HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Laughton impressing at camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
  #26
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Good points above about the kid. It's probably just a 5 game or less look see while Briere is out. No reason to keep him up for the season, we don't need his depth just yet.

But...

Would anyone trade him in a package for Yandle, or OEL? I'm sure most would; how about Laughton, Gus and a 1st for Yandle, 3rd? Any chance? (I'm not usually good with trade proposals)
Can't see any way PHX takes that. Gustafsson would be way, way down in their defensive prospect pool.

If the Coyotes deal Yandle, it will be for a similarly aged NHL forward, I think. Yandle for Krejci or something like that.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:05 PM
  #27
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Funny how Shelley is always a footnote...
"A scar on beautiful landscape."

Some poet probably penned that about something once.

At least he's good in the locker room apparently.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:23 PM
  #28
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Can't see any way PHX takes that. Gustafsson would be way, way down in their defensive prospect pool.

If the Coyotes deal Yandle, it will be for a similarly aged NHL forward, I think. Yandle for Krejci or something like that.
Wow, ok. I'm with ya on Gus, couldnt think of a worthy forward on the roster that I would part with. I'm not aware of Phoenix cap situation, but would they take back similar salary?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:27 PM
  #29
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
EV
Hartnell - Giroux - BSchenn
Simmonds - Briere - Read
Talbot - Couturier - Voracek
Fedotenko - Laughton - Wellwood
Shelley

.
Can't Talbot play center? I'd rather see Rinaldo or Sestito up on 4th line wing then ruin Laughton. If he can prove in 5 games he can play, thats great though, a deep line up.

I don't like seeing Voracek on the 3rd line, but if he and Couturier can find some chemistry, thats a very offensively capable 3rd line, with solid defensive awareness.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
  #30
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Can't Talbot play center? I'd rather see Rinaldo or Sestito up on 4th line wing then ruin Laughton. If he can prove in 5 games he can play, thats great though, a deep line up.

I don't like seeing Voracek on the 3rd line, but if he and Couturier can find some chemistry, thats a very offensively capable 3rd line, with solid defensive awareness.
I based the top three lines on what they've been running in training camp. Obviously I had to add Briere.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
  #31
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think Laughton is making this team as our fourth line center. Blame Holmstrom's injury if you must, but the organization sees Talbot as a third line winger. We don't have any other fourth line center outside of Laughton that fits the bill.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:42 PM
  #32
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,168
vCash: 500
Laughton has been impressing all years. Anyone who's watched the Gens this year knows he's going to be a good NHL player. He's very much relied on in Oshawa, along with Jenner and Biggs, to put up points and play a physical two-way game. I think he's going to be a Mike Richards type player, honestly.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
  #33
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
As a defensive player, how's his skating? I mean for his age and experience

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
  #34
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
If he can be as responsible as couts was last year, that'd be great. Although you'd hate to burn a year of his development on a shortened season.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:19 PM
  #35
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
As a defensive player, how's his skating? I mean for his age and experience
Laughton's a fantastic skater. He's got speed to burn and he's really strong on his feet. Great lower leg strength and has a good stride. Probably one of the top five skaters in throughout the franchise.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
  #36
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think Laughton is making this team as our fourth line center. Blame Holmstrom's injury if you must, but the organization sees Talbot as a third line winger. We don't have any other fourth line center outside of Laughton that fits the bill.
Not really, they just see him a versatile player who can move up if need be (ie when Briere is injured)

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
  #37
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,339
vCash: 500
I expect that Laughton has looked great because he has had more than half a junior season already, while most of the Flyers lack game fitness due to the lockout.

The Briere injury doesn't appear to be as bad as originally believed, so it seems likely that Laughon gets his 5 game stint and is returned to the OHL for the remainder of the season.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:24 PM
  #38
CootaRoo
Registered User
 
CootaRoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
I love seeing a young kid come in and produce as much as the next guy (even if it would only be for 8 minutes a night on the 4th line), but wouldn't it be considerably smarter from a cap stand point to not waste a year of his ELC on a shortened season if you didn't have to?

I say 5-game tryout to get Briere healthy and then back to the CHL no matter what (barring unforeseen further injury to the forward depth).

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
  #39
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I expect that Laughton has looked great because he has had more than half a junior season already, while most of the Flyers lack game fitness due to the lockout.

The Briere injury doesn't appear to be as bad as originally believed, so it seems likely that Laughon gets his 5 game stint and is returned to the OHL for the remainder of the season.
You do realize that most of the players were either in Europe playing and at least five were in the AHL. If Scott makes the team it will be because he has earned it not because he is the only one in game shape

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
  #40
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
When you consider the guy he's got to beat out for the 12th spot is Zac Rinaldo, it certainly puts his chances of making the team in a new light.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
  #41
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
I have to keep reminding myself that Laughton has an extra half a years experience in Juniors over what he would have had at training camp if it were a normal year. These last few months count for a lot.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
  #42
CootaRoo
Registered User
 
CootaRoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
When you consider the guy he's got to beat out for the 12th spot is Zac Rinaldo, it certainly puts his chances of making the team in a new light.
Lavi has Rinaldo penciled in as the 11th forward. Laughton is "competing" against Wellwood/Sestito and Shelley, but really he is mostly there because Briere is banged up.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:42 PM
  #43
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Lavi has Rinaldo penciled in as the 11th forward. Laughton is "competing" against Wellwood/Sestito and Shelley, but really he is mostly there because Briere is banged up.
1. Hartnell - 2. Giroux - 3. BSchenn
4. Simmonds - 5. Briere - 6. Read
7. Talbot - 8. Couturier - 9. Voracek
10. Fedotenko - 11. - 12.
13. Shelley

I see only 11 people guaranteed to make the opening roster out of 13 forward positions open. Rinaldo is not on that list.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:06 PM
  #44
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
You do realize that most of the players were either in Europe playing and at least five were in the AHL. If Scott makes the team it will be because he has earned it not because he is the only one in game shape
Anyone who makes an NHL roster has earned it; I didn't say otherwise.

The European game is a bit different and I would expect anyone playng in North America to have a game shape advantage off the hop, including those guys who dressed for the Phantoms (Couturier, Schenn, Wellwood, Rinaldo).

My point was to not read too much into an impressive start to a training camp. Laughton's a centre, so he's really competing for the 4th line spot. If Briere wasn't hurt, I don't even think he would get a shot at NHL games this year, but the Flyers may give him a chance, maybe even a top 9 chance, until Briere is back... hence the 5 game try-out before being returned to Oshawa.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:41 PM
  #45
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,474
vCash: 500
Laughton is going to force Briere to begin his career as a winger

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:50 PM
  #46
mikedeej97
Registered User
 
mikedeej97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Haddon Heights, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
As the case with Couturier last year, they will not be afraid to hand this kid a roster spot if they determine that he can help them win games. I remember the chatter last year, saying Couturier should be sent back to the Q because they didnt want to burn a year. How'd that work out? Who cares if they burn a year, he'll have to be re-signed at some point anyway. Holmgren/Laviolette wouldnt be doing their job if they didnt field the best team possible, regardless of entry level contracts.

mikedeej97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:16 PM
  #47
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Lavi has Rinaldo penciled in as the 11th forward. Laughton is "competing" against Wellwood/Sestito and Shelley, but really he is mostly there because Briere is banged up.
This idea makes me want to cry. Wellwood is so much better than Rinaldo.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:58 PM
  #48
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
1. Hartnell - 2. Giroux - 3. BSchenn
4. Simmonds - 5. Briere - 6. Read
7. Talbot - 8. Couturier - 9. Voracek
10. Fedotenko - 11. - 12.
13. Shelley

I see only 11 people guaranteed to make the opening roster out of 13 forward positions open. Rinaldo is not on that list.
Laviolette loves Rinaldo, he's in. Also, Rusty spent the KHL time playing C, why can't he centre the checking line? Wellwood has to beat out Sestito to stay on the roster. I don't see Laughton making the team, but if he earns a spot, they may give him a couple games before Briere comes back.

11.Rinaldo - 10.Fedotenko - 12. Wellwood/Sestito
13. Shelley

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:22 PM
  #49
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Laviolette loves Rinaldo, he's in. Also, Rusty spent the KHL time playing C, why can't he centre the checking line? Wellwood has to beat out Sestito to stay on the roster. I don't see Laughton making the team, but if he earns a spot, they may give him a couple games before Briere comes back.

11.Rinaldo - 10.Fedotenko - 12. Wellwood/Sestito
13. Shelley
Every impression I got was that Lavi loves Wellwood. Yes, they all love Rinaldo, but Wellwood fits into the system better.

Seeing as how the Penguins are test number one though, Rinaldo may get the nod for obvious reasons.

That said, I've seen no evidence to suggest that the organization likes Fedotenko or Talbot as the fourth line center long-term.

Until you offer me some evidence of that, you can't argue that Laughton has no role on this team. Rinaldo and Wellwood certainly aren't playing fourth line center. Sestito or Shelley? Clearly not. Holmstrom is hurt. Read could in theory, but he's being used as a top 9 winger.

The organization has no current fourth line center other than Laughton. They have other players that COULD play the position, but the team has yet show any signs of being willing to commit to those players in that role.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:28 AM
  #50
CootaRoo
Registered User
 
CootaRoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
1. Hartnell - 2. Giroux - 3. BSchenn
4. Simmonds - 5. Briere - 6. Read
7. Talbot - 8. Couturier - 9. Voracek
10. Fedotenko - 11. - 12.
13. Shelley

I see only 11 people guaranteed to make the opening roster out of 13 forward positions open. Rinaldo is not on that list.
Oh, wow, I'm glad you cleared up that confusion... I was basing my post on how Lavi handled his roster down the stretch and into the playoffs last season on top of what occurred in the AHL during the lockout with the players down there, but you have shown me the light with baseless opinion... how misguided of me.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.