HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 03:58 AM
  #26
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,906
vCash: 500
It looks like at this point, the Habs need more toughness on the back end than skill.
Markov, Kaberle, Diaz, Weber and eventually PK are all ahead of Beaulieu at this point as he learns his craft. Whereas we only have Bouillon as a more physical defenseman and PK when he signs. Not a slight to him at all. He'd have been invited to a regular camp.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:10 AM
  #27
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?
 
Carey Commit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,460
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Carey Commit
lol not everyone develops as fast as PK did. He has a lot of raw talent but a ways to go. He's still a top prospect and frankly I'm surprised at some of the hate he gets here.

Carey Commit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:14 AM
  #28
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Beaulieu had a a few weeks adjustment in the AHL where he was good, then bad, then pretty good again. Looking at the shots he was generating, it was a matter of time before he started adding some assists. Beaulieu will come around and be a solid top 4 guy for the future, however, he is not there yet.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:18 AM
  #29
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,335
vCash: 500
The funny thing is the haters, and especially those on the main board like to dismiss Beaulieu entirely because of his lack of defensive polish and his decision making... The exact same comments they were making about Subban 4-5 years ago. Now most praise him and want him on their team.

At the same age I'd say Beaulieu is actually a little better defensively and Subban was a little better offensively.. He's going to take some time but he's going to make it. His first pass is crisp and he's an excellent skater(his backwards skating needs a little work though).

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:21 AM
  #30
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 500
when subban first played for the habs we know he was sat down because he would make a mad rush up the ice too many times. Coaches needed to teach him to pick his spots less often. I does not matter if subban was right to charge up the ice. The fact is his teammates never knew when he was about to do it which left the back end confused while he was on a rush. Someone has to have subban's back when he takes off. All this must be worked out in practice. So subban was told to calm down a bit.
If you have seen Beaulieu play is guilty of exactly the same thing right now in hamilton. He takes off 20 time a game. Don't get me wrong, the fact that he CAN do all this is great, he is just doing it a bit too much.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:11 AM
  #31
Analyzer*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,976
vCash: 50
Despite what many people here think Beaulieu hasn't done well so far. He hasn't done bad either. He still makes a lot of dumb plays.

However I think even being called up for the practice Sunday and Monday then sent back
Would have helped.

Oh well. Next year.

Commodore is here not for teh lulz but because he's been alright in the Ahl and is a type of dman the Habs could use for a year... Or half a year

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:16 AM
  #32
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
The funny thing is the haters, and especially those on the main board like to dismiss Beaulieu entirely because of his lack of defensive polish and his decision making... The exact same comments they were making about Subban 4-5 years ago. Now most praise him and want him on their team.

At the same age I'd say Beaulieu is actually a little better defensively and Subban was a little better offensively.. He's going to take some time but he's going to make it. His first pass is crisp and he's an excellent skater(his backwards skating needs a little work though).
IMO that's very, very wrong. By the 2010 playoff Subban was doing a shockingly good job of covering Sidney Crosby. Beaulieu's not close to that level. He doesn't have anything near the quickness or strength that allows Subban to recover from mistakes.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:59 AM
  #33
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 12,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO that's very, very wrong. By the 2010 playoff Subban was doing a shockingly good job of covering Sidney Crosby. Beaulieu's not close to that level. He doesn't have anything near the quickness or strength that allows Subban to recover from mistakes.
Subban is still playing against the perception from his draft year that he was going to be a 3rd pairing power play specialist at best, a poor man's Kaberle.

It's due to the stereotype that offensively competent dmen are defensively incompetent.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:03 AM
  #34
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I gotta say that I am shocked that the Habs aren`t taking a closer look at Beaulieu...I realize that this is not a regular training camp situation BUT, I watched the last two Bulldogs games on TV and I thought Beaulieu looked amazing. He has really improved since the beginning of the season. I had the pleasure of watching him play in St John NB during his junior days and this guy can move the puck big time. He looked like the best D man on the Dogs PP IMO (and St Denis looked great as well)).
I think that's the key right there. Beaulieu will only benefit from more time spent in the AHL.

Whereas Tinordi is more of a what-you-see-is-what-you-get no-nonsense type of player. Sure, he'll likely be sent back at the end of the week, but given his size and his style of play (especially when compared to the projected top 6-7 D), they just HAD to have a closer look

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:25 AM
  #35
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice
 
Habs Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I gotta say that I am shocked that the Habs aren`t taking a closer look at Beaulieu...I realize that this is not a regular training camp situation BUT, I watched the last two Bulldogs games on TV and I thought Beaulieu looked amazing. He has really improved since the beginning of the season. I had the pleasure of watching him play in St John NB during his junior days and this guy can move the puck big time. He looked like the best D man on the Dogs PP IMO (and St Denis looked great as well)).

I think management looked at one week training camp and at their roster and figured to let Beaulieu continue with his progress.

I've seen most of the Bulldogs games and I feel Beaulieu has played as well as Tinordi. But what Beaulieu can bring to the Habs to some degree they already have on the big team: Markov, Subban, Kaberle, Diaz & Weber. What Tinordi can bring we only have Boullion, Georges and Emelin maybe.

I think the decision was based on what we already have on the big team.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:41 AM
  #36
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
At last years' camp? P.K came off an impressive rookie season in the NHL and dominated the AHL, something Beaulieu hasn't done yet. At 20, P.K. was way ahead of Beaulieu in his development too.

Dominated the AHL the year before his rookie season I meant.
P.k was also 20 years old when his AHL season started...P.k also had a very good team and finished with 52 wins... This years team is very young and will need to get used to the AHL... I don't know why you would say that P.K was WAY ahead, that's just a dumb thing to say. You probably don't consider age to be a factor at all either huh? Have you watched Beaulieu play this season?

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:49 AM
  #37
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
when subban first played for the habs we know he was sat down because he would make a mad rush up the ice too many times. Coaches needed to teach him to pick his spots less often. I does not matter if subban was right to charge up the ice. The fact is his teammates never knew when he was about to do it which left the back end confused while he was on a rush. Someone has to have subban's back when he takes off. All this must be worked out in practice. So subban was told to calm down a bit.
If you have seen Beaulieu play is guilty of exactly the same thing right now in hamilton. He takes off 20 time a game. Don't get me wrong, the fact that he CAN do all this is great, he is just doing it a bit too much.
I have watched about 20 games this season and Beaulieu did not take off too much, he picked the right times to do it and hasn't had alot of problems with his decision making when he was leading the rush, he mostly seemed to look for the pass and lugged the puck up the ice when it was absolutely needed. He has also gained alot of confidence and is starting to play like the Beaulieu I saw in Saint John. He is starting to drastically improve in the defensive zone, overall he has adjusted well to the AHL speed which is what is always concerning for offensive defensemen and doesn't try to do too much as you've said.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:54 AM
  #38
Respeck
RESPECK MY NAME
 
Respeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
People need to realize he just turned 20 last month, give him another full year in the AHL after this. No need to rush him at all, let him gain some muscle and continue to improve in the AHL.

Respeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:57 AM
  #39
Myron Gaines*
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
P.k was also 20 years old when his AHL season started...P.k also had a very good team and finished with 52 wins... This years team is very young and will need to get used to the AHL... I don't know why you would say that P.K was WAY ahead, that's just a dumb thing to say. You probably don't consider age to be a factor at all either huh? Have you watched Beaulieu play this season?
I have watched Beaulieu, he's nowhere near close of what Subban was. They both had different junior careers in different leagues. So not surprising that Subban's defensive game was a bit more polished than Beaulieu's at the same age.

I take age into consideration, that's why I brought it up.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:58 AM
  #40
Myron Gaines*
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Doesn't mean that I think Beaulieu wont never reach Subban's level, each learning curve is different and to be honest, I don't see the point into making this a P.K vs Nathan thread.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:02 AM
  #41
PricePkPatch*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Doesn't mean that I think Beaulieu wont never reach Subban's level, each learning curve is different and to be honest, I don't see the point into making this a P.K vs Nathan thread.
That's a great idea!!

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:05 AM
  #42
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
People need to realize he just turned 20 last month, give him another full year in the AHL after this. No need to rush him at all, let him gain some muscle and continue to improve in the AHL.
Exactly. When comparing his situation with Galchenyuk and Tinordi:

We "need" a guy like Galchenyuk in the lineup
We "could certainly use" a guy like Tinordi

Promoting Beaulieu right now would be like adding a faster/sexier yet unproven version of Kaberle

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:39 AM
  #43
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
Exactly. When comparing his situation with Galchenyuk and Tinordi:

We "need" a guy like Galchenyuk in the lineup
We "could certainly use" a guy like Tinordi

Promoting Beaulieu right now would be like adding a faster/sexier yet unproven version of Kaberle
Did you mention the faster/sexier/notready version of kaberle haha. He's just getting used to the AHL and is now coming into his own. He's been playing great recently and I'm glad he wasn't invited to the camp.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:40 AM
  #44
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines* View Post
Doesn't mean that I think Beaulieu wont never reach Subban's level, each learning curve is different and to be honest, I don't see the point into making this a P.K vs Nathan thread.
I wasn't trying to create an argument, sorry.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:56 AM
  #45
Kingbobert
Registered User
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,861
vCash: 500
let him develop
he's not ready yet and it will hinder him.

I do see him are part of our core though.
In 2 years he's going to be a shoe in for our D core.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:16 AM
  #46
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I gotta say that I am shocked that the Habs aren`t taking a closer look at Beaulieu...I realize that this is not a regular training camp situation BUT, I watched the last two Bulldogs games on TV and I thought Beaulieu looked amazing. He has really improved since the beginning of the season. I had the pleasure of watching him play in St John NB during his junior days and this guy can move the puck big time. He looked like the best D man on the Dogs PP IMO (and St Denis looked great as well)).
They can't call up the whole Hamilton team they play Tuesday and Wednesday. Plus Beaulieu has very little chance of cracking the Habs with 7 NHL veterans plus St.Denis Commodore and Tinordi.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:59 PM
  #47
Habblues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sec 9 Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
I didn`t expect him to crack the habs lineup, and iF this w regular camp he`d be there.......I do predict him to be as good if not better than Subban.......I can`t understand why Montreal is the ONLY team in the league that does NOT want an offensive D man....Why is that ? I think both PK and Nathan will be better than doughty within time AND if they`re permitted to rush the puck like I know they can....

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:10 PM
  #48
DogsFan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,793
vCash: 500
Beaulieu is not close to good enough defensively for the NHL yet.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:12 PM
  #49
Dharvey33
Registered User
 
Dharvey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,169
vCash: 500
well Dougie Hamilton didn't impress me at all at the juniors and he was drafted the same year. Let him time to developp i think next year he will come the camp confident and might make the team, he has turnover problems but nothing that cannot be solved.

I like the fact that he has mean aspect in his game he is not the guy that hits a lot but when he does he dishes out a good hit. He is far from being soft, i think he has the potential to be a 40-50 points 1st paring two way dman a la Brian Campbell.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:30 PM
  #50
lamp9post
Registered User
 
lamp9post's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
well Dougie Hamilton didn't impress me at all at the juniors and he was drafted the same year. Let him time to developp i think next year he will come the camp confident and might make the team, he has turnover problems but nothing that cannot be solved.

I like the fact that he has mean aspect in his game he is not the guy that hits a lot but when he does he dishes out a good hit. He is far from being soft, i think he has the potential to be a 40-50 points 1st paring two way dman a la Brian Campbell.
I wish he would hit more though. The purpose of hitting is not always to hurt the player, you do it to stop the opponent. Beaulieu is much too passive in this regard in the defensive zone. He needs to use his body to break up plays more, and you don't have to be a physical beast to do it. Gorges and Diaz are good examples of guys who are not huge but aren't afraid to throw their bodies in the way to disrupt a play. Beaulieu needs to take a lesson from these guys.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.