HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Fighting to increase dramatically this year?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
His point is clear, and the only self-contradiction I see is yours.

YOU say that Lucic doesn't fight goons, only "players" because it's not worth losing Lucic in a fight vs a goon.

But that's not truth. Either you don't know those facts (but they've been pointed out to you, so now ignorance can't be an excuse) or you are ignoring them.

Lucic has fought a bunch of 4th line bums before. So that can't be your excuse for his not fighting Laraque. So if not wanting to lose Lucic for 5 min to a bum of a player (which they've allowed him to do many many times in his career) isn't the reason... what do you suppose the reason is? I'd love to know your thinking on that.
I get the sense that this conversation is more about the opponent than it is the position. When it comes to Artemis, believe me I understand.

When she's right though, she's right. And in this case, she's right. I hope you can forgive my intrusion.

Scenario 1: Lucic accepts the fight with Laraque.
Outcome: Lucic most likely LOSES the fight, giving the Habs a feeling of "edge" that they normally lack. "Our goon is tougher than your goon" without taking into account each tangler's place on their respective teams. Or (let's say) any feeling of victory that could motivate them to a 'W.' Lucic sits in the box for five, depriving the B's of their top-line LW. Laraque sits for five, which necessitates that Habs make THEIR top line whole - even if it is only for five.

Scenario 2: Lucic declines Laraque's offer.
Outcome: Montreal neuters a top line that (to be fair) was almost sans testosterone to begin with. Lucic puts up a couple of points against an easier opponent and the Bruins win the game. Habs fans laugh about Lucic's "cowardice" while (mostly) knowing better - and Bruins fans (mostly) just know better.

I'm not really stretching, am I? Scenario 1 is a realistic tally of expected events, while Scenario 2 is actual reality.

So I ask... Lucic's cowardice? Or coach's direction?

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:01 AM
westernhome

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Nothing is "one size fits all." Circumstances change, situations change. You claim Lucic didn't fight Laraque because he was "afraid" of him. Julien refuted that. Lucic did not fight Laraque because that's what the Canadiens wanted him to do. Why should he oblige the Canadiens?
That's like asking why should Komi have fought Looch. You see, Komi wasnt even a fighter, just a hard nosed, hard hitting D man that annoyed Looch loads. Komi stepped up to fight the guy, knowing he'd lose.

Looch taunted the Habs, and then did not step up to fight BGL. And the fact remains that Looch is closer to being in BGL's fighting skill range than Komi was to being in Lucics.

It's not hard to admit for once that Looch just didnt want to lose, and knew he would.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:14 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Lucic's side show with Laraque was great because it essentially ruined his career and showed though he was a good fighter, he was a poor enforcer.

She should have instigated Lucic off the first faceoff if he wanted to send a message. But instead he skated around all night asking him nicely to fight.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Laraques always been a joke of an enforcer, just another staged grappling clown. Ruff wont give Lucic the choice unless the Bruins come out as the aggressors, last thing I want is LUCIC turtling and dodging like a coward.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:50 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Laraques always been a joke of an enforcer, just another staged grappling clown. Ruff wont give Lucic the choice unless the Bruins come out as the aggressors, last thing I want is LUCIC turtling and dodging like a coward.
Your mission here seems simple, evoke anger/frustration and distaste.

You madam/sir, clearly have not seen Lucic play if you think for one moment he would turtle and dodge, his choice not to scrap George in that Hab tilt was a wise one, and one that showed this fan a maturation that, from time to time he is guilty of not displaying.

The whole Laroque thing was ridiculous, it was GL who looked like a toolbox, and the Habs coaching staff for giving him almost 10 minutes of TOI to chase Looch around that evening.

There was NOT one reason for Lucic, on that evening, to drop the mitts with Laroque

I am convinced you are our old poster Don Cherry

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Malt
#wpri12steve

I love how Canandian fans/Lucic haters still bring up the Lucic-BGL ...correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this same Canadians organization responsible for ending BGL's career by releasing him and buying out his contract? They must have really valued him.

I don't know whether Lucic was afraid to fight BGL or not, but Lucic had nothing to answer for, IMHO. He beat Komi (who, as a reminder, is listed as 6'4", 243 lbs.) in a fair fight after a good deal of build up and anticipation. It had nothing to do with BGL and still doesn't.

To take it a step further, I don't have a problem with Scott going after Lucic this season---Buffalo has a legit gripe, and it's fine if they want to settle things the old-school way. Buffalo's attempt at revenge is a bit after-the-fact, but, in this case, it seems justified...unlike the Canadian's sad attempt to "even the score."

Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:11 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
I love how Canandian fans/Lucic haters still bring up the Lucic-BGL ...correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this same Canadians organization responsible for ending BGL's career by releasing him and buying out his contract? They must have really valued him.

I don't know whether Lucic was afraid to fight BGL or not, but Lucic had nothing to answer for, IMHO. He beat Komi (who, as a reminder, is listed as 6'4", 243 lbs.) in a fair fight after a good deal of build up and anticipation. It had nothing to do with BGL and still doesn't.

To take it a step further, I don't have a problem with Scott going after Lucic this season---Buffalo has a legit gripe, and it's fine if they want to settle things the old-school way. Buffalo's attempt at revenge is a bit after-the-fact, but, in this case, it seems justified...unlike the Canadian's sad attempt to "even the score."
No issues with Buffalo doing this either Malt, we`d expect nothing else from our Bruins but the same thing if the scenario were reversed, but a Scott vs Looch situation would be much like a Laroque scene too with a guy who deserves barely 5 mins of TOI trying to take off a guy who`s value is much greater.

Either way, I`m sure there isn`t one Bruin, Looch or otherwise who are or will be sitting at home, on the eve of a Sabres tilt concerned about whether or not they will be able to match those fearsome Sabres

Sidebar: I recall at one point in that Hab game, a faceoff right in front of the Bruin bench, with Looch/GL lined up right at the boards and you could see CJ behind the bench, I can`t say with certainty of course what he was saying or whom he was saying it to, but at the time, it appeared to me as though he was saying something to Looch.

CJ will never be accused of the Dave Lewis approach but it was obvious, there was the clear message that discipline was required from the Bruins, Dafoomie, would you mind going over the thousands of hours of the great vids you make to find this exact moment please??

Old
01-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Your mission here seems simple, evoke anger/frustration and distaste.

You madam/sir, clearly have not seen Lucic play if you think for one moment he would turtle and dodge, his choice not to scrap George in that Hab tilt was a wise one, and one that showed this fan a maturation that, from time to time he is guilty of not displaying.

The whole Laroque thing was ridiculous, it was GL who looked like a toolbox, and the Habs coaching staff for giving him almost 10 minutes of TOI to chase Looch around that evening.

There was NOT one reason for Lucic, on that evening, to drop the mitts with Laroque

I am convinced you are our old poster Don Cherry

Is Steve Ott mature because he chose not to fight Thornton in November 2008 ? He has been called out by Jack Edwards and Bruins fans since that day. When you play a certain way, there comes a time when you don't chose your opponent. I expect the same from Bruins player and I certainly won't be defending any Bruin who plays physical but tries to avoid certain fights.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
Seann William scott would be a slam dunk to play him if they ever made a film about his life. (not even gonna try to post a picture of the guy so you'll just have to trust me)

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Is Steve Ott mature because he chose not to fight Thornton in November 2008 ? He has been called out by Jack Edwards and Bruins fans since that day. When you play a certain way, there comes a time when you don't chose your opponent. I expect the same from Bruins player and I certainly won't be defending any Bruin who plays physical but tries to avoid certain fights.
unofficial Bruins motto - You start something, you finish it.

What did Looch start that he had to answer for by fighting a guy out of his weight class? He's a power forward, not an enforcer, or even an agitator for that matter.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:06 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
That's like asking why should Komi have fought Looch. You see, Komi wasnt even a fighter, just a hard nosed, hard hitting D man that annoyed Looch loads. Komi stepped up to fight the guy, knowing he'd lose.

Looch taunted the Habs, and then did not step up to fight BGL. And the fact remains that Looch is closer to being in BGL's fighting skill range than Komi was to being in Lucics.

It's not hard to admit for once that Looch just didnt want to lose, and knew he would.
He's actually done that three times now...has a brass sack, no doubt.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post

What did Looch start that he had to answer for by fighting a guy out of his weight class? He's a power forward, not an enforcer, or even an agitator for that matter.
He ran a team's goalie and and best player. I approve what he did, and I expect him to have to answer the bell in a couple of weeks. He doesn't get to chose his opponents if he wants to play that way.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Therick67

Quote:
He ran a team's goalie and and best player. I approve what he did, and I expect him to have to answer the bell in a couple of weeks. He doesn't get to chose his opponents if he wants to play that way.
I believe he's talking about Laraque/Montreal, not the Sabres.

Therick67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:09 AM
WBC8

Quote:

It was his reaction after beating Komisarek. He hooted and hollered like a kid...which he was. BGL took offense to that, and wanted to show him how it was done.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:12 AM
WBC8

Quote:
He already answered the bell for that, no? Not his fault the Sabres didn't prepare with a better goon. Why didn't they call up Finley for that? The fact he has to answer AGAIN is BS in my opinion. It's dead and buried.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
my reading comprehension needs to be tweeked a bit, i thought you meant the BGL incident.

didn't the next Sabres game in Buff take care of that?

Old
01-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
He already answered the bell for that, no? Not his fault the Sabres didn't prepare with a better goon. Why didn't they call up Finley for that? The fact he has to answer AGAIN is BS in my opinion. It's dead and buried.
Did Matt Cooke answer the bell by grappling w/ Thornton ? I don't consider that the score is settled, and I say we still have to pay back the Pens. The Sabres fans and front office feel the same about Lucic.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
It was his reaction after beating Komisarek. He hooted and hollered like a kid...which he was. BGL took offense to that, and wanted to show him how it was done.
Was BGL on the roster for that game? I thought they picked him up later.

Either way i'll say mmmmmm...ok, i see your point. But those things are usually dealt with in game. I would have loved to see how Looch would have handled one of the best HW's out there, but i still don't see why he would be obliged to. BGL should have forced Looch's hand by pancaking #46, then there would have been no question what should be done.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Did Matt Cooke answer the bell by grappling w/ Thornton ? I don't consider that the score is settled, and I say we still have to pay back the Pens. The Sabres fans and front office feel the same about Lucic.
in hockey terms? Yes. That ship has long sailed.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Therick67

Quote:

Either way i'll say mmmmmm...ok, i see your point. But those things are usually dealt with in game. I would have loved to see how Looch would have handled one of the best HW's out there, but i still don't see why he would be obliged to. BGL should have forced Looch's hand by pancaking #46, then there would have been no question what should be done.
I don't believe BGL was in the lineup that night. he only got into 33 games that year, he brought so much to the table he was a scratch most nights.

Therick67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:18 AM
WBC8

Quote:
The Bruins obviously consider the Cooke incident over. As for the Sabres, Scott was brought in so it doesn't happen again. As for the fans, whatever...

Old
01-15-2013, 08:21 AM
WBC8

Quote:

He really wasn't, but it's kind of how it's done amongst the fighters in the league. The decision should have Lucic's IMO. His coach intervening was lame IMO. That's the only problem I had with the whole thing. People act like Lucic would have been beaten to a bloody pulp and never had been the same again...

Old
01-15-2013, 08:23 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Add another post to the "I don`t recognize differences in context of the game" column

Old
01-15-2013, 08:23 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
I don't believe BGL was in the lineup that night. he only got into 33 games that year, he brought so much to the table he was a scratch most nights.
He was in there... I remember him looking pissed on the bench... He was horrible that night as well like normal...But quiet..