HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Our team right now (lineups etc).

Old
01-14-2013, 09:06 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
The reason why Flip works is because he helps you save face, if your Calgary. You don't want to lose Bouwmeester for nothing. So you get a guy like Flip and you can say you got something.
And then, if it turns out you want him, you can try to keep him.
I guess it's not the craziest idea I've ever heard, but I don't think there's any way it would ever happen.

I just looked at Calgary's capgeek.

They have 5 defensemen with NTCs (including JB), and one of them is Cory Sarich.

11 of the 23 guys on their roster have NTCs. Incredible.

So I guess you never know what Calgary might do, but keep in mind it's hard to trade guys with NTCs. Not impossible, but hard.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:07 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
That's a pretty dumb way to run an orginization.
That's how salary dumps work.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:08 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
That's how salary dumps work.
I probably should've read a little closer.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

ITT: People don't get Ryan Lambert's sense of humor, or that most of his articles are completely tongue and cheek.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman View Post
ITT: People don't get Ryan Lambert's sense of humor, or that most of his articles are completely tongue and cheek.
Oh I fully know what he tries to do, he just doesn't pull it off that well. There are some other guys who are much better at it, he scored that Yahoo gig on the back of the increasing popularity of "edgy, humorous" sports writing but he's always been a second rate practitioner of it. To be fair that could be said about a fair few of the Yahoo! guys who try that "hip ironic sports writing" act for Generation Youtube.

Oh and I know Lambert really, really doesn't like the Wings. The guy has been hating on the Wings for a lot longer than he's had that blog and he's not kidding about it, he tries to transport his dislike in terms he considers humorous jibes but it's genuine.

I feel dirty for writing so much about a 2nd rate Yahoo blogger because that no doubt validates him.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:56 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Hi, does anyone else find Bertuzzi and Eaves completely expendible? Bert is not a bad player, but he has definitely not aged like a fine wine! Tootoo makes him expendible in the sense that he is a physical guy that can fight and chip in once in a while. Bert has always been a hybrid skilled/grinder kind of guy. But now given his age, he performs neither role optimally. Ie. I would rather see Nyquist and Brunner who may flourish on a top 3 scoring line rather than bert. Eaves, well there is Helm, Abdk, Tootoo, Miller, IMO 3 is all you need, always good to have a spare grinder I suppose but 5 is too many. I feel the Wings have a hard time saying goodbye to players. The Samuelson thing kind of makes sense because he used to play the point on the PP and now that Nick is gone he can help alleviate the pressure.

Anyways I know the wings like to keep the old guys on the big team and the young guys in preschool for too long sometimes. Tatar and Nyquist are very close, if they spend another yr down there IMO it is too long. Andersson is also knocking at the door.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:58 AM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Just wondering, what's your predictions for White's stats this year? Will it regress a bit with Lidstrom gone?

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:09 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Just wondering, what's your predictions for White's stats this year? Will it regress a bit with Lidstrom gone?
As much as people like to run around pretending Lidstrom is the only thing that made White he actually has a pretty solid history.

from eliteprospects: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9519

Quote:
2006-07 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 76 3 23 26 40 8 |
2007-08 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 81 5 16 21 44 -9 |
2008-09 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 71 10 16 26 57 6 |
Canada WC 5 1 2 3 0 4 |
2009-10 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 56 9 17 26 39 1 |
Calgary Flames NHL 27 4 8 12 12 7 |
2010-11 Calgary Flames NHL 16 2 4 6 26 -10 |
Carolina Hurricanes NHL 39 0 10 10 12 4 |
San Jose Sharks NHL 23 2 8 10 8 9 | Playoffs 17 1 8 9 8 3
2011-12 Detroit Red Wings NHL 77 7 25 32 22 23 | Playoffs 5 1 0 1 0 -2
Now what you see there is the fact last year was not even a career high. 38 points three years ago, 26 two years ago, and 32 last year.

