HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Soon to be UFA hold less value in the new CBA.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:16 PM
palindrom

vCash: 500
Soon to be UFA hold less value in the new CBA.

Since there will be a complete week prior the first July where any teams can negotiate with any upcoming UFA, it will make no sense to trade for their exclusive negotiating right anymore. So played in this position worth a bit less.

Well, i am anticipating someone will reply: But teams can still acquire the right for an upcoming UFA before the week prior the first July and still have exclusive negotiating right so it would defeat the whole purpose of this novelty in the CBA.

Indeed, it could, but we have to think it was included in the new CBA for a reason.

So how much less value hold upcoming UFA in comparison to the last CBA ?

We can probably base it on the value of these negotiating according to past trade.

Hamhuis and Bouwmeester rights were traded for around a 3th round pick, Hartnell and Timonen for a 1st. So something along these line.

Keep it in mind when making deadline proposal for upcoming UFA.

Last edited by palindrom: 01-14-2013 at 11:43 PM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:55 PM
startainfection*

so free agent frenzy starts one week prior? nbd

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:57 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
so free agent frenzy starts one week prior? nbd
They can only negotiate, one week before 1st july, but they cant sign any contract until july.

In the last CBA, teams wasn't allowed to talk with upcoming UFA until the 1st july.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Isn't negotiation rights more of a RFA thing than an UFA thing?

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:09 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Haven't thought of this. I agree, trading for UFA rights will decrease dramatically. I mean, it wasn't all that common before, but it was certainly gaining popularity in recent years. It would be mostly pointless now.

I like it though. The more players that make it to UFA, the better.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:11 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
They can only negotiate, one week before 1st july, but they cant sign any contract until july.

In the last CBA, teams wasn't allowed to talk with upcoming UFA until the 1st july.
Not true. Teams could ask for permission to talk to players prior to July 1st. That's why deals get signed within the first five, ten minutes. Seems to me the major difference is that teams don't have to ask for permission anymore, which is actually a benefit, as we might actually see more trades to acquire the rights to the player and sign them.

And I'm guessing since players can sign a deal longer than if they signed as a UFA, the importance of trades will be emphasized that much more.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:14 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

No idea how it will effect value. Seems like the early negotiations thing will speed up the UFA process/signings once UFA hits instead of having it drag on forever like it seemed to last year.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Why wouldn't we see people making deals to talk to a potential UFA before June 24? For example, let's say Ryan Getzlaf is going to be a UFA on July 1st, so the Leafs make a deal to acquire his rights on June 21, giving them 3 full days to potentially make a deal with him before he can talk toother teams.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
yep, negotiating period plus 7 vs 8 year max contract depending on whether the player was on your trade deadline roster should reduce the value of 'rights' deals, but on the other hand, it should increase the value of trade deadline deals.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:28 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I love this. It should mean teams can safely go after the big fish without missing out on everyone else if they miss them. Deals will be made based on a lot more thought instead of races.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
We will see a lot less UFA's signing with their current team. They will probably go shopping a week before and decide on July 1rst where they want to go weather it be back with their team or another team.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Haven't thought of this. I agree, trading for UFA rights will decrease dramatically. I mean, it wasn't all that common before, but it was certainly gaining popularity in recent years. It would be mostly pointless now.

I like it though. The more players that make it to UFA, the better.
I strongly disagree for "elite" UFA's. A team that is resigning their own UFA has the ability to offer an extra year in the contract. For a guys like Parise/Suter this last year, that extra year is a BIG deal, and allows the "incumbent" team to offer a signficantly highter total contract value while having a similar annual amount.

I think the trades for "negotiating rights" were pretty small. Usually a 3rd/4th round DP, or maybe a conditional 2nd if the player is signed.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I strongly disagree for "elite" UFA's. A team that is resigning their own UFA has the ability to offer an extra year in the contract. For a guys like Parise/Suter this last year, that extra year is a BIG deal, and allows the "incumbent" team to offer a signficantly highter total contract value while having a similar annual amount.

I think the trades for "negotiating rights" were pretty small. Usually a 3rd/4th round DP, or maybe a conditional 2nd if the player is signed.
We got a conditional pick for Wiz. Cannot remember if we traded it but if it is something like a 5th round pick for a players rights that pick can turn into Charles Hudon. Which is a pretty good return for a guy who is packing his bags.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Well if a team trades for a players rights, then they are allowed to sign the player before he actually hits free agency.

So, on one hand, yes other teams could negotiate with the player during the week prior to July 1st, and can sign the papers on July 1st.

But, on the other hand, a team that trades for rights can start negotiating even before that week, and can sign the player at any time.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
kasper11

I don't understand how this is supposed to make a pending free agent have less value. The idea of trading for a pending free agent is to get an exclusive negotiating window so you can reach an agreement before the player can talk to anybody else. Nothing has changed that.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Steve55

I am wondering why many UFAs haven't been signed even though the new CBA was ratified on Saturday night. Since the re-entry waivers are gone, I think many of the signees this season will be on 2 way deals.

Does anyone know what happens to AHL players who do not claimed on waivers?

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote