HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Old
01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If they reverse the decision... we just put Gomez on the roster, consistently scratch him and don't allow him to do any drills in practice.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:38 AM
baldrick

He still just doesn't get it

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Hopefully this 'under review by NHLPA' thing is over soon, and new HFB member g-love11 starts a 'Scott Gomez happy to join HF Boards' thread...

Imagine the fun.

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:07 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
The PA wants it both ways. Obviously it was their idea to include the clause in the CBA that says the team can't buyout a player if he's hurt, and now that we don't want him to get hurt so we can buy him out, they're objecting to that too.

He can skate/practice/do whatever he wants, as long as it has nothing to do with the Habs.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Maverik

It was just a matter of time before the NHLPA brings out that argument. And I kind of agree with them. It does hinder Gomez's and Redden's chances of finding another NHL job next season.

Maverik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
from what they said on hockeycentral, Montreal has the right to not play him and pay him but they felt he should be allowed to at least skate/practice somewere and so he can keep in shape for the next season
He's not allowed to skate or practice?

Really?

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
He's not allowed to skate or practice?

Really?
They can't be injured at the moment of buying them out or your screwed keeping them

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
They can't be injured at the moment of buying them out or your screwed keeping them
Yeah I know.

But what's he supposed to do stay home and wrap himself up in bubble wrap?

I can see not being able to join a team or whatever, but not being allowed to skate is a bit much.

And even then, you'd think he could sign a waiver or something stating that if he gets injured the buyout still stands.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:29 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
It's not the end of the world because the salary comes off the cap during IR. Once healed, the buy out can take place.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:32 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
It's not the end of the world because the salary comes off the cap during IR. Once healed, the buy out can take place.
the buyouts have to occur in the summer, and I am sure the NHLPA wasn't stupid enough to not put a deadline date. So if Gomer was hurt until say oct/nov then there is no way to buy him out and not have him count against the cap. That screws the habs cap for 13/14

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:44 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
the buyouts have to occur in the summer, and I am sure the NHLPA wasn't stupid enough to not put a deadline date. So if Gomer was hurt until say oct/nov then there is no way to buy him out and not have him count against the cap. That screws the habs cap for 13/14
Didn't realize there would be a narrow time window, but it makes sense, I guess. Thanks.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
It was just a matter of time before the NHLPA brings out that argument. And I kind of agree with them. It does hinder Gomez's and Redden's chances of finding another NHL job next season.
not disagreeing with you but this is the bed the PA made for themselves with putting in the injury clause.

You ask for things and you get them and you live with the consequences they bring forward.

Had the PA allowed the buyouts effective immediately or not put an injury clause, gomer and redden would not be in this sitauation.

Also, had both these players been responsible and played with the same commitment the teams showed them in signing these large contracts there would be no problem and i'm not talking about the cap hits.

A 50pts gomez would get slack for his big contract but not for his play, a 3goal gomez does not deserve top 6 icetime on any team.

If both of them are just not into it anymore and thats why they can no longer play then retire instead of sitting there collecting the big money.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If they reverse the decision... we just put Gomez on the roster, consistently scratch him and don't allow him to do any drills in practice.
Still sucks as he would be a distraction and would take up one of 23 roster spots.

He could still get hurt doing cardio work or in the gym.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Davebo
beep beep

If Scott wants to be free to do as he'd like, he's welcome to tear up that contract and become a free agent. I'm sure the Habs would step completely aside.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:55 AM
DAChampion

What's the original reason for banning buyouts of injured players?

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
What's the original reason for banning buyouts of injured players?
It's the PA's interest in protecting the player and his earnings, of course. A company can't fire you for getting hurt while doing your job. Same principle here.

Which I don't have a problem with, but now the PA wants to define to what extent a team is allowed to not risk that player getting injured, when the team is just trying to comply with a rule set out by the PA in the first place? Doesn't seem right to me.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
not disagreeing with you but this is the bed the PA made for themselves with putting in the injury clause.

You ask for things and you get them and you live with the consequences they bring forward.

Had the PA allowed the buyouts effective immediately or not put an injury clause, gomer and redden would not be in this sitauation.

Also, had both these players been responsible and played with the same commitment the teams showed them in signing these large contracts there would be no problem and i'm not talking about the cap hits.

A 50pts gomez would get slack for his big contract but not for his play, a 3goal gomez does not deserve top 6 icetime on any team.

If both of them are just not into it anymore and thats why they can no longer play then retire instead of sitting there collecting the big money.
Overall I agree with this. If the NHLPA didn't want this to happen they would have thought ahead about it and put a clause in to not allow this to happen to their players.

They didn't want the contract to be buried in the minors - I assume as a deterrent for teams to not send them down in the first place, so they got that. Then they said they can't be bought out if they are injured. Owners simply found a loophole.

But like you said, this wouldn't have been a problem if Gomez would be playing at a 40 or 50 point pace even. People will say that's not his fault, but in the end it is. The only other thing we can do is keep him on our roster at all times this year, but that will be a distraction too.

The players on the team didn't speak out against it, they simply said it's the business side of hockey.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
If Scott wants to be free to do as he'd like, he's welcome to tear up that contract and become a free agent. I'm sure the Habs would step completely aside.
Yeah that's true.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:09 AM
shutehinside

Interesting. Considering they're in the same boat, I'm sure it's for both of them.

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
NYR, NHL, NHLPA believed discussing scenario under which NYR could exercise compliant buyout on Redden now while retaining AHL cap hit.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Andy

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
#NHL #NHLPA in serious talks exploring a resolution in #Canadiens Gomez #Rangers Redden situation. Both remain at home uninvited to camp

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
PyrettaBlaze

I guess same applies to Gomez.

KatieStrangESPN:
#CBA #NYR NHL, NHLPA in discussions today to resolve Redden situation, clarity could come soon

https://twitter.com/katiestrangespn/...38749042524160

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Gary320

Andrew Timoni ‏@TimoniNJD
@KatieStrangESPN League should amend amnesty buyout rule. One by the end of the month and one after the season.

-- Probably the best idea I've read so far.
I really don't want Gomez anywhere near the AHL team. Even if injured, he can still be bought out. I don't think it's a good idea to have him there.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:21 PM
PyrettaBlaze

RealKyper:
Hearing the #NHL #NHLPA have reached an agreement for compliance buyouts for cases like #Rangers Redden and #Canadiens Gomez. Details2follow

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Andy

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Hearing the #NHL #NHLPA have reached an agreement for compliance buyouts for cases like #Rangers Redden and #Canadiens Gomez. Details2follow

EDIT: DAMN YOU PYRETTA!!

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:25 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
But they will still be getting paid for next season, that is what the buyout is all about. The player gets paid but it doesn't count against the cap. Really, both players could offer their services for the league minimum and still be making more money than most of the players in the league.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote