HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 2.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
  #126
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,769
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
You don't seriously believe this do you ?

There is NO way in hell that Meehan devulges any info related to these negociations.

The only way he would get info would be through Subban himself or someone close to PK...and that ain't hapenning.
Of course he would...all this does (waiting until the last minute, not meeting with the Habs, going on the radio to say the two sides are "not close") is stir up the fanbase/media and exert more pressure on the Habs to rush a deal.

This isn't Meehan's first time at the dance. Whether it's true or not, he's saying and doing all the tricks in the book to get the Habs to cave to whatever number they're asking.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:37 PM
  #127
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
I hope you are right, everything points to them still being far apart.
That's just how negociations go. They are not under agreement on the term of the contract. Meehan is just putting pressure on the Habs brass.

Who do you guys think asked for this interview on HC ?

Yep, it is an agents plan to go public and try to get the habs moving on the numbers the player wants.

It's all a ploy.

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:39 PM
  #128
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Of course he would...all this does (waiting until the last minute, not meeting with the Habs, going on the radio to say the two sides are "not close") is stir up the fanbase/media and exert more pressure on the Habs to rush a deal.

This isn't Meehan's first time at the dance. Whether it's true or not, he's saying and doing all the tricks in the book to get the Habs to cave to whatever number they're asking.
Thats exactly my point, and the info he is going to give to Gangnon is the same he gives to jo blo on the corner of Bloor and Kingsway.

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
  #129
scramble91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
I hope you are right, everything points to them still being far apart.
Kings fan here.

Sorry to hear that you guys are in the same situation as we were. Hopefully this gets settled quickly As I think he is a very talented dman.

Just hope he steps in eventually, as meehan negotiates at the same pace as fehr.

scramble91 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
  #130
PyrettaBlaze
Registered User
 
PyrettaBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,870
vCash: 500
I'll be honest... I hope the Habs don't "cave" and give him what he wants. If the reports are true and he's seriously asking for $5M-$5.5M, then I think we should move on. Right now, he's not worth that kind of money.

__________________
...Unemployed Black Astronaut...
PyrettaBlaze is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
  #131
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,769
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Thats exactly my point, and the info he is going to give to Gangnon is the same he gives to jo blo on the corner of Bloor and Kingsway.
Ahh, gotcha.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
  #132
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,738
vCash: 500
No Subban would be glorious for the tank. A bad start to the season would also give Bergevin green light to deal veterans too.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
  #133
PyrettaBlaze
Registered User
 
PyrettaBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,870
vCash: 500
JohnLuTSNMtl:
#Habs Therrien says "It would be tough" to allow a player to play this Saturday if he had no training camp. Referring to Subban if he signs.

PyrettaBlaze is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:55 PM
  #134
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,563
vCash: 567
Who was the last player to miss a game/ a camp for contracts issue?

ClasslessGuy is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
  #135
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I'll be honest... I hope the Habs don't "cave" and give him what he wants. If the reports are true and he's seriously asking for $5M-$5.5M, then I think we should move on. Right now, he's not worth that kind of money.
IDK

PK longterm at 5 mil would be a bargain IMHO. Gorges is making almost 4 mil and doesn't have near the skill.

And his marketability goes without saying.

swimmer77 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
  #136
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I'll be honest... I hope the Habs don't "cave" and give him what he wants. If the reports are true and he's seriously asking for $5M-$5.5M, then I think we should move on. Right now, he's not worth that kind of money.
Subban is worth $5M especially if we are talking a 5 year contract. He's the only true first pairing defender on this team unless Markov turns back the clock.

The problem is he might be demanding far more than that.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:57 PM
  #137
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I'll be honest... I hope the Habs don't "cave" and give him what he wants. If the reports are true and he's seriously asking for $5M-$5.5M, then I think we should move on. Right now, he's not worth that kind of money.
Moving on makes no sense at all. Gorges signed for 4M, Markov earned 5.75 last year while doing nothing, and we don't know if he'll even be worth that cash. Prust was signed for 2.5M for 4 years. Cole is making 4.5M for two more years. Need I talk about how Kaberle and Bourque earned their pay day? Price didn't come for cheap at 6.5M for 6 years.
I know PK is a RFA, but he is more valuable than all of these guys. People go into this crazy way of thinking that just because he's a RFA, then he shouldn't get top dollars.
MaxPac and Eller are the only great deals on our team.

