2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAunt1997 View Post
Wow! That many! Awesome.....my nephew is hopefully in there for sure then! He is such a pleasure to watch! Go Cyclones!
If he is who I think he is , he will get drafted very early as far as goalies go.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Agree to disagree.

You seem to be trigger happy to quickly express your dislike for this 15 year old kid IMO it's personal
There certainly are parents/family friends who post on here. Some are open about it (which is refreshing), while others hide it. Its frustrating sometimes that people who post constructive feedback regarding a player will then get an instant responce defending said player. One of the reasons I backed off of here was because some parents/friends make it a real grind to post on here.

I've said a few constructive things about a 96 born defenceman and get responces back instantly lol. Its expected to an extent, but scouts are not emotionally involved like family and friends are, so they have a better read on things then others. I also think that some of those family/friends would be better served to back off and allow those players to see some constructive criticism, as the only way you get better is by working on your faults. Blaming coaches and ice time online is not going to make the player any better IMO.

With regards to DeFarias, hes a great skater, but does have work to do in other aspects of his game. He will be a mid second round pick IMO. Maybe higher, but can't see it.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
There certainly are parents/family friends who post on here. Some are open about it (which is refreshing), while others hide it. Its frustrating sometimes that people who post constructive feedback regarding a player will then get an instant responce defending said player. One of the reasons I backed off of here was because some parents/friends make it a real grind to post on here.

I've said a few constructive things about a 96 born defenceman and get responces back instantly lol. Its expected to an extent, but scouts are not emotionally involved like family and friends are, so they have a better read on things then others. I also think that some of those family/friends would be better served to back off and allow those players to see some constructive criticism, as the only way you get better is by working on your faults. Blaming coaches and ice time online is not going to make the player any better IMO.

With regards to DeFarias, hes a great skater, but does have work to do in other aspects of his game. He will be a mid second round pick IMO. Maybe higher, but can't see it.
Breath of FRESH AIR, THANK YOU. Trust me, everyone wants to see more of you here.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:34 PM
skating101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post

The voice of reason

Old
01-14-2013, 04:23 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Agree in other words if any of our hockey reviews carried any creditability we would sign our names to our assessments and not hide behind our computers.
U have called me out and Chewer regarding one team and your very defensive regarding one player. Yes I noticed. If u think your helping someone, your not correct. In other words, Im not going anywhere. Add me to your Ignore list. If not Lets talk in 4 months about how wrong I am, Im fine with that. When Im proved right, I dont expect to hear from u.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
HockeyAunt1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
If he is who I think he is , he will get drafted very early as far as goalies go.
That's awesome!

Last edited by HockeyAunt1997: 01-14-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I think Defarius will go late 2nd round. There are more complete dmen in other leagues.

His skating is great, but not a complete player.
He needs to grow. Also I don't think he developed at all this year. Poor coaching and very mediocre co-workers. Josh looked much better in Prospects game when he played with better d-men and was able to show his wheels and not worry about his partners not being up to snuff or his coach getting upset with him.

2nd rd sounds right.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:46 PM
skating101

Quote:
U have called me out and Chewer regarding one team and your very defensive regarding one player. Yes I noticed. If u think your helping someone, your not correct. In other words, Im not going anywhere. Add me to your Ignore list. If not Lets talk in 4 months about how wrong I am, Im fine with that. When Im proved right, I dont expect to hear from u.
You got it all wrong mapleleaf I have no interest in any MM hockey Player or Team and think challenging certain views is healthy to this form and prevents you or Chewer on getting too drunk on previous success. No worries I'm not going anywhere and I'm sure you would love to be proven wrong as much as I would.

I think many of bloggers have personal interest and don't like it when their favorites aren't mention or mentioned negatively.

Its a blog, and people have the right to share their opinions. I try to focus on the positives and strengthens and try to avoid criticizing atleast till their 18.

Last edited by skating101: 01-14-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 05:47 PM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
He needs to grow. Also I don't think he developed at all this year. Poor coaching and very mediocre co-workers. Josh looked much better in Prospects game when he played with better d-men and was able to show his wheels and not worry about his partners not being up to snuff or his coach getting upset with him.

2nd rd sounds right.
Marlies coaching for what I have seen and heard is atrocious. Think scouts see this and I have heard a few comments that they can get more out of some kids next year, Defarias being one of them.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:03 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Marlies coaching for what I have seen and heard is atrocious. Think scouts see this and I have heard a few comments that they can get more out of some kids next year, Defarias being one of them.
Maybe the coaching is questionable but effort would be visible? i.e. The Webbs, Fregona, Maclean, Richardson and Strome. The rest, its tough to know what your getting from night to night.

Defarius.. what more can u get that your not getting now? He is not strong enough right now, doesnt engage players possibly because of this. The corners and behind his net he struggles to win battles. It will get harder next year.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:00 PM
skating101

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post

Can't comment on any scouting remarks but IMO from the games I have watched he engages physically and puts himself in harm’s way to block shots.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:05 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Port Huron International Silver Sticks 98 Bantam

Detroit Honeybaked won the Tourney today. They won the Marlie Classic as well. They have won 48 games in a row. Unbelievable. They beat the 98 Marlboros 6-3. The final four teams were Detroit Honeybaked, Toronto Marlboros, Mississauga Rebels, Chicago Mission.
Does the '98 Honeybaked team have some high end players or is their success mostly a factor of a deep group of better than average players?

Old
01-14-2013, 08:50 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Does the '98 Honeybaked team have some high end players or is their success mostly a factor of a deep group of better than average players?
They have some high end players:

Patrick Khodorenko
Nick Pastujov(best player on team)
Mike Latorella (best goalie Ive seen this year including minor midget)
Ryan Bederka
Nicholas Mckeeby(This kid has fantastic wheels)
Mitchell Lewandowski

Old
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
You got it all wrong mapleleaf I have no interest in any MM hockey Player or Team and think challenging certain views is healthy to this form and prevents you or Chewer on getting too drunk on previous success. No worries I'm not going anywhere and I'm sure you would love to be proven wrong as much as I would.

I think many of bloggers have personal interest and don't like it when their favorites are mention or mentioned negatively.

Its a blog, and people have the right to share their opinions. I try to focus on the positives and strengthens and try to avoid criticizing atleast till their 18.
I dont appreciate being called a drunk and affiliated with Mapleleaf979. LOL

In all seriousness, this forum allows for all people to voice their opinions, whether positive or negative. For a player to be mentioned on this blog, should be a compliment first of all.

But to expect that all bloggers will express positive comments is unrealistic and defeats the purpose. Life is not perfect, and not is all fair. If you cant accept constructive criticism, tough luck.

I dont think that any of the bloggers are malicious, and most, including myself are just being armchair quarterbacks and providing their opinions. To say that a kid will go in the 2nd round, and requires a more complete game, is a positive and not negative. Maybe it didnt put another trophy on your mantle, but thats life.

I have made comments about Strome being an 8-10 pick and have been raked over the coals for that by almost all, but thats my opinion on the kid. Not because I have something against the kid or Marlies, but because I think he doesnt impress, or stick out like the other top end picks. Only time will tell whether I was right or wrong. But I will not agree with all, just so we can have a positive blog, is ridiculous.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:11 PM
LKF

Chewer, great posts, found this on line. You might enjoy it and maybe you are right about your sleeper pick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBvUVmqvAag

Old
01-14-2013, 10:23 PM
skating101

Quote:
I dont appreciate being called a drunk and affiliated with Mapleleaf979. LOL

In all seriousness, this forum allows for all people to voice their opinions, whether positive or negative. For a player to be mentioned on this blog, should be a compliment first of all.

