Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jamie Benn

Old
01-14-2013, 01:40 PM
AnaheimDucks90

vCash: 500
He could come back to Hamburg if he want to play some hockey. And in the off-season he can sign a new long term deal with Dallas! We badly need him back here...

AnaheimDucks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

My fantasy squad needs Benn, plus he's one of my favorite players to watch. Any rumblings about what's going on?

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:57 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Video of Benn on contract.

He said it's "going to come quick", and I think he was possibly talking about the contract. He did say it won't take long to get into game shape, and he's looking forward to playing hockey in DALLAS.

Obviously this isn't a disgruntled player so that's wonderful to hear.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Sounds good. Stupid video won't play for me though..Arrrgh.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Hegemon21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Sounds good. Stupid video won't play for me though..Arrrgh.
Wasn't working for me either. This one works.

http://www.cheknews.ca/index.php?opt...age&Itemid=137

Hegemon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
My fantasy squad needs Benn, plus he's one of my favorite players to watch. Any rumblings about what's going on?
Not a whole lot to say right now other than Rich Evans and Frank Provenzano haven't negotiated a mutually acceptable contract yet.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:14 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemon21 View Post
Wasn't working for me either. This one works.

http://www.cheknews.ca/index.php?opt...age&Itemid=137
Worked for me though. I didn't realize he had a tooth missing.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Video of Benn on contract.

He said it's "going to come quick", and I think he was possibly talking about the contract. He did say it won't take long to get into game shape, and he's looking forward to playing hockey in DALLAS.
I understood the "going to come quick" part to be in reference to the season starting.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I understood the "going to come quick" part to be in reference to the season starting.
a whole lotta nothing, per usual with these hockey player interviews. he did say "these things take time" with reference to the contract.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:18 PM
TrillMike

When did he loose a tooth? Has he been wearing a veneer?

I liked how he joked about it being a secret lol.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
When did he loose a tooth? Has he been wearing a veneer?

I liked how he joked about it being a secret lol.
Lol same here.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
BigG44

This is the first local media member to confirm what a few in the national media have already said.

Bob Sturm is also claiming the Dallas Stars are offering Jamie Benn comparable contracts to Eberle, Seguin and such.

He's speculating that Benn and his agent are pushing for a shorter term contract, and it sounds like they're expecting the same money. Basically, the insinuation seems to be he's looking for full value ($5 to $6 million) on a 4 year deal.

If that is true ... I don't care if he's not signed to start the season. That's a terrible situation for Dallas to be in. That puts him as an UFA in 4 years.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
BigG44

I think Bob makes a good point .... Dallas better hope for a fast start. I'd hate to see a slow start result in them giving Benn a contract that is bad for the team.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Give him 3 years at 6 million per. Call it a day.

Alternatively offer him a lowball 4 year deal and a big money longterm deal.

If he honestly wants to get to UFA, then we might as well either pay him nothing or just trade him.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:04 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Give him 3 years at 6 million per. Call it a day.
See I don't agree with this. That's not a bridge contract, and it set's an absolutely terrible precedence in the organization.

If he wants a bridge deal ... great that's not worth $6 million. You have to think about the long term cap health of the team. You have several other young players who could be Top 6 NHLers seeking their 2nd contract in the next two to three years. You can't just keep overpaying.

This is a situation I'm OK with them fighting. Assuming the reports are accurate, you've kept your end of the bargain. You have to consider the negative impact these negotiations will have on guys like R. Smith, Chiasson, Ritchie, etc.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Sturm makes some interesting arguments but I'm having trouble with the idea that Benn has the leverage in this situation. If the team starts out slow it's not really the end of the world here. They're not competing for anything serious this year.... it's a transition year. Roy is fully healthy, Eakin is fully proven in the AHL, even Wandell is coming off a decent stint in the KHL. The center situation looks much better than it did in the fall. Every game that Benn misses is a game he could be playing with legitimate wingers, one of who will be Jagr, and putting up serious production. The Stars don't have to leave their 6 year big money contract on the table indefinitely, either. They can say, "We're willing to give you a fair, high-dollar comparable contract to other young stars around the league, but if you miss X amount of games then we'll downgrade our offer to a bridge deal."

Old
01-16-2013, 11:48 AM
txomisc

I am disappointed this is taking so long. I sort of figured that would have basically worked things out before the lockout but hadn't signed due to the possibility of a salary rollback. Now we have one of our best players missing training camp time. I am a little worried that calling him a franchise player every chance you get may be backfiring on them.

If the rumored numbers are correct it really sounds like he is trying to position himself to take the Eberle level deal now without giving up any UFA years in order to position himself for a massive pay day. I think they need to stand firm on either a lower money short term deal or getting him signed long term.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
This is the first local media member to confirm what a few in the national media have already said.

Bob Sturm is also claiming the Dallas Stars are offering Jamie Benn comparable contracts to Eberle, Seguin and such.

He's speculating that Benn and his agent are pushing for a shorter term contract, and it sounds like they're expecting the same money. Basically, the insinuation seems to be he's looking for full value ($5 to $6 million) on a 4 year deal.

If that is true ... I don't care if he's not signed to start the season. That's a terrible situation for Dallas to be in. That puts him as an UFA in 4 years.
No GM would ever accept that and agents have to know it. You simply don't sign a young player to a contract where he is no longer under your control at the end of it. Nieuwendyk know's that, Benn know's that, his agent know's that. I suspect Benn is asking for 2-3 years, then wanting a big pay day if he transforms into that 35-55 strong defensively power forward we know he can become.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:29 PM
jagrgodr

Ouch.. this doesn't look good. Respect to the organization for playing hard ball, but man what a bad situation to be in with such a short training season and tough schedule. I guess we should lower our expectations for the first few games..

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:12 PM
TrillMike

And the day keeps getting better. FML

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Well, good news is Zajac is signed for a completely reasonable 8 year deal worth 5.75 million.

Benn should get Zajac's bridge (4 year, 15,550,000), but I really don't like giving him that fourth year.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Well, good news is Zajac is signed for a completely reasonable 8 year deal worth 5.75 million.

Benn should get Zajac's bridge (4 year, 15,550,000), but I really don't like giving him that fourth year.
A 4 year deal wouldn't be a bridge, it would take him to UFA.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Either he gets a 3 year deal or a 6 or 7 year deal. There's no way Dallas is going to give him a 4 year contract. He wants his cake (big money) and frosting too (4 year deal). He doesn't get to have both and he and his agent have to know that. Now he has to figure out what's more important. Less money now for shorter contract or that big payday that gets him 6 million or so but also ties him up for 6+ years.

I want Benn in camp but the organization cannot give into a 4 year deal or a 3 or less at big money. Holding out is going to hurt him and the club but Dallas has to do what's best for the franchise long term.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Agreed completely. I don't' care if we start the season without him, a deal that loses him in 4 years isn't acceptable.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:00 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Pierre LeBrun
Quote:
Tough to say after only one deal. I think it’s still going to depend on each player’s respective position. In fact, my understanding is that center Jamie Benn in Dallas is actually looking for a short-term deal with the Stars.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote