HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Many others have already said it and it's really just stating the obvious at this point but LeBrun says the two sides continue to negotiate:

Quote:
Of course, at some point last season’s leading scorer Ryan O'Reilly, a huge heart-and-soul guy on this team, will finally sign and return to the Avs. The NHL club and his representatives from Newport Sports continue to negotiate. Once O’Reilly is back, whenever that is, that will somewhat change a line or two above.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...opes-for-hawks

Click on the link anyways and read all the good things LeBrun says about Duchene.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:52 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
His progress is point directly upwards and it is not for one season only, I'm not sure for how long it went on in juniors, but at least from summer 2009 the only thing he has done has been exceeding the expectations. For example, when he was told to score some points, the result was doubling up Matt Duchene's scoring.

Ryan Kesler for example has never even been in top-2 in his team scoring.
Your arguments never cease to amaze me.

They always seem to lack any type of perspective.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Most in team is most in team. No matter how you want to twist it.

That is exactly what Ryan O'Reilly is all about.
55 points is 55 points no matter how you want to twist it.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
His progress is point directly upwards and it is not for one season only, I'm not sure for how long it went on in juniors, but at least from summer 2009 the only thing he has done has been exceeding the expectations. For example, when he was told to score some points, the result was doubling up Matt Duchene's scoring.

Ryan Kesler for example has never even been in top-2 in his team scoring.

The only thing he is trying to exceed now is his contract worth.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
55 points is 55 points no matter how you want to twist it.
55 points has been enough to win scoring race in some seasons. Everything is relative.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 141
Quote:
55 points has been enough to win scoring race in some seasons. Everything is relative.
Maybe prior to the Art Ross being awarded. Lowest total for that was in its inaugural year of 1948, when Lach won it with 61 points.

I think you've made it clear you're not serious.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I actually completely understand not taking the five year at $3.4M. He could be worth way more money than that after a year or two. The problem I have is not taking a short term deal in the summer and doing so. It's a perfectly reasonable alternative as a bridge deal that Dater alluded to teams doing all the time.

Now he can't take a two year deal, unless it's really pricey because it won't break the KHL deal. It F' d the whole thing up. A three year deal like Krejci and Giroux's in the only possible compromise at this point I think. It just depends on if O'Reilly and his agent will be reasonable enough to not take negotiations personally and accept it.
Totally agree. A bridge deal would be the best way to maximize his value while providing a good value to the team. However, the talk that he turned down a two (or three?) year deal kinda makes that a moot point, unless his issue was with the $3.4m. Agree with the Krejci contract, 3 years at $3.75m per is great: the cost is right, the term is good, and it sets him up nicely if he keeps progressing. I personally think it's hard to justify paying him more than Duchene (they're equal to me), but at this point I think it's a pill the team will have to swallow if they want him back.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Exactly what year in the NHL did the leading scorer put up 55 points?

No... it's not all relative, 55 points stacks up as a second line center. Simple...

He led OUR TEAM in scoring, so what... Did we make the playoffs?

Last edited by Frenchy: 01-15-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
PAZ

Uhg, this news honestly puts a bit of a damper on the season. Even if we get a hockey trade like Kulikov for RoR, I still think its a poor move by management. Kulikov is holding out on the Panthers as well so either way, the Avs are going to pay more than they'd like for the RFA years. I'd much rather have a heart and soul guy who has been with the Avs, no matter how good Kulikov is or will be.

I agree that a multi year 4 mil contract would be ideal. Hell, even if it comes down to it and they pay around 4.5 it would be fine. If we lose RoR, I don't see us having a chance make the playoffs this year.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Hans Landaskog

Hang on to O'Reilly and make him stay in KHL for the season.
Draft Seth Jones.

win-win

Old
01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Exactly what year in the NHL did the leading scorer put up 55 points?

No... it's not all relative, 55 points stacks up as a second line center. Simple...

He led OUR TEAM in scoring, so what... Did we make the playoffs?
Almost all seasons in 1930s. Like said, it is relative.

No, Avs didn't make the playoffs. Still, some Stastny makes closer to 7 million and that's still talking about things O'Reilly should not get paid primarily for. Point scoring is about #5 in the list of what O'Reilly should get paid for.

Last edited by Frenchy: 01-15-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I agree that a multi year 4 mil contract would be ideal. Hell, even if it comes down to it and they pay around 4.5 it would be fine. If we lose RoR, I don't see us having a chance make the playoffs this year.
That's how I see it too.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
Draft Seth Jones.

win-win
Except for the part about the Avs finishing 29th or 30th in the league. They need to make the playoffs this season.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Draft Seth Jones.

win-win
Could very well happen

Old
01-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 141
Quote:
Then he should be happy to get paid $4000 a year with no free agency or protections.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Uhg, this news honestly puts a bit of a damper on the season. Even if we get a hockey trade like Kulikov for RoR, I still think its a poor move by management. Kulikov is holding out on the Panthers as well so either way, the Avs are going to pay more than they'd like for the RFA years. I'd much rather have a heart and soul guy who has been with the Avs, no matter how good Kulikov is or will be.

I'd rather they hold out for something different than Kulikov too. Even if it's not a better D. His contract demands worry me a bit, but I'm more concerned that he still reportedly has defensive zone issues, and only has a season high of 28 points.

He may improve on both fronts, but it's too risky IMO to give up a guy like O'Reilly for that. To me it's Yandle, hold out for more value, or somehow try to repair the relationship with O'Reilly.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Nihiliste

Comparisons to Art Ross winner Joe Thornton and triple selke winner Pavel Datsyuk weren't enough, now we've descended to comparisons to the 1930s.

Get real.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:23 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:

No, Avs didn't make the playoffs. Still, some Stastny makes closer to 7 million and that's still talking about things O'Reilly should not get paid primarily for. Point scoring is about #5 in the list of what O'Reilly should get paid for.
Really? You're using a comparison from the 1930s and saying it's relative?

Uh... One of the big reasons hes so special is his 'Now acquired' potential of offense + defensive ability. And it's potential until he repeats or even beats his previous years production. It goes hand in hand to make him worth 'Selke Center' money, not in some kind of list of ranked value when in comes to what he brings.

Simple fact is he needs to prove himself beyond one season to earn what a 55-60 point defensive center brings in. Higher level defensive centers are allowed to put up 2nd line center numbers and be called #1 centers or 'Top Centers" in the league. But in order to be in that class O'Reilly needs to prove consistency and probably get a Selke nomination.

If he gets nominated for the Selke award and puts up a 60 point pace this season. Hell yes I would say hes worth 5M per year.... HE HAS NOT DONE THAT YET.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Could very well happen
If the loss of O'reilly would really make us the worst or second worst team in the league, then I guess we may as well just pay him what he wants now.

Somehow I don't see that being the case. I doubt the Avs make the playoffs without him but I'd guess they'd finish somewhere around 20th.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I'd rather they hold out for something different than Kulikov. Even if it's not a better D. His contract demands worry me a bit, but I'm more concerned that he still reportedly has defensive zone issues, and only has a season high of 28 points.

He may improve on both fronts, but it's too risky IMO to give up a guy like O'Reilly for that. To me it's Yandle, hold out for more value, or somehow try to repair the relationship with O'Reilly.
Well the Kulikov situation looks like it worked itself out according to the Panthers board, so won't have to worry about that either. I don't see Phoenix trading Yandle yet, but he would be ideal.

I would however do cartwheels if we somehow managed to get a RoR+ for Bogosian trade. Imo would be the perfect partner for EJ, Bogo is gonna be a stud.

Few years down the road...

EJ - Bogo
Elliot/Barrie - Siemens
Wilson - O'Byrne

I can dream, right?

Old
01-15-2013, 03:27 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Draft Seth Jones.

win-win
Imagine if Management actually planned this. Told factor to stay over there, make a big deal out of it claiming they're missing a huge piece. The team sucks, avs draft denver's own in jones, radar comes back, Joe Sakic becomes head coach, New uniforms announced, new marketing plan, Corey Perry signs and bam stanley cup.

I cant believe i figured out the chain of events. I'm a genius

Old
01-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Imagine if Management actually planned this. Told factor to stay over there, make a big deal out of it claiming they're missing a huge piece. The team sucks, avs draft denver's own in jones, radar comes back, Joe Sakic becomes head coach, New uniforms announced, new marketing plan, Corey Perry signs and bam stanley cup.

I want this more than an O'Reilly signing.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:

Is all of that before or after we trade Hunwick for Crosby?

Old
01-15-2013, 03:33 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:

Old
01-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Is all of that before or after we trade Hunwick for Crosby?
lol what a lop-sided trade!

Pens need to add big time.

Closed Thread