HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
On the day before he signed with the Washington Capitals last summer, a representative of Tomas Vokoun called the Maple Leafs and inquired about whether there was interest in the free-agent goaltender.

The Leafs said they had none.

Now, in fact, they have a different view. Vokoun is among the goaltenders the Leafs have targeted as they head towards the NHL draft and looming free agency.

And while it may not seem like the most ambitious of pursuits by the Leafs, it represents a nice, and relatively inexpensive Plan B, should the Leafs determine they can’t or won’t go after the very available Roberto Luongo.

Vokoun’s numbers over the past four years are very similar to those of Luongo’s. His goals-against average is slightly higher — having played three of those four years — for the Florida Panthers, but over those years Vokoun’s save percentage was actually higher.

The Leafs say they still believe in James Reimer, which means they may be more interested in going after a stop-gap 36-year-old like Vokoun, rather than being entangled by Luongo’s lengthy contract.

The other advantage of Vokoun: He doesn’t cost the Leafs anything in return. The price is cheaper in salary and in delivery.

It may not happen come July — but understand, the acquisition of Vokoun is being strongly considered.

article from the sun stating he reached out to the Leafs still working on the kyper quote where he says we turned the deal the pens gave him will have that in a minute
Clearly there was some effort and thought put into your post, but I've got to ask, are there links to any of this? Even a name? I mean signing a 2 million dollar a year deal with a team that has a bonafide starter makes this seem completely counter intuitive if there was interest in signing where he was needed.

Edit: You beat me to it, good show.

Edit: Edit: No, that was about Nonis not wanting to trade young players. Which leads me to wonder who exactly he'd be offering if he still wants in on this.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:17 AM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
On the day before he signed with the Washington Capitals last summer, a representative of Tomas Vokoun called the Maple Leafs and inquired about whether there was interest in the free-agent goaltender.

The Leafs said they had none.

Now, in fact, they have a different view. Vokoun is among the goaltenders the Leafs have targeted as they head towards the NHL draft and looming free agency.

And while it may not seem like the most ambitious of pursuits by the Leafs, it represents a nice, and relatively inexpensive Plan B, should the Leafs determine they can’t or won’t go after the very available Roberto Luongo.

Vokoun’s numbers over the past four years are very similar to those of Luongo’s. His goals-against average is slightly higher — having played three of those four years — for the Florida Panthers, but over those years Vokoun’s save percentage was actually higher.

The Leafs say they still believe in James Reimer, which means they may be more interested in going after a stop-gap 36-year-old like Vokoun, rather than being entangled by Luongo’s lengthy contract.

The other advantage of Vokoun: He doesn’t cost the Leafs anything in return. The price is cheaper in salary and in delivery.

It may not happen come July — but understand, the acquisition of Vokoun is being strongly considered.

article from the sun stating he reached out to the Leafs still working on the kyper quote where he says we turned the deal the pens gave him will have that in a minute
Well Leafs didn get him, end of story.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:19 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
Ideal season...

1. Don't trade for Luongo
2. Win games vs. Montreal and Ottawa
3. Lose to everyone else
4. Nathan MacKinnon
5. Dominate AHL for years

Oh I agree with point number 5 easily. How about Toronto do the most obvious ****in thing of all time and spend there huge resource of cash and use it on scouting as in over pay the best evaluators they can acquire and stop wasting money on idiots Kommisarek and Macaurthur and lebda's of this world? There f***in backyard is the OHL jesus do that and within 8 years the Leafs do not contend they have dynasty odds.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:19 AM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
This is not representative of Leafs fans, or Toronto as a whole, but a few of your fellow fans illustrate why Canucks, and Habs, and everyone, display "visceral and unjustified hatred" towards the Leafs:

This is just what happened to be on the page.

Right...and we're delusional and unreasonable. One of those is you as well.

NTC is limited to a few teams, but I have been saying we're are terrible trading partners since before the post-season began. He's already said he's willing to waive, if asked, and Gillis won't ask unless it improves our team. I haven't read any reports of him taking this back, have you got some links? The closest I remember hearing is shying away from Columbus in the CFOX interview a few months ago.

As for SOL, we've been hit hard when the cap was introduced before, we didn't just survive, but we thrived, and dropping a select few contracts is fine here. Two buy outs, most of our deadweight contracts expiring, and prospects we've been seasoning as long as we can on cheap deals. Luongo pulled us through to the playoffs once, and if we don't get what we want in a trade, I am confident he will again.
Apparently, I shouldn't have omitted the sarcasm smiley in my obviously inane proposal.

We are not good trade partners.

Lu is an excellent goalie who has received unfair criticism in this city despite taking his team to game 7 of the SCF as well as winning a gold medal for canada. It's disgusting.

Quote:
So Luongo is a self serving liar and fraud, and Nonis, who has been at the job since Friday, is the George Washinton of hockey and cannot tell a lie. Got it.
It's called diplomacy and tact. Lu has it. No one is saying Lu is a "self-serving liar and fraud" but if you actually believe his diplomatic diction and hold him accountable to it, you may wrongly refer to him as such.

Don't know what Nux fans keep referring to with the notion that Nonis is telling lies?

Old
01-15-2013, 02:20 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Clearly there was some effort and thought put into your post, but I've got to ask, are there links to any of this? Even a name? I mean signing a 2 million dollar a year deal with a team that has a bonafide starter makes this seem completely counter intuitive if there was interest in signing where he was needed.

Edit: You beat me to it, good show.

Edit: Edit: No, that was about Nonis not wanting to trade young players. Which leads me to wonder who exactly he'd be offering if he still wants in on this.
still looking for the kyper quote but i'll find it

Old
01-15-2013, 02:27 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucicfist View Post
Oh I agree with point number 5 easily. How about Toronto do the most obvious ****in thing of all time and spend there huge resource of cash and use it on scouting as in over pay the best evaluators they can acquire and stop wasting money on idiots Kommisarek and Macaurthur and lebda's of this world? There f***in backyard is the OHL jesus do that and within 8 years the Leafs do not contend they have dynasty odds.
Toronto makes the most money in the league and should spend the most on scouts and development. It can't be all Burke's decision to sign players like Komisarek, Connolly, Armstrong, etc. There is a team of evaluators that influenced those decisions and they are still there. I understand it is tough to lure big names to play for a losing team, but the second tier UFA signing are so bad and overplayed that you end up with LACK and buyouts.

Firing Burke isn't going far enough to foster organizational change.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:28 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Apparently, I shouldn't have omitted the sarcasm smiley in my obviously inane proposal.

We are not good trade partners.

Lu is an excellent goalie who has received unfair criticism in this city despite taking his team to game 7 of the SCF as well as winning a gold medal for canada. It's disgusting.

It's called diplomacy and tact. Lu has it. No one is saying Lu is a "self-serving liar and fraud" but if you actually believe his diplomatic diction and hold him accountable to it, you may wrongly refer to him as such.

Don't know what Nux fans keep referring to with the notion that Nonis is telling lies?
None taken, I have been called out several times for sarcasm or dryness in my posts...I think the new rule of thumb should be if it's sarcastic, use the smiley to avoid confusion. It is telling that I thought it was real, because I have seen that kind of post with no sarcasm.

No we are not. I seem to agree a lot more with posters on both side that I can see eye to eye with on this point. Common ground and what not.

His contract is a negative. I don't think it's all bad, but the way people talk about his play dropping and his age being a factor and etc. etc. etc....it's enough to read sarcastic posts as honest posts.

You may not be, but Gillis saying "we're not trading him unless its a package that helps us" or Luongo saying "I'm happy playing here in for awhile" seems to get shouted down, and usually the same people hole Ansemli and Nonis and Burke up on a pedestal. I can't remember you doing either of both, but it happens every time we cite the guy.

Two reasons really. One is the above. I don't think he is any more or less honest then Gillis, but someone trying to tell me the man that honestly built up our team and has no reason to lie to the media is lying, I just feel it's only fair to lump everyone together using the same logic. The second is his time here. I'm not saying it's a "fraudulent" lie, but even with decent drafting and a few good acquisitions, Nonis basically used Luongo as a crutch here, both preventing a serious rebuild and deliberately or not, bungled two seasons here, one before and one after Luongo joining the team.

I hope his second chance as a GM goes smoother then the roller coaster ride we had.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
still looking for the kyper quote but i'll find it
I'd like to say I'll be waiting, but it's late, I have work in the morning, and if you get it up, I'm sure I'll hear about it. I don't mean to be putting undue pressure on it, just this would be...kind of big news I missed.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:31 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
These guys just spent literally 4 months doing nothing else but mulling things over. If GMs don't know if they want Luongo by now, then what have they been doing during the lockout? Taking sewing lessons?

Most teams in the NHL are happy with their goaltending situation or are tanking/rebuilding. If there is no trade by puck drop then you know nobody was willing to pay the Roster Player + Prospect reported asking price.
I'm surprised you can't answer such basic questions yourself. Maybe GM's that are interested in Luongo don't want to pay what Gillis is asking, so like I posted earlier, they're trying to play the situation to their strengths to knock the price down.

Just because the player isn't immediately traded, doesn't mean there's no one interested in him. I can't think of something more obvious than that.

Your conclusions are delusions rather than any kind of logical summation of events.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:38 AM
KPower

Sounds like bozak and Kadri would get the deal done.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:39 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
I'd like to say I'll be waiting, but it's late, I have work in the morning, and if you get it up, I'm sure I'll hear about it. I don't mean to be putting undue pressure on it, just this would be...kind of big news I missed.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1202209 this HFboards thread has the qoute in it's title let me know if the link doesn't work

Old
01-15-2013, 02:40 AM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
None taken, I have been called out several times for sarcasm or dryness in my posts...I think the new rule of thumb should be if it's sarcastic, use the smiley to avoid confusion. It is telling that I thought it was real, because I have seen that kind of post with no sarcasm.

No we are not. I seem to agree a lot more with posters on both side that I can see eye to eye with on this point. Common ground and what not.

His contract is a negative. I don't think it's all bad, but the way people talk about his play dropping and his age being a factor and etc. etc. etc....it's enough to read sarcastic posts as honest posts.

You may not be, but Gillis saying "we're not trading him unless its a package that helps us" or Luongo saying "I'm happy playing here in for awhile" seems to get shouted down, and usually the same people hole Ansemli and Nonis and Burke up on a pedestal. I can't remember you doing either of both, but it happens every time we cite the guy.

Two reasons really. One is the above. I don't think he is any more or less honest then Gillis, but someone trying to tell me the man that honestly built up our team and has no reason to lie to the media is lying, I just feel it's only fair to lump everyone together using the same logic. The second is his time here. I'm not saying it's a "fraudulent" lie, but even with decent drafting and a few good acquisitions, Nonis basically used Luongo as a crutch here, both preventing a serious rebuild and deliberately or not, bungled two seasons here, one before and one after Luongo joining the team.

I hope his second chance as a GM goes smoother then the roller coaster ride we had.

Fair enough. WIth regards to Nonis... I thought he served the canucks very well and did a great job of not relenting to the pressures of going all-in prematurely. Disregarding his penchant for dealing away 2nd round picks (most end up duds anyways), his patience paid dividends and Vancouver could just as easily have won the cup during that 2011 run. MG has done great but imo, the cornerstones which the canucks are comprised of were ultimately the works of BB and Dave Nonis. To me, Nonis got stabbed in the back by Aquillini but MG has been good for you.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:41 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1202209 this HFboards thread has the qoute in it's title let me know if the link doesn't work
Someone definitely quoted it, but the link itself goes to the same page. I still find it harder to believe, but there some of it is. Hell, I think we found another reason for the firing, in with the others.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:41 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucicfist View Post
So first it will be the oilers dynasty then the leafs.

Last edited by Lonny Bohonos: 01-15-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old
01-15-2013, 02:45 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Someone definitely quoted it, but the link itself goes to the same page. I still find it harder to believe, but there some of it is. Hell, I think we found another reason for the firing, in with the others.
safe to say I didn't make it up yet? I mean we got the sun article the kyper quote although i'd like to find it someplace else.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:48 AM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
Sounds like bozak and Kadri would get the deal done.
The value is fair and I would rather replace Kadri with our 1st round pick and Bozak with other assets but in the end, Leafs are in no position to mortgage almost-nhl-ready futures as we will not be contenders for a few more years (i hope).

Personally, my best offer would consist of Leafs' 1st round pick (top 5 protected), Clark MacArthur or Tim Connolly, and a mid range prospect such as Carter Ashton or a 2nd round pick.

In a parallel universe where the final piece for TOR to be contenders was a goalie + if Lu didn't have a NTC, value would be more in line with 1st rounder + top prospect + roster player but this is not the case.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:49 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Fair enough. WIth regards to Nonis... I thought he served the canucks very well and did a great job of not relenting to the pressures of going all-in prematurely. Disregarding his penchant for dealing away 2nd round picks (most end up duds anyways), his patience paid dividends and Vancouver could just as easily have won the cup during that 2011 run. MG has done great but imo, the cornerstones which the canucks are comprised of were ultimately the works of BB and Dave Nonis. To me, Nonis got stabbed in the back by Aquillini but MG has been good for you.
It wasn't all in, but he kept the Burke tradition of giving up 2nd and 3rd round picks out like candy on halloween for rentals. However, in Nonis' time here, while he continued with Burkes core, and did add Edler, Bieksa, Mitchell, Raymond, Schneider, Hansen and Burrows to it, he failed to add any complimentary players of any note, leaving the core to being exposed. The Sedin's became top line players too, but more as a default with Naslund's downturn and Bertuzzi being traded.

He also kept core members, who as much as I hated to see go, had to. Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Ohlund, Salo...all could have contributed in better ways, if the goal was to keep them, had complimentary players of note been in to help them.

I hate to say it, but he did have the cajones to make the Luongo trade, even if I am dubious that he was more then a customer being sold Luongo. This is why, if Toronto is still interested, Nonis will be willing to make a major change for, say, Luongo, to put his stamp on the team as soon as he can. I'm not saying Gardiner, but not then Kadri+Bozak either.

I believe Aquilini, when he was part owner, didn't want to give Nonis or Tambellini the promotion, but it was a board decision to do so, and this led, or added, to tension with other owners like Gaglardi. Honestly, I think Gillis is one of the best things to happen to this franchise since Linden came back.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
safe to say I didn't make it up yet? I mean we got the sun article the kyper quote although i'd like to find it someplace else.
Never said you did, just inquired as to the source. It could be source was bs too, but it follows at least

If you do, post it, someone will recycle it in here...but that just seems....stupid for the Leafs to have done. Like baby town frolics. A top 10-15 goalie for nothing but cap space...and nothing doing. Eeesh.

As for me, bedtime. Good night all, don't implode the thread without me.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:17 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
The value is fair and I would rather replace Kadri with our 1st round pick and Bozak with other assets but in the end, Leafs are in no position to mortgage almost-nhl-ready futures as we will not be contenders for a few more years (i hope).

Personally, my best offer would consist of Leafs' 1st round pick (top 5 protected), Clark MacArthur or Tim Connolly, and a mid range prospect such as Carter Ashton or a 2nd round pick.

In a parallel universe where the final piece for TOR to be contenders was a goalie + if Lu didn't have a NTC, value would be more in line with 1st rounder + top prospect + roster player but this is not the case.
Said no Leafs fan ever

Until now

Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by agropop View Post
Love Lou, but in no way interested in giving up any of our best prospects for him. Happy to roll the dice with Reimer and Scrivens and let this season turn out however it may... Our best prospects need to be developed, not traded (for once)
That's what I'd do at this point, too.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:36 AM
NeoCanuck

Send a message via AIM to NeoCanuck Send a message via MSN to NeoCanuck
Toronto fans,
all we want is your top prospects.

Is that too much to ask?

www.hasluongobeentraded.com

Old
01-15-2013, 03:38 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCanuck View Post
Toronto fans,
all we want is your top prospects.

Is that too much to ask?

www.hasluongobeentraded.com
yes it is

Old
01-15-2013, 03:47 AM
NeoCanuck

Send a message via AIM to NeoCanuck Send a message via MSN to NeoCanuck
Quote:
yes it is
Is Reimer, Kulemin and a 2nd the new version of Halak, Ryder and a 2nd?

Old
01-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Mailbox Head
Registered Schmoozer

Quote:
Never said you did, just inquired as to the source. It could be source was bs too, but it follows at least

If you do, post it, someone will recycle it in here...but that just seems....stupid for the Leafs to have done. Like baby town frolics. A top 10-15 goalie for nothing but cap space...and nothing doing. Eeesh.

As for me, bedtime. Good night all, don't implode the thread without me.
Right?

Archer. Just gold.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:02 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCanuck View Post
Is Reimer, Kulemin and a 2nd the new version of Halak, Ryder and a 2nd?
When did a Leafs fan offer that.

Closed Thread