HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What Do Rangers Do With Wade Redden?

Old
01-15-2013, 01:22 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Only part of his cap hit counts against the cap. Anything in excess of the NHL minimum salary (currently 525k) + 375k. So 900k is saved by sending his contract to the minors, but the other 5.6 mil counts against the cap no matter where he is playing (or not playing in this case).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The first $900k of salary is exempt from counting against the cap if the player is in the AHL. $6.5 mill - $900k = $5.6 mill
I started to think about this while trying to fall asleep last night and immediately it became obvious to me on my own and I realized this upon thinking about it further, so it all made sense.

Thanks to the both of you for clarifying.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:51 AM
bernmeister

Would consider something around boom-bust prospect Christian Thomas, son of former black hawk Steve Thomas, to Leafs for them to take Redden and his cap hit off our hands.

I recognize other options but given recent developments about public disclosure ok for Redden's agent to pursue trade, trade at right price would be most preferable option.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:43 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
I didn't much of this thread, but what was the reason to not allowing buyouts before the season starts?

Didn't Mckenzie say Redden as a UFA would get a contract? Pretty sure Gomez at 1-2mil is picked up as well. Would think both sides would've preferred a buyout as now you have two players at the end of their careers not playing and potentially making them completely useless come next season.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I didn't much of this thread, but what was the reason to not allowing buyouts before the season starts?

Didn't Mckenzie say Redden as a UFA would get a contract? Pretty sure Gomez at 1-2mil is picked up as well. Would think both sides would've preferred a buyout as now you have two players at the end of their careers not playing and potentially making them completely useless come next season.
Sounds like maybe the PA is belatedly realizing this, and per latest articles might actually allow for some immediate buyout provision to be tacked on to the MoU.

Works for everybody, really, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it. I don't think there are a lot of other players who are immediately going to get messed up by it...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Sounds like maybe the PA is belatedly realizing this, and per latest articles might actually allow for some immediate buyout provision to be tacked on to the MoU.

Works for everybody, really, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it. I don't think there are a lot of other players who are immediately going to get messed up by it...
I guess the only thing is that the players are getting their full salary this year instead of only 2/3, which isn't really that big of a deal as most will get that 1/3 on the open market.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Update from Brooks of the NYP;

Quote:
@NYP_Brooksie: NYR, NHL, NHLPA believed discussing scenario under which NYR could exercise compliant buyout on Redden now while retaining AHL cap hit.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:31 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Update from Brooks of the NYP;
No down side here.

Hope that works out.

Allows Redden to try to hook up with another team for this season.

bazinga

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
caley

Per Nick Kypreos

Quote:
Hearing the #NHL #NHLPA have reached an agreement for compliance buyouts for cases like #Rangers Redden and #Canadiens Gomez. Details2follow
So, Redden and Gomez could both be hitting UFA free agency in the coming days. My guess is Redden ends up back in Ottawa and Gomez back in New Jersey.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote