HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI takes Thomas Hickey

Old
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
xECK29x

vCash: 500
NICEEE!!!! Snow is the king of the waiver wire!

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Captain Saku

Not sure why Islanders fans are happy. The Hickey's pick was one of the stupidest picks I've seen in the past 5 years. It's low risk for the Isles but I really don't see him pulling a Grabner, it's not like he ever dominated the AHL.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:52 PM
sweranger

Imagine if he can do a Grabner and really get things going at the Coliseum. Best of luck to him.

sweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Definition of a bust pick, but maybe he can still make a career for himself yet.
Ah, yes, that 23 yr old who played a total of 26 games his first two years due to injury and surgery is completely a bust.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:54 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensAreReligion View Post
Same I wanted Ottawa to take a chance! Whatever hope he blooms in NYI I really like hickey
You guys realize that the isles are way ahead of the sens in the waiver order, right?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Ah, yes, that 23 yr old who played a total of 26 games his first two years due to injury and surgery is completely a bust.
Injuries haven't been the only reason he has played 26 games, he is also a bum.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Chardo

Garth continues to ensure the team sucks so he can maintain his high waiver standing and collect more junk, always hoping for another Grabner. Perpetual mediocrity. How about actually acquiring legit players of the caliber you hope these waiver guys become?

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Fat Elvis

Rooting for the guy. Hope this kicks starts his NHL career. Best of luck to him.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:02 PM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Garth continues to ensure the team sucks so he can maintain his high waiver standing and collect more junk, always hoping for another Grabner. Perpetual mediocrity. How about actually acquiring legit players of the caliber you hope these waiver guys become?
So you're hatin' because they might get another player like Grabner for free???

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Yog S'loth

Quote:
What are you talking about?

People keep perpetuating this myth that Hickey was injured for two years or some long period of time.

His first full-time pro season, he missed the bulk of the middle of the regular season, only playing 19 games. He was back before the playoffs, though. And that's the only significant injury time his entire career. He's been very durable before and after that one season. Injuries are no excuse whatsoever for his total lack of development.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=84695

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Injuries haven't been the only reasons he has played 26 games, he is also a bum.
clearly youre spewing nonsense. he played 7 games in 08-09, 19 in 09-10 then bascially full seasons the last two(77,76). So, im guessing he wasnt that much of a bum.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:06 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
people have a bad tendency to overreact, and they fail to wrap their head around how players are slotted. you see it all the time - 2nd line guy goes down, team recalls 3rd line guy to replace 3rd line guy on the big club who has been re-slotted into injured 2nd line guy's role... a large cow ensues because minor league 'highly touted' prospect who's leading the team in scoring wasn't called up instead.

when a guy like Mitchell goes down, they are most likely going to recall guys within that layer... and like you said, someone like Campbell would get the nod WELL ahead of Hickey - whether he's "ahead" of him on the depth chart or not.
People overreact on message boards all the time. This board is no different. Honestly before Campbell got hurt he was Manchester's best defenseman. That was my reasoning for saying what I said. I dont think Hickey is a bust. I just think hes developing slower then many people would of liked. People more important then anyone on this board in the Kings organization.
Has Hickey improved in the last couple of years? definitely. Main reason for that is hes finally stayed healthy. If he stays healthy there is no reason he cant turn into a good bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:07 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
He did and his name is Lubomir Visnovsky... Hickey (and Finley) are backup plans.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:09 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
We need defenseman and Hickey was one of, if not, the best option via waivers at least.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Watch, now NYI trades the rights to Vis to LA for a pick and Vis hops a plane ASAP.

Hickey is a great pickup for NYI. If he pans, he may be your next Streit...a talented PMD who is loyal to your organization.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
took420s

i watched him play a ton for the seattle t-birds...i wish LA could have found a place for him on the big team but i understand why it never happened.

i will def keep my eye on isle hockey now that he got picked up by them.

took420s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:13 PM
leeroggy

I for one think Lombardi deserves a lot of credit for doing this. He knew he had a lot of organizational depth and here is a high draft pick who just can't get a real chance of playing on the Kings at present. I think it is a class act for him to give Hickey a shot with another organization. Sometimes an athlete just gets caught in a logjam and can't get out of it.

