HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVI All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 12:49 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Another team looking more and more better than us. The drive for #1 in the draft is on!
Lets not fool yourself, last season was a total fiasco, everything went wrong, we are a much better team than that.. Nashville (without Suter), Islanders, Ottawa, Florida, Columbus, Phoenix, Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado and Dallas are all really bad teams that we should have no prob ending ahead.. We are a mid standing team IMO this year with some potential to surprise cause alot of our kids took alot of maturity the past season..

Old
01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHomez View Post
When did past Habs teams become "Out of town"?
Anyway, read this on former Leafs GMs:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413255

One thing jumped out:

And the highest pick he retained during any of his first three Maple Leaf drafts – the No. 7 overall in 2009, he used to take Nazem Kadri, a player who remains very much a work in progress at age 22.

Interestingly, Kadri is the only player selected by Burke to play a single NHL game. Among players taken during the '09, '10 and '11 drafts there are 90 players who've participated in NHL games. But Kadri, whose status in the NHL remains iffy, is the only Leaf.

Which made me wonder how our beloved Habs has done during the same period. The disappointing answer is, they've been just as bad. The only player in said class that has worn the Habs jersey in the NHL is Leblanc..

Maybe one of Tinordi, Bealieau or Ellis could make that two this year.

90 players on 30 teams gives three players per team on average, one player simplys isn't enough. Not having a second rd pick in 09 or a second and third in 10 obviously didn't help matters.
A more in-depth analysis must include what level of success the teams achieved during the same time frame. Giving up first and second rd picks for deep playoff runs may be worth a shallower talent pool a few years later. Habs obviously did better than the Leafs in the regard, while not doing great either.
Out of those 90 which ones actually had any impact on their respective teams? Maybe 20 or so because after the first 8 players you expect to have a longer development. The majority of those 90 played a handful of games and that is it. Defenseman are notorious for long development curves, even though I wasn't happy with any of Leblanc, Bealieau or Tinordi I can't write them off this early.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:09 AM
Odelein24

Armstrong doing a good job trolling Leaf Nation.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413548

That story has its own thread on the leaf board, at 5 pages in under 12 hours.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:23 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Out of those 90 which ones actually had any impact on their respective teams? Maybe 20 or so because after the first 8 players you expect to have a longer development. The majority of those 90 played a handful of games and that is it. Defenseman are notorious for long development curves, even though I wasn't happy with any of Leblanc, Bealieau or Tinordi I can't write them off this early.
For the record, i have exactly 21 players who did make an impact on their teams.

Including 12 for the 2009 draft, with only 3 players drafted outside of the 1st round (O'Reilly, Clifford, C. Smith).
Considering where Leblanc was drafted (18th), there is nothing wrong (right now), considering the speed of his development.
Ideally, he should be fighting for a 3rd line spot this year, since he was drafted in 2009.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:14 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Well, the article mainly focused on Burke's attempt at a quick re-tooling, rather than building through the draft which is more or less accepted as the best way to build a perennial contender. Dealing away two 1st and a 2nd for Kessel obviously hurt their drafting.

Comparing the Habs to the Leaf isn't really fair given the Habs drafted at 17 at best while the Leafs could have had three top 10 picks, a second in 2010 at best. Like I said it wasn't a very thorough analysis. And three year is a very short span avaluating drafting, but that was Burke's tenure.

I wasn't bashing the Habs drafting or player development at all. Given drafting somewhere around 20, they should be in a group of teams with few players from that pool playing in the NHL. Pittsburgh has one, Vancouver zero, Chicago one, Carolina one, I haven't got time to check more teams right now.

I would guesstimate that player drafted top ten make up an unproportinally large part of the pool of 90 players. Like you and other have said, player drafted later take longer to develop.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Leafs will be glad to dump Komisarek...

@NabilKarimTSN: Oh boy...“@coryworon: James van Riemsdyk has left the ice after taking a Mike Komisarek shot in the foot”

Old
01-15-2013, 10:45 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

@NabilKarimTSN: Oh boy...“@coryworon: James van Riemsdyk has left the ice after taking a Mike Komisarek shot in the foot”
Not surprised. Komisarek never could get a shot through to the goalie without hitting the forward in front of him.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

Didn't JVR have problems in the past with his foot/ankle? Misses the opener?

Old
01-15-2013, 11:08 AM
PyrettaBlaze

NYP_Brooksie:
NYR, NHL, NHLPA believed discussing scenario under which NYR could exercise compliant buyout on Redden now while retaining AHL cap hit.

https://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie/sta...29593627664385

Old
01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Sabres fan in peace here. David Desharnais is a FA in one of my fantasy leagues and I am thinking of picking him up. What line will he be playing on this year? You think he will match last years numbers? I have to drop either Tarasenko or Sven Baertschi for him...Thanks!

