HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2012-13 Training Camp Sun Jan 13 - Fri Jan 18

Old
01-14-2013, 09:50 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

vCash: 500
wheres the foligno interview

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

It was also very nice to finally meet some of you! Chain and The SchoolMaster. Very fun, thanks to both of you

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:55 PM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

I can't seem to get the Darcy interview to play. Can anyone give me the cliff notes?

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Daz28

tyvm for the updates. Could you please let me know who was killing penalties, especially who was centering?

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:29 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Leino being booed in a scrimmage shootout reminds me of something that happened to Jared Jeffries in an open scrimmage in Knicks camp last season, as he was booed during introductions. It was a pretty crap thing to do. Jeffries had previously been on the Knicks under a terrible contract which, of course, wasn't his fault but management's. He'd since been traded and returned the previous year where he blew an open lay-up (which is sort of his thing -- though he had a really good game otherwise) that would have probably prevented the Knicks from being swept in the first round by the Celtics.

Anyhow, Jeffries was always a favorite of mine even as most fans hated him, because he's a total team/hustle player that does the little things. But as last season went on, he became a true fan favorite for these same things (the fact he took a vet minimum contract to come back obviously helped). Hopefully Leino being booed leads to him having a fan favorite season this year, rather than, you know, makes him press right out of the gate

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupWanted View Post
I can't seem to get the Darcy interview to play. Can anyone give me the cliff notes?
It's an MP3, so if it doesn't play in your browser then download it (you should be able to right-click and choose "Save") and play it in your preferred music/video player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
tyvm for the updates. Could you please let me know who was killing penalties, especially who was centering?
Did they have special teams? Usually these scrimmages just do penalty shots but considering the circumstances I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they had special teams play.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
They did do special teams -- 1 minute penalties. No one unusual was PKing, and Grigorenko's line did get some PP time where he had a couple of chances. The kid had a lot of chances.

01-15-2013, 05:35 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

By the way, I'm not sure if I like a Regehr-Myers pairing. Would probably prefer to see Leopold or Sekera there and Regehr with the other. I'm always a believer in Sekera-Myers having great two-way potential as a pairing. That said, how did the (NHL) pairings look out there?

Old
01-15-2013, 05:42 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
By the way, I'm not sure if I like a Regehr-Myers pairing. Would probably prefer to see Leopold or Sekera there and Regehr with the other. I'm always a believer in Sekera-Myers having great two-way potential as a pairing. That said, how did the (NHL) pairings look out there?
The NHL pairings looked good. Sekera-Leopold had a lot of jump, both up in the play and using their feet to recover and start transition in their own zone. Sulzer-Ehrhoff were their usual pairing -- complimentary, pretty sound defense, a gaff or two but good at covering for one another. Regehr-Myers looked ok as well -- Regehr knocked a few players (Stafford namely) off the puck with authority and started things in transition, including jumping into a rush. Myers still looks a bit ginger on that ankle, maybe it was just me.

The troublesome pairs were McNabb-Weber (often turnovers from both, easily hemmed, too damn slow as a pair), Brennan-Biega (pinch by Brennan leads to a GA, Biega got his bell rung) , and Pardy-Pysyk (mostly Pysyk looking overmatched, Pardy got pickpocketed by Vanek on what should've been an easy clear).

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:05 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The NHL pairings looked good. Sekera-Leopold had a lot of jump, both up in the play and using their feet to recover and start transition in their own zone. Sulzer-Ehrhoff were their usual pairing -- complimentary, pretty sound defense, a gaff or two but good at covering for one another. Regehr-Myers looked ok as well -- Regehr knocked a few players (Stafford namely) off the puck with authority and started things in transition, including jumping into a rush. Myers still looks a bit ginger on that ankle, maybe it was just me.

The troublesome pairs were McNabb-Weber (often turnovers from both, easily hemmed, too damn slow as a pair), Brennan-Biega (pinch by Brennan leads to a GA, Biega got his bell rung) , and Pardy-Pysyk (mostly Pysyk looking overmatched, Pardy got pickpocketed by Vanek on what should've been an easy clear).
Thanks. I just worry about Regehr's lost step that he showed last season, as otherwise his game's an excellent compliment to Myers'. Regarding Weber, I've nearly written him off. A guy who brings what we expect him to bring (bottom-pairing physicality, steady play) isn't exactly the rarest thing in the world and for at least a season now he hasn't been providing that. A pairing of McNabb-Weber is about as slow as it gets

Old
01-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Thanks. I just worry about Regehr's lost step that he showed last season, as otherwise his game's an excellent compliment to Myers'. Regarding Weber, I've nearly written him off. A guy who brings what we expect him to bring (bottom-pairing physicality, steady play) isn't exactly the rarest thing in the world and for at least a season now he hasn't been providing that. A pairing of McNabb-Weber is about as slow as it gets
McNabb-Weber had all the same issues Regehr-Weber had without Regehr's vet savvy for positioning and timing or puck security. I'd like to see Myers given the green light to gallop more, yet the Regehr-Sekera pairing was so effective in their role that I'm not sure of the logic of switching it up again. *shrug* Regehr is, if nothing else, going to stay back.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
McNabb-Weber had all the same issues Regehr-Weber had without Regehr's vet savvy for positioning and timing or puck security. I'd like to see Myers given the green light to gallop more, yet the Regehr-Sekera pairing was so effective in their role that I'm not sure of the logic of switching it up again. *shrug* Regehr is, if nothing else, going to stay back.
While seeing continual defensive growth to, hopefully, the point of dominance is the biggest thing with Myers, I also would like to see him more involved offensively. With how much ground he can cover he should be able to find that balance where he can contribute offensively without giving up much defensively. I suppose that's one benefit of Regehr playing with him so long as he holds up. I just hope Lindy gets the combos right and the guys all play as well as they can, because this defense has strong potential but could also quickly become a weak point if things go sour.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:31 AM
HiddenInLight

From what I have heard, Grigorenko looked like he belonged in the NHL last night, is that a correct notion? This is mostly going off of WGR this morning and snippets from this thread. They also said that Ott - Grigs - Leino looked like they had instant chemistry, like they had already played together for two years. Also that Ott looked like he was severely pressed to behave out there against his own teammates and was itching to play his usual physical game and run his mouth off.

Overall I like the lines that they are using. It seems to me like a roster that they wouldn't have to change around constantly as all of the lines work well, and have a well defined roll.

Vanek - Hodgeson - Pomminville

Top line with a well balanced group. Vanek and Pommer with great chemistry, also CoHo and Vanek with chemistry from last year. CoHo's play complements vanek's very well IMO, and with Pommer's all around play this line will be dangerous.

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford

Transitional line that will get many odd man rushes, and will probably end up scoring often. One tough player in Foligno to help protect Ennis, and Stafford who is large enough not to need protecting. Great chemestry all around. High energy line.

Ott - Grigorenko - Leino

A great group to get Grigorenko into the NHL, with a setup/posession guy like Leino, and a gritty tough guy, with savvy and offensive upside in Ott, both with center experiance to help alleviate any mistakes Grigs makes. Based on how he played in the scrimmage he should put up points this year through sheer volume of opportunities. Especially with leino feeding him the puck. I predict that while Leino won't get a ton of goals this year, he will rack up a bunch of assists. Especially with the chemistry this line seems to be showing right away.

Gerbe - Hecht - Kaleta

Assuming they can stay healthy (most injury prone line in the NHL? ) This will be a stone solid defensive line. A line that we can put out there in the last 30 seconds of a game where we are up a point and in our own end, and not worry too much about it. The fact that all three of them have a big offensive upside is only icing on the cake. These are top 9 guys put onto the 4th line due to depth. I like this line a lot, and it is a big reason for why I am hoping for grigs to stay in the NHL. Probably the best defensive line we could put together based on this roster.

Overall impressions:

This lineup pretty much dictates itself. The only issue I have is who comes out when we need scott to play enforcer, but that will probably be dictated on whichever player on the bottom line has an injury that would benefit the most from a night or two off. We have good depth at the moment considering most of our 4th line from last yeah will be in the press box as fill-ins. This should alleviate Ruff's lines from a hat strategy of game planning, as each line just seems to fit, and it is quite obvious what it should look like. Overall I think this lineup will look better then last years' assuming that Grigorenko can continue to look like he belongs at this level. If he is sent back, this team does not look nearly as complete IMO.

