HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 01:15 AM
  #51
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,448
vCash: 5555
What would Leafs fans prefer to trade? Older, established roster players like Lupul/Phaneuf, or multiple prospects like Kadri/Finn/Biggs?

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:15 AM
  #52
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,967
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Backstrom would be only signed if Reimer had a terrible season. Do you guys ever lose faith in Reimer? How much does he need to lose? I know he is religious, but the way Leaf fans talk there is probably going to be a new religion circling around him soon!
I'm not sure why they'd want Backstrom. Reimer is leading them to their golden land over the next 2 or 3 years (top 5 overall picks). By the time the Leafs are ready Backstrom will be 38.

Best thing the Leafs can do at this stage is to deal guys like Grabo - eat half their salary/cap just to get a bit more in the trade. By the time Grabovski's deal runs out in 2016/17 they should be just about ready to make playoff push.

me2 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:17 AM
  #53
PhillyFrisco
Registered User
 
PhillyFrisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
What would Leafs fans prefer to trade? Older, established roster players like Lupul/Phaneuf, or multiple prospects like Kadri/Finn/Biggs?

Neither. Van gets Tim Connolly, Lombardi and Komisarek.

PhillyFrisco is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:18 AM
  #54
CJV123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Source? I don't recall reading anywhere that Vokoun wanted to go to Toronto.
agreed- nobody in their right mind would prefer TOR to PIT at the end of their career.

CJV123 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:19 AM
  #55
mkoivu9*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,425
vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Backstrom is a good goalie but he also benefits from playing behind one of the most boring trapping teams ever.
Lemaire is gone.

mkoivu9* is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:20 AM
  #56
PhillyFrisco
Registered User
 
PhillyFrisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Are you being a jerk to leaf fans for any particular reason? I don't see how you are adding to this discussion in any way whatsoever.
For whatever reason, Vancouver fans have always hated the Leafs. They think there is some kind of rivalry (which is completely non-existent).

Going back to 2011, the vast majority of Leafs' fans were in support of Vancouver prior to even reaching the finals.

People just like to hate.

PhillyFrisco is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:29 AM
  #57
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
For whatever reason, Vancouver fans have always hated the Leafs. They think there is some kind of rivalry (which is completely non-existent).

Going back to 2011, the vast majority of Leafs' fans were in support of Vancouver prior to even reaching the finals.

People just like to hate.
Typical Toronto narcissism.

Contrary to popular belief, we really don't care about TO.
One buddy of mine is from TO and is obsessed with the notion that everyone from where we live (BC, Canada) are obsessed with TO. It's a paradoxical notion to hold, as anyone arguing that we don't in fact give one, or two ****s about TO, is inherently illustrating obsessive traits towards TO.

Anyway.

We all tend to hope we don't make the trade with you guys because you don't have any expendable quality pieces.

Would much rather trade with... really, any other franchise in the NHL than the Leafs. That's how minimal your teams' depth is at this moment.

That's all!


roach9 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:31 AM
  #58
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
I would really appreciate if everybody involved in this Luongo business would just come along with it and get it over already. Same goes to PK Subban, Ryan O'Reilly, etc. Let's go folks. Lockout's over. Entertain me.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:35 AM
  #59
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
For whatever reason, Vancouver fans have always hated the Leafs. They think there is some kind of rivalry (which is completely non-existent).

Going back to 2011, the vast majority of Leafs' fans were in support of Vancouver prior to even reaching the finals.

People just like to hate.
In all fairness that post was directed at me (who has said on numerous occaisions im a Canucks/Leafs fan)

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:43 AM
  #60
PhillyFrisco
Registered User
 
PhillyFrisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Typical Toronto narcissism.

Contrary to popular belief, we really don't care about TO.
One buddy of mine is from TO and is obsessed with the notion that everyone from where we live (BC, Canada) are obsessed with TO. It's a paradoxical notion to hold, as anyone arguing that we don't in fact give one, or two ****s about TO, is inherently illustrating obsessive traits towards TO.

Anyway.

We all tend to hope we don't make the trade with you guys because you don't have any expendable quality pieces.

Would much rather trade with... really, any other franchise in the NHL than the Leafs. That's how minimal your teams' depth is at this moment.

That's all!


Now if you could just as eloquently express to the rest of your fan base the fact that Luongo's NTC hampers his value, that would be great.

While YOU might not be obsessed with T.O., I can honestly say (from anecdotal evidence) that Canucks fans do indeed display a visceral and unjustified hatred towards the Leafs.

Note: I am a Vancouverite.

I am in agreement with your veiled gibe that TOR might not possess expendable assets for Luongo but alas, the market will dictate value... and, if Lu is only willing to waive his value-deflating NTC for a couple of teams - as most reports have indicated - MG is SOL

PhillyFrisco is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:49 AM
  #61
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Now if you could just as eloquently express to the rest of your fan base the fact that Luongo's NTC hampers his value, that would be great.

While YOU might not be obsessed with T.O., I can honestly say (from anecdotal evidence) that Canucks fans do indeed display a visceral and unjustified hatred towards the Leafs.

Note: I am a Vancouverite.

I am in agreement with your veiled gibe that TOR might not possess expendable assets for Luongo but alas, the market will dictate value... and, if Lu is only willing to waive his value-deflating NTC for a couple of teams - as most reports have indicated - MG is SOL
Where has it been reported where he will waive his NTC? So far I have only heard Luongo say he an open mind. But out of the teams mentioned to have interest in Luongo, which ones have been reported he will not waive his NTC to go to?

Numbers is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:52 AM
  #62
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,189
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Now if you could just as eloquently express to the rest of your fan base the fact that Luongo's NTC hampers his value, that would be great.

While YOU might not be obsessed with T.O., I can honestly say (from anecdotal evidence) that Canucks fans do indeed display a visceral and unjustified hatred towards the Leafs.

Note: I am a Vancouverite.

I am in agreement with your veiled gibe that TOR might not possess expendable assets for Luongo but alas, the market will dictate value... and, if Lu is only willing to waive his value-deflating NTC for a couple of teams - as most reports have indicated - MG is SOL
His NTC only becomes a factor should he choose to exercise it. Thus far, he has not. Quite the contrary, much to our benefit. You can attempt to twist the scenario in whatever way you fancy but that does change what has occurred. Lu has not demanded a trade, his NTC has not impacted his value and Toronto is not going to acquire Lu for trash. If they do at all, it will be the benefit of both teams.

I have no hatred toward Toronto, despite my being a Hab fan. Only slight irritation whenever 'facts' are skewed in such a manner as to favor the Leafs, as you have done. Or that we are told "this is what Lu's value is. Shut up and accept it."

Bourne Endeavor is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:55 AM
  #63
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
OK.

I'm not going to get into it, because I haven't up to this point and there's no reason to now.

But Luongo's NTC is really, not of concern in whatever trade occurs. His contract length, and the ramifications of retiring early certainly are a detriment to his value. But not his NTC.

He has been so vocal regarding his NTC. "I will do what's best for the team."

No reason to think he would abandon his values once he's flipped to another franchise.

roach9 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:57 AM
  #64
luongo321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,773
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Neither. Van gets Tim Connolly, Lombardi and Komisarek.
If we're lucky.

luongo321 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:57 AM
  #65
PhillyFrisco
Registered User
 
PhillyFrisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Where has it been reported where he will waive his NTC? So far I have only heard Luongo say he an open mind. But out of the teams mentioned to have interest in Luongo, which ones have been reported he will not waive his NTC to go to?
Canucks' very own beat reporter Dan Murphy: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...leafs_canucks/

This article only mentions TB & TOR but we can assume that FLA is another team. I've also heard CHI mentioned before but other than that, not much. Being in control of where you and your family will live for the next 4-6 years is a great perk.

PhillyFrisco is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:01 AM
  #66
Samzilla
Registered User
 
Samzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,311
vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Canucks' very own beat reporter Dan Murphy: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...leafs_canucks/

This article only mentions TB & TOR but we can assume that FLA is another team. I've also heard CHI mentioned before but other than that, not much. Being in control of where you and your family will live for the next 4-6 years is a great perk.
I thought this link would be to something new. Then I saw it's from April 2012.

Samzilla is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:03 AM
  #67
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Canucks' very own beat reporter Dan Murphy: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...leafs_canucks/

This article only mentions TB & TOR but we can assume that FLA is another team. I've also heard CHI mentioned before but other than that, not much. Being in control of where you and your family will live for the next 4-6 years is a great perk.
Ok thanks. But it only says who he would waive his NTC for, not who he will not. And surprisingly enough the 2 teams most interested Luongo seems to be ok with. I'm sorry I just don't see the problem here?

Numbers is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:07 AM
  #68
PhillyFrisco
Registered User
 
PhillyFrisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
OK.

I'm not going to get into it, because I haven't up to this point and there's no reason to now.

But Luongo's NTC is really, not of concern in whatever trade occurs. His contract length, and the ramifications of retiring early certainly are a detriment to his value. But not his NTC.

He has been so vocal regarding his NTC. "I will do what's best for the team."

No reason to think he would abandon his values once he's flipped to another franchise.

Could you be so naive? Of COURSE Lu's going to say that... "I will do what's best for the team."

Let me get this straight, you are Luongo. Why in the hell would you "do what's best for the [canucks]" when doing so will remove your new team of valuable assets and/or your family's happiness?

Example... Columbus would like to make a deal. They offer blue chip prospects Ryan Johansen and Ryan Murray for Luongo. This would definitely be "what's best for the team." Not best for Luongo, his family, or his new organization... "but he said he'd do what's best for the team!"

Come-on!

PhillyFrisco is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:08 AM
  #69
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,743
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
While YOU might not be obsessed with T.O., I can honestly say (from anecdotal evidence) that Canucks fans do indeed display a visceral and unjustified hatred towards the Leafs.
This is not representative of Leafs fans, or Toronto as a whole, but a few of your fellow fans illustrate why Canucks, and Habs, and everyone, display "visceral and unjustified hatred" towards the Leafs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Neither. Van gets Tim Connolly, Lombardi and Komisarek.
This is just what happened to be on the page.

Right...and we're delusional and unreasonable. One of those is you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Note: I am a Vancouverite.

I am in agreement with your veiled gibe that TOR might not possess expendable assets for Luongo but alas, the market will dictate value... and, if Lu is only willing to waive his value-deflating NTC for a couple of teams - as most reports have indicated - MG is SOL
NTC is limited to a few teams, but I have been saying we're are terrible trading partners since before the post-season began. He's already said he's willing to waive, if asked, and Gillis won't ask unless it improves our team. I haven't read any reports of him taking this back, have you got some links? The closest I remember hearing is shying away from Columbus in the CFOX interview a few months ago.

As for SOL, we've been hit hard when the cap was introduced before, we didn't just survive, but we thrived, and dropping a select few contracts is fine here. Two buy outs, most of our deadweight contracts expiring, and prospects we've been seasoning as long as we can on cheap deals. Luongo pulled us through to the playoffs once, and if we don't get what we want in a trade, I am confident he will again.


Last edited by spiny norman: 01-15-2013 at 02:19 AM. Reason: qdp
Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:10 AM
  #70
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,743
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Could you be so naive? Of COURSE Lu's going to say that... "I will do what's best for the team."

Let me get this straight, you are Luongo. Why in the hell would you "do what's best for the [canucks]" when doing so will remove your new team of valuable assets and/or your family's happiness?

Example... Columbus would like to make a deal. They offer blue chip prospects Ryan Johansen and Ryan Murray for Luongo. This would definitely be "what's best for the team." Not best for Luongo, his family, or his new organization... "but he said he'd do what's best for the team!"

Come-on!
So Luongo is a self serving liar and fraud, and Nonis, who has been at the job since Friday, is the George Washinton of hockey and cannot tell a lie. Got it.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:10 AM
  #71
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Do you have a source for that? I never heard that.
On the day before he signed with the Washington Capitals last summer, a representative of Tomas Vokoun called the Maple Leafs and inquired about whether there was interest in the free-agent goaltender.

The Leafs said they had none.

Now, in fact, they have a different view. Vokoun is among the goaltenders the Leafs have targeted as they head towards the NHL draft and looming free agency.

And while it may not seem like the most ambitious of pursuits by the Leafs, it represents a nice, and relatively inexpensive Plan B, should the Leafs determine they can’t or won’t go after the very available Roberto Luongo.

Vokoun’s numbers over the past four years are very similar to those of Luongo’s. His goals-against average is slightly higher — having played three of those four years — for the Florida Panthers, but over those years Vokoun’s save percentage was actually higher.

The Leafs say they still believe in James Reimer, which means they may be more interested in going after a stop-gap 36-year-old like Vokoun, rather than being entangled by Luongo’s lengthy contract.

The other advantage of Vokoun: He doesn’t cost the Leafs anything in return. The price is cheaper in salary and in delivery.

It may not happen come July — but understand, the acquisition of Vokoun is being strongly considered.

article from the sun stating he reached out to the Leafs still working on the kyper quote where he says we turned the deal the pens gave him will have that in a minute

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:11 AM
  #72
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
For whatever reason, Vancouver fans have always hated the Leafs. They think there is some kind of rivalry (which is completely non-existent).

Going back to 2011, the vast majority of Leafs' fans were in support of Vancouver prior to even reaching the finals.

People just like to hate.
Rivals compete. No one in Vancouver thinks the Leafs are our rival. The notion is ridiculous. The Leafs haven't beaten us since 2004.

Of course there are people from each fan base who hate each other.

I mostly feel bad for Leafs fans. Although, it's a huge fan base and thus their fringe fan boys out number most on this website. Every team has them including mine, but there is a large delusional faction here. I'm talking about the ones who expect all 20 prospects on their depth chart to reach maximum potential. These are people who seem to have no history of the odds that any team's first, second or third rounders make it, let alone Toronto's draft history.

The majority of their fan base are just great hockey fans with the unfortunate predicament of cheering for a team that is spinning their wheels. No franchise's fans deserves to go through what they have. Without going back to Ballard or Stavros, the past 8 years have been unbearable and for missing the playoffs for as long as they have, to have the 20th deepest prospect pool stinks.

I actually would really like to see Toronto improve. I'd love for all 7 Canadian franchises to be in the playoffs every year. I want the cup back in Canada.

Nash is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:13 AM
  #73
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Could you be so naive? Of COURSE Lu's going to say that... "I will do what's best for the team."

Let me get this straight, you are Luongo. Why in the hell would you "do what's best for the [canucks]" when doing so will remove your new team of valuable assets and/or your family's happiness?

Example... Columbus would like to make a deal. They offer blue chip prospects Ryan Johansen and Ryan Murray for Luongo. This would definitely be "what's best for the team." Not best for Luongo, his family, or his new organization... "but he said he'd do what's best for the team!"

Come-on!
That's a terrible example because first of all the Blue Jackets would not do it, and secondly the Canucks could just waive Luongo to the Blue Jackets, then send Raymond for that blue chip prospect haha. Luongo doesn't really have a choice in this scenario. Instead of speculating lets wait and see.

Numbers is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:13 AM
  #74
topcat986*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Morgan Gardiner;57614019]Niklas Backstrom on July 5th.

Book it.[/QUOTE

You are the kind of fan that makes others laugh at Leaf nation. No Free agent worth a damn wants to sign with Toronto and the circus that they are at this moment. Change the perception is truly necessary at this time. I love the Leafs and I am a Bruins fan........ then again how could any Bruin fan not love the Leafs

topcat986* is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:14 AM
  #75
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Do you have a source for that? I never heard that.
source #2 about 1 minute in

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey_central_at_noon/

link doesn't work i'll re paste

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.