Old
01-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Sabres fan in peace here. David Desharnais is a FA in one of my fantasy leagues and I am thinking of picking him up. What line will he be playing on this year? You think he will match last years numbers? I have to drop either Tarasenko or Sven Baertschi for him...Thanks!
So far in camp nothing has changed compared to last year, with Pacioretty and Cole

Old
01-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
NYP_Brooksie:
NYR, NHL, NHLPA believed discussing scenario under which NYR could exercise compliant buyout on Redden now while retaining AHL cap hit.

https://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie/sta...29593627664385
you're too fast for me Pyretta, jeez. I was about to post it.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:13 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
If it's a one-year league and not a keeper league, I'd go with Desharnais. Barring anything crazy going down in camp, he should be on the first line with Pacioretty and Cole, same as last year. I'd certainly be disappointed if he didn't out-produce two rookies, as highly talented as they are.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If it's a one-year league and not a keeper league, I'd go with Desharnais. Barring anything crazy going down in camp, he should be on the first line with Pacioretty and Cole, same as last year. I'd certainly be disappointed if he didn't out-produce two rookies, as highly talented as they are.
Thanks guys! Any suggestions on who I should drop I was leaning towards Sven as I think Tarasenko might have a great year. It is just a one year league.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
you're too fast for me Pyretta, jeez. I was about to post it.
Sorry!

Old
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Thanks guys! Any suggestions on who I should drop I was leaning towards Sven as I think Tarasenko might have a great year. It is just a one year league.
Tough call, Tarasenko is playing great in the KHL but who knows how he'll adjust to North American ice. He's also less of a sure thing to play big minutes in St. Louis. Calgary will probably give Bartschi all the minutes he can handle. Hmm..I'd still keep Tarasenko.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Andy

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Kings lost 2 players on waivers today. Rich Clune now with Nashville. Thomas Hickey claimed by Islanders.

I win this one.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Tough call, Tarasenko is playing great in the KHL but who knows how he'll adjust to North American ice. He's also less of a sure thing to play big minutes in St. Louis. Calgary will probably give Bartschi all the minutes he can handle. Hmm..I'd still keep Tarasenko.
Yeah I agree, Thanks sir! =)

Old
01-15-2013, 11:26 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Lots of players on waivers today:

RenLavoieRDS:
Waivers Flames: Akim Aliu, Kris Kolanos, Joe Piskula, Ben Walter.

RenLavoieRDS:
Waivers Panthers: Jean-François Jacques, Andre Deveaux.

RenLavoieRDS:
Waivers Rangers: Sean Collins, Michael Haley, Chad Kolarik, Kris Newbury, Logan Pyett, Brendon Segal, Mike Vernace, Tommy Grant.

RenLavoieRDS:
Blues waivers: Adam Cracknell, Scoot Ford, TJ Hensick, Andrew Murray, Anthony Peluso, Brett Sonne, Mike McKenna.

RenLavoieRDS:
Wild waivers: Drew Bagnall, Brian Connelly, Chay Genoway, Carson McMillan, Jaros Palmer.

RenLavoieRDS:
Waivers: Carter Hutton (CHI), Jon Matsumoto (SJ), Brandon Mashinter (SJ), Mark Mancari (BUF)

Old
01-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Andy

Hensick is a good ahler. Habs should pick him up to help the farm club.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Kings lost 2 players on waivers today. Rich Clune now with Nashville. Thomas Hickey claimed by Islanders.

I win this one.
Clune and Hickey would ahve been decent pick ups if we didn't already have a lot of those types of players on the NHL roster(smaller PMD and banger/scrapper).

Old
01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Training camp waiver wire is always interesting. Still a little strange to see it in January.

Maybe we can find a diamond in the rough.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
I've always had a soft spot for Akim Aliu since reading Gare Joyce's book. No chance the Habs pick him up though.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Andy

There's a few ahlers I would take note of. Bulldogs desperately need help. Mancari is on waivers. He's another good one in the ahl.

Bergervin should have waited before signing a bunch of players to tryout contracts.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

2 things from the waivers so far. Chad Kolarik...awesome Wolverine. Not so awesome NHL'er. That Pacioretty-Porter-Kolarik line was incredibly dominating in the NCAA.

And in the category of "Was stupid then, is stupid now and will even be dumber after".....I present to you LA 2007 1st round pick, 4th overall. Thomas Hickey. Everybody knew that it was way too soon and way too dumb. Everybody but LA.

And Chay Genoway, really fun, fast and dynamic player with North Dakota. But geez he's small.

Closed Thread