HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Ducks - A lighter side

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2003, 05:52 AM
H-Bear

vCash: 500
The Ducks - A lighter side

So with all the seriousness and bickering going on in Edmonton, and on these boards, I am taking it upon myself to lighten the mood a little.

So, there I was, driving on the 407 (for those non-Ontarians, it's a highway that by-passes Toronto), at about 2:00 in the afternoon. It's a nice clear day, so I am travelling at about 120 km/hr, and in the distance, I see a small line, about a lane wide. I don't know what it is, so I take off my cruise control. At about 200 metres away, I recognize what the line is ...

it's a family of DUCKS; mom, and about 10 little rascals!! Me, being the animal lover, jam on the brakes and stop traffic for these cute little buggers; boy did the people behind me ever get mad!!! It was hilarious; some people are just so damn busy, that they can't stop for one minute to allow a family of ducks to cross the highway. Everyone behind me goes around them in the right lane (more than one person gave me the finger), while I patiently enjoyed their passing (the ducks that is).

It was a priceless moment.

P.S. The title to this thread was designed to be misleading; how many thought this was about the Comrie situation??

Old
12-12-2003, 06:03 AM
Oylerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
The title to this thread was designed to be misleading; how many thought this was about the Comrie situation??
You got me...

Old
12-12-2003, 09:41 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
So with all the seriousness and bickering going on in Edmonton, and on these boards, I am taking it upon myself to lighten the mood a little.

So, there I was, driving on the 407 (for those non-Ontarians, it's a highway that by-passes Toronto), at about 2:00 in the afternoon. It's a nice clear day, so I am travelling at about 120 km/hr, and in the distance, I see a small line, about a lane wide. I don't know what it is, so I take off my cruise control. At about 200 metres away, I recognize what the line is ...

it's a family of DUCKS; mom, and about 10 little rascals!! Me, being the animal lover, jam on the brakes and stop traffic for these cute little buggers; boy did the people behind me ever get mad!!! It was hilarious; some people are just so damn busy, that they can't stop for one minute to allow a family of ducks to cross the highway. Everyone behind me goes around them in the right lane (more than one person gave me the finger), while I patiently enjoyed their passing (the ducks that is).

It was a priceless moment.

P.S. The title to this thread was designed to be misleading; how many thought this was about the Comrie situation??
I'll admit that I thought the thread was about Anaheim, but Comrie didn't cross my mind till you mentioned him. :p I have developed a kind of 'mute button' that allows me to 'zone out' unwanted info. Pretty good trick considering it's the "Y" chromosome that carries the inherent 'mute button' gene and I only have "X" chromosomes.

I'm sorry, who were you talking about again?

btw - odd time of year for baby ducks, isn't it?

You said something that brought the "MOM" in me out and I can't stuff her back in till I say this:

Please don't use your cruise control in the winter. A buddy of mine (an EPD sergeant) told me that your stopping distance can be double or more on cold (possibly slick) roads. Cruise control maintains acceleration consistently thru your reaction time till you apply the brakes. Be careful out there.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:43 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
I'll admit that I thought the thread was about Anaheim, but Comrie didn't cross my mind till you mentioned him. :p I have developed a kind of 'mute button' that allows me to 'zone out' unwanted info. Pretty good trick considering it's the "Y" chromosome that carries the inherent 'mute button' gene and I only have "X" chromosomes.

You said something that brought the "MOM" in me out and I can't stuff her back in till I say this:

Please don't use your cruise control in the winter. A buddy of mine (an EPD sergeant) told me that your stopping distance can be double or more on cold (possibly slick) roads. Cruise control maintains acceleration consistently thru your reaction time till you apply the brakes. Be careful out there.
LOL... ID, it wasn't over here in Toronto... it was about 2 degrees outside, and nothing in terms of water on the ground.

Mind you it is snowing now... but it'll be gone by tomorrow.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:54 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon

Worry not, this incident happened in July. I had no urge to tell this story before today; but with all the Duck (the team) talk, and all the raging posters, I thought it would be nice to lighten the mood a little.

For the record, I don't even have a car to drive in the winter (I'm a student), so you don't have to worry about me using cruise in the winter. I ride the "Loser Cruiser" (aka: public transit) to and from everywhere I go.

Old
12-12-2003, 10:09 AM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

was one of the baby ducks Comrie? Cause he's almost small enough to be mistaken for a duck.

Old
12-12-2003, 10:13 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
was one of the baby ducks Comrie? Cause he's almost small enough to be mistaken for a duck.
lol It might have been. I should have rolled down my window and asked.

Sorry for letting you down .

Old
12-12-2003, 12:47 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Worry not, this incident happened in July. I had no urge to tell this story before today; but with all the Duck (the team) talk, and all the raging posters, I thought it would be nice to lighten the mood a little.

For the record, I don't even have a car to drive in the winter (I'm a student), so you don't have to worry about me using cruise in the winter. I ride the "Loser Cruiser" (aka: public transit) to and from everywhere I go.
Brat!!! :p

Old
12-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Hairball

Quote:
while I patiently enjoyed their passing (the ducks that is).

Isn't that what we've all done this year?

Closed Thread