Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Frédérik Gauthier.

Holy Bajeezus, I want this kid on the Jets. He's rated in the 2nd half of the draft too. Smart player, I think he has underrated upside offensively. Already big and already has a good defensive game. I like the way he chooses to attack opposing players.

Was just watching some recorded games and am I ever hoping we could break the non-QMJHL streak for this kid.
You mean the 2nd half of the 1st round, right?

Old
01-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
You mean the 2nd half of the 1st round, right?
Yes, lol.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Sweech
COYS!

I was just taking a look at draft history and noticed we haven't taken anyone from the QMJHL for 5 years.

The last one was Danick Paquette in 2008.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:50 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
I was just taking a look at draft history and noticed we haven't taken anyone from the QMJHL for 5 years.

The last one was Danick Paquette in 2008.
Who, if i remember correctly, was shipped off in the Fehr trade...

Old
01-15-2013, 02:26 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Who, if i remember correctly, was shipped off in the Fehr trade...
Correcto.

He wasn't a significant asset in anyway. Minor league fighter is all.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:53 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Just in case any of you missed it Chevy was interviewed on the Rona round table yesterday I hope this is the link. for those who have concerns over our drafting pattern Especially in the Q since he became GM it is worth a listen.

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...id=14933&id=24

I haven't vetted it yet to find out when Chevy starts talking but when they asked him about what they did during the lock out he did discuss scouting and mentioned coach Vincent spent time in Quebec and Chevy acknowledged that this years draft crop out of the Q is very good.

If anyone does listen could they please mention the time in the podcast that the interview starts (thx).

Old
01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Just in case any of you missed it Chevy was interviewed on the Rona round table yesterday I hope this is the link. for those who have concerns over our drafting pattern Especially in the Q since he became GM it is worth a listen.

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...id=14933&id=24

I haven't vetted it yet to find out when Chevy starts talking but when they asked him about what they did during the lock out he did discuss scouting and mentioned coach Vincent spent time in Quebec and Chevy acknowledged that this years draft crop out of the Q is very good.

If anyone does listen could they please mention the time in the podcast that the interview starts (thx).
Thanks for the heads up!

Interview actually happens during the second hour of the shows. So make sure to pick Hour 2, then the interview starts around the 11:10 point.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

With the CSS midterm rankings up, I figured it'd be fun to project who the Jets would take if they finished around 15th overall.

15th: Darnell Nurse (currently ranked 9th among NA skaters)
45th: Curtis Lazar (currently ranked 26th among NA skaters)
75th: Miro Aaltonen (currently ranked 22nd among EU skaters)
105th: Jordan Subban (currently ranked 81st among NA skaters)
135th: Jake Patterson (currently ranked 16th among NA goalies)
165th: Sergey Tolchinsky (currently ranked 149th among NA skaters)
195th: Alex Forsberg (currently not ranked)

I'm pretty sure most of those players (especially Nurse, Lazar, Aaltonen and Subban) will move up the rankings over the course of the year, but that's who I would take if the draft was today.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Depending on who we pass up I would be quite mad if we took Nurse at 15.

He's shooting up some rankings and I don't get it.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Depending on who we pass up I would be quite mad if we took Nurse at 15.

He's shooting up some rankings and I don't get it.
Massive frame, hard shot, fights like he's in beast mode are some of the qualifiers on his caliber of play I have read on the Prospects board. Also, he's nephew or 2nd cousin of Donovan McNabb so the bloodlines adds some interest I suppose. I think it's realistic that Nurse goes in the top 15 if not 10. He appears to be a more offensively-capable version of Griffin Reinhart. Maybe even more aggresssive too based on his PIMs.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Massive frame, hard shot, fights like he's in beast mode are some of the qualifiers on his caliber of play I have read on the Prospects board. Also, he's nephew or 2nd cousin of Donovan McNabb so the bloodlines adds some interest I suppose. I think it's realistic that Nurse goes in the top 15 if not 10. He appears to be a more offensively-capable version of Griffin Reinhart. Maybe even more aggresssive too based on his PIMs.
Technically nephew in law to DM (his Aunt married DM if I recall correctly). He does have an athletic pedigree no doubt through his parents regardless, but I don't see the upside. I don't think his offensive skills are as good as everyone thinks they are. I like the aggressive play, but I think that can also get overvalued.

I see him having a decently high floor, but I also see his ceiling as low. I don't think he ever becomes a top pairing defensemen. I see him topping out as a #4.

Just my opinion of course, but strictly on defensemen I would go bonkers if we passed on Pulock or Zadorov for him.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Technically nephew in law to DM (his Aunt married DM if I recall correctly). He does have an athletic pedigree no doubt through his parents regardless, but I don't see the upside. I don't think his offensive skills are as good as everyone thinks they are. I like the aggressive play, but I think that can also get overvalued.

I see him having a decently high floor, but I also see his ceiling as low. I don't think he ever becomes a top pairing defensemen. I see him topping out as a #4.

Just my opinion of course, but strictly on defensemen I would go bonkers if we passed on Pulock or Zadorov for him.
Pulock would be cool-- Manitoba boy playing for the Jets. That marketing campaign could write itself.

What's the scoop on Zadorov? I know HUGE frame but tough to get a read on some guys when they play on such a good team like the Knights becuase everyone looks good on that team for huge stretches of the season. Prospects board has lots of comments on his size and shot but what does he project as?

Old
01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
His father was a CFL WR and his uncle is Donovan McNabb , his mother was a university BB athlete.

Craig Button was just on H&L and is very high on Nurse and really likes his compete level among other attributes. He will be a mid first or higher pick imo.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Pulock would be cool-- Manitoba boy playing for the Jets. That marketing campaign could write itself.

What's the scoop on Zadorov? I know HUGE frame but tough to get a read on some guys when they play on such a good team like the Knights becuase everyone looks good on that team for huge stretches of the season. Prospects board has lots of comments on his size and shot but what does he project as?
I love Zadorov. It's also hard to read him becuase he's way more physically mature.

I encourage you to watch a knights game. The way he skates for a guy his size/weight will almost blow your mind. Very effecient back skater.

Also good timing on the CSS. Looks like they noticed the same things in Gauthier that I saw. He received a healthy jump in the rankings.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
His father was a CFL WR and his uncle is Donovan McNabb , his mother was a university BB athlete.

Craig Button was just on H&L and is very high on Nurse and really likes his compete level among other attributes. He will be a mid first or higher pick imo.
That just turned me off of Nurse.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Bob E

Quote:
I love Zadorov. It's also hard to read him becuase he's way more physically mature.

I encourage you to watch a knights game. The way he skates for a guy his size/weight will almost blow your mind. Very effecient back skater.

Also good timing on the CSS. Looks like they noticed the same things in Gauthier that I saw. He received a healthy jump in the rankings.
Why was Zadorov left off team Russia for WJC?

I'm not sure he's a guy i would want unless we got him in the 15-20 range, even then, not sure.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:

I'm not sure he's a guy i would want unless we got him in the 15-20 range, even then, not sure.
I would be ecstatic to get him in that range personally.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Bob E

Quote:
I would be ecstatic to get him in that range personally.
I guess it depends on who else is there, for me.

In my mind, i'm thinking scoring forward for this draft in the first round, will take some effort to change it to big, physical, shutdown dman.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:24 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
That just turned me off of Nurse.
I know a lot of people discredit him , but his ratings this year seem very solid to me . He is just on 1290 right by coincidence , and worth listening to . He sees all the players and I respect that and I value that. Plus his ratings are for development , which I also like.

Craig Button:
I see this draft as having similar type as the 2003 draft. By that, I mean specifically that teams will select quality players throughout the 1st round and into the 2nd .

Kevin Cheveldayoff emphasized that having 6 picks in the top 75 or so players is huge for this franchise. This all looks good for Winnipeg , and Chevy confirmed they really put a lot off assets into scouting this lockout , huge draft for Winnipeg.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I like listening to Button.

Oftentimes the guys who have the lists that are far more different than your own tend to be the best to listen to.

Different set of opinion sometimes. Don't always agree with things he sees or opinions he comes to, but I enjoy giving those opinions thought.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:39 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
I like listening to Button.

Oftentimes the guys who have the lists that are far more different than your own tend to be the best to listen to.

Different set of opinion sometimes. Don't always agree with things he sees or opinions he comes to, but I enjoy giving those opinions thought.
I agree , and it isn't like he has no background for this regardless of what people think of his Calgary days imo. Love how he feels this draft is so deep , tons of flexibility for the Jets this year.

Kevin Cheveldayoff said on the Rona Roundtable with Rick Ralph , that a goal of this franchise is to develop assets so they can be aggressive . Six picks in the top 75 or so are assets. They could move to 6 if they felt it was warranted , they could also move down and end up with 2 picks in the first round ... I can see the Jets being aggressive.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:50 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:

Too young - basically not developed enough for the Russian's, I'm assuming. He really is a boy in a mans body - 6'6", 230'ish lbs. Skates well (not fast, but efficient), and is very physical. The questions about his game are with regards to offense, but he showed good progression in the OHL this year.

He could be a real powerhouse on the blueline if he continues to progress. If the Jets make the playoffs and end up picking in the 14+ range, I wouldn't be dissapointed if Chevy picked him if he was still available.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 01-15-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 08:58 PM
JetsHomer

If you want to make the Russian team, its a disadvantage playing in the CHL. They seem to like guys that stay home. I likd Zadorov. Even if he doesn't come along offensively, defensively he'd look good beside Bogosian or Trouba in a few years. I like big dmen that actually use their size.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:59 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up!

Interview actually happens during the second hour of the shows. So make sure to pick Hour 2, then the interview starts around the 11:10 point.
Thanks Sweech

Old
01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
With the CSS midterm rankings up, I figured it'd be fun to project who the Jets would take if they finished around 15th overall.

15th: Darnell Nurse (currently ranked 9th among NA skaters)
45th: Curtis Lazar (currently ranked 26th among NA skaters)
75th: Miro Aaltonen (currently ranked 22nd among EU skaters)
105th: Jordan Subban (currently ranked 81st among NA skaters)
135th: Jake Patterson (currently ranked 16th among NA goalies)
165th: Sergey Tolchinsky (currently ranked 149th among NA skaters)
195th: Alex Forsberg (currently not ranked)

I'm pretty sure most of those players (especially Nurse, Lazar, Aaltonen and Subban) will move up the rankings over the course of the year, but that's who I would take if the draft was today.
Lazar is in free fall. If anything he will continue to fall. There was guy I really did not like coming into the year and kinda been proven right many had him as a top 10 pick coming into the year.

Closed Thread