It seems everybody needs to get overpaid in order to play here, but now, when it comes time to sign our best player, people rather hold film and trade him?? How does this make any sense??
4.5M would be a really fair deal for PK. Only 250K more than Kaberle? Yet we're talking about the guy that was used as #1 versus #4 last year. 600K more than the guy that who can't contribute much of anything offensively, bringing in half the skills PK has?..Still making 1.25M less than a mid-30s player that hasn't played much in the last 3 years? 4.5M would be extremely fair for PK. So, like the rest of this team, overpay him by 1M if you have to. The only difference between him and the rest is that he'll likely end up earning every cent of his contract.

Trading PK wouldn't just be taking a step back or two, it would be jumping backwards. We move him and then we'll be crying over how much we need a guy like him, that can jump start the offense, have a great shot, be very physical, reliable in his zone with great skating, and that can play in all three situations well. A superstar potential D. It makes no sense to trade a 23yo potential superstar player. None, unless you're already stacked with them.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
  #138
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Moving on ??? Wow, some of you really worry me.

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
  #139
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Who was the last player to miss a game/ a camp for contracts issue?
Not sure about the Habs but last season Doughty held out for part of camp and Stamkos came very close to it.

And guess what those two and Subban have in common?

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:02 PM
  #140
PyrettaBlaze
Registered User
 
PyrettaBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Moving on ??? Wow, some of you really worry me.
I'm the only one who said that. You should address me personally instead of making a generalized comment like this.

Anyway, if he really does get signed for that amount, I truly hope he proves me wrong and fully lives up to his contract.

PyrettaBlaze is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
  #141
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,637
vCash: 500
what do the most credible rumours say that subban wants and mtl is offering?

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:10 PM
  #142
PyrettaBlaze
Registered User
 
PyrettaBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
what do the most credible rumours say that subban wants and mtl is offering?
He wants Doughty money and the Habs don't want to give him that.

PyrettaBlaze is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:15 PM
  #143
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,281
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I'll be honest... I hope the Habs don't "cave" and give him what he wants. If the reports are true and he's seriously asking for $5M-$5.5M, then I think we should move on. Right now, he's not worth that kind of money.
I was thinking of that earlier. If Bergevin caves in as a new GM, what does that say for future players on the team. Just hold out and eventually you get what you want. I'm with you, PK it's this or stay home for now!

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:16 PM
  #144
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,769
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
He wants Doughty money and the Habs don't want to give him that.
Or that he wants 6+ years and the Habs only want to give him 2.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
  #145
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I'll be honest... I hope the Habs don't "cave" and give him what he wants. If the reports are true and he's seriously asking for $5M-$5.5M, then I think we should move on. Right now, he's not worth that kind of money.
Say what?

What do you think he's worth exactly?

He's currently a legit N.1 defenseman, approaching the league wide top 15. He still has a lot of room to grow, too. In his prime, he'll be a defenseman able to deliver seasons above 40 points on a consistent basis, while playing a dominating physical game and an above average defensive play. Hell, Norris contention is not out of question when he is at his peak. If PK is looking at a longterm contract (5+ seasons) and he's asking you 5.5M, YOU GIVE HIM 5,5M! If Bergevin absolutely wants his bridge contract of 2 years, he's worth at least 4,5M.

Let's be reality here, Gorges got nearly 4M a year and we just signed a 4th liner to 2,5M for the next 4 years. How the hell do you expect Subban to just cave in and take a contract a la MDZ? He knows he's worth more than that and SHOULD get more than that. I'll repeat it, Subban is a star defenseman that has the upside to reach superstar status. There's no time arguing over half-millions and if PK wants absolutely no part of a bridge contract, just give him the longest possible term and give him his pay day.

The longer this drags out, the worse it will be for the team. Subban is becoming a distraction right now, while he should be on the ice with his teammates. We don't know for sure what's happening in the negotiations right now, but from what we've heard, the person I'd fault for what's happening is Bergevin.

Lebowski is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
  #146
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I was thinking of that earlier. If Bergevin caves in as a new GM, what does that say for future players on the team. Just hold out and eventually you get what you want. I'm with you, PK it's this or stay home for now!
Sure, if future players are as good as PK, has as much potential as PK, and delivered as much as PK, then yea, they can hold out if Bergevin wants to give him a short deal that isn't close to what they want.
People are talking as if PK is just some random casual player. The guy is a potential superstar. If Gally has a great rookie season, and follows it with good years again where his responsibilities just increase to the point where our offense is relying on him, but Bergevin wants to give his a 2year deal under what he's worth, then yea, he will hold out.
Staying home is just stupid, and horrible management. You have a star Dman, your #1 for the past year and a half, with the potential of reaching superstar, and you want to keep him at home...Awesome idea. I'm sure PK will just accept that too, not request a trade, and just come back next season agreeing to a small cheap deal. That makes sense

Kriss E is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
  #147
The Right Price
Registered User
 
The Right Price's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
4.8 M at 5 years years is a fair deal for both sides.

It guarantees PK some dough and takes him to UFA at still a youngish age (If I'm correct?) and then he can cash in if he really is in the top 10 D in the NHL.

The Right Price is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
  #148
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
4.8 M at 5 years years is a fair deal for both sides.

It guarantees PK some dough and takes him to UFA at still a youngish age (If I'm correct?) and then he can cash in if he really is in the top 10 D in the NHL.
Tyler Myers just signed a 5,5M contract, and you expect Subban to take 4,8m?

Nope. This is business. Subban, and especially Meehan, won't leave 4 millions on the table just for the sake of it.

Lebowski is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
  #149
PyrettaBlaze
Registered User
 
PyrettaBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Say what?

What do you think he's worth exactly?

He's currently a legit N.1 defenseman, approaching the league wide top 15. He still has a lot of room to grow, too. In his prime, he'll be a defenseman able to deliver seasons above 40 points on a consistent basis, while playing a dominating physical game and an above average defensive play. Hell, Norris contention is not out of question when he is at his peak. If PK is looking at a longterm contract (5+ seasons) and he's asking you 5.5M, YOU GIVE HIM 5,5M! If Bergevin absolutely wants his bridge contract of 2 years, he's worth at least 4,5M.

Let's be reality here, Gorges got nearly 4M a year and we just signed a 4th liner to 2,5M for the next 4 years. How the hell do you expect Subban to just cave in and take a contract a la MDZ? He knows he's worth more than that and SHOULD get more than that. I'll repeat it, Subban is a star defenseman that has the upside to reach superstar status. There's no time arguing over half-millions and if PK wants absolutely no part of a bridge contract, just give him the longest possible term and give him his pay day.

The longer this drags out, the worse it will be for the team. Subban is becoming a distraction right now, while he should be on the ice with his teammates. We don't know for sure what's happening in the negotiations right now, but from what we've heard, the person I'd fault for what's happening is Bergevin.
Your argument is all about potential and what type of player he might be in the future. If he was already "that" player then I wouldn't even question his demands. Problem is... he isn't "that" player yet. Yes, he's a great player and potentially, he might become an even greater player... But he's not there yet. That's why, imo, he should get a smaller contract now so we can evaluate him further and THEN, once he TRULY proves his potential, we can give him what he wants. Just like Price. Just like Pacioretty. He's no different.

PyrettaBlaze is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
  #150
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I'm the only one who said that. You should address me personally instead of making a generalized comment like this.

Anyway, if he really does get signed for that amount, I truly hope he proves me wrong and fully lives up to his contract.
Go back and read the WHOLE thread form post 1 instead of pretending to be the first. You aren't.

PK is worth 5.5 for 6 years. No questions asked.

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.