HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier

Old
01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
mdonova33

vCash: 500
Jonathan Bernier

With the Kings having a number 1 goaltender in Quick, and Bernier seeming to be a capable goalie, could you see him going to someone like the Leafs, Oilers, Lightning, or the Blue Jackets?

I could see him going for a 1st rounder, maybe even a 1st and a 2nd in a future draft.

Something similar in value to the Varlamov trade.

mdonova33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonova33 View Post
With the Kings having a number 1 goaltender in Quick, and Bernier seeming to be a capable goalie, could you see him going to someone like the Leafs, Oilers, Lightning, or the Blue Jackets?

I could see him going for a 1st rounder, maybe even a 1st and a 2nd in a future draft.

I like Bernier, but the Leafs will run with Reimer before giving a 1st+ for a goalie with similar numbers.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:

I think Leafs should go after Bernier rather than Luongo. Although the price tage may be a bit more, Bernier makes more sense given his age and contract.

I think a deal would be based around a 1st rounder + roster player that suits LA needs + mid to high level prospect.

Lebda Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:57 AM
crazyhawk

Quote:

With Lindback going for two 2nds and a 3rd I can hardly see Bernier garnering any greater return seeing as he is as unproven as Lindback.

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:57 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Bernier doesn't have nearly as much value as Varlmaov. Varlamov was a big reason why the Capitals were alive in the playoffs, because it certainly wasn't Ovechkin and Green keeping them alive. Bernier has done nothing in the playoffs and very little in the regular season to show that he can be a starter. He has a lot of potential, but not a lot of trade value. I wouldn't give up much for him.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I like Bernier, but the Leafs will run with Reimer before giving a 1st+ for a goalie with similar numbers.
Agreed a 1st is steep, ecspeciall in a deep draft year. But Bernier has been a solid tender his wole career including juniors where he played for Canada. I feel his potential to reach that #1 goalie caliber are higher than that of riemers. Id be willing to pay it for him

Old
01-15-2013, 10:58 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebda Snipes View Post
I think Leafs should go after Bernier rather than Luongo. Although the price tage may be a bit more, Bernier makes more sense given his age and contract.

I think a deal would be based around a 1st rounder + roster player that suits LA needs + mid to high level prospect.
No way Nonis gives up another first, haven't you had enough of watching Seguin and Hamilton being drafted? What if you crap the bed again then what? You'll be watching the Kings draft Mackinnon, fun fun fun!!

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:59 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:

He looked real bad at the Spangler Cup, and was replaced by Dubnyk, who looked great. Be lucking to get a 1st, best bet would be a 2nd + B prospect. He's not better then what the Oilers, Lightning, or Blue Jackets have, best bet all these teams would pass.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Agreed a 1st is steep, ecspeciall in a deep draft year. But Bernier has been a solid tender his wole career including juniors where he played for Canada. I feel his potential to reach that #1 goalie caliber are higher than that of riemers. Id be willing to pay it for him
If i'm willing to deal our 1st for a goalie (which i'm not), i'll deal it for Luongo over Bernier 10 times out of 10. Luongo will be a #1G for 4-6 years.....and as you said, Bernier has the potential to be. That is a big difference.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
No way Nonis gives up another first, haven't you had enough of watching Seguin and Hamilton being drafted? What if you crap the bed again then what? You'll be watching the Kings draft Mackinnon, fun fun fun!!
But same could be said if Bernier takes us to the promise land. Hindsight will be 20/20. but if we dont pull the trigger on a goalie like this someone else will. Bernier is an upgrade over Riemer, and for that matter we should look into what it would cost to get him.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
If i'm willing to deal our 1st for a goalie (which i'm not), i'll deal it for Luongo over Bernier 10 times out of 10. Luongo will be a #1G for 4-6 years.....and as you said, Bernier has the potential to be. That is a big difference.
Very true. I do see your point. But i feel getting Luongo is only going to make us thinner everywhere else with what we would give up. If we can get Bernier and keep our core together I would do so. Bernier would be saught after by more teams than Luongo is, which makes for more competition to get him, thus drives the price up.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:05 AM
damacles1156

Rumor in Kings land is Lombardi wants a First round pick.

Also Lombardi is not in a hurry to move him.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

This has been beaten to death already. Some think Bernier has been underwhelming. Bernier has done nothing. Every team has a similar goalie prospect when he's putting up a +.900 SV%. Bernier was bad @ the Sprengler Cup...that's a new one.

Useless.

Kings gladly keep him. Me too, I feel very comfortable with Jonathan in net. I actually think he should play more.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
He looked real bad at the Spangler Cup, and was replaced by Dubnyk, who looked great. Be lucking to get a 1st, best bet would be a 2nd + B prospect. He's not better then what the Oilers, Lightning, or Blue Jackets have, best bet all these teams would pass.
Spangler cup should be taken with a grain of salt. Players dont really care about it, much like the world championship. 2nd + B-level prospect seems in the ballpark, but i wont be surprised if he goes for more.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Kings should at least keep him for this season, isn't Quick still injured?

And with the shortened season, having depth in all positions is key.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:15 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Spangler cup should be taken with a grain of salt. Players dont really care about it, much like the world championship. 2nd + B-level prospect seems in the ballpark, but i wont be surprised if he goes for more.
Look it at this way, Bernier is playing for a contract and to be traded. To do that he has to preform, he did't do that at the Spangler Cup. If he cannot do it at nothing tournament, like you say, what makes you think he can be a #1 goalie. If a player doesn't care about playing for his country, I don't want him on my team.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Look it at this way, Bernier is playing for a contract and to be traded. To do that he has to preform, he did't do that at the Spangler Cup. If he cannot do it at nothing tournament, like you say, what makes you think he can be a #1 goalie. If a player doesn't care about playing for his country, I don't want him on my team.
Dude get out of here. From what I remember Bernier played one game and lost in OT with 2-1. Next game Dubnyuk had a SO and logically played the next game and he continued to play well. You can say everything you want, but this is ridiculous.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Im not saying Bernier is a guy who wont put the effort in, or doesnt care about playing for his country. But as far as competition level goes, Spangler cup is sub-par. And i would question the effort level given to any of the NHL players that played in it over the lockout.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Very true. I do see your point. But i feel getting Luongo is only going to make us thinner everywhere else with what we would give up. If we can get Bernier and keep our core together I would do so. Bernier would be saught after by more teams than Luongo is, which makes for more competition to get him, thus drives the price up.
If Nonis puts our 1st on the table....the plusses won't be detrimental.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:44 AM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Urbom + a 2nd or a 3rd should do it. Especially for someone that hasn't done squat in the NHL and is a gamble at this point. If LA wants another goalie in return then we'll include Frazee.

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
daveleaf

Getting a first round pic will be tough. GM's just don't throw those around anymore unless his name is Burke and well, he's looking for work.

I would say Bernier would garner a solid prospect and maybe a lower pic. Not sure what LA needs but one only has to look at previous trades and see players never really are traded for worth. Bernier is not Mike Richards nor Jeff Carter but a very good prospect.

I would love to see him on the Leafs battling Reimer for the starting job. Wouldn't that be an ideal situation for the both of them?

What would I give up? I would start with a defensive prospect like Blacker, pretty much around the same learning curve and maybe a player like Carter Ashton but what do I know. LA fans will say no where near enough and Toronto fans will say too much. Two very good prospects for another that is the way I would do it.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Ollie Weeks

Unless we can immediately secure a veteran backup for Bernier, I think we keep him until the end of this season. There are going to be a lot of games played in a short amount of time, with increased number of back-to-back games and a heightened chance of injuries.

Come the draft, a pick or two sounds about right.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Kings should at least keep him for this season, isn't Quick still injured?

And with the shortened season, having depth in all positions is key.
Quick just got cleared by medical to play, literally just days ago

DL has publicly gone on the record saying bernier is to valuable to the team to trade just now.

my feeling is that with Quick just being cleared and shortened season, that we will see quite a bit of JB in net for LA. i haven't heard anything mentioned yet about Quick's conditioning so far. if he was just medically cleared, then i think it is safe to assume he isn't at 100%. i don't anticipate Sutter playing him game after game. i also recall seeing mention that LA is going to use a very set schedule for the two of them this season. i think Quick gets the start this Saturday and after that we will see more JB than usual, while JQ is worked back up.

one thing i did notice last night on the kings practice was JQ wasn't all over the crease like normal. he was moving but not like what we've been accustomed to. i think his conditioning and flexibility will be worked up.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Spectrefire

Bernier has very little value right now. Sure he has a lot of upside, but that upside isn't taking him anywhere if he's only playing 15 games a season behind Quick. The Kings can't trade him now because they just won't get anything back for him. They need to keep Bernier for the season, give him 25-30 starts and prove he's worth something in the NHL, and then trade him to someone who's looking.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

I wouldn't have a problem , as a Leafs fan, giving a 1st rounder if i was in the 15-30 range but the upgrade of him over Reimer dosn't merit a top 10 pick in a deep draft.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote