HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Teravainen vs Gaudreau

Old
01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
krazyhawk

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Skating's not the most important factor in the NHL, or else Bouwmeester would be the best defenseman in the league. Honestly you know nothing about hockey, or Gaudreau for that matter. Stop trolling these threads.
It is when you're the size of Gaudreau.Bigger players can get away with mediocre skating not so with little guys.And if you dont know this then you're the one who knows nothing about hockey.It is not the only factor,but it is a major one.The one thing all little guys have in common in the NHL is the ability to skate and skate well.Without it they don't last very long.

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhawk View Post
It is when you're the size of Gaudreau.Bigger players can get away with mediocre skating not so with little guys.And if you dont know this then you're the one who knows nothing about hockey.It is not the only factor,but it is a major one.The one thing all little guys have in common in the NHL is the ability to skate and skate well.Without it they don't last very long.
Strength is a major factor, at least in what separates the guys who might make it and the guys who don't. Obviously, if you're 5'7 and you're an average skater you have really no hope in the first place, so in that respect you can say it's the biggest factor perhaps. Really everything is important when we're talking 5'6-5'8. You have to have a loaded toolbox to make up for your height, not only in terms of the game itself but also to ever get a fair chance.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:54 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 0
Quote:
Well luckily Gaudreau's not a mediocre skater, and his shifty style is perfect for avoiding bigger players. This poster is perpetuating a myth that Gaudrea is a bad skater, just because he doesn't have explosive acceleration.With his agility and top end speed he's a very good skater. And his speed will improve in time; skating's one of the surest thing to improve when you work at it.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:17 AM
krazyhawk

Quote:
Well luckily Gaudreau's not a mediocre skater, and his shifty style is perfect for avoiding bigger players. This poster is perpetuating a myth that Gaudrea is a bad skater, just because he doesn't have explosive acceleration.With his agility and top end speed he's a very good skater. And his speed will improve in time; skating's one of the surest thing to improve when you work at it.
If you're talking about me,that's pure crap.I said no such thing!! I merely pointed out someone of his size has to be a good skater.I defy you to find one single post where I said he was a mediocre skater.In fact I have not commented on his skating ability anywhere.Try taking a reading comprehension course before you make any more comments of your own.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:23 AM
krazyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Strength is a major factor, at least in what separates the guys who might make it and the guys who don't. Obviously, if you're 5'7 and you're an average skater you have really no hope in the first place, so in that respect you can say it's the biggest factor perhaps. Really everything is important when we're talking 5'6-5'8. You have to have a loaded toolbox to make up for your height, not only in terms of the game itself but also to ever get a fair chance.
I agree totally which is why I said skating is a factor not the only factor.One of the reasons St Louis has survived this long is his strength combined with his skating and skill.He has the total package necessary for a small man to succeed in the NHL.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:01 AM
thomast

Lowerbody strength and balance are major factors. Vision isn't the only thing which seperates Sidney Crosby from other players. His balance and lowerbody strength is exceptional. He can make quality passes in awkward positions and when he is pressured. Makes puck protection much easier.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
DontToewzMeBro

Quote:
Skating's not the most important factor in the NHL, or else Bouwmeester would be the best defenseman in the league. Honestly you know nothing about hockey, or Gaudreau for that matter. Stop trolling these threads.
What someone like yourself doesn't comprehend(must be a stat guy) is that when your 5'7 and 1/2- skating is THE most important factor.

Is this not common knowledge in hockey?

Here let me give you an example in the animal kingdom:

The cheetah is a skilled hunter- but when amongst lions Hyena's or even Leopards- the Cheetah is vulnerable and defenseless - the only way the Cheetah succeeds is if he is faster than any prey animal it chases. If Gaudreau wants to be successful he needs to be a cheetah- or the Lions (Seabrook) or Hyenas (Bieksa) or Leopards (Del Zotto) will easily defeat him.

Lol

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
What someone like yourself doesn't comprehend(must be a stat guy) is that when your 5'7 and 1/2- skating is THE most important factor.

The cheetah is a skilled hunter- but when amongst lions Hyena's or even Leopards- the Cheetah is vulnerable and defenseless - the only way the Cheetah succeeds is if he is faster than any prey animal it chases. If Gaudreau wants to be successful he needs to be a cheetah- or the Lions (Seabrook) or Hyenas (Bieksa) or Leopards (Del Zotto) will easily defeat him.

Lol

Wow.....you must be an 'animal' guy, because you clearly aren't a hockey guy.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:33 PM
nogger
Can't stop the #dust

vCash: 50
What an awkward analogy

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Sevanston

When do lions, hyenas, or leopards even fight cheetahs?

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Callidusblackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
When do lions, hyenas, or leopards even fight cheetahs?
When they try to take the cheetahs food or eat the cheetahs babies. So i guess all those players will be doing that when they try to take the puck away from Gaudreau.

Callidusblackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:24 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Soooooo...Gaudreau is a cheetah?

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Helsingin Jokerit

So does this make Teräväinen a hawk or something

Helsingin Jokerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsingin Jokerit View Post
So does this make Teräväinen a hawk or something
No, he's a peacock. Let him fly!

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Quote:

Lol
Thank-you so much. I just got back from two painful lectures and needed something to brighten my day. You sir are quite the comedian.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:05 PM
YARR123

Quote:

The cheetah is a skilled hunter- but when amongst lions Hyena's or even Leopards- the Cheetah is vulnerable and defenseless - the only way the Cheetah succeeds is if he is faster than any prey animal it chases.
So the cheetah wins without competition, everyone knows the cheetah is twice as fast as a lion or a leopard

YARR123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
If you're talking about me,that's pure crap.I said no such thing!! I merely pointed out someone of his size has to be a good skater.I defy you to find one single post where I said he was a mediocre skater.In fact I have not commented on his skating ability anywhere.Try taking a reading comprehension course before you make any more comments of your own.
No I wasn't talking about you. All you had to do is read like 5 posts back and you would have saw that, so don't talk to me about reading comprehension.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:14 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:

Lol
I'm not a stat guy, I can actually play the game.

I agree that skating is an important factor but what you fail to understand is that there's a lot more to effective skating than acceleration. You act like it's the only thing that matters.

Gaudreau's agility is top notch, which makes him a very good skater. Agility is probably more important than acceleration for a guy like Gaudreau because he quickly uses it to find the empty space and thus is very hard to catch. Quick lateral movement is a lot better than straight line movement because it's shifty and unpredictable.

In a lot of ways, important ways, Gaudreau is actually a better skater than Teravainen. He's like a spider monkey that can jump up a tree at any time and always gets outta the way. Lions can't do **** about that.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
DontToewzMeBro

[QUOTE=NightBlazer;57635019]I'm not a stat guy, I can actually play the game.

I agree that skating is an important factor but what you fail to understand is that there's a lot more to effective skating than acceleration. You act like it's the only thing that matters.

Gaudreau's agility is top notch, which makes him a very good skater. Agility is probably more important than acceleration for a guy like Gaudreau because he quickly uses it to find the empty space and thus is very hard to catch. Quick lateral movement is a lot better than straight line movement because it's shifty and unpredictable.

In a lot of ways, important ways, Gaudreau is actually a better skater than Teravainen. He's like a spider monkey that can jump up a tree at any time and always gets outta the way. Lions can't do **** about that.[/

Gaudreau remiss me a lot of Brunette- which is why I dislike his skating so much.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Gary83*

[QUOTE=DontToewzMeBro;57637167]
Quote:
I'm not a stat guy, I can actually play the game.

In a lot of ways, important ways, Gaudreau is actually a better skater than Teravainen. He's like a spider monkey that can jump up a tree at any time and always gets outta the way. Lions can't do **** about that.[/

Gaudreau remiss me a lot of Brunette- which is why I dislike his skating so much.
Yeah. Watching TT he reminds me alot of Rico Fata. All flash no dash.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:48 PM
DontToewzMeBro

[QUOTE=NightBlazer;57635019]I'm not a stat guy, I can actually play the game.

Lions wait and stalk their prey they use experience and coordinated attacks to kill almost any animal.
What I mean is experienced NHL defenseman can handle a spider monkey like Johnny- agility will only get you so far-

Gaudreau reminds me a lot of Brunette- which is why I dislike his skating so much.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Thank-you so much. I just got back from two painful lectures and needed something to brighten my day. You sir are quite the comedian.
No problem, nice to see someone appreciates things

Rather than be like "OMG you don't know hockey"

Which I do, and have played and have watched since the Roenick era in CHI-Town

Old
01-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Buttonwood
$$$

vCash: 836
You know, I know a lot of people are bearish on Flames prospects, myself included, but I feel as if we can grab a hippopotamus and wildebeest in the first 3 rounds and at least one porcupine and wolverine in the last half of the draft, our prospect stable will be more competitive.

I would take elite smarts, instinct (animal or otherwise), deception, and lateral agility over elite speed. Or else (for a better analogy) the NFL draft would be based off of 40-times, which it is not. They are important but there are other less quantifiable factors that matter more, especially when combined.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Sevanston

I think we can all agree on the kind of player we're really looking to draft.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonwood View Post
You know, I know a lot of people are bearish on Flames prospects, myself included, but I feel as if we can grab a hippopotamus and wildebeest in the first 3 rounds and at least one porcupine and wolverine in the last half of the draft, our prospect stable will be more competitive.

I would take elite smarts, instinct (animal or otherwise), deception, and lateral agility over elite speed. Or else (for a better analogy) the NFL draft would be based off of 40-times, which it is not. They are important but there are other less quantifiable factors that matter more, especially when combined.
With kind of Player is a porcupine? Is Wellwood a hippo?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote