HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Glen Sather/Gomez and Redden buyout rule. Who else get's bought out?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 02:00 PM
  #1
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,433
vCash: 500
The Glen Sather/Gomez and Redden buyout rule. Who else get's bought out?

So Gomez and Redden will become UFA's. No cap savings this yr for the Rangers and Canadians but next yr they are off( like they would of been anyways since they would of been bought out after the yr)

http://snyrangersblog.com/

So who else gets boughtout with no cap savings this yr?

Olesz?, Stajan? Horcoff, Komisarek?......I would think they all get one more chance this season to prove what they have.

Don't see any other obvious names but Redden and Gomez, thoughts?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:01 PM
  #2
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,927
vCash: 500
Really hope the Canucks look at Gomez. Good fit while Kesler is out and I think he'd look good with Kesler/Booth.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:09 PM
  #3
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Really hope the Canucks look at Gomez.
As do I.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:09 PM
  #4
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Really hope the Canucks look at Gomez. Good fit while Kesler is out and I think he'd look good with Kesler/Booth.
This was my first thought for Gomez as well.

For redden, I kinda want Ottawa to pick him up for the ahl, see if he still has anything in him once motivated again.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:13 PM
  #5
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,903
vCash: 500
In before DiPietro.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:13 PM
  #6
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
So Gomez and Redden will become UFA's. No cap savings this yr for the Rangers and Canadians but next yr they are off( like they would of been anyways since they would of been bought out after the yr)

http://snyrangersblog.com/

So who else gets boughtout with no cap savings this yr?

Olesz?, Stajan? Horcoff, Komisarek?......I would think they all get one more chance this season to prove what they have.

Don't see any other obvious names but Redden and Gomez, thoughts?
I believe that Olesz failed his physical before training camp started for the Hawks, so he would be ineligible to be bought out.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
  #7
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
In before DiPietro.
Why would the Isles use an "amensty" buy out for DiPietro? If the Isles were to do that, they'd owe Dipietro something like $25M over the next 18 years, and get NO credit for those $'s against the salary cap. Call me crazy, but there is NO way that the Isles "amnesty" buy out RDP. At least with a "regular" buy out, Wang would get credit for the $'s paid to RDP with regard to the salary cap floor.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:17 PM
  #8
Ghost of Dale Hunter
Registered User
 
Ghost of Dale Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Posted this elsewhere on the boards, but Diepietro buy out would cost Isles 1.5 a year for 18 years and save 4.5 against cap for next 8 years after this one. Seems like a no-brainer, just from a risk management standpoint.

Ghost of Dale Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:17 PM
  #9
CloutierForVezina
Registered User
 
CloutierForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
As do I.
Not sure why a Hawks fan would be happy to see Gomez go to the Canucks.

Gomez was on an awful deal at $7.5M and a large hindrance for a cap team. That does not mean Gomez is an awful player. He's still a good fringe second/third liner and I'm willing to bet his production will go up with the expectations of playing as a $7.5M player gone.

If he signs for under $2M he will be a good value for any team that picks him up.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:17 PM
  #10
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I believe that Olesz failed his physical before training camp started for the Hawks, so he would be ineligible to be bought out.
Yup, he'll go on LTIR, and won't even count against the cap.

If he's healthy in the off-season, Hawks will buy him out then.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:18 PM
  #11
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
I`d say Olesz. Toronto seems fine waiting for the summer, even if those some of those contracts are scary bad too. Re

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:18 PM
  #12
Ghost of Dale Hunter
Registered User
 
Ghost of Dale Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Why would the Isles use an "amensty" buy out for DiPietro? If the Isles were to do that, they'd owe Dipietro something like $25M over the next 18 years, and get NO credit for those $'s against the salary cap. Call me crazy, but there is NO way that the Isles "amnesty" buy out RDP. At least with a "regular" buy out, Wang would get credit for the $'s paid to RDP with regard to the salary cap floor.
Good point, hadnt thought about the floor, though with going into the new building, they may be pumping some $$$$ into the product and this allows them to take some serious runs at stars like Perry and the like.

Ghost of Dale Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:18 PM
  #13
ranold26
Get off my rink!
 
ranold26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,303
vCash: 500
Tim Thomas will NOT be bought out. Thought I'd post this before someone suggests it.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:18 PM
  #14
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Not sure why a Hawks fan would be happy to see Gomez go to the Canucks.

Gomez was on an awful deal at $7.5M and a large hindrance for a cap team. That does not mean Gomez is an awful player. He's still a good fringe second/third liner and I'm willing to bet his production will go up with the expectations of playing as a $7.5M player gone.

If he signs for under $2M he will be a good value for any team that picks him up.
Gomez is terrible, he is barely an NHLer anymore. He would be the equivalent of us getting Brenden Morrison last year, which Canuck fans laughed at.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
  #15
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maple Ridge BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Really hope the Canucks look at Gomez. Good fit while Kesler is out and I think he'd look good with Kesler/Booth.
might be just what we need if we can get him at league min

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:24 PM
  #16
CloutierForVezina
Registered User
 
CloutierForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Gomez is terrible, he is barely an NHLer anymore. He would be the equivalent of us getting Brenden Morrison last year, which Canuck fans laughed at.
Is he really that awful now, or has he been snake bitten?

His minutes have been drastically reduced and his shooting percentage went way down from his career average. It is possible he's simply not an NHL-quality player anymore and he doesn't fit anywhere, even on a team's fourth line. But, from watching him and looking at his stats, I think it's more likely a combination of factors that have made him look worse than he is, the largest being the fact he was eating up $7.5M of a team's cap before.

Not expecting him to return to a 60p pace but I think he can still be a more-than-serviceable 40p player in the right role.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
  #17
jw2
Registered User
 
jw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Is he really that awful now, or has he been snake bitten?

His minutes have been drastically reduced and his shooting percentage went way down from his career average. It is possible he's simply not an NHL-quality player anymore and he doesn't fit anywhere, even on a team's fourth line. But, from watching him and looking at his stats, I think it's more likely a combination of factors that have made him look worse than he is, the largest being the fact he was eating up $7.5M of a team's cap before.

Not expecting him to return to a 60p pace but I think he can still be a more-than-serviceable 40p player in the right role.
Brodeur said it best, "He needs structure."

He has the skill and vision to still play. Not sure he has the will, though.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:26 PM
  #18
crazyforhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,490
vCash: 500
bryz.... then go for luongo

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
  #19
demonsurge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Gomez is terrible, he is barely an NHLer anymore. He would be the equivalent of us getting Brenden Morrison last year, which Canuck fans laughed at.
He is not even close to being that bad.

Gomez is still an NHL player, its just because of his contract he was put into situations that he shouldnt have been to justify the salary.

I wouldnt mind seeing him on Vancouver.

(I also live in Montreal and witnessed his misuse way too many times)

demonsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:28 PM
  #20
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,821
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Why would the Isles use an "amensty" buy out for DiPietro? If the Isles were to do that, they'd owe Dipietro something like $25M over the next 18 years, and get NO credit for those $'s against the salary cap. Call me crazy, but there is NO way that the Isles "amnesty" buy out RDP. At least with a "regular" buy out, Wang would get credit for the $'s paid to RDP with regard to the salary cap floor.
And to me that is more cap circumvention than leaving a player in the minors who sucks. With what the Isles are doing, they are basically gaming the cap.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:28 PM
  #21
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Brodeur said it best, "He needs structure."

He has the skill and vision to still play. Not sure he has the will, though.
Coyotes will be first on the phone. Bank on it.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
  #22
tacoburrito
Registered User
 
tacoburrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 519
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 50
when doing these buyouts i understand the cap hit will stay.. but does this also mean the player would still out towards the 50 players on the reserve list?

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
  #23
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,821
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoburrito View Post
when doing these buyouts i understand the cap hit will stay.. but does this also mean the player would still out towards the 50 players on the reserve list?
How would he count towards that when he isn't on the team?

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
  #24
stakesishigh
how swede it is
 
stakesishigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
How would he count towards that when he isn't on the team?
The way the agreement is structured is that the cap hit remains for this season.

stakesishigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
  #25
SnapVirus
Registered User
 
SnapVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mtl., QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 500
Scott Gomez was one of the best to bring the puck in the offensive zone.

The problem, is when he enters it, he doesnt know what to do with it. And most of the time he lost it.

He's fast, strong on his skate and a good player to have in the locker room (never made problem, is a joker). He can play on the PK. But cannot do a lot in the O'Zone.

I think it can be a good depth player for 1M$ and less if you have a big and speedy team. If you have a slow and small team, dont touch him.

He can play on a 3rd-4th line with 2nd vague PK tmie. And help you on the PP if you have injuries.

Hes not completely useless, he knows the game and won a cup. The problem is that in Montreal, he was getting 7,3M$ and the pressure was too much for him. He cant be your 1st-2nd line center.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.