His plus minus was very good with Lidstrom, but offensively he is a 30 point guy. Of course he did pace out similarly in San Jose as far as +/- so on the two good teams he has played for his plus minues is elevated as expected. Depends on how quickly Smith or Quincey takes his PP job. Sammy being hurt to start the year maybe will allow him to keep his job for the time being. Babcock's preference for a right handed shot also might keep him going. But I have a feeling at some point he might lose that job. Still think he is going to come in around 25 to 30 points pro-rated he has a track record of doing it.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 01-15-2013 at 03:10 AM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:54 AM
ChadS

I think it's great that there's a right-handed point shot on both PP-units. White is an important piece of the D. As is Ericsson, and if Detroit want's to win games this season these two will have to have great years.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:08 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Hi, does anyone else find Bertuzzi and Eaves completely expendible? Bert is not a bad player, but he has definitely not aged like a fine wine! Tootoo makes him expendible in the sense that he is a physical guy that can fight and chip in once in a while. Bert has always been a hybrid skilled/grinder kind of guy. But now given his age, he performs neither role optimally. Ie. I would rather see Nyquist and Brunner who may flourish on a top 3 scoring line rather than bert. Eaves, well there is Helm, Abdk, Tootoo, Miller, IMO 3 is all you need, always good to have a spare grinder I suppose but 5 is too many. I feel the Wings have a hard time saying goodbye to players. The Samuelson thing kind of makes sense because he used to play the point on the PP and now that Nick is gone he can help alleviate the pressure.

Anyways I know the wings like to keep the old guys on the big team and the young guys in preschool for too long sometimes. Tatar and Nyquist are very close, if they spend another yr down there IMO it is too long. Andersson is also knocking at the door.
No offense makinfan but this reasoning is getting a little tired...at the Wings homepage, all the blogs and MLive etc. We all know Nyquist is top 5(?) in scoring in the AHL. He and Tatar are developing well which is perfect for us as assets. Don't worry, they aren't going to rot in Grand Rapids.
Coach Babcock-
Quote:
“We have four guys in Grand Rapids, forwards, that are dying to be Red Wings, in (Gustav) Nyquist, (Tomas) Tatar, (Joakim)Andersson and (Riley) Sheahan. They think they’re ready to be on the team, so they’re ready to go if (others) are not ready to go.”
There you have it. All 4 are available and could get quality icetime because of injuries or inability of any of our forwards.

Tootoo may be high energy but he is much smaller than Bertuzzi, completely different type of player. Bert appears to be in excellent shape as of now. We need a grizzled, business like, feared veteran like Bert on our team. He is so respected by his teammates and staff, he will finish his career here in Detroit. There are a few posters that feel like me and simply love Big Bert.

By the scrimmage roster it is obvious Eaves will be the odd man out. Is it possible for him to play in GR? That would be best for him to get back to full speed, it's been a year since he's played a game. But I must say from 2 practices he is flying, he looks quicker than I've ever noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
As much as people like to run around pretending Lidstrom is the only thing that made White he actually has a pretty solid history.
Very solid. I personally rank him as our #1 D, Kronner makes too many mistakes IMO and I don't trust Ericsson for ****. I like how hard Ian White battles. Great article about Cola and their history as defensive partners- Colaiacovo clarifies his position How frickin cool is that? These guys have been playing together for years and reunite under the Wings banner. As much as things get shook up this season I can imagine them as our top D unit, at least #2, PK, whatever, just a healthy amount of TOI.

Another good write-up about Drew Miller- http://www.freep.com/article/2013011...pe-in-Scotland Sorry if I'm judging too much by practices but Miller looks on top of his game. He says he doesn't want to be "comfortable" but that is exactly how I would describe him. Super smooth skating and loose hands, being a contract year he seems poised to have an even better season than last.

I don't know if it's the opinions here lately or again my experience watching the practices but I am going to keep a critical eye on Abdelkader. He should have done like Drew and kept himself playing games. Babcock has made it clear that no job on this team is safe, Abbie better do something special or he could be sitting.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:19 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Detroit is set to miss the playoffs for the first time in 21 years according to TSN experts...I agree with them, hopefully detroit wins the lottery and gets to pick 1st overall

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Chris 84

i'm surprised at anyone who thinks that ian white is our #1D. i thought he was pretty poor towards the end of last season and in the playoffs and would always rate kronwall way ahead of him. not that kronwall is the best #1D in the league, far from it, but if our best D is ian white, we're in deep crap.

as i see it, the only way the D works this year is if kronwall truly steps up, smith shows that he is a future #1D and ericsson and quincey take their extra ice time and run with it. we pretty much need career years from heaps of our D.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
By the scrimmage roster it is obvious Eaves will be the odd man out. Is it possible for him to play in GR? That would be best for him to get back to full speed, it's been a year since he's played a game. But I must say from 2 practices he is flying, he looks quicker than I've ever noticed.
It should be possible to send him down for a conditioning stint (after a long-term injury) that is in NHL rules. Two weeks or something down there outside of waivers. It would be interesting to know is this be possible for Helm also?

Send at least Eaves there and get fresh legs like Tatar/Nyquist up and rotate those rusty NHL guys that are still getting towards game shape.

I would use those guys who played at Europe 100% in games and rotate these who didn't get any games anywhere.

Forwards in some kind of game shape:

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Brunner
Filppula
Mursak
Miller

Ericsson
Smith
Quincey
Kindl
Lashoff
(Colaiacovo) had some games at Spengler cup.

Rotation:

Franzen
Samuelsson
Cleary
Helm
Bertuzzi
Abdelkader
Tootoo
Emmerton
(Knuble) if signed

Kronwall
White

Howard
Gustavsson

It's good to see that mainly our defence and star forwards have some games under their belt. There ain't many teams who are in better starting position compared to Wings overall game shape.

Last edited by Henkka: 01-15-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Detroit is set to miss the playoffs for the first time in 21 years according to TSN experts...I agree with them, hopefully detroit wins the lottery and gets to pick 1st overall
you talking about the list that has Edmonton making the Playoffs?

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
you talking about the list that has Edmonton making the Playoffs?
They got a decent shot at finish in the last 8th spot or so imo

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:20 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Apparently not all the TSN Experts are in agreement, they also have the Wings ranked 7th in the entire league on their power rankings.

Edit - Now that I see you're talking about Mike Johnson and Craig Button's predictions I think we have different definitions of "experts".

Last edited by FlashyG: 01-15-2013 at 10:29 AM.
FlashyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Helm (Back) is doubtful for the Wings 1st game of the season. Heard it on 97.1

Apparently MLive has a story running too.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._doubtful.html

PS

I really hate that radio station and all of it's bandwagon Red Wing fans.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Helm (Back) is doubtful for the Wings 1st game of the season. Heard it on 97.1

Apparently MLive has a story running too.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._doubtful.html

PS

I listen to it a lot but when they try to talk Wings I change the channel. There's only one person on that entire station that knows anything about hockwy.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:24 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
The radio station that had people calling in saying trade Lidstrom and start a rebuild last season? Most callers and the guys on the station dont know a thing about hockey.

Quote:
I listen to it a lot but when they try to talk Wings I change the channel. There's only one person on that entire station that knows anything about hockwy.
Agreed lol, you cannot listen to the ticket for hockey talk. Itll leave you pissed off or laughing at how stupid some people can be

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:49 PM
icKx
What now?

Quote:
Caputo?

I swore off 97.1 for hockey two years ago when Valenti spent a show discussing the relative merit of trading Datsyuk just to "shake things up".

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:41 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Ian White can be your #1 D-man but if he is you are a lottery team. That's just the reality of it. Fortunately for us, I don't think Babcock or anyone else within the org think he is.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Ian White can be your #1 D-man but if he is you are a lottery team. That's just the reality of it. Fortunately for us, I don't think Babcock or anyone else within the org think he is.
Well he was #2 in TOI/G last year, #1 if you don't count Lidstrom.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You are correct sir. It's a laughable statement that has no basis in fact. Was Andreas Lilja a #1 dman when he played with Lidstrom? Was Danny Markov? Kronner and E will be the top pairing, Babs said as much.

Harnessed in Slums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:01 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Well he was #2 in TOI/G last year, #1 if you don't count Lidstrom.
It's misleading because he played so much with Lidstrom at ES and on the PP, White didn't PK at all. If White is better than Kronwall, we have some real reason to worry.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:38 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Caputo?

I swore off 97.1 for hockey two years ago when Valenti spent a show discussing the relative merit of trading Datsyuk just to "shake things up".
Caputo is the absolute worst personality on that station. I literally cannot stand that man. Eric Smith isn't too far behind. Caputo gets hockey some, but he's unlistenable.

Valenti and Foster should never talk about hockey, period. I can only take Valenti in small doses before he grows tiring.

Karsh and Anderson aren't experts on hockey, but they don't act to be. I don't mind listening to them at all. They're the only show that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out after 15 min.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote