HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Probably struggled in two of the largest media markets and gave in to the pressure. I'm sure it's not easy coming out of Alaska into NYC/Montreal
Gomez did not struggle in NY, really. And he had a good season in Montreal.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:23 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

i just dont think gomer thrived well under an intense spotlight. montreal, new york..completely different animal in new jersey

Old
01-15-2013, 02:23 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
I can't comment on his AHL play this year, haven't seen enough games.

When Henrique gets back he should play 2nd line C, we don't need a question mark in that spot, and an injury prone one at that. I'd like to see this once Henrique gets healthy (assuming we get no forwards via trade, which is highly unlikely):

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
Elias-Henrique-Zubrus
Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Furthermore, what in god's name has made Pete DeBoer to put Kovalchuk on the right wing? I can't and probably won't ever understand how a guy scores FIFTY GOALS on the left side and somehow he's better suited for the right. Maybe this sport has just passed me by, because it doesn't make sense.
I trust Deboer on the move. The one year Kovy had 51 goals he scored 27 Power play goals. Kovy should really be a 1.5 Goals per 60 minutes of 5 on 5 kind of player. He has been below 1 the last two seasons which really shouldn't happen to a player of that skill.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Devil X

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
After looking over his numbers over the last few years i would take Gomez and see what he can do. His biggest knock is his salary he has only scored under 50 points TWICE in his career.

Might not get a ton of goals but he knows how to set things up. I hope Lou calls but i have a feeling he wont and neither will Gomez. He will end up going some where and they will benefit i believe.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
It's not about getting Kovy goals, it's about getting the Devils wins.

Ovechkin may make the same move as Kovy, probably after seeing how much it benefited Kovy's play, even though it was strange at first. Specifically it was mentioned how skating wide and cutting to the middle to shoot from the off wing is basically a no go now, teams got too good at defending it.
My fantasy team wants ovechkin to score more goals. Who cares if they win

Old
01-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Beetlebum*

Gomez needs to be brought in the year the Canadiens upset the Caps he outplayed Backstrom. Plus, he can still be lethal on the PP and it would be amazing to see him play with Kovy in spurts.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Gomez is definitely a better option for faceoffs than anyone on this team behind Zajac, and Yayo. Our crap faceoff depth finally caught up to us in the playoffs, and was one of the reasons our PK fell apart. That was even with Zajac on the team too.

I'm a lot more confident with Gomez than Tedenby. It has to be a one year deal though for cheap. I wouldn't be opposed to a 2 year deal if REALLY cheap though. If he impresses this season it could be a high reward by not having to worry about him going to UFA. I just hope him being with us won't cost Butler a spot. Really high on him at the moment.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Gomez is definitely a better option for faceoffs than anyone on this team behind Zajac, and Yayo. Our crap faceoff depth finally caught up to us in the playoffs, and was one of the reasons our PK fell apart. That was even with Zajac on the team too.

I'm a lot more confident with Gomez than Tedenby. It has to be a one year deal though for cheap. I wouldn't be opposed to a 2 year deal if REALLY cheap though. If he impresses this season it could be a high reward by not having to worry about him going to UFA. I just hope him being with us won't cost Butler a spot. Really high on him at the moment.
I am going to be upset if we can't sign him for a like a 1 year 1-2 million deal. The guy can get 50 points no problem playing along with Elias. And it is a low risk move. Worse case he sucks and Henrique fills in when healthy. If he is the 50+ point C we can plug Henrique on the wing until next season when Gomez bolts for the money again (haha).

Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
FirmestPiano

I'm not sure Lou would bring him in though. He hasn't brought back Sykora, so why would he bring back Gomez whom is arguably less needed than Sykora. Our wing depth isn't exactly fantastic.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
I'm not sure Lou would bring him in though. He hasn't brought back Sykora, so why would he bring back Gomez whom is arguably less needed than Sykora. Our wing depth isn't exactly fantastic.
Sykora was out of gas come playoff time and was too slow for our system in the playoffs. Plus who knows what Sykora was asking for in a contract. The guy did score 17 EV goals.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Devil X

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
I am going to be upset if we can't sign him for a like a 1 year 1-2 million deal. The guy can get 50 points no problem playing along with Elias. And it is a low risk move. Worse case he sucks and Henrique fills in when healthy. If he is the 50+ point C we can plug Henrique on the wing until next season when Gomez bolts for the money again (haha).
HAHA you guys are funny. Its a low risk move anyway. Sign him to a 3 year deal DOESNT MATTER we can just use a buyout on him. Those things people dont think the Devils will use anyway.

Listen i am not saying Lou would do that but its a factor. Sign him for 2 years maybe little more then you might be ok with say 2 mill and if it dont work he can be gone after 48 games. Its not like the cap will be an issue for us this season.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Quote:
Our faceoff depth isn't fantastic either. No one aside from Zajac can be counted on to win a faceoff in a key situation. Josefson is good at them, but hasn't been matched against top competition yet. Gomez is still around 50% on faceoffs I believe. Which is higher than Elias, Henrique, and Zubrus.

Plus we need the obligatory former Devil back. 2007/2008 was the only year since the 04/05 lockout we did not bring back a former Devil. Well 09/10 we brought back Lemaire, but whatever.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Zippy316

Just read the Ryan Carter claimed thread. People said he was awful, some said Mills was better than him, one person said our fourth line was the best we had in years pre-Carter. Wow.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:42 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I would welcome Gomez, at a fair price, with open arms. He'd be a very solid asset to have come postseason, cause he's always been a stud during the most important time of the season, plus he'd give us more depth up front... wich we desperatly need.

I love Josefson and I really think he has a bright future ahead of him but he's also injury prone over the past couple of years and having him as our #2/#3 center, depending where Elias will play during the Henrique injury, is a big gamble IMO.

He's a low risk/high reward type of signing and who knows, he might turn his career around and surprise everyone.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Ryan Carter is the truth

Old
01-15-2013, 02:49 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
i dont get the 'centers' argument (from you, or the identical one from TG). kovy is playing RW. corrente has played wing. lou has been coach. people shift. things happen. not a big deal. WE NEED GOALS this year, looking at our departures. if gomez can contribute, bring him in. we'll fid a spot for him

Old
01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
i dont get the 'centers' argument (from you, or the identical one from TG). kovy is playing RW. corrente has played wing. lou has been coach. people shift. things happen. not a big deal. WE NEED GOALS this year, looking at our departures. if gomez can contribute, bring him in. we'll fid a spot for him
Smart minds think a like, lol. Hey, I agree, I wouldn't mind Gomez brought back either playing center or wing. Center until Henrique is back and the maybe on the left wing on the third line with Josefson.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Bosskarelli

You know this fanbase's Devils drafted player obsession has reached ridiculous levels when you've got so many people coming up with excuses for the team to bring back SCOTT GOMEZ.

Alter his history so he was drafted by someone else and never played here and won his two cups with other teams, but otherwise has the same career statswise and his name isn't being brought up here at all even for league minimum.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosskarelli View Post
You know this fanbase's Devils drafted player obsession has reached ridiculous levels when you've got so many people coming up with excuses for the team to bring back SCOTT GOMEZ.

Alter his history so he was drafted by someone else and never played here and won his two cups with other teams, but otherwise has the same career statswise and his name isn't being brought up here at all even for league minimum.
Gomez is not a horrible player. That contract is what killed him. Dude was the biggest blunder in Montreal last year. He was booed every time he came on the ice. That's gotta do something to you. I don't blame their fans for booing, but Gomez should have never gotten the money he did. Gomez was worth $4.5 million for 5 or 6 years tops, back when that contract was signed.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:59 PM
njdevil26

The Ranger fever around here is absolutely ridiculous.

People defend Parise to no end but Gomez is the plague. Right.

Old
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Gomez is not a horrible player. That contract is what killed him. Dude was the biggest blunder in Montreal last year. He was booed every time he came on the ice. That's gotta do something to you. I don't blame their fans for booing, but Gomez should have never gotten the money he did. Gomez was worth $4.5 million for 5 or 6 years tops, back when that contract was signed.
If its the booing that got to him, I dont know how he will do here. Im 100% certain he would be booed here as well

Old
tycobb

Quote:

I disagree. This is a low-risk high-reward kind of move. He got hurt last year and never was a goal scorer (besides 1 year). I won't be surprised if he gave us 10 g and 45 a this year.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
I disagree. This is a low-risk high-reward kind of move. He got hurt last year and never was a goal scorer (besides 1 year). I won't be surprised if he gave us 10 g and 45 a this year.
He cant do that in an 82 game season let alone a 48 game season

Old
01-15-2013, 03:02 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
You know this fanbase's Devils drafted player obsession has..
if the devils had drafted any forwards worth a lick besides matteau, we wouldnt even be looking into gomez. but for 1/2 a season? who wouldnt sign him for a low price? if there's any 'obsession' that should be curbed, its the gomez-haters'.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:

That's complete BS.

Take away the scar he left on most of this fanbase when he jumped ship to our biggest rival and you wouldn't see all these stupid post about him being a massive turd.

We have zero depth up front and for a fair deal, Gomez would be a solid pickup. Certain posters weren't all that pissed when we signed Barch and Janssen but would be if we signed Gomez?

Go figure.

P.S. Scott Gomez scored less then 50 pts 3 times in his 12 year career. Two of wich happend to be with the god awfull Habs and the other time was in 2001-2002 (48 pts). Anyone who wouldn't take a flyer on a 50 pts guy needs to be checked out IMO.

Closed Thread