HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames expected to re-sign Jarome Iginla

Old
01-14-2013, 10:29 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

vCash: 500
No one should be surprised if Iginla re-signs in Calgary. I expect him to finish his retire as a Flame, then take a job in the front office or even behind the bench in some capacity.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

It's very understandable that the Flames would want to make Iginla a career Flame. It's the classy thing to do for sure. It may not be the best thing for the team asset wise, but it is in terms of reputation. I give the Flames crap all the time, cause I'm an Oilers fan, and that's just how things are. But re-signing Iginla would be a move that I would respect.

And they can still move guys like Bouwmeester and Kipper for a return to help their eventual rebuild/retool. Guys who aren't career Flames.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:51 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
For those of you wishing/hoping/praying Jarome Iginla gets traded this season, NOT A CHANCE! Both Jarome Iginla and Calgary Flames ownership's desire is to keep Iginla in the 'Flaming C' his entire career.

Flames GM Jay Feaster: "Our intent is to have Jarome Iginla spend his entire career with the Calgary Flames."

Video: http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

Flames captain Jarome Iginla: "This is home for me."

Video: http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

Keep wishing/hoping/praying!

If Iginla wanted to leave and go to a contender, I wouldn't hold it against him one bit. But I'm stoked to hear he wants to stay and that the feeling is mutual with the Flames (and the majority of Flames fans).

Last edited by StreakingRed: 01-14-2013 at 10:58 PM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:56 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
It's very understandable that the Flames would want to make Iginla a career Flame. It's the classy thing to do for sure. It may not be the best thing for the team asset wise, but it is in terms of reputation. I give the Flames crap all the time, cause I'm an Oilers fan, and that's just how things are. But re-signing Iginla would be a move that I would respect.

And they can still move guys like Bouwmeester and Kipper for a return to help their eventual rebuild/retool. Guys who aren't career Flames.
If the trade boards is any indication of the market for Iginla it makes sense that Calgary doesn't want to trade him most want to give up a late first and a decent prospect while neither are useless both are several years away from helping and don't do much to address our needs going forward unless we can get a top 15 pick or a real good prospect trading him doesn't offer a lot of help.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:17 PM
DesertDawg

Iginla to the Coyotes!

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Iginla to the Coyotes!
lol this comments kinda funny when your reading through nothing but flaming wars (started by ppl that think they know everything and anything about hockey and that they cant be wrong and blah blah blah blah blah)

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
The flames are a disaster.

Feaster has no clue what the **** he is doing.
How would re-signing JAROME IGINLA be a sign that Feaster has no idea what he's doing?

Because he's not trading him for junk? Would that be a sign of positive things to come for the Flames?

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:29 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
How would re-signing JAROME IGINLA be a sign that Feaster has no idea what he's doing?

Because he's not trading him for junk? Would that be a sign of positive things to come for the Flames?
Don't waste your time people love to rag on the flames for not rebuilding the way Edmonton has then they complain about them getting so many first overall picks its like they think overnight teams become good.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:22 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
lol this comments kinda funny when your reading through nothing but flaming wars (started by ppl that think they know everything and anything about hockey and that they cant be wrong and blah blah blah blah blah)
Why? I can see Jarome waiving his NMC to play with Doan, that has Playfair as an assistant coach, and the Coyotes could offer a package of Gormley, Samuelson, and a 1st. Iginla would also make the Coyotes a legitimate contender and a better team than the one that played against the Kings last playoffs.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I think he will re-sign and play out his career in Calgary but neither side can really say anything different right now anyway. It would just be bad PR for him to be hinting at wanting to leave or the Flames to be hinting that they'll shop their long time franchise player. That's not exactly a way to get fans in Calgary excited coming out of the lockout.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Calgary really can't figure out when to rebuild...

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:40 AM
b in vancouver

If Iginla wants to retire a Flame - Great. All the power to him and the organization. I think it's fantastic. He's earned the right to stay in Calgary.
Would love him on the Bruins - but the only way it would ever happen is if Iginla decided he wanted a last couple runs at the Cup and didn't think Calgary could get him there and then you set something up that both teams could live with. I never thought Iginla would be the 1st piece they would move.

If Calgary is out of it this year - and I for one expect them to make the playoffs - and wants to rebuild then they have all kinds of players that would get great returns including Kipper, J.Bo, Tanguay, Cammy... If they traded these players and decided to rebuild then Iginla might ask to be moved but who knows if they would move these players while Iginla is still there.

I think the constant desire of fans of other teams (myself sometimes included) that want the Flames to tear it apart is tiring. They are a good competitive team and if this core can't accomplish more then eventually changes will be made and they might have to rebuild but... not today.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:09 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
explain how flames arent competitive now? what a couple more wins and they make the playoffs over cup champs. had so many injuries last season. get a grip.
They are one of the least talented teams in the west. Columbus is probably the only team worse than them in terms of skill.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:18 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
They are one of the least talented teams in the west. Columbus is probably the only team worse than them in terms of skill.
That's your opinion, I certainly don't see a lack of skill on this roster. If anything this team lacks toughness, not talent.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:30 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
He doesn't have the balls to sign elsewhere if he becomes an FA because he seems too loyal/nice and Feaster doesn't have the balls to trade him.
As poorly and inflammatory as you said this I believe it's the truth. Iggy would love to win a cup, but doesn't want his legacy tarnished with disloyalty. Feaster should want to trade him (not as sure he does), but can't because of the perceived backlash it would cause. Both parties need to grow a pair and make the right hockey decision.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
That's your opinion, I certainly don't see a lack of skill on this roster. If anything this team lacks toughness, not talent.
Agreed. I actually think this roster has too many Tanguay/Cammy/Hudler types. I think we need more Glencross type players. I actually see 7 guys who slot in as top 6 forwards skill wise. Glencross is the only guy who brings a well rounded game in that grouping though.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:13 AM
Guido Sarducci

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Not saying your point is valid, but since when did playing games for a team become the measuring stick for what a career is?

