HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ilya Kovalchuk In Russia For Lockout: Coming (back) To America!

Old
01-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
It was funny when he got angry over the PP being booed. Well, if you didn't miss 300 straight stuff plays on it maybe the fans would have something to cheer for.
What ticked me off about Langs towards the end was after the Kovy scratch game when we lost against Buffalo 6-1 (which I actually stayed for the entire debacle) was him complaining not about the Devils play, not about his own play, but about Moose getting booed during that game which was his first start

You fall to a 2-6 record as a team that you're a captain of, you're struggling on the ice personally, and you're concerned about when the fans should/shouldn't be booing after a 6-1 blow out

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
apice3*

Yeah I'm not mad about the comments. I think he's just a baby.

Everyone talks about the Ranger and Flyer fans "invading" the Rock. The way I see it, if you have fan bases as big as the Rangers and they're given the opportunity for cheaper tickets and cheaper travel costs, OF COURSE they're gonna come to our building. In much the opposite way, why is a Devil fan going to pay excess prices to travel and overpay face value to sit in an away building? It's just stupid. Devil fans have 41 opportunities to pay reasonable prices to watch games. Ranger fans have 3 opportunities to pay reasonable prices. That's why we get "invaded." Devil fans are able to spread out their ticket spending whereas Ranger fans options are condensed.

That's why I laugh at the idiot Ranger fans who yap about our attendance, but only go see the Rangers when they're in NJ.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Adam Larsson

vCash: 892
when did kovy say anything negative about the devils? also when did he say he was only returning because of a contractual agreement? melrose and weekes are goin on about it on the nhl network? did i miss something?

Adam Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:12 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

I try and "educate", for the little value that it's worth.

I don't think many people realize how much work it takes to break through the major sports market juggernauts that are NY and Philly... especially when they both had a running start on the state.

It's not like there aren't (now) 3 other sports where residents are used to cheering for a NY or Philly logo.

And when that fails, I just have to laugh at some of the Ranger fans that I know that can repeat our attendance record but struggle to remember where both teams are in the standings.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Nick0930

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktard23 View Post
when did kovy say anything negative about the devils? also when did he say he was only returning because of a contractual agreement? melrose and weekes are goin on about it on the nhl network? did i miss something?
He didn't. Media blew his quotes way out of proportion.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:14 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Mountains/molehills.

Kovy had nothing, and I mean nothing, negative to say about the Devils.

His comments about wishing to close out his season with SKA but needing to return to NJ were way, way, way overblown.

He was just being a respectful captain to his team/fans.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
He didn't, but he did say he was contractually obligated to play for the Devils. He was just paying respect to his fans over there. Kovy is one of the most fan friendly guys we have. I'm not surprised he is that way in his own country. Melrose is just another POS member of the anti-Devils mainstream hockey media.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
It was funny when he got angry over the PP being booed. Well, if you didn't miss 300 straight stuff plays on it maybe the fans would have something to cheer for.
LOL What a ****in joke that was. I think the game he complained about was after that game in 2010 where we lost at home to St Louis 1-0. We had a bazillion PP opportunities, and a double major, but got shutout by Ty Conklin I think it was. That stuff play annoyed the **** out me.

I was at the only game last year that Parise actually scored on the stuff play. It was in Tampa Bay last December. It was also against Dwayne Roloson (Big surprise) and it promptly got him pulled from the game. Not sure if that was on the PP though. I don't think it was.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Ya, that play hadn't worked since 2008-2009, but it didn't stop him from trying it every time.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
LOL What a ****in joke that was. I think the game he complained about was after that game in 2010 where we lost at home to St Louis 1-0. We had a bazillion PP opportunities, and a double major, but got shutout by Ty Conklin I think it was. That stuff play annoyed the **** out me.

I was at the only game last year that Parise actually scored on the stuff play. It was in Tampa Bay last December. It was also against Dwayne Roloson (Big surprise) and it promptly got him pulled from the game. Not sure if that was on the PP though. I don't think it was.

Good memory, I was thinking about that game against the Lou...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Ya, that play hadn't worked since 2008-2009, but it didn't stop him from trying it every time.
Yeah, it had been years. The PP was struggling and you could've glued the players skates to the ice and ran it the same way. When we don't get movement it fails...and deserves to be booed.

Anyways, Kovy should be on a plane now or within a few hours coming back..

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:

Good memory, I was thinking about that game against the Lou...
Haha against Luongo? I remember a couple shutouts against him in recent memory. I also remember one game we got blown out, and Parise, and Gio firing into his crest, and the crowd chanting LUUUU!!! every time like it was some big save. Might have been his first year up there in Vancouver. We used to piss all over him when he played in Florida.

Why did Parise always use that stuff play? Did that work against Marty in practice or something? I swear if Clarkie, or Trav start doing that I'll tip my TV over!

Old
01-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Haha against Luongo? I remember a couple shutouts against him in recent memory. I also remember one game we got blown out, and Parise, and Gio firing into his crest, and the crowd chanting LUUUU!!! every time like it was some big save. Might have been his first year up there in Vancouver. We used to piss all over him when he played in Florida.

Why did Parise always use that stuff play? Did that work against Marty in practice or something? I swear if Clarkie, or Trav start doing that I'll tip my TV over!
Oh god if there is one positive to be had with him gone it should be we should NEVER have to see the damn stuff play on the PP. I'm throwing a puck, or the cowbell I got from the playoffs last year through the TV, and/or crashing my car (if I am listening on the radio) if I hear Trav or Clarkie trying that damn play over and over.

Maybe that was the secret to beating our PK last year that no one picked up on. Just try the stuff play, Marty can't defend against it. O_O

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Oh god if there is one positive to be had with him gone it should be we should NEVER have to see the damn stuff play on the PP. I'm throwing a puck, or the cowbell I got from the playoffs last year through the TV, and/or crashing my car (if I am listening on the radio) if I hear Trav or Clarkie trying that damn play over and over.

Maybe that was the secret to beating our PK last year that no one picked up on. Just try the stuff play, Marty can't defend against it. O_O
Haha I don't remember Marty even giving up a goal on a stuff in the playoffs? The goalie has to be **** or having an off night to let one in. Roloson gave one up at a game I was at in TB last December. The Devils website is not loading up right now so I can't link the video.

I watched all but 2 or 3 games last year, and that's the only time I remember it working. It promptly led to Roloson being chased. Think it was even strength too. I'm starting to remember one against Toronto with Reimer that Zach scored on. Maybe not though, and even if he did Reimer is one of the biggest jokes of a goaltender in the league.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:46 AM
MadDevil

Quote:
Yeah, I was watching the Penguins...excuse me...NHL Network and saw that earlier. Melrose was just talking out of his as usual, and Weekes just went along with it.

MadDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:04 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I'm still not sure what exactly makes Melrose so popular. What did he do as a player? What did he do as a coach? Lost in the SCF, and he was never any good after that in the short amount of time he coached. Gotta be the mullet.

Speaking of finishing 26th after making the SCF, remember when the Kings went to the SCF in 93 and lost? And then the next year they finished near the bottom? And then the next year they still sucked, and fired that jackass coach finally? Remember who that guy was?

BARRY MELROSE!

Old
01-15-2013, 02:15 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Melrose has basically sucked at everything he's ever done.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:21 AM
Semak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Melrose has basically sucked at everything he's ever done.
That includes hair style choices.

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Barry would like to remind everyone to not bring your wallets to Devils home game. For the arena is in a bad bad bad bad neighborhood!

Old
01-15-2013, 05:56 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
That includes hair style choices.
Insulting the mullet is tantamount to treason at ESPN, I'm told by a friend who works there.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:08 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

I am sure this had absolutely nothing to do with Melrose being brutally harassed outside of Prudential Center during the finals last season. Baaaaaaaaarrry

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:01 AM
goalvalchuk17

Imo melrose is "popular" because he's one of 3 people on espn who know a hockey player besides Crosby and ovechkin.

goalvalchuk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:14 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Melrose is popular because ESPN specifically chose him to be the hockey guy, knowing he is a complete idiot and would do a terrible job representing the sport. It is further evidence of how ESPN actively tries to make hockey look bad. People watch him and think "This is the hockey guy? The go to guy for league info? This league must be a total joke."

Last edited by TheUnseenHand: 01-15-2013 at 07:24 AM.
TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:42 AM
njdevil26

Idk if this is from Newark Airport or St Petersburg or something.. but the Devils Blog Facebook posted this pic:

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Idk if this is from Newark Airport or St Petersburg or something.. but the Devils Blog Facebook posted this pic:

I'd say that pic was taken in St. Petersburg.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:27 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
I'd say that pic was taken in St. Petersburg.
Yes. The man behind Covy is Roman Rotenberg, vice-president of SKA

od71 is online now   Reply With Quote