As for the defensive pairings, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Regehr - Myers

I get that they are trying to round out Myers game by allowing RR to mentor him, but can Robyn keep up with Myers at this point in his career? But, this begs the question, if not Regehr, who do you pair with Myers. Ideally Regehr goes with sekera as our shutdown defenders, which is the pairing which is ideal for Regehr IMO, but is leopold good enough to be our number two defensemen? I don't think so, and we really don't want to break up Sulzer and Ehrhoff. So I guess this is the only pairing that makes sense until some of our younger guys develop enough to stick in the NHL.

Sekera - Leopold

This pairing seems to be the leftovers. These two can really crunch some minutes as they are both all situation defenders, relatively steady and solid in both zones, and usually don't make stupid mistakes. All in all, not a shockingly good pairing, but should get the job done when called. This will be the pairing that we draw from to fill in for any injuries that occur, and can plug a lesser dman in without worrying too much due to the other defender's ability.

Sulzer - Ehrhoff

Not much to be said. This pairing complements eachother well and seemingly has great natural chemistry. A good overall pairing with high offensive upside from Ehrhoff.

Weber - Pardy - Brennan

This is going to be a dogfight. I only see one of them making the opening day roster, and I'm not sure which one it will be. What will Pardy bring to the lineup? Will he be that steady defender that can fill in when needed with limited mistakes? I don't know, I've never seen him play. Can Brennan's Offensive zone play make up for his defensive blunders? He reminds me an aweful lot of Gragnani before he had that complete meltdown....Which weber will we see this year. The reliable steady dman that he shows sometimes or the liability he showed for most of last year? Overall my bet is that at least one of them is traded. My bet is Brennan.

Miller
Enroth

Just what you'd expect. Enroth seems to be improving steadily. Hopefully this allows miller tok get adequat rest this year. We need to keep miller at the top of his game if we want to succeed this year.

Overall, I like how we are looking so far, and though I won't be able to make any of the open practices I will be following as closely as I can otherwise.

I'm honestly glad that hockey is back!

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I hate that we aren't going with Sekera/Myers.... HATE

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Note: OP Additions - A/V

01.15 Lindy Ruff speaks with the Howard Simon Show on WGR. <17:11>

Also of note, Hockey Hotline (Sylvester, Peters) will broadcast from ice level, between the benches, during today's open practice. <WGR-AM player>

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:03 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I agree with this, but I think I hate Leopold - Regehr more.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:14 AM
sabrezombie

Speaking of Leo, I did not think he looked very good last night. Hopefully just a little rusty.

sabrezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
It's like complaining about the lines: wait two periods.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:22 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
From what I have heard, Grigorenko looked like he belonged in the NHL last night, is that a correct notion?
Small sample size, but yes.

IMO (just like Myers) Grigorenko will get the 5 game tryout and then stay for the rest of the season.

Last edited by MacOfNiagara: 01-15-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Correction on # of games (Thanks vcv)
MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:27 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Small sample size, but yes.

IMO (just like Myers) Grigorenko will get the 6 game tryout and then stay for the rest of the season.
5 games

Something to remember though: Myers went back to juniors the year he was drafted. It was when he was 19 that he got the 9-game tryout and stuck.

So if Mikhail stays, it will be even more impressive.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's like complaining about the lines: wait two periods.
I HATE Lindy Ruff

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:34 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

What did everyone think of the goalies?

I thought watching the highlights that they both appeared to have plaed very well but I only saw the snippets.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:35 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
What did everyone think of the goalies?

I thought watching the highlights that they both appeared to have plaed very well but I only saw the snippets.
They did play well. Miller got beat on a tip by Vanek and Enroth on a 2-on-1 pass across the crease. Both very sharp.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Wait 2 decades? We're almost there >_< anyway. I wish I had some times to catch open practices. When do they run open till, times ad days?

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:37 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Wait 2 decades? We're almost there >_< anyway. I wish I had some times to catch open practices. When do they run open till, times ad days?
Through Friday, all start at 10:30. Woodhouse usually keeps the times on page 1.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote