HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marcus Foligno

Old
01-13-2013, 11:20 PM

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Just curious, but what would Sabres fans want for Luke Adam? He seems to have regressed quite a bit, and could use a change of scenery.
He's definitely expendable, and i think you hit it on the nail, he just needs a change of scenery. He has been in a slump for quite some time now, but it should be noted that he has been playing well as of late, 14pts in like 17 games or something, including 6 goals in that span. Nothing earth shattering, but seems like he's gaining confidence and starting to play well again.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Foligno is untouchable just for the fact that he is the only player in the Sabres organization that combines size, speed, strength, hitting and fighting ability along with the skill to score 60+ points a season in the future. Foligno was the reason Kassian was traded, the fact Buffalo would rather trade Kassian , a touted prospect over an unheralded one like Foligno shows how much they value him.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:59 AM
Girgenburger

Massive overpayment. The dude has been one of a kind so far.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Foligno is untouchable just for the fact that he is the only player in the Sabres organization that combines size, speed, strength, hitting and fighting ability along with the skill to score 60+ points a season in the future. Foligno was the reason Kassian was traded, the fact Buffalo would rather trade Kassian , a touted prospect over an unheralded one like Foligno shows how much they value him.
His father was also a star on the team. Simply put: Marcus ain't going nowhere.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:29 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Let's say the April 4th trade deadline rolls around, and the following situation has played out:
  • Buffalo is out of the playoff picture
  • Washington is in the hunt for the Southeast
  • Jay Beagle has played well in the 3C/shutdown center role
  • McNabb looks solid in significant NHL action

Would Buffalo be interested in a trade built around Brooks Laich and Tom Wilson for Andrej Sekera and Marcus Foligno? A pick would likely be added from Washington. Laich would solidify Buffalo's 2nd or 3rd line center position and has plenty of term remaining (and can switch to wing if/when Grigorenko and Girgensons pan out). Wilson (1st round pick 2012, having a PPG+ year in Plymouth), though not on par with Foligno nor as developed, provides Buffalo with a power forward prospect.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:57 AM
Djp

anyone is available for something.....

Foligno is not going nowhere.

Remember he isnt just a player---his dad played a good chunk of his career with the Sabres and was a fan favorite.

If anything Buffalo may be more inclined to trade for his brother now that Ottawa doesnt have him.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:03 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 View Post
He's definitely expendable, and i think you hit it on the nail, he just needs a change of scenery. He has been in a slump for quite some time now, but it should be noted that he has been playing well as of late, 14pts in like 17 games or something, including 6 goals in that span. Nothing earth shattering, but seems like he's gaining confidence and starting to play well again.
Luke Adam is still young. He had a good start last year before he went throw the Ruff grinder.

His confidence got shaken a bit.

Its possible a change of scenery could be good for him.

Ruffs style can be very difficult on younger players.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:20 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Let's say the April 4th trade deadline rolls around, and the following situation has played out:

Would Buffalo be interested in a trade built around Brooks Laich and Tom Wilson for Andrej Sekera and Marcus Foligno? A pick would likely be added from Washington. Laich would solidify Buffalo's 2nd or 3rd line center position and has plenty of term remaining (and can switch to wing if/when Grigorenko and Girgensons pan out). Wilson (1st round pick 2012, having a PPG+ year in Plymouth), though not on par with Foligno nor as developed, provides Buffalo with a power forward prospect.

I'm pretty sure that deal doesn't net you Foligno alone.......not to mention our second-third most valuable d-man. So I'm going to go ahead and say lolno.

Foligno is probably more untouchable then Grigorenko at this point.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:00 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

No. Sekera for Laich might be fair if you don't consider contracts too much, but you hope Wilson becomes Foligno; value's not really close there. There's no reason for Buffalo to take a step back like that, or trade Marcus at all for a myriad of reasons that others have already listed. And McNabb will be lucky to see any NHL action this year, let alone look solid in the NHL.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Just curious, but what would Sabres fans want for Luke Adam? He seems to have regressed quite a bit, and could use a change of scenery.
I've always liked Dustin Jeffrey, personally.

Quote:

No, probably not. You're talking about two of Buffalo's more valuable assets. Sekera's a top-3 defenseman who can log tough minutes and seems to improve each year. He also has a nice contract. Foligno, as many have said in this thread, is the type of young, hard-working power forward the Sabres have been seeking for years. Wilson is a nice asset, and has more pugnacity than Foligno, but I think you'd really have to blow Buffalo's doors off to get Foligno, and I don't think Wilson would do that. I like Laich (ha!), but I get concerned when I always seem to read Caps fans' posts saying he's not really a center.

It's not a bad offer, but it's not good enough to get Regier to pull the trigger and give up those two players. If Washington is looking for defensive help at the deadline and Buffalo is out of the race, Regehr and Leopold are the two guys who'd likely be on the move.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
umbertovanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Adam for Jeffrey might be reasonable for both sides.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:29 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbertovanek View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Adam for Jeffrey might be reasonable for both sides.
I would do this deal.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Thorton02

Foligno will be a corner stone for this franchise for the next decade. I'm probably higher on him than most people, but he brings the attitude we lost with Briere/Drury and the body we haven't had since Peca.

Luke Adam should be available for a pick and an AHL center.

Thorton02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Djp

Quote:

Foligno (along with Grigorenko) is untouchable....

in order to get him you would have to send back an established star player to even justify it from a PR standpoint.

As i and others have stated already....Marcus was born in Buffalo, NY...his father played for the Sabres and was captain and a big time fan favorite.

So for them to move Foligno it has to be a major wow type of trade.

As for sekera...he is a very good defenseman with a salary friendly contract. The only way he is moved is in a trade for a top 6 established player.

Lsich is aa 3rd line center at best...not much difference between him and others they have/could get at a much lower price.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:18 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
IMO the Foligno I saw in the NHL with Buffalo is worth alot more than the one I saw in the AHL
Thats likely because in buffalo he played with a super-talented center Tyler Ennis who's play-making ability is off the charts, though his consistency and size hold him back and he was complimented on the opposite wing by a 30 goal scoring Drew Stafford...

Foligno in the AHL has spent considerable time with Evan Rankin, and Brian Flynn...the disparity in his offensive ability should be obvious. Though he still had nearly a ppg pace so??? He was a +7 on a terrible defensive team and he was still hitting and fighting anyone and anything.

As for the OP...not for sale Id imagine for anything short of something you'd laugh at.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Foligno is probably more untouchable then Grigorenko at this point.
I wouldn't say that. Grigs has elite potential. Foligno doesn't. Grigs potentially will be a ppg+ scorer for us.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:38 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I wouldn't say that. Grigs has elite potential. Foligno doesn't. Grigs potentially will be a ppg+ scorer for us.
He doesn't have elite scoring potential, but he does have the potential to be an elite physical player, while being skilled enough to keep up with guys like Ennis/Hodgson/Grigorenko. That's still a pretty darn valuable player, if he reaches his ceiling. And all the more valuable to us because of how badly we need guy like that and Folgino's dad having been a very good Sabre.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Havok89

Yeah Foligno's not going anywhere. He's exactly what Buffalo needs in their top six in a few years and is a perfect bottom six player until he's ready to step into that role.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Foligno is what Buffalo most needs. He's the reason they traded Kassian for Hodgson to address their other need of young centermen (which they further addressed drafting Grigorenko and Girgensons). To top it off he was born in Buffalo, his father is a Buffalo legend, and he was 5 hits away from the team lead despite playing in 13 games (more of a sad commentary on the team than anything, but it shows the need for him). I don't see any reasonable trade another team could make for him.

I don't want to give anyone the idea that I have misplaced confidence in how good he will be. Obviously his stats from last season will not be reproduced (I think he shot like 25%). I have no belief he will be a top line power forward, though it wouldn't shock me. But what he is without a doubt is everything this team needs in terms of size, character, effort, and nastiness. He absolutely has good enough ability to score at this level though that isn't the heart of his game.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:42 AM
BK201

I don't see him being moved the Foligno's are awesome. Seem to also be fan favorites.

I know I was seriously pissed when Ottawa traded Nick.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
I don't see him being moved the Foligno's are awesome. Seem to also be fan favorites.

I know I was seriously pissed when Ottawa traded Nick.
Me too, because I'm a sucker for uniting brothers in sports. Would have loved to pick up Nick and the Sabres just happened to have a bunch of defensemen, too.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
What's your depth forward situation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbertovanek View Post
Jeffrey for Adam would actually be a pretty good deal for each side. Adam has better upside, but Jeffrey's a good young two-way player right now. We can afford to give Adam a little extra time because of our glut at center and his waiver-eligibility.

Can it be? A deal that satisfies both teams?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:38 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
Foglino is the type of player every team wants in their top six. Physical with offensive upside, add that to his family history with the Sabres and you've got an untouchable player.

ResilientBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:44 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Jeffrey for Adam would actually be a pretty good deal for each side. Adam has better upside, but Jeffrey's a good young two-way player right now. We can afford to give Adam a little extra time because of our glut at center and his waiver-eligibility.

I would totally agree with Jeffrey for Adam. Adam is in serious need of a change of scenery, and IMO still can be a relatively good player for a different team. Keeping him here at this point is a waste of his talent. A new voice could do a lot to bring his confidence back.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:

Adam for Jeffrey?

Boy, that looks good to this Sabres fan. Sign me up.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote