HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 11:38 AM
  #501
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,781
vCash: 500
Sorry if already posted. Just saw that Joe Finley was claimed by NYI off waivers from BUF. Didn't know he was still kickin' around.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:10 AM
  #502
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,928
vCash: 500
Looking over the Capitals' schedule, I'm reminded of just how much I hate this piece of **** division. Realignment can't come quickly enough, whatever the result. It can't be worse.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:41 AM
  #503
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Looking over the Capitals' schedule, I'm reminded of just how much I hate this piece of **** division. Realignment can't come quickly enough, whatever the result. It can't be worse.
Other than Winnipeg, why?

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
  #504
Stewie G
Because Hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,412
vCash: 500
Hickey waived by LA yesterday and claimed by the Islanders today. Thank goodness Lombardi took him over Alzner. I shudder at the prospect of not having Alzner on the team.

Stewie G is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:49 PM
  #505
malyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The City by the Bay
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Other than Winnipeg, why?
My guess is that it's because the caps don't get to play their historic rivals as much.

PITT
PHI
NJD
NYR
WAS

is a much more interesting division, especially from a historical perspective, than:

WAS
CAR
TBL
FLP
ATL/WPG

There's just nothing really interesting about the teams in the southeast for people who grew up watching the caps of the 80s/90s. I can maybe see a CAR rivalry brewing, but it's not the same as the games against PHI back in the day.

malyk is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
  #506
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Hickey waived by LA yesterday and claimed by the Islanders today. Thank goodness Lombardi took him over Alzner. I shudder at the prospect of not having Alzner on the team.
cam barker signed a one year fehr like contract. thank god the caps won the lottery that year

txpd is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
  #507
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,922
vCash: 500
Chicago won the cup

LA won the cup

Everyone saying "thank god" needs to consider causality rather than simple player to player comparisons.

Perhaps we bomb horribly with Barker but then tank exceptionally well for the next 4 years and come out looking as good as both of those teams.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
  #508
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 11,779
vCash: 500
For the draftniks, would we have taken Hickey if LA took Alzner?

Capitlols is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:27 PM
  #509
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Looking over the Capitals' schedule, I'm reminded of just how much I hate this piece of **** division. Realignment can't come quickly enough, whatever the result. It can't be worse.
I'm with you man....horrible schedule, horrible teams to have to play repeatedly.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:27 PM
  #510
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
For the draftniks, would we have taken Hickey if LA took Alzner?
Doubtful...Hickey was way off the boards...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
  #511
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
For the draftniks, would we have taken Hickey if LA took Alzner?
Gagner almost certainly... GMGM almost drafted him by accident, which tells me he was ready to pick him if LA had picked Alzner as most expected they might.

Hickey was a mid-1st in most estimations, IINM.

brs03 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
  #512
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
For the draftniks, would we have taken Hickey if LA took Alzner?
Gagner. GM even said "from the London Knights" before correcting himself and getting Alzner. Hickey was so far off the map it didn't even fully register with McPhee until he was making the next pick.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:35 PM
  #513
Stewie G
Because Hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Chicago won the cup

LA won the cup

Everyone saying "thank god" needs to consider causality rather than simple player to player comparisons.

Perhaps we bomb horribly with Barker but then tank exceptionally well for the next 4 years and come out looking as good as both of those teams.
Yes. Two teams botched top 4 picks. They ended up winning the Cup. Hence, the Caps should have drafted Derick Brassard in '06, the same stuff that happened to the Kings and Blackhawks would have happened to the Caps, and they would have won the Cup instead of the Bruins two years ago.

Stupid McPhee.

Stewie G is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:35 PM
  #514
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Looking over the Capitals' schedule, I'm reminded of just how much I hate this piece of **** division. Realignment can't come quickly enough, whatever the result. It can't be worse.
Is realignment still even expected? I hadn't heard about it at all.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
  #515
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Is realignment still even expected? I hadn't heard about it at all.
They were going to address is after the CBA. One proposal I heard had a CBJ-WPG simple swap for the first year then more serious slicing and dicing coming later, but I don't think there was ever much to it...

brs03 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:39 PM
  #516
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Yes. Two teams botched top 4 picks. They ended up winning the Cup. Hence, the Caps should have drafted Derick Brassard in '06, the same stuff that happened to the Kings and Blackhawks would have happened to the Caps, and they would have won the Cup instead of the Bruins two years ago.

Stupid McPhee.
Brassard in 06. He doesn't get his shoulder ruined by Neal and actually develops into a great 2C.
Alzner and Pacioretty in 07
Stamkos and Carlson in 08
Kulikov and Orlov in 09
Tarasenko in 10

Plus at least ONE ******* signing of a core piece (like Hossa) or trade for an established core piece (like Richards or Carter)

Dunno, stranger things have happened. Perhaps not with McPhee at the helm but still.


Last edited by Halpysback: 01-15-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Halpysback is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM
  #517
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 16,320
vCash: 500
Winnipeg can't possibly stay in the southeast long term...right?

BrooklynCapsFan is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:44 PM
  #518
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,245
vCash: 500
I think its stupid realignment is something the NHLPA has business getting involved in.

#shutupandplay

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
  #519
Stewie G
Because Hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Brassard in 06. He doesn't get his shoulder ruined by Neal and actually develops into a great 2C.
Alzner and Pacioretty in 07
Stamkos and Carlson in 08
Kulikov and Orlov in 09
Tarasenko in 10

Dunno, stranger things have happened. Perhaps not with McPhee at the helm but still.
You're looking at infinite possibilities. The best you can realistically do is compare players. Trying to apply causality to something like the draft is a fool's errand in my book.

Stewie G is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
  #520
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
You're looking at infinite possibilities. The best you can realistically do is compare players. Trying to apply causality to something like the draft is a fool's errand in my book.
Disregarding it isn't any better. 7 teams have shown that they can win without the players we have since we started the rebuild. We have yet to show that Backstrom and Ovechkin are worth a conference final. I by no means am faulting McPhee for drafting great players but if this is what we're reduced to feeling good about there's a problem.

I guess you can say thank god we got the players we did, but for each move like that there's an Eberle or Getzlaf that was right in our lap and we passed up on, or a Kopitar or Giroux that was a 3rd round tradeup away.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 03:04 PM
  #521
Stewie G
Because Hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Disregarding it isn't any better. 7 teams have shown that they can win without the players we have since we started the rebuild. We have yet to show that Backstrom and Ovechkin are worth a conference final. I by no means am faulting McPhee for drafting great players but if this is what we're reduced to feeling good about there's a problem.

I guess you can say thank god we got the players we did, but for each move like that there's an Eberle or Getzlaf that was right in our lap and we passed up on, or a Kopitar or Giroux that was a 3rd round tradeup away.
If you can't establish any sort of relationship, disregarding it is exactly what you should do.

And 22 teams have shown they can't win with the players they drafted either. I'm not sure what you're driving at.

Stewie G is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 03:19 PM
  #522
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,245
vCash: 500
For anyone that gets Fox Sports Detroit, at 6 there is scrimmage between the Red Wings and the Griffins.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 07:43 PM
  #523
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke
 
QuadrupleDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,658
vCash: 500
Bruins getting crushed by their AHL team. It's 5-2, and both Lucic and Rask have looked terrible. Lucic looks about 2 gears slower than his normal slow self.

The fact that they're playing this game in front of a sold-out Garden makes it even more embarrassing. Their GDT is not a happy place right now

The Bruins site has a stream of the game, but it's gotten pretty slow and choppy.

QuadrupleDeke is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 07:48 PM
  #524
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,245
vCash: 500
Now its 5-5.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:01 PM
  #525
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke
 
QuadrupleDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,658
vCash: 500
7-5 Providence Bruins over Boston Bruins. Final.

Providence has the 15th most points in the AHL.

QuadrupleDeke is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.