HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings

Old
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Dat draft class!

Frederik Gauthier is probably the least talked about kid ranked in the 1st round. Anyone seen him play? Whats his style?
How long is it until we decide this is a weak draft class?

I mean, how long until Brian Burke decides this is a bad draft class.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
A little surprised Kujawinski is so low. I know he got off to a bad start offensively this season, but he's turned it around and is starting to look like the player I thought we'd see coming in to the season.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Usually first eligible players playing even 9 games in the SEL are ranked a lot higher.
Not really. Boyce-Rotevall played 33 games and wasn't drafted.
Victor Berglind played 18 games (before his draft year?) and wasn't drafted.
At the same time some players get drafted straight out of juniors.
The scouts are looking at a lot more than just games played.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
With 9 games? Not high.
Most of the others in 10 top havent played a single SEL game.. unbelievable..

Playing in the SEL at the age of 17, usually makes you a 1st round pick, or early 2nd...

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:35 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
When you play in the SEL at the age of 17, you are usually something special. A standout in your age group.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:42 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Really don't understand why CSS has such a hate for the small goal scoring forwards who CAN put the puck in the net. Seen it back in 2010 where Jeff Skinner was always low in the CSS lists and was the #34 NA skater in the final rankings. We all know what happened there.

So why the hate for Domi? I wouldn't even call 5'10" 190 lbs small at all, but Domi really knows how to put the puck in the net and create offense. Sure there are some scouts that don't think his game will translate to the next level but Domi is as hard of a worker there is in this draft class and he has adapted to competition everywhere he's played so far. I would have Domi as a shoe in top 15 pick at least.
I agree. He is an Ennis replica, only much bigger and further along in development when both were at his age. Filthy hands, quick, great foot speed, smart, sturdy. Domi is a great player.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Well every team does their HT/WT stats at the start of the year and Domi is listed at 194 lbs. Don't know how you would know what he weights unless you privately weighed him yourself. He's a bulky kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
the teams always exaggerate players' weights on their websites. Have you ever seen him? He's not 194
Hi guys,

Domi was weighed by NHL Central Scouting at the Top Prospects Game yesterday (January 14th). I have the results in front of me right now and as of yesterday, he was measured to be 5'9 and 197 lbs. I hope this helps solve the question.

01-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Mirco Mueller?

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
YARR123

Quote:
These are exceptions to the rule, I didn't say they always get drafted or ranked high. Generally if you play games in the SEL (especially if you're an U18 player) as a first-time eligible you are ranked pretty high.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Mirco Mueller?
Blatant plug, but I spoke with Mueller yesterday and you should be able to read all about him later today on Hockey's Future.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
stayinalive

vCash: 1078
Dominik Kahun and Frederik Tiffels not on the list is ridiculous. Cammarata also should be included.
Zadorov at #30 , Martin at #5G is a complete joke

stayinalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Hi guys,

Domi was weighed by NHL Central Scouting at the Top Prospects Game yesterday (January 14th). I have the results in front of me right now and as of yesterday, he was measured to be 5'9 and 197 lbs. I hope this helps solve the question.
He inherited the 'Domi head' from his dad. It's reinforced cement and weighs 40 lbs.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
YARR123

Does anyone have any knowledge about Teemu Kivihalme, a finnish defenseman playing highschool hockey in Minnesota? I was surprised to see him ranked 75th, he's ahead of some pretty big names.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=141072
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_pl...ubseason=79765

According to the Minnesota based site he's 6'1, 170 lbs.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:48 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
How long is it until we decide this is a weak draft class?

I mean, how long until Brian Burke decides this is a bad draft class.
That won't happen because the progression of the players this year vs. last year is pretty much the complete opposite.
Everyone has been relatively healthy, many are progressing steadily or ahead of their expected curve, and there are plenty of surprises too.
Last year, it seemed like everyone had something ailing them, many progressed negatively, and no one really stepped into the places of the ones that fell off the map.

I think the large number of overage players (aka players going through their second year of eligibility or beyond) taken last year speaks for itself.

Quote:
Hi guys,

Are those numbers published anywhere and if they aren't, would you mind sharing them?

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Are those numbers published anywhere and if they aren't, would you mind sharing them?
I'll try to type them up later. Players who did not get measured are Dauphin, Monahan, Lazar and Theodore.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:59 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Does anyone have any knowledge about Teemu Kivihalme, a finnish defenseman playing highschool hockey in Minnesota? I was surprised to see him ranked 75th, he's ahead of some pretty big names.

He's well regarded in US hockey circles so it's not a huge surprise to see him ranked where he is. He's supposed to be a great skater with some good offensive potential.

He's a dual-citizen who played for the US at the U18 Ivan Hlinka tournament last summer. At the time it looked like he was committed to the US program going forward, though I'm not sure he'd meet IIHF eligibility requirements to play for Finland anyway.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
jfb392

Quote:
I'll try to type them up later. Players who did not get measured are Dauphin, Monahan, Lazar and Theodore.
Thanks, it's much appreciated since the public doesn't even officially get the CSS measurements anymore.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Hi guys,

i find that shocking (i don't mean i doubt you)...i would have guessed around 175

Quote:
why were some not measured?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
He's well regarded in US hockey circles so it's not a huge surprise to see him ranked where he is. He's supposed to be a great skater with some good offensive potential.

He's a dual-citizen who played for the US at the U18 Ivan Hlinka tournament last summer. At the time it looked like he was committed to the US program going forward, though I'm not sure he'd meet IIHF eligibility requirements to play for Finland anyway.
I didn't know he played for the US, he has also played a couple games for finnish NT in some tournament. I believe the Ivan Hlinka tournament isn't an official IIFH tournament, meaning that he can still play for Finland if he so wishes. I wouldn't be surprised though if Finnish hockey federation doesn't even make a real effort to getting him play for Finland, they're usually very passive regarding players playing overseas.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
why were some not measured?
There were some issues with flights (fog in Halifax caused some delays with planes landing) and so a lot of players didn't get in until late last night (that was the case for Monahan, Lazar and Theodore).

In Dauphin's case, I don't believe he came in until today as the call on Shinkaruk didn't happen until yesterday. I'm not 100% sure if Dauphin even participated in the testing today (I watched some of Team Orr's testing, but don't recall seeing him out there or hearing his name).

Old
01-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
the teams always exaggerate players' weights on their websites. Have you ever seen him? He's not 194
Quote:
Hi guys,

Well there it is, Domi is listed even higher than I previously thought. Thanks for the clarification Kevin.

Also think Canada has 3 stellar goaltender prospects in Fucale, Martin and Comrie. I have had several viewings of Martin and he has been outstanding at times. Limited viewings of the other two but I wouldn't mind my team taking Martin in the 1st round.

Last edited by Canuck71: 01-15-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:56 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Wow didnít even realize that Domi was at 23.. hahahha If the leafs get him with a 2nd i'd be absolutely ecstatic

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
I didn't know he played for the US, he has also played a couple games for finnish NT in some tournament. I believe the Ivan Hlinka tournament isn't an official IIFH tournament, meaning that he can still play for Finland if he so wishes. I wouldn't be surprised though if Finnish hockey federation doesn't even make a real effort to getting him play for Finland, they're usually very passive regarding players playing overseas.
The issue with him playing for Finland is that I'm pretty positive he's played all his hockey in the US. The IIHF eligibility rules would require that he live and play in Finland for two consecutive years before becoming eligible to play for them in an IIHF tournament. Even if he moved there today he'd never be eligible for a Finnish junior team in an IIHF tournament as he wouldn't qualify until after the 2015 World Juniors were already over.

It's not impossible that he could play for Finland in the future but at this point it looks improbable.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:

Graceful skater, natural puck mover. He's at his best when he plays within himself; intelligent player. To be honest he hasn't taken as big a step as I thought he would.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Garl

On euro list have no idea why some guysare so low. Like Krupic, Wallmark, Possler.

On NA list Zadorov seems low. The I had trouble finding Martin Reway. Finally found him around 180, where he was, ranked below some guy named Bryukvin who has 5 pts in the Q this season, while Reway is over PPG.

Axel Blomqvist was found near Reway.

Also, on euro list, are there really 20 prospects better than Crus-Rydberg? and where's Zhafyarov?

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote