HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI takes Thomas Hickey

Old
01-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
nice move, so do they have room for him and that Finley waiver dude? Must be.
Isles had five dmen ready to go out if the lockout on Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald, Visnovsky and Carlner. Then they signed Martinek. I guess they felt Donovan and Ness needed more development and shouldnt be wasted in the press box so they picked up Finley and Hickey. Then you have to consider Lubo might not be here for the opener. Bodies were needed.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
FireEverybody*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
I'm hatin' cause it seems like it's all they do. One waiver claim or dull free agent after another. Since trading for Ryan Smyth (a one month rental), the Islanders have acquired precious few legit top-6/top-4 players. It's either draft picks (with very mixed success), or taking a flyer on a guy who might have upside. That's important, but how about also getting players already at that upside?
What exactly are you recommending they do?

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:50 PM
WarriorofTime

It's amazing LA was able to become a Cup champ while 100 % botching a 4th overall selection. 0 games. Wow.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:52 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
It's amazing LA was able to become a Cup champ while 100 % botching a 4th overall selection. 0 games. Wow.
Do you know anything of his situation?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:52 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
It easy when you hit home runs later in that draft.

Wayne Simmonds, Dwight King, A-Mart.

Three roster players, one of them helped land Mike Richards.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
What a ****ing idiot Lombardi is. The kid is the smartest defenseman in Manchester and has finally become a solid defensive defenseman who can still move the puck a little bit and he never gives him a shot. Such a ****ing joke. Why draft him that high if you're never gunna give him a shot?
Wow, it did not take long for the Stanley Cup aura to wear off. Good to have you back to your old self. lol.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Perro

I am only dissapointed we didn't at least trade him for a pick, or part of a different deal. I was pissed when he was taken ahead of alzner, however thought that now with injuries behind him he would be ready to take that next step. Funny the year after the kings took him we had both captains of the teams in the World Junior finals...Hickey and Moller. Neither panned out here.
Wish him best of luck with the Islanders.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Joe Finley dislikes this.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Personally feel that this is a solid move.

Find it hard to believe that Edmonton, and Columbus passed up on him. Especially columbus. I dont think that they are even dumb enough to think they wont be in the basement. Why not give this kid a shot? worst case scenario is that he helps you get Mackinnon.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:03 PM
shello
@WShello9

Wanted Tampa to take him but hey second favorite team got him so I'm good. Good move for the islanders.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Do you know anything of his situation?
I hope you're not going to blame injuries. When you're a 4th overall pick you shouldn't need AHL time to begin with. Hickey is an AHL vet at this point with 227 games under his belt. Missing 3/4 of one season doesn't explain 0 NHL games. Kid's a bust. Good Junior player. Reminded me a bit of Morgan Rielly now in the WHL. But he wasn't able to translate his game. That pick was awful from the moment it was made.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post

Find it hard to believe that Edmonton, and Columbus passed up on him. Especially columbus. I dont think that they are even dumb enough to think they wont be in the basement. Why not give this kid a shot? worst case scenario is that he helps you get Mackinnon.
24-man roster limit means he would need to be guaranteed a spot on the NHL roster among the top seven d-men (possibly resulting in exposing an existing player to waivers), otherwise he'd go back on waivers and I believe his old team would have first crack at him.

01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post

Columbus has a ton of young puck movers already.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:09 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
What exactly are you recommending they do?
Maybe he wants them to trade for a legit top 4 defenseman like at the draft. lol

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:10 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

nice pickup!

does he now have to play the WHOLE season on NYI, or can they waive him back to the A?

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:13 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
I hope you're not going to blame injuries. When you're a 4th overall pick you shouldn't need AHL time to begin with. Hickey is an AHL vet at this point with 227 games under his belt. Missing 3/4 of one season doesn't explain 0 NHL games. Kid's a bust. Good Junior player. Reminded me a bit of Morgan Rielly now in the WHL. But he wasn't able to translate his game. That pick was awful from the moment it was made.
It's not the first time LA has overseen a prospect bust.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:15 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
nice pickup!

does he now have to play the WHOLE season on NYI, or can they waive him back to the A?
They can put him through waivers and try to send him down to the A, but then LA can claim him back and send him down to their AHL team (unless another team puts in a claim to keep him in the NHL). So the chances of him being able to go to the A is very small. But the Isles can at any time waive him.

I expect Finley goes back on waivers, the Sabres claim him back, and send him to Rochester.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:16 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
As a Caps fan I remember the moment Hickey was drafted very vividly.

We were all expecting Lombardi to take Alzner which would leave Gagner for us to take. Just as Lombardi was about to pick, Pierre Mcguire chimed in about Lombardi being known for off the board picks. After Hickey was taken, Mcphee nearly ****ed up and took Gagner. He started "The Washington Capitals select from the London Knights..." then realized his mistake and took Alzner. Hilarious.

That draft worked out well for the Caps. Best of luck to Hickey.
Is there a video of that anywhere?

Back on topic, clearly Hickey was not going to get any ice-time in LA. This could be the best thing to ever happen to him.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
I was talking at the NHL level, where he is a bum. I assume you were talking about the NHL lol. He has yet to play a single game at the NHL, thats what makes him a bum. I find it funny that you think because he played 70 games at the AHL level 2 years that he some how isn't a bum because of that.
A bum is someone who, given the chance, still can't do anything at the NHL level. Hickey was always below the 7/8 NHL quality dmen that the Kings had (certainly the 3 puck-moving dmen) he never got the chance to show us what he can do at the NHL level.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Part of is had to do with injuries and part of it had to do with depth chart. When he was drafted noone expected the team to be as bad as they were leading to Doughty. And the last few years the Kings defense corps really hasnt seen too many injuries that would have necessitated a call up for a player of his style.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:18 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
A bum is someone who, given the chance, still can't do anything at the NHL level. Hickey was always below the 7/8 NHL quality dmen that the Kings had (certainly the 3 puck-moving dmen) he never got the chance to show us what he can do at the NHL level.
The fact that he never got an opportunity speaks volume to his ability. Everyone was passing him up the depth chart. Jack Johnson getting traded didn't even get him a call up even though that's the exact role he would have been gunning for.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:18 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's not the first time LA has overseen a prospect bust.
The same can be said for almost every team in the league.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Wow, it did not take long for the Stanley Cup aura to wear off. Good to have you back to your old self. lol.
Hah. I'm more than a bit frustrated. The kid was more than ready to prove he wasn't as big of a bust as everyone said, Mitchie is out with an injury, and it was a perfect time to give him his first real shot and he gets passed over for Bodnarchuk. Plus, as great as it was winning the cup, and it really was, I'll never be a Deano fan.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
The fact that he never got an opportunity speaks volume to his ability. Everyone was passing him up the depth chart. Jack Johnson getting traded didn't even get him a call up even though that's the exact role he would have been gunning for.
And who would he have replaced? The three guys already on the roster that are puck movers?

Old
01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
nice pickup!

You give him a look. If he sucks, you put him back on waivers.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote