HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
It would be more than okay with me, if he doesn't want to be apart of the team, that's his loss. The avs will survive, they lost better players.

I just don't see what's so bad about doing what you want to do? At the end of the day it's his life/career, if he wants to play in Russia, than more power to him.
Haha, ok fair enough, but I think you're secretly a robot. I don't see how you could be passionate enough about a team to post on the internet about them, and also be so apathetic to a fan favorite hypothetically forcing a trade out of the blue from your favorite team. A player could do whatever they want, without limits, and you're just like, "ehhh."

Old
01-15-2013, 10:44 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Do you have any knowledge that Kulikov wants to play in the NHL at all? Do you have any knowledge about what he is asking for?

Of all trade returns for O'Reilly, Kulikov should be at the bottom of the list. Perhaps slightly above Pronger, Gomez, DiPietro, Redden and Savard.
Nobody but Florida or Kulikov really knows what he is asking for. Given his production so far it will be under $4per.

As for him being on the bottom of the list, why? At worst he ends up a solid #2, at best he is a top 20 defensemen. He would instantly be our second best defensemen, and it could be argued that he is more sound than EJ (EJ has more raw talent though).

Old
01-15-2013, 10:47 AM
hockeyfish

vCash: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
The Avs were 24th in goals last season, how well did it really work?
I blame that on poor transition work by the D as well as being last in the league in power plays (by quite a bit, if I remember).

Old
01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Nobody but Florida or Kulikov really knows what he is asking for. Given his production so far it will be under $4per.

As for him being on the bottom of the list, why? At worst he ends up a solid #2, at best he is a top 20 defensemen. He would instantly be our second best defensement, and could be argued that he is more sound than EJ (EJ has more raw talent though).
Why would you want to trade for a player who you don't know if you can sign? You hope his demands are lower than O'Reillys despite having zero knowledge?

I know people are getting silly around here because of the frustration of the situation, but c'mon. Be realistic. There is no way Avs are going to trade for Kulikov.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Haha, ok fair enough, but I think you're secretly a robot. I don't see how you could be passionate enough about a team to post on the internet about them, and also be so apathetic to a fan favorite hypothetically forcing a trade out of the blue from your favorite team. A player could do whatever they want, without limits, and you're just like, "ehhh."
Having our top scorer removed, Mitchell in for McClement, and no true experienced PMD ain't going to fix that, especially if the likes of Hejda, O'Byrne, O'Brien, Zanon are in the team at the same time.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:53 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Why would you want to trade for a player you don't know if you can sign? You hope his demands are lower than O'Reillys despite having zero knowledge?

I know people are getting silly around here because of the frustration of the situation, but c'mon. Be realistic. There is no way Avs are going to trade for Kulikov.
You don't know if you can sign O'Reilly either. It isn't about the money demands being lower or higher. It is using an asset to improve the team overall.

There was no way that the Avs were going to trade for Varly at one point either, and he was actually threatening to go and stay in Russia. Yet the Avs gave up some good assets to bring him into the fold. Sherman has shown that if likes a player (no idea if he likes Kulikov), he is willing to take a risk.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
Quote:

I didn't hate Foppa or Foote when they left for more money. I was sad to see them go but they thought it was the best move for themselves.

The only way I'd start hating a player, is if he lets his game deteriorate or he starts becoming lazy. If Duchene or Hejduk asks for a trade tomorrow, I would be shocked/sad but I'd still cheer for them where ever they went.

O'Rielly has done none of that, he simply has been negotiating his next contract for his job. I can't a player for that, I can be fustrate with him but I can't hate him.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Having our top scorer removed, Mitchell in for McClement, and no true experienced PMD ain't going to fix that, especially if the likes of Hejda, O'Byrne, O'Brien, Zanon are in the team at the same time.
I think you meant to quote someone else? Or am I misunderstanding what you're referring to?

Old
01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Appleanche

I just want to mention this, Ryan Kesler makes 5 million a year. A guy with a 40 goal season, a few 70 pointers, and a Selke under his belt...

If anyone thinks that the Avs should be paying O'Reilly 5 million they are insane, especially since he's 21 with really one good season under his belt, with the team retaining for years to come.

Signing him to a 5million deal means he's paid nearly as much or more than Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, Brad Marchand, Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, and these deals were pre lockout.. with the cap going down the Avs can't afford another Stastny like contract..

Things are about to get a lot less exciting for the KHL and a 21 year old Canadian in it, with all the superstars gone including his teammate Malkin, he's probably going to get the fever when he sees games online.

The bottom line is you can't give UFA money to 21 year old RFAs and expect that this team be competitive in the future.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
I think you meant to quote someone else? Or am I misunderstanding what you're referring to?
LoL, I did. It's 3.56am in Sydney atm. I just had an inkling O'Reilly would sign today, so stayed up...

Old
01-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post

I didn't hate Foppa or Foote when they left for more money. I was sad to see them go but they thought it was the best move for themselves.

The only way I'd start hating a player, is if he lets his game deteriorate or he starts becoming lazy. If Duchene or Hejduk asks for a trade tomorrow, I would be shocked/sad but I'd still cheer for them where ever they went.

O'Rielly has done none of that, he simply has been negotiating his next contract for his job. I can't a player for that, I can be fustrate with him but I can't hate him.
I've never been upset with any player that left the Avs either, but come one now, let's be fair. Foote and Forsberg's situation are in another universe from O'Reilly's situation. They were UFA's, among the best in the league at their position, in the case of Forsberg a Hart trophy winning future HOFer, that were vastly lowballed due in part to the new CBA putting the Avs in cap trouble. None of that applies here.

It's also very different from Hejduk or Duchene playing on the team, but not well, and asking for a trade.

I think it comes down to me seeing different levels, and lines to be crossed, where as you more or less put it all in a similar category.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

It ticks me off because we drafted this guy earlier than most would have and gave him a chance to crack the lineup at 18. And now he wants more money than the likes of Dutchy and EJ, who are far more talented.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
It ticks me off because we drafted this guy earlier than most would have and gave him a chance to crack the lineup at 18. And now he wants more money than the likes of Dutchy and EJ, who are far more talented.
He was actually on some lists inside the top-30, and I think it was McKenzie or someone else who after the 1st round said that O'Reilly will be picked in the beginning of the 2nd round.

But else I agree with your post.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
LoL, I did. It's 3.56am in Sydney atm. I just had an inkling O'Reilly would sign today, so stayed up...
Wish you were right, but unfortunately I don't see it happening anytime soon. I could be wrong, but if they were close I think they would have come to terms already. I think they're pretty far apart, and one side is gonna have to move a lot to make it happen.

I'm almost positive the Avalanche aren't the kind of organization to move a long ways from their position, so that leaves it up to O'Reilly, and unless he's playing a Gary Bettman level game of chicken and waiting until seconds before the season starts to cave on his demands, I don't think he's going to move that far after everything he's done either.

Closed Thread