HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part IX

Old
01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
So who wants to bet during this immediate buy out period we do not buy out Handzus but instead sign Redden and Gomez?

hahahaha
Compliance buyouts start next offseason (ie June/July) not right now. That's why the Canadiens are telling Gomez to stay home this year and not play anywhere. They need him to not get hurt between now and the summer when they can properly buy him out.

and Handzus' contract is up after this season.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:33 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:

Gomez would make a good 3rd/4th line center at around $1.5m tops.

MTL bought out Gomez's final year. Im guessing this is the new "buyout" option from the CBA.

So if the Sharks were interested in picking up Gomez, would they be responsible for part of his contract under the new CBA?

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:33 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Compliance buyouts start next offseason (ie June/July) not right now. That's why the Canadiens are telling Gomez to stay home this year and not play anywhere. They need him to not get hurt between now and the summer when they can properly buy him out.

Sir, you are not keeping up with the news.

They are going to allow buy outs this week in order to stop what was about to happen to Redden and Gomez (being told to stay home all year). To make it fair, all teams will be allowed to buy out now, and next off season.

Also, just to be clear, I would not actually suggest buying out Handzus. He only has one year left anyway.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:35 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
MTL bought out Gomez's final year. Im guessing this is the new "buyout" option from the CBA.

So if the Sharks were interested in picking up Gomez, would they be responsible for part of his contract under the new CBA?
Not that it sounds like, just whatever new contract we give him. MTL is on the hook for it.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1323933

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:41 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
I'd take Gomez at 800k and he'll play a wellwood role of use where needed if needed.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
I wonder if the Isles will use this on DiPietro?

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:44 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
I'd take Gomez at 800k and he'll play a wellwood role of use where needed if needed.
Yah me too. He's not useless, just overpaid. I think he's absolutely the kind of guy Wilson will go after too. Except if he feels confident in Handzus...

Old
01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
TSN says the cap hit has to be $3 million or more so Handzus wouldn't qualify for this anyway.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
sjshrky27

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
In order for a player to be bought this week, still must clear waivers first. Assume Redden and Gomez will be put on waivers tomorrow

Old
01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
2nd line next to Couture and Havlat. And here's hoping he has a bounce back season, all signs are pointing towards it. Contract year, a good RW in Havlat, and good rest from the lockout (he was very injured last season).
Good to hear. Trying to debate dropping a winger in my fantasy to pick up an extra center as Stastny, Weiss and Stepan are available. Just wanted to see if his role was diminishing at all, cheers.

arshonagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
David Booth is going to be injured for 4-6 weeks, and all them on the Canucks forum are convinced they're going to tank for Mackinnon.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Yah me too. He's not useless, just overpaid. I think he's absolutely the kind of guy Wilson will go after too. Except if he feels confident in Handzus...
Gomez is useless unless he can play in the top two lines and put up points. He doesn't have the game to play a 3rd or 4th line role.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:52 PM
NWShark*

personally I would rather wait to see how Zeus does to start before adding any outside help. If they could add moore I would be fine with that too. Doubt he plays this season but if he was able to contribute I would love to have him back. I think the teams with the least turnover are going to make the most noise this season. Seems like they have a few guys groomed from the ahl that can step into useful roles this season so hopefully we don't "need" any signings...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Sir, you are not keeping up with the news.

They are going to allow buy outs this week in order to stop what was about to happen to Redden and Gomez (being told to stay home all year). To make it fair, all teams will be allowed to buy out now, and next off season.

Also, just to be clear, I would not actually suggest buying out Handzus. He only has one year left anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
apologies. I hadn't checked the news this morning.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
sjshrky27

If DW grabbed Gomez for cheap, I'd be fine with it. But I have this feeling that other teams will go nuts tomorrow when Gomez and Redden hit the waiver wire. The owners have been going nuts with nothing to do for too long.

IMO, one of them will lose control tomorrow and do something stupid.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Didn't know where else to ask this and didn't want to start a thread, so I'll ask here:

Does anyone know what time tomorrow (Wednesday) the Sharks will be having their practice (the one open to the public)? I remember someone mentioning it earlier but can't find that info now.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

This is pure fantasy talk and I know the trade would never happen in reality (NMC, cap issues, competitive windows, etc), but I'm curious to find out what others think in regards to who would win this exchange:

To Minnesota:
Boyle
Couture

To San Jose:
Suter
Setoguchi
Clutterbuck

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
This is pure fantasy talk and I know the trade would never happen in reality (NMC, cap issues, competitive windows, etc), but I'm curious to find out what others think in regards to who would win this exchange:

To Minnesota:
Boyle
Couture

To San Jose:
Suter
Setoguchi
Clutterbuck
We would win that trade IMO. We would have arguably the best defense in the league.

Marleau Thornton Setoguchi
Clowe Pavelski Havlat
Galiardi Sheppard Clutterbuck
Burish Desjardins Wingels

Burns Suter
Demers Vlasic
Braun Stuart
Murray

Nemo
Greiss

That lineup would be better than the one we have now and our defense would be set for years.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Thorntonfan97
Josť Bautista-20 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
David Booth is going to be injured for 4-6 weeks, and all them on the Canucks forum are convinced they're going to tank for Mackinnon.
He must've got hurt hunting giant animals

Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Eighth Fret

I haven't looked into it, but I read somewhere that Gomez actually drove puck possession last year, which I wouldn't be surprised to confirm is true. I'd absolutely take him for under 1mm.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:

To Minnesota:
Boyle
Couture

To San Jose:
Suter
Setoguchi
Clutterbuck
We win it hands down. You don't have to even bother talking about cap issues, NMC's, etc. It's so lopsided there is no way Minny makes that deal.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
We win it hands down. You don't have to even bother talking about cap issues, NMC's, etc. It's so lopsided there is no way Minny makes that deal.
I don't think it's that lopsided.

Suter >> Boyle, though they play different styles. Optimistically, Boyle probably only has 2-3 more years of elite play too, so the defense stays stronger longer.

Couture >>>> Setoguchi + Clutterbuck by a significant margin, though it fills a team need of forward depth without losing a top-6 roster spot.

Separately the deals would never work, and the differences should in theory negate each other. However, I think the difference between Boyle and Suter, while quite large, is less than Couture and Setoguchi+Clutterbuck.

But I agree that Minny would never do the deal. I also doubt Doug Wilson would pull the trigger on it either if the trade was on the table.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
I haven't looked into it, but I read somewhere that Gomez actually drove puck possession last year, which I wouldn't be surprised to confirm is true. I'd absolutely take him for under 1mm.
Then his season was even worse the it actually looks stat wise. According to montreal fans he was given lots of top 6 time and power play time. If he was the possesion player you say he should of been wracking up assists even while playing crappy (aka thornton).

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
I don't think it's that lopsided.

Suter >> Boyle, though they play different styles. Optimistically, Boyle probably only has 2-3 more years of elite play too, so the defense stays stronger longer.

Couture >>>> Setoguchi + Clutterbuck by a significant margin, though it fills a team need of forward depth without losing a top-6 roster spot.

But I agree that Minny would never do the deal. I also doubt Doug Wilson would pull the trigger on it either if the trade was on the table.
How in the world can you say losing couture (top 6), while gaining setoguchi (bottom 6, he sucks and will never be what shark fans think he can be), and clutterbuck (bottom 6). Is not losing a top 6 spot?

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote