault earlier in the set. Haas looked close to mentally checking-out until that point, but is now serving for the set. Haas levels at 1 set each.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:23 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Not to fear kihei. Haas is still better than Finland's least appreciated. At least he was that second set. I'm still skeptical about Tommy's ability to play five set matches at this point. Hopefully he won't have to today.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:46 AM
kihei

Volandri continues to make Simon's day an easy one, Gilles up two sets to one and not needing to do much more than keep the ball in play.

Haas back to living dangerously in the third.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Alklha

Good hold from Haas to stay in the third set. Obviously mobility isn't part of his game, but I can't see him getting much worse than what it currently is if the match does go the distance.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:58 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Not to fear kihei. Haas is still better than Finland's least appreciated. At least he was that second set. I'm still skeptical about Tommy's ability to play five set matches at this point. Hopefully he won't have to today.
So much for that hope. Nieminen inelegantly takes the third set.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Volandri continues to make Simon's day an easy one, Gilles up two sets to one and not needing to do much more than keep the ball in play.

Haas back to living dangerously in the third.
Volandri is not a capable player off clay.

Nieminen will always give his opponent chances to get back in a match because he can't dominate with his serve at all. Haas didn't take his at 30-30 in that last game there. Too bad. Very entertaining match right now regardless.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:02 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
So much for that hope. Nieminen inelegantly takes the third set.
I'll never understand your aesthetics of tennis. What exactly is inelegant about Nieminen's game? He plays a nice offensive baseline style and hit a number of lovely down the line shots off both sides at the end of long rallies that set. Is it the serve mechanics again?

Old
01-15-2013, 03:08 AM
Alklha

Nieminen basically gifted that break to Haas from deuce.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:08 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Haas breaks for 2-0 in the fourth. Dear old Mats is back in the booth. And I have to go. Damn.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:16 AM
kihei

After some early resistance, Volandri goes quietly in the fourth. Simon will need to get sharper if he wants to hang around a bit.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:39 AM
kihei

Tomic cruises smoothly in the first against Mayer....Tomic continues to look sleek and lethal against Mayer, taking the second set easily 6-2....and quickly closes the deal in the third, 6-3. Took him all of an hour and a half.

-------------------------------------

Tommy now up a break in the fifth....now 5-5 all in the fifth as the Finn hangs tough...Haas double faults twice to lose a very tired looking service game, and Jarkko is now serving for the match...and he holds for a very well deserved win in a fun match.

--------------------------------------

Monfils looking good against Dolgopolov in the first. Nice to see Gael back; I missed him....Alexandr saves two set points on his way to taking the tie breaker. The momentum would definitely seem to be his. Monfils is back to throwing a lot of softballs, and now that Dolgopolov's service game has picked up that is not likely going to be a successful strategy...

...on serve, 3-3 in the second but now Dolgolpolov is completely dictating the match and Gael is in full retriever mode....another tie breaker and this time Monfils pulls it out. Alexandr looks displeased. Can't blame him....

Monfils breaks for 2-0 in the third. Some nice shot making as he seems re-energized....Alexandr breaks right back. If he keeps his head he should win this match....both players showing off some skills. Wow....but all it leads to is another lost service game for Alexandr, 3-1...but no one seems to be able to hold serve, 3-2 as Dolgopolov breaks back. That's four straight service breaks....amazingly it happens again and Monfils moves to 4-2....finally Gael holds easily for 5-2....Gael serves it out 6-3, and now he's in the driver seat. Entertaining match....should have been in bed hours ago but now I'm hooked.

Dolgopolov struggles but holds to start the fourth. Gael is just making him hit a lot more balls than he would like....I think that's the third service game Monfils has lost on a double fault, 2-0 Alexandr...so naturally Gael breaks right back. Neither guy's serve is much of a mystery to the other at this point....Alex was winning his fair share of points at the net in the first two sets. Not anymore. Monfils passing shots have become deadly....constant pressure from Monfils earns another break and a huge one, 3-2...medical time out for Dolgopolov as his upper thigh on his left leg seems to be bothering him. May be just a tactic to cool off Gael who is in the zone at the moment, but Alexandr did have the trainer out during the previous turnover....didn't cool him off, though, 4-2...huge service game coming up....but Alexandr goes down love-40, almost makes it back to deuce but then pounds a makeable ground stroke into the net, 5-2...Gael quickly blows the next service game at love with two more double faults bringing him to 14 double faults for the match, 5-3...and on the second match point, Gael breaks serve again for the match. 11 service breaks in the match, all of them in the last two sets. Weird statistic, that....What a great way for Monfils to begin the new year. Terrific win.

Last edited by kihei: 01-15-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old
01-15-2013, 04:07 AM
Alklha

Pathetic attempt to consolidate that break from Haas, broken to love. Starting to show some emotion though... which is probably a really bad thing at this stage.

And Nieminen blitzes through a service game.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Alklha

Haas is broken with 2 double faults. Knew it was going to happen after he threw away the chance to win the match 7-5.

I doubt Nieminen is going to be so poor again.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:44 AM
17futurecap

Seems like a great atmosphere out there for Monfils/Dolgo, 1 set each.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Tuggy

Not a great start from Raonic but he settled in and played well enough to win.

Rosol up next, they have never met.

Levine also into the second round, but I still need to warm up to him playing under the Canadian flag.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:

Monfils looking good against Dolgopolov in the first. Nice to see Gael back; I missed him....Alexandr saves two set points on his way to taking the tie breaker. The momentum would definitely seem to be his. Monfils is back to throwing a lot of softballs, and now that Dolgopolov's service game has picked up that is not likely going to be a successful strategy...

...on serve, 3-3 in the second but now Dolgolpolov is completely dictating the match and Gael is in full retriever mode....another tie breaker and this time Monfils pulls it out. Alexandr looks displeased. Can't blame him....

Monfils breaks for 2-0 in the third. Some nice shot making as he seems re-energized....Alexandr breaks right back. If he keeps his head he should win this match....both players showing off some skills. Wow....but all it leads to is another lost service game for Alexandr, 3-1...but no one seems to be able to hold serve, 3-2 as Dolgopolov breaks back. That's four straight service breaks....amazingly it happens again and Monfils moves to 4-2....finally Gael holds easily for 5-2....Gael serves it out 6-3, and now he's in the driver seat. Entertaining match....should have been in bed hours ago but now I'm hooked.

Dolgopolov struggles but holds to start the fourth. Gael is just making him hit a lot more balls than he would like....I think that's the third service game Monfils has lost on a double fault, 2-0 Alexandr...so naturally Gael breaks right back. Neither guy's serve is much of a mystery to the other at this point....Alex was winning his fair share of points at the net in the first two sets. Not anymore. Monfils passing shots have become deadly....constant pressure from Monfils earns another break and a huge one, 3-2...medical time out for Dolgopolov as his upper thigh on his left leg seems to be bothering him. May be just a tactic to cool off Gael who is in the zone at the moment, but Alexandr did have the trainer out during the previous turnover....didn't cool him off, though, 4-2...huge service game coming up....but Alexandr goes down love-40, almost makes it back to deuce but then pounds a makeable ground stroke into the net, 5-2...Gael quickly blows the next service game at love with two more double faults bringing him to 14 double faults for the match, 5-3...and on the second match point, Gael breaks serve again for the match. 11 service breaks in the match, all of them in the last two sets. Weird statistic, that....What a great way for Monfils to begin the new year. Terrific win.
Knew that was going to be a good match, too bad I didn't catch it but thanks for recounting it very detailed

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Amazing how Monfils can come back from injuries like nothing happened. I guess he has a lot of experience coming back from injuries.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
kihei

Not exactly a banner day coming up.

I really want to check out Kuznetsov, though, against Anderson. I was impressed by that kid last year.

Baker/Querrey might be worth a look, too. Lopez/Stepanek, also, I guess. I always so look forward to watching Radek play.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Yeah, not too many matches today I'm looking forward to. Janowicz/Devvarman might be interesting among those first up. I don't rate Devvarman as a player, but he won quite easily in the first round and might make a match of it.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 01-15-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Alklha

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lacko-Tipsarević match go the distance today. Zheng against Stosur will probably be a good match on the womens side. But agreed, not looking a very interesting day on paper.