HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marcus Foligno

Old
01-15-2013, 12:10 PM
IHeartZherdev

vCash: 500
Would love to get Foligno on the Jackets...I'd even take back the Leino contract to get him...

IHeartZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
Would love to get Foligno on the Jackets...I'd even take back the Leino contract to get him...
Zero way to make it happen. Our best high-value assets are defense prospects, which is precisely what Buffalo doesn't need.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Zero way to make it happen. Our best high-value assets are defense prospects, which is precisely what Buffalo doesn't need.
Exactly. You could give us your pick this year

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:15 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Foligno is what Buffalo most needs. He's the reason they traded Kassian for Hodgson to address their other need of young centermen (which they further addressed drafting Grigorenko and Girgensons). To top it off he was born in Buffalo, his father is a Buffalo legend, and he was 5 hits away from the team lead despite playing in 13 games (more of a sad commentary on the team than anything, but it shows the need for him). I don't see any reasonable trade another team could make for him.

I don't want to give anyone the idea that I have misplaced confidence in how good he will be. Obviously his stats from last season will not be reproduced (I think he shot like 25%). I have no belief he will be a top line power forward, though it wouldn't shock me. But what he is without a doubt is everything this team needs in terms of size, character, effort, and nastiness. He absolutely has good enough ability to score at this level though that isn't the heart of his game.
Foligno was behind: Stafford, Ehrhoff,Gerbe,leopold,Myers,gaustad,Sekera,Kaleta, Tropp,McNabb,Regher,weber,Mccormick in hits last year, not sure what you meant by 2nd on the team through 13 games? Not to take away from Marcus cuz 44 hits in 14 games is nothing to scoff at.

DJN21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
eh, their blue line is pretty bad/old outside of Myers ... Ehrhoff, Leopold, Regehr, Sekera?

I don't necessarily think they'd look to trade Foligno but I do think top notch D prospect would interest them.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Just curious, but what would Sabres fans want for Luke Adam? He seems to have regressed quite a bit, and could use a change of scenery.
Im a Penguins fan but also have season tickets to the Amerks here in Rochester. You don't want Luke Adam anywhere near the Penguins organization. He is absolute garbage and one of the worst Amerks. The man makes Eric Godards skating look fast. Complete bum

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
gdsmack267

Sabres biggest need is Defense in the minors since the Amerks have the worst D in the AHL but sabres management could care less about them so the only thing they would move Foligno for would be vast over-payment of NHL ready players.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
eh, their blue line is pretty bad/old outside of Myers ... Ehrhoff, Leopold, Regehr, Sekera?

I don't necessarily think they'd look to trade Foligno but I do think top notch D prospect would interest them.
Huh?

Ehrhoff is in his prime. Regehr is aging sure, and Leopold is likely gone after this year...but Sekera is a stud shutdown D. McNabb, Brennan, Pysyk, and McCabe are all solid prospects...while McNabb has struggled this year, he should be in line for a spot on the big club soon enough. Brennan might stick this year, he likely doesn't clear waivers with the way he's tearing up the AHL. McCabe just captained USA to gold at the WJCs, and Pysyk was a 1st round pick who's doing well in his 1st pro year.

We don't need defense, we're pretty deep there. We need wingers way more...of which Foligno is one.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:59 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
Foligno was behind: Stafford, Ehrhoff,Gerbe,leopold,Myers,gaustad,Sekera,Kaleta, Tropp,McNabb,Regher,weber,Mccormick in hits last year, not sure what you meant by 2nd on the team through 13 games? Not to take away from Marcus cuz 44 hits in 14 games is nothing to scoff at.
Foligno was 2nd on the team in hits per game, averaging over 3.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Sabres biggest need is Defense in the minors since the Amerks have the worst D in the AHL but sabres management could care less about them so the only thing they would move Foligno for would be vast over-payment of NHL ready players.
You're right. We should trade an up-and-coming powerforward who only took 13 NHL games to make himself a fan favorite for AHL players.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:31 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:

No offense but I think that you don't know the Sabres that well, the last thing that we need now or later is D.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
The Sabres would amnesty Leino's contract before trading it for negative value. There's absolutely no doubt about that.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:

Myers, Sekera, and Ehrhoff make quite a top 3. Sekera is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league apparently (was the Sabres best last year) and is on one of the best contracts you can find outside of an ELC. Regehr's lost a step but he's still good at what he does. Leopold is a solid (if not wholly consistent) two-way vet who will garner lots of interest at the deadline if the Sabres are interested in moving him. The question mark is the 6th spot for which they have 4 legitimate candidates to choose from at the moment (Sulzer, Weber, Pardy, TJ Brennan). Sulzer showed immediate chemistry (rekindling of their Olympic partnership) with Ehrhoff and that's the pairing in camp right now.

I won't sit here and say the Sabres defense is elite, unless some of these guys take a step forward (namely Myers), but there's really no deal out there that makes sense and upgrades it. Any attempt to upgrade the D would almost certainly make the team worse, including any trade involving Foligno and anything the Jackets have to offer on the backend.

The pipeline lacks a surefire top-pairing stud but is very deep at defense, but I won't get into that. What the pipeline most needs is wing talent, as it has almost none outside of Armia (other than considering at some point some of Hodgson, Grigorenko, Ennis, Girgensons, Sundher, Catenacci, etc will become wingers if several of them are on the team at once). Deals for Foligno aren't going to make sense and one based around defense will make the least sense of all.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Boose30

The sabres organization wont let this guy go. The only way he leaves is if he chooses to when he becomes a UFA

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Djp

Quote:
Buffalo would be more likey to knock on doors to inquire about Ncik Foligno.

Dont you understand who their father was and how popular he was the Sabres fan base.

The only way to trade Marcus away would be for a bonafide star player....not some reach or potential/upside.

Buffalo is short on wingers. They have 3 young highly skilled centermen who have a ton of potential. The only reason they would acquire a center is for leadership/teaching purposes to the young ones.

Outside the big club they have Joel Armia (RW Finland) who will play for Buffalo next year. He already signed his 2 yr contract to take effect next year.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
The sabres organization wont let this guy go. The only way he leaves is if he chooses to when he becomes a UFA
Right. Everyone accepts they aren't looking to move him.

That said, when someone makes a thread about the guys value, it begins a hypothetical discussion of what he'd be worth and what teams would want him...so...

Old
01-16-2013, 06:17 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Im a Penguins fan but also have season tickets to the Amerks here in Rochester. You don't want Luke Adam anywhere near the Penguins organization. He is absolute garbage and one of the worst Amerks. The man makes Eric Godards skating look fast. Complete bum
That "bum" is only a year or two removed from receiving the AHL MVP. The kid was doing great until last year, when he hit a really bad rough patch he hasn't recovered from. He was PPG centering our first line between Vanek and Pommer for a while last year. He's not a bum, but something has him in a funk he is having serious trouble shaking.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:47 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:

Sorry, but you are wrong on both counts.

Buffalo's biggest strengths:
Defense (quality and depth)
Goaltending

Buffalo's biggest weaknesses:
Very young at center
Lack of quality depth at wings

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong on both counts.

Buffalo's biggest strengths:
Defense (quality and depth)
Goaltending

Buffalo's biggest weaknesses:
Very young at center
Lack of quality depth at wings
Jordan Leopold, Robyn Regehr and Chirstian Erhoff do not count as quality - they are overpaid 3rd d-man. Outside of Myers (who had an up and down year) I don't see a ton of quality.

When compared to their conferences (Rangers, Capitals, Panthers, Senators, etc) they are probably a middle of the pack defensive corps...who is paid like it's one of the best.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Jordan Leopold, Robyn Regehr and Chirstian Erhoff do not count as quality - they are overpaid 3rd d-man. Outside of Myers (who had an up and down year) I don't see a ton of quality.

When compared to their conferences (Rangers, Capitals, Panthers, Senators, etc) they are probably a middle of the pack defensive corps...who is paid like it's one of the best.
Difficult to have a reasonable conversation with you if you're not willing to do some research. All the following posts will be correcting you instead of having a discussion.

To say Hoff is overpaid at a cap hit of 4 million is frankly silly. The Sabres record and level of play with him in the lineup compared to when he was injured speaks for itself. And Leopold is paid exactly what you would want a dman of his caliber to be paid. Regehr is on the downside of his career, no doubt, but his contract isn't unreasonable either.

So to say they don't count as quality? Sorry, you're being ridiculous.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:08 AM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Difficult to have a reasonable conversation with you if you're not willing to do some research. All the following posts will be correcting you instead of having a discussion.

To say Hoff is overpaid at a cap hit of 4 million is frankly silly. The Sabres record and level of play with him in the lineup compared to when he was injured speaks for itself. And Leopold is paid exactly what you would want a dman of his caliber to be paid. Regehr is on the downside of his career, no doubt, but his contract isn't unreasonable either.

So to say they don't count as quality? Sorry, you're being ridiculous.
Look comparatively at what other teams around them have and they don't stack up. In addition, Ehroff, 30, going forward as the puck-mover/PP guy stacks up poorly against the likes of Erik Karlsson, Kris Letang, Mike Green, John Carlson, about 4 guys on the Rangers, etc. And, all of those guys are young and their best years are ahead of them...while Ehroff does have a $4 million cap hit, you are also committed for him for the next decade.

Just look at my post - I called the Buffalo defensive middle of the pack. I think that's fair compared to the NHL as a whole and teams in their own conference.

They are certainly not elite, although I really like Myers and Sekera is solid.

I'm not sure they have any can't miss d-prospects in the pipeline either and maybe with their offensive prospect depth they could make a deal for another young up and coming defensman.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Look comparatively at what other teams around them have and they don't stack up. In addition, Ehroff, 30, going forward as the puck-mover/PP guy stacks up poorly against the likes of Erik Karlsson, Kris Letang, Mike Green, John Carlson, about 4 guys on the Rangers, etc. And, all of those guys are young and their best years are ahead of them...while Ehroff does have a $4 million cap hit, you are also committed for him for the next decade.

Just look at my post - I called the Buffalo defensive middle of the pack. I think that's fair compared to the NHL as a whole and teams in their own conference.

They are certainly not elite, although I really like Myers and Sekera is solid.

I'm not sure they have any can't miss d-prospects in the pipeline either and maybe with their offensive prospect depth they could make a deal for another young up and coming defensman.
There is one young defenseman in the CBJ organization for whom Regier would trade Foligno. One. And I think you know who that is, and I know CBJ isn't trading him in the foreseeable future.

The rest is irrelevant noise.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:28 AM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
There is one young defenseman in the CBJ organization for whom Regier would trade Foligno. One. And I think you know who that is, and I know CBJ isn't trading him in the foreseeable future.

The rest is irrelevant noise.
It's a thread called "value of Marcus Foligno" on a message board. No one thinks Buffalo is looking to trade him or should trade him.

with that said - Ehrhoff, Vanek, Miller, Rehr, Pominville, Ott, etc...most of the key players on that roster are in their primes now, and I know Pegula wants to win now, so I could see them doing a move that sends a young piece for an establish player and pick/prospect.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:39 AM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
You're right. We should trade an up-and-coming powerforward who only took 13 NHL games to make himself a fan favorite for AHL players.
I said in my post that the only thing he would be moved for is an overpayment of NHL ready players so not sure why there is sarcasm.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Woll Smoth

Saw him play the Leafs once near the end of last year.

Instantly wanted him of the Leafs. Buffalo is lucky to have him, wouldn't trade him if I was them.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote