HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Regular Season Discussion

Old
12-29-2012, 12:43 PM
WilcoxHound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Just learned that former Gatineau goalkeeper Francois Lacerte will join the Ottawa Gee Gees. Good thing for the Paiement squad is that Lacerte is in game shape.

Last night, he was named first star in the LNAH game he played, facing shots from former NHLers Denis Hamel and Steve Brulé among others.
UOttawa was desperate to recruit a mid season goalie after Russell Abbott advised the team last semester that he had been offered a management position with an international grainfood distributor in Saskatchewan. Part of the offer is a company paid Co-op education through the U of Regina. Abbott will be at Ottawa for the last half of the season but will not be returning.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:12 PM
STUTOMMIES

Just heard that Dalhousie has suspended its women's hockey team for the rest of the season after an investigation into a hazing incident.

Just saved the University a crap load of money by not having to travel all the way to Truro for games now that they don't have a rink.

Rumour has it that Dal. isn't that interesting in keeping their hockey programs True or not the hockey at Dal has really been taking a hit lately.

As bad as things have ever been at STU - the bright side is we aren't Dalhousie.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:31 PM
AUS Fan

The link:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...azing-incident

I would not be shocked if they did away with both programs in the near future. With the Men's hockey issue ( which the CIS has not published yet) and this current problem with the Women's team it makes it easy for the uni to dump hockey totally.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Bad News for the Dal-Hosers

Hazing sure went beyond what it was back in the day. Last year the Neepawa Natives (MJHL) came close to folding because of it.

Usually women's teams aren't so bad. I wonder what the heck happened at Dal.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
SnipeShow91

RMC Hockey Weekend Preview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxdG...ature=youtu.be

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:21 AM
timbitca

I dunno, but I have a feeling they are somewhat 'using' the hazing incident to do away with the team and the budget problems it was creating with the traveling for home games and such.

Not saying the hazing incident wasn't any serious, but not serious enough to suspend the whole team. I feel bad for the girls involved.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:35 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
I dunno, but I have a feeling they are somewhat 'using' the hazing incident to do away with the team and the budget problems it was creating with the traveling for home games and such.

Not saying the hazing incident wasn't any serious, but not serious enough to suspend the whole team. I feel bad for the girls involved.
My thoughts exactly. Consider me cynical in this matter.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:36 AM
AUS Fan

You know you've made the grade when your school gets mentioned on TSN. Short piece in the sports "loop" this morn on the Dal Woman's incident.

I am curious about the timing of this whole thing. The hazing occured in Sept and was reported mid October and it takes this much time to make a decision.

and.... an updated article on the subject:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...son-for-hazing

Last edited by AUS Fan: 01-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.
AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:10 AM
FreddtFoyle

There have been several comments on the Globe and Mail version of the story. But this thread got my attention:

jzone1

12:59 AM on January 4, 2013

My daughter played on that very same team a few years ago and it was BRUTAL! The coach had her 4 favourites and the rest of the team BEGGED for attention! After playing elite hockey in Ontario - 5 times a week on the ice she road the bench on the LAST PLACE team for an entire year...oh sorry...with the occasional YOU will be playing tonight to find out when she arrived at the arena she was NOT dressing! OH but it gets much better...the existing male coach was dating a player..hhhmmm odd...she was 18 he was 28 (separated from his wife)...NO ABUSE OF POWER THERE...and the previous coach KNEW about it and did NOTHING..Then the university sacked her and gave HIM the team! THANK GOD a parent had the courage to expose the abuse..wish I could meet them, throw my arms around them and thank them for their convictions!
4 replies
Report Abuse

Score: -2
ggrundler

7:24 AM on January 4, 2013

I played on the team a few years ago and had the exact same experience. The coach allowed so much drama on the team it was ridiculous and played favourites with the players from Nova Scotia. I never knew the male coach and the player were exposed...it was public knowledge that they were dating and widely accepted and encourage by the 'inner circle' on the team.
Report Abuse

Score: 2
llawbor

7:42 AM on January 4, 2013

It seems a change of importance to include the accusation that the coach was dating a player after complaining about your daughter not getting ice time.

Neither of those were included by the journalist who wrote the article.
Report Abuse

Score: 0
RotationViolation

8:20 AM on January 4, 2013

You thank 'god' when you should be thanking the parent...

Nice use of CAPS, would have never understood had you not...

ignore.
Report Abuse

Score: 1
3P

9:05 AM on January 4, 2013

Another story which never sees the light in the Canadian media is female coaches hitting on female players - even though those female student athletes don't want that attention. And then there is the unspoken understanding that if you 'don't play the game', then you are not going to 'get into the game'. And the Canadian media, by not covering this story, are running interference for those predators.

jzone1

9:09 AM on January 4, 2013

3P....you misunderstood...the female coach of the team turned a blind eye to the MALE coach who was dating the player on the team...

Old
01-04-2013, 11:25 AM
WilcoxHound

Is Dave Frost on the athletic dept at Dalhousie?

Old
01-04-2013, 08:04 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB with a huge 4-2 win over Acadia tonight at home. With the win UNB moves a point up on both Acadia and SMU for top spot in the AUS. UNB and Acadia do not play each other again in the regular season.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 01-04-2013 at 08:35 PM.
UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Rob

Looking at the OUA I see that Carleton is now in first place in the east (UQTR has a couple of games in hand.) Western is in first place in the west and probably to stay.
The Mustangs have a rookie Matt Clarke who is leading the entire OUA in scoring.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:44 PM
doogie24

Re: Clarke

No surprise there. Amazing skater, has the ability to blow by many guys in this league with ease. Could have been a serviceable pro player for a long time if he wanted to. Solid career in London with the Knights. Spent last season as an "unofficial" member of the team while waiting out the year between pro and CIS.

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
SnipeShow91

Here is Part 1 of "The Road To The Carr-Harris Cup" from RMCPaladinsTV. The Carr Harris Cup is a "trophy" game between Queen's and RMC played the first thursday of the first weekend of February (or in this case, January 31st). Its the oldest hockey rivalry in North America dating back to 1886, one of the first recorded games in North America. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT0egcEjU8Y

Old
01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
rantfather

Dal VERY slow.to do the right thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
Is Dave Frost on the athletic dept at Dalhousie?

Dalhousie seems to be uncovering many demons requiring exorcism but responds in less than appropriate timing and without appropriate clarifications leaving the accused to be skewered in the court of public opinion.

VERY,VERY,improper.behavior.......never mind the.excuses as to where the intended formation needs to come from...Dal has authored the reports and I.guess that the CIS needs to publish their decision.

WHERE IS IT!!!!:help

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:49 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

the dal gazette contains an account of what happened as described by one of the non-rookie players.

http://dalgazette.com/sports/dal-hoc...azing-penalty/

Quote:
According to the player, first-year team members were told to dress in blazers, Dal-themed boxers and had their hair slicked back with Vaseline. Throughout the night, the team played drinking games. The rookies were asked to answer such questions as: Who is the prettiest girl on the team and why?

“If you’d shown up and not known it was a group of athletes, it could have been any other university party I’ve been to,” she said.

“There was nothing malicious and definitely no attempt to make anyone uncomfortable. It was like any other night where some of the team went downtown afterwards.
The university has not disclosed what their investigation revealed about the party, but Dal spokesperson Charles Crosby said on Friday the hazing ritual was a severe case where first-year players were hazed. It involved “drinking, humiliation, intimidation, personal disrespect—it was bullying,” he said.

But the team member disagrees with the university’s assessment. “We would never try and make a player feel less just for a laugh—we’re a family, where we tell each other everything. That’s what makes this situation so hard.”

The player said no one was forced to drink and that teammates were offered a place to stay if they needed somewhere to sleep.
i don't believe this for a second. if this is all it was then i dont' think the entire team would have been suspend.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
FreddtFoyle

Piling on

CTV News in Halifax tonight reported on the Dal men's hockey team troubles with the CIS. Reviewed what's already been in the Herald, etc. (hyped as breaking news) but added that two "sources" tell them it has to do with promising or paying players more than their allowable AFA. That bit is new reporting.

If true, it matches pretty much what most of us have suspected.

P.S. The Dal spokesman made it sound like they are awaiting what the CIS will say and have no idea what will happen.

UPDATE: As STUTommies pointed out on Twitter, CTV News has now posted their story online: http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/dalhousie...ment-1.1105850

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 01-09-2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Update
Old
01-08-2013, 06:03 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Would probably explain why they seemed to have a pile of new recruits every year under Belliveau.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:37 PM
SnipeShow91

Part 2 of "The Road To The Carr-Harris Cup" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JpF5...ature=youtu.be

Old
01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
blackmarketmob

Highlights of Laurier vs Waterloo from the first game of the year. It has an interview with Laurier's latest recruit, Derek Schoenmakers. While he has pointless, he added 2 goals and an assist in the subsequent win against Brock. Unfortunately, a day after this article http://www.waterloochronicle.ca/spor...on-cis-hockey/ stating his focus was on CIS hockey, Schoenmakers was traded to his hometown Kitchener Rangers where he reported.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
SnipeShow91

Part 3 of "The Road To The Carr-Harris Cup" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-GG...ature=youtu.be

Old
01-15-2013, 12:23 PM
WilcoxHound

GeeGees need a kick in the nuts

Quotes from Ottawa coach Real Paiment following his teams 9-4 blowout of Ryerson in which the GeeGees failed to show for the 3rd period:

". . . there is no excuse except the lack of desire to play defensively."

"We have to take pride in being a plus player on the ice and shutting down the offensive chances for the other team."

"Defensively, it hasn't been a good season for us, . . . we have to take more pride in our defensive play . ."

I may not be wrong in comparing this year's GeeGee team to an intramural team where the only thing that matters is padding your goal and assist stats at the expense of team victories, although that may not be fair to some intramural teams. If minuses were awarded for shorthanded goals given up on the powerplay there a few GeeGee players who would be deep in the minus hole. These are the same players who run to the referee to lobby for assists after a goal.

On paper this team should be a top ten but based on team commitment to winning they are a bottom ten. Too many players whose best efforts are spent partying or skipping practices when the girlfriend isn't in class. Too many me-first personalities.

Unfortunately in CIS you can't trade your problems to other teams and coaches get stuck with players recruited by other coaches who whine about ice time and say things like "I only came here because I was promised I would be on the PP & PK".

This years GeeGees team is a disappointment and players have said they won't be playing at UO next season because of the lack of commitment and heart from the prima donnas. Maybe it's time to use one of the few tools available to resurrect some discipline and take away ice time from those who repeatedly ignore their assignments within the team's system.

If that doesn't happen then all that will be left at UO by the end of the season will be an intramural team with an expense account.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Quotes from Ottawa coach Real Paiment following his teams 9-4 blowout of Ryerson in which the GeeGees failed to show for the 3rd period:

"We have to take pride in being a plus player on the ice and shutting down the offensive chances for the other team."

"Defensively, it hasn't been a good season for us, . . . we have to take more pride in our defensive play . ."

I may not be wrong in comparing this year's GeeGee team to an intramural team where the only thing that matters is padding your goal and assist stats at the expense of team victories, although that may not be fair to some intramural teams. If minuses were awarded for shorthanded goals given up on the powerplay there a few GeeGee players who would be deep in the minus hole. These are the same players who run to the referee to lobby for assists after a goal.

On paper this team should be a top ten but based on team commitment to winning they are a bottom ten. Too many players whose best efforts are spent partying or skipping practices when the girlfriend isn't in class. Too many me-first personalities.

Unfortunately in CIS you can't trade your problems to other teams and coaches get stuck with players recruited by other coaches who whine about ice time and say things like "I only came here because I was promised I would be on the PP & PK".

This years GeeGees team is a disappointment and players have said they won't be playing at UO next season because of the lack of commitment and heart from the prima donnas. Maybe it's time to use one of the few tools available to resurrect some discipline and take away ice time from those who repeatedly ignore their assignments within the team's system.

If that doesn't happen then all that will be left at UO by the end of the season will be an intramural team with an expense account.
Geez, they were up 9-1, who cares?

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:22 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:

Because +/- is important stat in the standings. Only reason why Concordia didnt make the playoffs last season over Queen's and in a tight OUA East, every stat is important. Obviously being up 9-1 could lead to lack of defense, and I think Paiemant is right with his quotes.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:46 PM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Geez, they were up 9-1, who cares?
Hollywood: if this was an isolated incident your statement would be valid but coach Paiment has had to endure this disrespect for the game for almost 2 seasons now and spoke out after Sunday's effort. If you check the season stats you will see that Ottawa has given up more goals to shorthanded teams than any other team in the CIS, a stat that is not lost on team's viewing pregame videos prior to formulating their game plans against the GeeGees.