But to expect that all bloggers will express positive comments is unrealistic and defeats the purpose. Life is not perfect, and not is all fair. If you cant accept constructive criticism, tough luck.

I dont think that any of the bloggers are malicious, and most, including myself are just being armchair quarterbacks and providing their opinions. To say that a kid will go in the 2nd round, and requires a more complete game, is a positive and not negative. Maybe it didnt put another trophy on your mantle, but thats life.

I have made comments about Strome being an 8-10 pick and have been raked over the coals for that by almost all, but thats my opinion on the kid. Not because I have something against the kid or Marlies, but because I think he doesnt impress, or stick out like the other top end picks. Only time will tell whether I was right or wrong. But I will not agree with all, just so we can have a positive blog, is ridiculous.
My “drunk with success” statement should not be confused with alcohol. You have been right more than wrong just don't let it go to your head.

Time will tell

Old
01-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
Chewer, great posts, found this on line. You might enjoy it and maybe you are right about your sleeper pick!
Now we know the reason for all the taping.
Mitch is a very good player, hopefully he will get those extra few inches and pounds.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Well, it's a highlight reel, so of course it's going to make him look good.

But I don't know that many could disagree with chewer if you're just looking at the skillset of Marner.
Based on what I've seen (limited to just the Marlie Classic since I'm not a scout, I just like to pretend to be), he has to be right up there at the top as far as skillsets go.
If he's not, a lot of people are unnecessarily hard on this 97 group.

He has the skill to be a difference maker, wants to be one, and is one.
His size isn't a factor at this level and he plays bigger than his size, but it's a question mark going forward and that will make teams hesitate.
I don't think it's so much about his height (which if it's true that he's growing and that he has siblings that are ideal height, that should put some teams at ease) as it is his weight and strength.
If he's going to play in the OHL next year, he'll have to pack on a decent amount of muscle (maybe 30 or more pounds?) to be able to compete every night, given his height right now.
He knows that and his adviser knows that, so they'll play the NCAA card which gives him the opportunity to have a more long-term development curve, which I don't blame them for.
Both of those things will no doubt be issues for teams, as they work all year to make good on their most valuable resource, their draft picks.

With that being said, I could still see a good team gamble on him early just based on what he could potentially bring to the table a bit down the road.
He's probably going to need at least a year, but if you're a good team you might have the luxury of waiting.
If you can get an assurance that he'll report, that's one question out of the way.
If you do your due diligence and see if he likely has a growth spurt or two left in him, there's another one knocked out.
If you can get him into your camp and on your program, then send him to St. Mike's for seasoning while he matures, you probably have a pretty nice player on your hands.
It's easy for teams that contend every year to do that, but not so much for ones that can't afford to wait on a player when they can get potentially five years out of another one.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:37 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
My “drunk with success” statement should not be confused with alcohol. You have been right more than wrong just don't let it go to your head.

Time will tell

When I am around the Airport, I get calls from the Air Traffic Controllers to bow my head, as planes are approaching. LOL

Old
01-15-2013, 10:37 AM
chewerjones

You guys can now call me "Sir Chewer".

Old
01-15-2013, 10:38 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Now we know the reason for all the taping.
Mitch is a very good player, hopefully he will get those extra few inches and pounds.
I told you guys to remember the name- Mitch Marner. Sleeper pick.

Mapleleaf979 is doing flips right now. LOL

Old
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, it's a highlight reel, so of course it's going to make him look good.

But I don't know that many could disagree with chewer if you're just looking at the skillset of Marner.
Based on what I've seen (limited to just the Marlie Classic since I'm not a scout, I just like to pretend to be), he has to be right up there at the top as far as skillsets go.
If he's not, a lot of people are unnecessarily hard on this 97 group.

He has the skill to be a difference maker, wants to be one, and is one.
His size isn't a factor at this level and he plays bigger than his size, but it's a question mark going forward and that will make teams hesitate.
I don't think it's so much about his height (which if it's true that he's growing and that he has siblings that are ideal height, that should put some teams at ease) as it is his weight and strength.
If he's going to play in the OHL next year, he'll have to pack on a decent amount of muscle (maybe 30 or more pounds?) to be able to compete every night, given his height right now.
He knows that and his adviser knows that, so they'll play the NCAA card which gives him the opportunity to have a more long-term development curve, which I don't blame them for.
Both of those things will no doubt be issues for teams, as they work all year to make good on their most valuable resource, their draft picks.

With that being said, I could still see a good team gamble on him early just based on what he could potentially bring to the table a bit down the road.
He's probably going to need at least a year, but if you're a good team you might have the luxury of waiting.
If you can get an assurance that he'll report, that's one question out of the way.
If you do your due diligence and see if he likely has a growth spurt or two left in him, there's another one knocked out.
If you can get him into your camp and on your program, then send him to St. Mike's for seasoning while he matures, you probably have a pretty nice player on your hands.
It's easy for teams that contend every year to do that, but not so much for ones that can't afford to wait on a player when they can get potentially five years out of another one.
I can see him going in the 2nd rd. I don't think he will go past the 3rd rd.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:09 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I told you guys to remember the name- Mitch Marner. Sleeper pick.

Mapleleaf979 is doing flips right now. LOL

Marner to me isnt a sleeper pick, everyone knows him, his skill is easy to see, his lack of size is also easy to see. If Marner was 5-11 he would be in the Top 10 potentially.

Chewer in your mock u put Marner @ #15.....do u stand by that still? Do u remember DAvid Miller? 5th round because OHL teams thought his size was an issue.

Im not saying Marner will be that late of a pick, Marner is nowhere near as tough as David Miller, thats what teams didnt know about David Miller, he is a warrior. Fabbri was another shorter player taken high in the draft..why didnt it matter for FAbbri? He proved to be fearless and will battle anyone, any size anywhere on the ice. Fabbri was getting run all season long and never a complaint from him. Block shots with his helmet, it didnt matter. This is why people fell in love with him and thought the OHL physical game wont faze him. Marner doesnt engage players or throw his body around like Fabbri did. Nowhere to hide in the OHL, the difference in PHysical play is massive compared to minor midget AAA. U see kids drafted in the Top 10 last year, who are too intimidated to play there skill game.

I dont mean to burst your bubble but first round IS NOT happening for Marner right now, late second or third yes.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 01-15-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Marner to me isnt a sleeper pick, everyone knows him, his skill is easy to see, his lack of size is also easy to see. If Marner was 5-11 he would be in the Top 10 potentially.

Chewer in your mock u put Marner @ #15.....do u stand by that still? Do u remember DAvid Miller? 5th round because OHL teams thought his size was an issue.

Im not saying Marner will be that late of a pick, Marner is nowhere near as tough as David Miller, thats what teams didnt know about David Miller, he is a warrior. Fabbri was another shorter player taken high in the draft..why didnt it matter for FAbbri? He proved to be fearless and will battle anyone, any size anywhere on the ice. Fabbri was getting run all season long and never a complaint from him. Block shots with his helmet, it didnt matter. This is why people fell in love with him and thought the OHL physical game wont faze him. Marner doesnt engage players or throw his body around like Fabbri did. Nowhere to hide in the OHL, the difference in PHysical play is massive compared to minor midget AAA. U see kids drafted in the Top 10 last year, who are too intimidated to play there skill game.

I dont mean to burst your bubble but first round IS NOT happening for Marner right now, late second or third yes.
Fabbri hurt much bigger boys when he hit them. Much thicker than Marner, outweighed him by 30 pounds or more. Marner is a really good player but no Fabbri. Miller should have gone where Marner will go as I also said earlier, 2nd rd not past 3rd. GM's went to sleep on him.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:37 PM
skating101

Quote:
Gifted skater nice touch with the background music

Closed Thread