HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Career-high of 55 points and he wants $5M a year. For a guy who has 107 points, total.
His save% as a goalie is not very good either and he never went to the dark side of the moon.

Drew Doughty's career high is 59 points and he gets 7 million.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
His save% as a goalie is not very good either and he never went to the dark side of the moon.

Precisely. Everyone seems to be forgetting O'Reilly led the team in scoring while also serving as one of our top PK forwards. Like Landeskog, scoring is not the lone metric by which we should be measuring him.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Mouse21*

Quote:

hilarious you think a defenseman getting 59 points is the same as a forward.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Yeah this is what worries me... No way Colorado pays that.
Because there's no way he's worth that. As much as we all love ROR, if that's his take it or leave it price, they'll leave it.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
hilarious you think a defenseman getting 59 points is the same as a forward.
Hilarious all of you are criticizing a defensive forward for not putting up more points.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:14 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
No hate for ROR from me, Nothing but love for TPS but damn I hope your wrong on this one. Freudian said it best the Bergeron contract should almost mirror what ROR should get since they are similiar players but Bergeron has a higher offensive output. So if Bergeron is getting $4.75mill per on a 5 year contract ROR can make a case for $4-4.5 per and that would be more then fair.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
This is a RFA negotiation and not an UFA negotiation.
The world is changing though. Restricted free agency eliminates competition between NHL franchises, but it cannot eliminate competition from outside of the NHL. Of course such competition didn't exist for a very long time, but with the emergence of the KHL you might have to get used to new parameters.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:18 PM
EdAVSfan

I think a 4M dollar multi year deal is absolutely fair. 5M a year?

Unfortunately, OReilly has not had a long enough career to justify that type of contract demand.

A lot of what goes into demands is what role a player will play in the foreseeable future. Again, unfortunately for OReilly, theres no way of knowing at this point if he has the offense to be a top 2 center. I do believe he can generate more offense, but he will require the ice time to do it. And with 3 legitimate centers, there isnt enough time to go around for all of them to have great numbers.

Either way, If im oreilly, I dont see why, if im being compared defensively to the likes of Datsyuk, why hed want to lock him a long term price when if he could take another step offensively, he would be entrenched as a top center in just a couple of years.

If anything, take a contract that takes you to the end of Stastny's deal, and justify that you are worth 5+ or even 6+ over the next 2 years.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:20 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
No hate for ROR from me, Nothing but love for TPS but damn I hope your wrong on this one. Freudian said it best the Bergeron contract should almost mirror what ROR should get since they are similiar players but Bergeron has a higher offensive output. So if Bergeron is getting $4.75mill per on a 5 year contract ROR can make a case for $4-4.5 per and that would be more then fair.
Yep, Said it before, 4.25M seems like a deal I'd see them make. Hopefully they get him signed soon. Pierre Lebrun didn't hint that a deal was far off in his article (About Duchene, which mentions ROR) http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...opes-for-hawks

Old
01-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Hilarious all of you are criticizing a defensive forward for not putting up more points.
I dont' think at any point in any thread anyone criticized O'Reilly for not scoring more.

Higher point totals just get you more money in the NHL, especially at 21. Thats just a fact. Doesn't mean he's not as important to a team as a higher scoring player.

If Kreci and Giroux signed three year deals at $3.75M coming off 73 and 76 point seasons at the same age, he has no basis to make comparisons for deserving more. Even if he finds an example of a similar defensive player making more money at his age, it's balanced out by their deals, and Duchene's deal on the same team.

I think a three year deal at or even a little more than Giroux's and Krejci's deal is the perfect compromise if they can't agree on a 5 year deal. It gets him out of the KHL deal, and gives him a little more than Duchene, without it being a slap in the face since it's a three year, and Duchene could be in a position to command $5+ if he has a couple good seasons.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 01-15-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 02:24 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Everybody loves what O'Reilly contributes with. Defensively and offensively. He just has not done it over several seasons yet, and aren't intitled to that kind of money. Yet.

I wish they could just sign a 2-year deal at $3.5-3.75M and re-open the big contract negotiations in 18 months.

Then we will see if O'Reilly can play at this level year in year out.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
For a guy asking for north of 4.5M, he probably should be doing more offensively...

Or at the very least have more then 1 productive season offensively.

I don't know why Oreilly wouldn't take Duchene's deal tbh. IF he truly believes he can be as good as Bergeron and be that star two way player, then take a 2 year deal and dominate the league for 2 years, then really cash in with a 5 or 6 year deal for north of 30M. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that he thinks he deserves 5M after 1 good year. Not how it works at all.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 50
Personally I don't think the team would regret signing O'Reilly to a $4m a year contract. If the Avs want to be more cost conscious, they could try to eat up 1 or 2 more UFA years and go for $24m/6 or $28m/7. This is probably the way to go since it also avoids having to deal with messy contract negotiations again. It's a little risky and maybe ends up overpaying O'Reilly a bit, but the Avs have enough cap room that it shouldn't matter, and the Avs without O'Reilly is a much worse team.

I don't see how you can go for a short-term contract anymore. You just run the risk of more contentious contract negotiations and/or arbitration, or you end up pissing off EJ/Duchene because O'Reilly is getting paid more than them on a similar length deal. If we can sign him for 5-7 years I can see both sides burying the hatchet and everything working out fine.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Just an example. When Ryan Kesler got his $5.0M he had TWO seasons over 50p, if his contract expires after the 08/09 season when he put up 59 points, there is no way he would have gotten 5M. Now it expired after 09/10 when Kesler had scored 25 goals and 50 assists. And he got "only" 5.0M after that.

O'Reilly is simply asking for too much, too soon.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
kapzk

No way shud the Avs offer above 4 mill for O'Reilly, he just has not shown much offensively on a consistent basis especially considering he only had 5 pts in the final 18 games when the team needed him for its playoff push. He's solid defensively but to demand that much after your rookie contract considering his production, I would move on from him and not mortgage the future by giving out a bad contract.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Nihiliste

If he's willing to sign for 4mil x 5 then they should do it.

However, if what TPS says is true, from my point of view this negotiation shows incredible arrogance from Ryan and his camp. Duchene's 2nd season was just as impressive as O'reilly was last year, and Stastny had shown a LOT more when he got his contract.

He's let his one good season go to his head.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 0
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

Hearing the #NHL #NHLPA have reached an agreement for compliance buyouts for cases like #Rangers Redden and #Canadiens Gomez.

Found a replacement. Five years $20M!

Old
01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
For a guy asking for north of 4.5M, he probably should be doing more offensively...

Or at the very least have more then 1 productive season offensively.

I don't know why Oreilly wouldn't take Duchene's deal tbh. IF he truly believes he can be as good as Bergeron and be that star two way player, then take a 2 year deal and dominate the league for 2 years, then really cash in with a 5 or 6 year deal for north of 30M. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that he thinks he deserves 5M after 1 good year. Not how it works at all.
Even Bergeron isn't a good comparison for him. When he signed his five year $4.75M deal at the same age, he was as good if not better defensively than O'Reilly, and coming off a 73 point season, and 14 points in 9 games in the WC.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Just an example. When Ryan Kesler got his $5.0M he had TWO seasons over 50p, if his contract expires after the 08/09 season when he put up 59 points, there is no way he would have gotten 5M. Now it expired after 09/10 when Kesler had scored 25 goals and 50 assists. And he got "only" 5.0M after that.

O'Reilly is simply asking for too much, too soon.
His progress is point directly upwards and it is not for one season only, I'm not sure for how long it went on in juniors, but at least from summer 2009 the only thing he has done has been exceeding the expectations. For example, when he was told to score some points, the result was doubling up Matt Duchene's scoring.

Ryan Kesler for example has never even been in top-2 in his team scoring.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Precisely. Everyone seems to be forgetting O'Reilly led the team in scoring while also serving as one of our top PK forwards. Like Landeskog, scoring is not the lone metric by which we should be measuring him.
This comment... 'O'Reilly led the team in scoring' always cracks me up. Rotfl

People do realize he led the team in scoring with 55 points NOT 75 POINTS right?

55 points is still second line center numbers REGARDLESS. OMFG gtfo 'He led the team in points' people.

Does anyone really believe with a healthy Duchene + better linemates and Stastny + better linemates, that O'Reilly has a snow balls chance in hell of being our leading offensive center again? EVEN IF HE DOES HIT 55 POINTS AGAIN?

Old
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
If Dater's article is right with the comparables his agent is using, he's way off base.

Firstly, Winnipeg overpaid for Kane, who is also a highly touted 4th overall pick, that has outscored O'Reilly each of the last two years. Winnipeg also has to overpay for players, because they have trouble bringing in UFA's like Edmonton does.

More importantly, the Krejci comparison is ridiculous. He's on his 3rd contract, and the one that should be a comparison if any was his second. Guess what his second contract was? Three years with a $3.75M cap hit. He also was coming off a 73 point season, and had two nearly PPG playoff runs under his belt.

As Dater mentioned, another comparison is Duchene, and even Giroux's contract. He was coming off his ELC in 2011, and a 76 point season, and he signed the very same three year $3.75M per deal that Krejci signed.

Offense pays in this league. Not character and two way play at his age. Some offensive players get paid long term on their second contracts, but two way guys almost always have to wait till they're UFA's, or upcoming UFA's. If players like Krejci and Giroux are coming off 73 and 76 point seasons at the same age, and signing at $3.75M, O'Reilly and his agent have no business trying to make favorable comparisons.
This is what I'm thinking as well. Krejci's second deal is what they should be comparing to, and $3.75m would be a very fair offer. The $17m over 5 years ($3.4m/year) offer is more than fair IMO, assuming it's true. Trying to compare to Datsyuk, Krejci's newest offer, Thornton, Bergeron, or whoever is just delusional.

Speaking of Bergeron's, his second contract, which was $4.75m, is one that I've been thinking about. If O'Reilly thinks he's comparable then he could easily point to that as his worth. The obvious rebuttle is Bergeron had (and still has) better production, but I could see it being discussed.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
His progress is point directly upwards and it is not for one season only, I'm not sure for how long it went on in juniors, but at least from summer 2009 the only thing he has done has been exceeding the expectations. For example, when he as told to score some points, the result was doubling up Matt Duchene's scoring.

Precisely.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
This comment... 'O'Reilly led the team in scoring' always cracks me up. Rotfl

People do realize he led the team in scoring with 55 points NOT 75 POINTS right?
Most in team is most in team. No matter how you want to twist it.

Quote:
Does anyone really believe ... that O'Reilly has a snow balls chance in hell of
That is exactly what Ryan O'Reilly is all about.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
This is what I'm thinking as well. Krejci's second deal is what they should be comparing to, and $3.75m would be a very fair offer. The $17m over 5 years ($3.4m/year) offer is more than fair IMO, assuming it's true. Trying to compare to Datsyuk, Krejci's newest offer, Thornton, Bergeron, or whoever is just delusional.

Speaking of Bergeron's, his second contract, which was $4.75m, is one that I've been thinking about. If O'Reilly thinks he's comparable then he could easily point to that as his worth. The obvious rebuttle is Bergeron had (and still has) better production, but I could see it being discussed.
I actually completely understand not taking the five year at $3.4M. He could be worth way more money than that after a year or two. The problem I have is not taking a short term deal in the summer and doing so. It's a perfectly reasonable alternative as a bridge deal that Dater alluded to teams doing all the time.

Now he can't take a two year deal, unless it's really pricey because it won't break the KHL deal. It F' d the whole thing up. A three year deal like Krejci and Giroux's in the only possible compromise at this point I think. It just depends on if O'Reilly and his agent will be reasonable enough to not take negotiations personally and accept it.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 264
Quote:
Gee. I wonder why that could be. Whatever the reason, there is no doubt that it is a great comparison to make. Like equating O'Reilly with Thornton or Datsyuk. No problems there!

Closed Thread