HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How the Islanders leave Nassau early

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2013, 05:52 PM
  #51
lost35*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post

Wanting the Islanders to remain in Nassau County in a brand new state-of-the-art arena is like wanting the Islanders to get Steven Stamkos. They're nice to fantasize about, but when you come back down to reality you realize neither situation is very likely.
I could care less about a "state of the art arena"

Playing in that old "dump" was part of its charm

I do not want the Isles to leave Nassau Period.

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:54 PM
  #52
lost35*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
Brooklyn is on long island
yea tell that to a "brooklynite"

I am sure they really feel part of Long Island

Or want to feel part of Long Island

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:58 PM
  #53
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
I could care less about a "state of the art arena"

Playing in that old "dump" was part of its charm

I do not want the Isles to leave Nassau Period.
Unrestricted free agents (and even guys we trade for), on the other hand, didn't really appreciate the charm of playing in an old dump.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
  #54
coachdny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Get over it.... The sooner we move the better for the franchise, the team and the fans.

coachdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:31 PM
  #55
beach
Things are looking
 
beach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: here
Country: United States
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
well I said in 10 years, meaning within

They will be the New York Islanders with the logo we have known for the last 40 years, (outside of the fisherman era) for the first couple of years in Brooklyn

Then they will see the Isles arent catching on with Brooklyn, and if attendance is not good and there is no Buzz in Brooklyn with the Islanders, you better believe they are going to be called the Brooklyn Islanders or change the logo completely

Why would Brooklyn want a logo of Long Island on their Jerseys?
You have aptly named yourself.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:01 PM
  #56
Islander102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Count me in as wanting to see some more lottery seasons where the team doesn't even pretend to try and ice a competitive product just so I can watch them play in a building where not one positive thing has happened in 20 years. Oh wait, no I don't, because that would be retarded.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:17 PM
  #57
Yitz
Registered User
 
Yitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
I could care less about a "state of the art arena"

Playing in that old "dump" was part of its charm

I do not want the Isles to leave Nassau Period.
NVMC has no charm. It's a ****** arena. I saw the Albany Devils at the Times Union Center and was impressed by THEIR arena. That's how badly the NVMC sucks. Honestly it doesn't matter if you want the Isles in Nassau or not because Nassau clearly did not want the Isles. This is gonna become Brooklyn's team and the Isles are gonna thrive as a result. **** Long Island, Brooklyn all the way.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:30 PM
  #58
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 3,677
vCash: 500
I don't get the Islanders fans who dislike the coliseum. It is my favorite arena in sports right now. It is a throwback.

But I also prefer shea to Citi, old yankee to new yankee, and the spectrum.

The coli has history, nuance, nostalgia, sightlines, convenience. It's a dying a breed as a fan friendly suburban arena. It should be celebrated in its dying breaths, not **** on

stranger34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:26 PM
  #59
seafoam
Registered User
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,002
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
and I predict Wang sells as soon as we go to Barclays

if you ask me that is why he got this done

he never wanted the team anymore

announced the team is moving to Brooklyn and will "stay" in New York

Wang looks like a hero

now he has a franchise that is desirable to buyers

and he sells and makes his money
I think you're 'lost'

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:46 AM
  #60
Sparksrus3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
yea tell that to a "brooklynite"

I am sure they really feel part of Long Island

Or want to feel part of Long Island
It is just a geographic fact. If you look at the logo Brooklyn is on it and always has been. I can tell you are angry. If you live in the newer,hip,renovated towns good for you ,but remember Brownsville and East New York are part of Brooklyn too.It is all on Long Island. LETS GO ISLANDERS!

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:46 AM
  #61
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,549
vCash: 500
Let's skip the ridiculous idea of other options on LI for the Isles (there were none), along with arguing whether Brooklyn is on LI (hint: look at a globe), and get back to the thread topic. IMO the Isles are in Brooklyn long before 2015.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:25 AM
  #62
Steve55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
It is just a geographic fact. If you look at the logo Brooklyn is on it and always has been. I can tell you are angry. If you live in the newer,hip,renovated towns good for you ,but remember Brownsville and East New York are part of Brooklyn too.It is all on Long Island. LETS GO ISLANDERS!
I don't believe Brooklyn is part of the Isles current logo. However, Brooklyn and Queens need to be accommodated sooner or later. Why don't the Isles use the NASA satellite version of geographical Long Island.


Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:38 AM
  #63
AaronIsles
Registered User
 
AaronIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NewYork/Florida
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
If Nassau wanted to keep them the proposed stadium would be being built as we speak.

AaronIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:31 PM
  #64
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
they are not moving across town

they are moving to Brooklyn, which is a whole other world

they wont be called the New York Islanders in 10 years

Our logo will completely change

I guess that is ok with some

Those Stanley Cup Banners and Retired Jersey numbers will look like another teams Banners hanging in the rafters at Barclays
Nassau doesn't want the Isles. They voted it down. You only have the residents of Nassau to blame for that-nothing else. NVMC is PATHETIC. Yes PATHETIC. I moved away from LI in 97-and even then it was time to move on.

Nassau was NOT an option. Due to the residents and politicians (who the residents voted in). Wang I'm not a big fan of at all-and I know most aren't. But nobody in their right mind can say that Wang didn't bust his butt trying to keep the Isles in Nassau-he tried for over a decade (literally).

Brookyln is a MUCH better option than Quebec. Even if they change their logo and name. Get over it.

Fans who want the Isles to stay in a pathetic arena, with pathetic attendance, pathetic fan support (not including the diehards like the ones on HF), pathetic roster year after year.

I'm 26 years old-I LITERALLY cannot remember a time when the Isles won a playoff series. Not a Cup, not a decent run-but a playoff series.

This team has had 2-TWO-good moments in the past 20 years. And 1 of them was a first round exit as a 5th seeded team. The franchise and fans are living in the past. I'm sick of hearing about the dynasty-it ended 30 years ago. Most players on our roster weren't even alive-let remember-the last cup.

Brooklyn is the start of a new page in Isles history-and GOOD. It can't be any worse than the one we're about to turn.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:22 PM
  #65
Steve55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Nassau doesn't want the Isles. They voted it down. You only have the residents of Nassau to blame for that-nothing else. NVMC is PATHETIC. Yes PATHETIC. I moved away from LI in 97-and even then it was time to move on.

Nassau was NOT an option. Due to the residents and politicians (who the residents voted in). Wang I'm not a big fan of at all-and I know most aren't. But nobody in their right mind can say that Wang didn't bust his butt trying to keep the Isles in Nassau-he tried for over a decade (literally).

Brookyln is a MUCH better option than Quebec. Even if they change their logo and name. Get over it.

Fans who want the Isles to stay in a pathetic arena, with pathetic attendance, pathetic fan support (not including the diehards like the ones on HF), pathetic roster year after year.

I'm 26 years old-I LITERALLY cannot remember a time when the Isles won a playoff series. Not a Cup, not a decent run-but a playoff series.

This team has had 2-TWO-good moments in the past 20 years. And 1 of them was a first round exit as a 5th seeded team. The franchise and fans are living in the past. I'm sick of hearing about the dynasty-it ended 30 years ago. Most players on our roster weren't even alive-let remember-the last cup.

Brooklyn is the start of a new page in Isles history-and GOOD. It can't be any worse than the one we're about to turn.
I felt the Isles had to leave Nassau when I heard rumours swirling about Ziggy Palffy possibly being dealt to the Rangers in 1999 (my high school grad year). Even though I wasn't an Isles fan back then, that news really saddened me.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:38 PM
  #66
Isles Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
you're talking about happened 30 friggin' years ago!

Let's see... you can move the team 25 or so miles west into a state of the art building in the biggest city on the planet where the "joke" tag will be IMMEDIATELY removed or you can keep them in suburban purgatory for two lame duck years where the spending problems Wang has now will persist. Yea... I think I'll go with the former.

.
If you think for a second that the "joke" tag is removed because they change addresses you are sadly mistaken. That tag goes away once ownership starts spending some money and puts a quality product on the ice. That tag goes away when they get rid of the former back up goalie as the GM. That tag goes away when they hire a real coach.

Where they play doesen't matter if ownership is dedicated to winning, which we all know Wang is not. If you need any proof just look at the Mets. Shinny new stadium that was only half full by the end of its first season. Why? Cause they sucked.

People don't like to watch losing teams. It is a simple concept. In 2001 when Wang took over and they sold out almost every home game, they did so cause of Yashin, Peca, Osgood et al and they won. Quality players, quality product. DiPietro, Guerin, Hilbert, Sim, Pock et al and they lost. Crappy team, crappy results, empty building.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:38 AM
  #67
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
I don't believe Brooklyn is part of the Isles current logo. However, Brooklyn and Queens need to be accommodated sooner or later. Why don't the Isles use the NASA satellite version of geographical Long Island.

It's a logo. Seriously, who gives a *hit?

If I grew up right under the Brooklyn Bridge, I'd be disgusted the logo didn't match the one on Nystrom's chest at 7:11 of OT because we went diddling for whatever reason.

For chrissakes, worry about the defense and DP coming back like scorching herpes every friggen year!


It's a mother f***ing logo! Yikes!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:40 AM
  #68
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Let's see... you can move the team 25 or so miles west into a state of the art building in the biggest city on the planet where the "joke" tag will be IMMEDIATELY removed or you can keep them in suburban purgatory for two lame duck years where the spending problems Wang has now will persist.
sorry to be nitpicking, but i feel strongly about this. Population comparisons by city are a tricky thing, but New york is never, and has probably never been, the largest city on earth.

please excuse my little outburst

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:43 AM
  #69
Steve55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
It's a logo. Seriously, who gives a *hit?

If I grew up right under the Brooklyn Bridge, I'd be disgusted the logo didn't match the one on Nystrom's chest at 7:11 of OT because we went diddling for whatever reason.

For chrissakes, worry about the defense and DP coming back like scorching herpes every friggen year!


It's a mother f***ing logo! Yikes!
If you want to keep living in the past, more power to you, since everyone else is moving on.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:35 AM
  #70
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"
 
Kings County KING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 718 (Go NJD & NYI!)
Posts: 519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
It's a logo. Seriously, who gives a *hit?

If I grew up right under the Brooklyn Bridge, I'd be disgusted the logo didn't match the one on Nystrom's chest at 7:11 of OT because we went diddling for whatever reason.

For chrissakes, worry about the defense and DP coming back like scorching herpes every friggen year!


It's a mother f***ing logo! Yikes!
Because the Islanders are moving into Rangers turf and a Long Island-exclusive identity isn't going to endear them to the locals. They have the opportunity to become a big market franchise now that they're playing in an urban area. The team will never make Rangers money, but they certainly don't need to have players refusing to play for them, either.

A new logo that welcomes new fans from Brooklyn and Queens will be far more appropriate going forward than a logo containing a map of Nassau and Suffolk. Either modify it, or come up with a new one.

Kings County KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:03 AM
  #71
lorwood
Registered User
 
lorwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
If you think for a second that the "joke" tag is removed because they change addresses you are sadly mistaken. That tag goes away once ownership starts spending some money and puts a quality product on the ice. That tag goes away when they get rid of the former back up goalie as the GM. That tag goes away when they hire a real coach.

Where they play doesen't matter if ownership is dedicated to winning, which we all know Wang is not. If you need any proof just look at the Mets. Shinny new stadium that was only half full by the end of its first season. Why? Cause they sucked.

People don't like to watch losing teams. It is a simple concept. In 2001 when Wang took over and they sold out almost every home game, they did so cause of Yashin, Peca, Osgood et al and they won. Quality players, quality product. DiPietro, Guerin, Hilbert, Sim, Pock et al and they lost. Crappy team, crappy results, empty building.
IMO as with most things in life the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Your point in many way's is spot on. In order for Brooklyn to succeed Wang must get off the cap floor.

But in today's sports economic climate you need corporate support and high visibility to generate the dollars needed to compete. At least that should be the formula.

The Islanders are projected to bump up revenues by 35 mil a year by moving to Brooklyn.

Given Nassau's unwillingness to accommodate the Islanders the move to Brooklyn became 50% of the solution, and you need to get half way there before you can finish anything.

So the Islanders are half way there.

Now the rest is up to Wang.

Hopefully there is some pressure put on Wang from the Barclay's group to ice a competitive team.

The comparison to the Mets is irrelevant. Whether they are guilty of wrong doing or not the Wilpons (nor half of Wall Street) saw the Madoff fiasco coming.

The bottom line is that the faster they get to Brooklyn the faster they inject new capital and hopefully the faster Wang has to start running a team on more than just surviving.

Half way there.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:40 AM
  #72
Isles Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
IMO as with most things in life the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Your point in many way's is spot on. In order for Brooklyn to succeed Wang must get off the cap floor.

But in today's sports economic climate you need corporate support and high visibility to generate the dollars needed to compete. At least that should be the formula.

The Islanders are projected to bump up revenues by 35 mil a year by moving to Brooklyn.

Given Nassau's unwillingness to accommodate the Islanders the move to Brooklyn became 50% of the solution, and you need to get half way there before you can finish anything.

So the Islanders are half way there.

Now the rest is up to Wang.

Hopefully there is some pressure put on Wang from the Barclay's group to ice a competitive team.

The comparison to the Mets is irrelevant. Whether they are guilty of wrong doing or not the Wilpons (nor half of Wall Street) saw the Madoff fiasco coming.

The bottom line is that the faster they get to Brooklyn the faster they inject new capital and hopefully the faster Wang has to start running a team on more than just surviving.

Half way there.
Just where is the 35M coming from?

Season ticket base may go up a smidge but that is offset by the current season holders that are not going to travel to brooklyn. So thats a wash. Not to mention those that stay away just because of the higher ticket prices that will surely follow the move.

Corporate sponsorship? Maybe a smidge of a tick up, but if the team sucks that is short lived.

Luxuary suites? Again tied to team performance. no one wants to go watch a losing team.

National exposure? Again if they suck they don't make it to Nat'l TV.

So again I ask where is the 35M coming from?

No matter how you slice it, revenue is dirctly related to on ice performance.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:16 AM
  #73
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!
 
Twine Seeking Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Suck-town
Country: United States
Posts: 7,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
If you think for a second that the "joke" tag is removed because they change addresses you are sadly mistaken. That tag goes away once ownership starts spending some money and puts a quality product on the ice. That tag goes away when they get rid of the former back up goalie as the GM. That tag goes away when they hire a real coach.

Where they play doesen't matter if ownership is dedicated to winning, which we all know Wang is not. If you need any proof just look at the Mets. Shinny new stadium that was only half full by the end of its first season. Why? Cause they sucked.

People don't like to watch losing teams. It is a simple concept. In 2001 when Wang took over and they sold out almost every home game, they did so cause of Yashin, Peca, Osgood et al and they won. Quality players, quality product. DiPietro, Guerin, Hilbert, Sim, Pock et al and they lost. Crappy team, crappy results, empty building.
Ok... maybe I shouldn't have used the word "immediately". I will concede that. But I stand by my point in principle.

The move to Brooklyn is the first step... a BIG step... to getting that tag removed. Wang has directly or indirectly stated he won't spend money playing at the coliseum. So it isn't just the change of address that will remove the joke tag. It's what the move brings with it. If Wang spends money as a result of increased revenue brought in by the new building then yes, the move to Brooklyn is the main thing that was able to restore this franchise to respectability. New building + able to spend money + free agents actually WANTING to play for the Islanders = something that was never possible in the Coliseum the way things are today (and the last 20 years).

If Wang decides to be as tight fisted as he was on Long Island then really what is the point? Why would he move the team to Brooklyn to STILL suck as bad as they have the past 10 years? Why not just sell the team at that point? I find it hard to believe he would move the team to Brooklyn to just keep the status quo. It doesn't make sense.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
  #74
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,097
vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post

No matter how you slice it, revenue is dirctly related to on ice performance.
Tell that to the Maple Leafs.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:20 AM
  #75
lorwood
Registered User
 
lorwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
Just where is the 35M coming from?

Season ticket base may go up a smidge but that is offset by the current season holders that are not going to travel to brooklyn. So thats a wash. Not to mention those that stay away just because of the higher ticket prices that will surely follow the move.

Corporate sponsorship? Maybe a smidge of a tick up, but if the team sucks that is short lived.

Luxuary suites? Again tied to team performance. no one wants to go watch a losing team.

National exposure? Again if they suck they don't make it to Nat'l TV.

So again I ask where is the 35M coming from?

No matter how you slice it, revenue is dirctly related to on ice performance.
The 35 million is reported in a NY Times article.

"An expert contacted by the Times estimated that those suites would generate about $21 million for the Islanders, while premium seating would generate an additional $33 million. That comes to $54 million from suites and premium seats — $35 million more per year than what the Islanders generate at the Coliseum."


"Q. Why would the Islanders move from the Coliseum, where they are tenants, to Barclays, where they will still be tenants?"

"A. The short answer: $35 million in extra revenue per year. That goes a long way toward wiping out the club's current operating deficit, estimated at $8 million per year.
'


The main benefit in this move "is not in the increased revenue the Isles will get from the average fan; it's in the huge increase they'll get from selling luxury suites and premium club seats," said Tony Knopp, chief executive officer of Spotlight TMS, a company that manages corporate tickets at Barclays Center and other sites around the country."

"The Coliseum, built in 1972 and barely renovated since, has 31 luxury suites and a relatively small number of high-priced premium seats. Knopp estimates that the suites generate about $3 million a year and the premium seats about $16 million."


http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980DE5D9113FF935A15753C1A9649D8B 63

Corporate support, especially in a financial capital such as NYC, is pretty much a constant. Yes those luxury boxes and club seats you see at Citifield and Yankee Stadium may look empty on a game by game basis but they are all bought and paid for by entities that view these items as the cost of doing business. Winning and losing have little to no impact on corporate sales. And as the article states the lions share of this uptick will come from corporate dollars not the guy wearing the Islander jersey sitting in the 300 section.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.