Reminds me of when the Marlins picked up an Rule 5 career minor-leaguer named Dan Uggla. That one didn't turn out too badly either. Uggla was stuck in Double A in Arizona's system even though he put up pretty good numbers. In his first year with the Marlins he actually made the All Star Game.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:18 PM
FrozenJagrt

Not a huge fan of Hickey, but I wouldn't have minded the Leafs grabbing him for free. He was drafted fourth overall just five years ago and defensemen do take quite a while to develop, so he could turn into a pretty solid player. Or he could just be a bust, but for a waiver pickup it's really a no risk move for the Islanders.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
I for one think Lombardi deserves a lot of credit for doing this. He knew he had a lot of organizational depth and here is a high draft pick who just can't get a real chance of playing on the Kings at present. I think it is a class act for him to give Hickey a shot with another organization. Sometimes an athlete just gets caught in a logjam and can't get out of it.

Reminds me of when the Marlins picked up an Rule 5 career minor-leaguer named Dan Uggla. That one didn't turn out too badly either. Uggla was stuck in Double A in Arizona's system even though he put up pretty good numbers. In his first year with the Marlins he actually made the All Star Game.
I had no idea Uggla was a rule 5 pickup. Not bad for a silver slugger winner who went to the All Star game three times.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
binx bolling

Funny, Hickey is reminding me of DeHaan. A reach for his draft position and injuries caused him to slip on org depth chart.

Here's hoping the LAK waiver continue to be bear fruit for the Isles. Matt Moulson says hi.

binx bolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
What a ****ing idiot Lombardi is. The kid is the smartest defenseman in Manchester and has finally become a solid defensive defenseman who can still move the puck a little bit and he never gives him a shot. Such a ****ing joke. Why draft him that high if you're never gunna give him a shot?
LOL,

Only on HF can a GM who JUST won the Stanley Cup get called an idiot because he didnt give a prospect a "chance" at playing in the NHL.

Seriously LOL worthy post.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Quote:
clearly youre spewing nonsense. he played 7 games in 08-09, 19 in 09-10 then bascially full seasons the last two(77,76). So, im guessing he wasnt that much of a bum.
I was talking at the NHL level, where he is a bum. I assume you were talking about the NHL lol. He has yet to play a single game at the NHL, thats what makes him a bum. I find it funny that you think because he played 70 games at the AHL level 2 years that he some how isn't a bum because of that.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:25 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Not sure why Islanders fans are happy. The Hickey's pick was one of the stupidest picks I've seen in the past 5 years. It's low risk for the Isles but I really don't see him pulling a Grabner, it's not like he ever dominated the AHL.
He may not have dominated, but he was an All-Star in the AHL last year. Nobody expects him to dominate, the hope is that he can be solid in his own end and make a good first pass.

Quote:
He did, Visnovsky. Exactly who would you like him to get 4 days before the season? Not a lot of top-4 dmen available at this point in time. He can either overpay for a bottom pairing guy, or he can take a chance on getting a young player who could be a solid Islander for a few years.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
So you're hatin' because they might get another player like Grabner for free???
I'm hatin' cause it seems like it's all they do. One waiver claim or dull free agent after another. Since trading for Ryan Smyth (a one month rental), the Islanders have acquired precious few legit top-6/top-4 players. It's either draft picks (with very mixed success), or taking a flyer on a guy who might have upside. That's important, but how about also getting players already at that upside?

Old
01-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
He did, Visnovsky. Exactly who would you like him to get 4 days before the season? Not a lot of top-4 dmen available at this point in time. He can either overpay for a bottom pairing guy, or he can take a chance on getting a young player who could be a solid Islander for a few years.
Fair point, but I'm not complaining about this week's moves. What about the last 5 years?