For example, Valeri Bure signed with LA in August 2005, but got injured in the preseason and never played in an official game for LA. Does that mean his career never included LA?
Yes.

Games played has always been the measuring stick of a career. And the preseason does not count as games played. Iginla IS a Dallas Stars draft pick. Iginla IS NOT Dallas Stars Alumni.

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:23 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
LOL.

Did any of you guys watch the World Juniors? How many Flames prospects lit it up in that tournament?

The Flames "rebuild" is going just fine. The Flames do not need to trade Iggy for a late first for the sake of tanking.
I'm a Leaf fan and I'll finish this comment with two words. Justin Pogge.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Stats01

Actually I'll give you a few more, Kyle Wellwood, Ian White, Matt Stajan..just because you have success in the World Juniors doesn't mean squat for your NHL future.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:45 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

If they were gonna trade him they should have a few years ago, that ship has sailed and now the Flames can continue being the same 7th-11th place team they have been for a while, not sure what's going on there, doesn't seem to be a real plan in place

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:25 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
IMO if Iggy cared so much about Calgary he'd resign for 2 years with a modified NTC where he'd choose 8-10 teams to play for.

No, the Flames prospect pool isn't quite as bad as people think it is, but the Flames aren't going to continue to be a competitor if they don't retool at some point in time.

Most of the Flames prospects with considerable upside are a few years away from being impact players and by the time that happens Iggy will probably be 3rd line player and Kipper will be retired. They'll have more holes in their system.

I think this year is the first year in a long time that the Edmonton/Calgary series should be fun to watch. Edmonton is clearly now the most complete team they've had since their first year out of the lockout.

I'll give Calgary credit for picking up Hudler and Wideman to stop the bleeding, but they still aren't going to score enough goals this year.

When everyone left Edmonton, Calgary also clearly started to fade and the Flames have done everything within their power to remain in the hunt for a playoff spot. Since they first started to flounder I've hoped that they'd follow Edmonton into a rebuild so that we could actually meet each other in the playoffs. That would be some awesome TV.

So, enjoy the battle of Alberta this year. I think it'll be a good one, but we'll be leaving you guys in the dust if you feel that it's important to old onto Iggy and Kipper till the day that they're no longer serviceable NHlers. There's really nothing wrong with trading them away. Even Ray Bourque left the Bruins to win a cup with the Avs.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:40 AM
Guido Sarducci

Jarome wants to play until he is at least 40. He even said so himself. In about 2017 is when the "should Jarome leave the Flames to pursue a cup" conversation should start. If the Flames trade Jarome for a 1st, a player and a prospect they will look like fools five years from now.

Look at when the Oilers traded Ryan Smyth. The whole package they got has busted out, the trade seemed to wreck the franchise and he is still an effective NHLer today.

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
IMO if Iggy cared so much about Calgary he'd resign for 2 years with a modified NTC where he'd choose 8-10 teams to play for.

No, the Flames prospect pool isn't quite as bad as people think it is, but the Flames aren't going to continue to be a competitor if they don't retool at some point in time.

Most of the Flames prospects with considerable upside are a few years away from being impact players and by the time that happens Iggy will probably be 3rd line player and Kipper will be retired. They'll have more holes in their system.

I think this year is the first year in a long time that the Edmonton/Calgary series should be fun to watch. Edmonton is clearly now the most complete team they've had since their first year out of the lockout.

I'll give Calgary credit for picking up Hudler and Wideman to stop the bleeding, but they still aren't going to score enough goals this year.

When everyone left Edmonton, Calgary also clearly started to fade and the Flames have done everything within their power to remain in the hunt for a playoff spot. Since they first started to flounder I've hoped that they'd follow Edmonton into a rebuild so that we could actually meet each other in the playoffs. That would be some awesome TV.

So, enjoy the battle of Alberta this year. I think it'll be a good one, but we'll be leaving you guys in the dust if you feel that it's important to old onto Iggy and Kipper till the day that they're no longer serviceable NHlers. There's really nothing wrong with trading them away. Even Ray Bourque left the Bruins to win a cup with the Avs.
Blah, blah blah. The Oilers franchise is an embarrassment to the league. You guys are the reason the CBA changed the draft lottery rules. Icing an ECHL squad for 5 years so you can stockpile top picks is just sad. I think the culture of losing in Edmonton is so ingrained now it won't matter who you draft, they'll end up learning to lose because it's a core value of your sad franchise.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:08 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Call me selfish, but good. As a fan, I want to see Iginla retire in Calgary.

I thought this whole press conference was them finally trading him.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote