HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Glen Sather/Gomez and Redden buyout rule. Who else get's bought out?

Old
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
The way the agreement is structured is that the cap hit remains for this season.
Yes. And there is now no contract. So why would he count towards the reserve list? He'd no longer be a contracted player.

FWIW, I have no idea if he counts. But it'd be ridiculous if he did.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Chips*

My guess is Lombardi from Toronto.

Chips* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:36 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsurge View Post
(I also live in Montreal and witnessed his misuse way too many times)
In Montreal he played on every single line in every possible situation with two different coaches at the helm, so I don't know what other situations you can come up with to use him in.

That said, I don't believe he's useless. He'd make a decent third line centre at a much lower salary.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:38 PM
tacoburrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yes. And there is now no contract. So why would he count towards the reserve list? He'd no longer be a contracted player.

FWIW, I have no idea if he counts. But it'd be ridiculous if he did.
why should they get a free spot? that seems silly to me.. they should be punishing those teams

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bach View Post
For what purpose? His value is really low right now, it would make sense to see how he fares this season and potentially trade him at the deadline. If he performs poorly, he's gone at the end of the season anyway and we've still got 2 buyouts till the end of 2014 summer.

Plus, there is some (albeit minimal) interest in him from Phoenix.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bach View Post
Lombardi should be worth a 3rd-5th round pick from someone. I don't think you will see him get bought out.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Told that Bost, Tor, Fla, Ott have expressed at least preliminary interest in Redden...

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Rinzler

In my opinion this provision opens the door for teams to rid themselves of players whom have NMCs who are overpaid and cannot make their team otherwise. Not sure how many there are out there but I imagine there would be one or two.

Komisarek comes to mind for example.

In my mind this is a blatant workaround for the NMC clause.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Pi

I hope the Leafs get rid of Komisarek. It probably puts Carlyle in an awkward position trying to fit him on his team.

Lombardi and Connolly are awful but they are off the cap after this year anyways so no point buying them out.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
And to me that is more cap circumvention than leaving a player in the minors who sucks. With what the Isles are doing, they are basically gaming the cap.
I'd have to disagree on the "gaming the cap". Bottom line - the NHLPA is guaranteed a certain % of HRR, and the Isles are paying RDP his $4.5M per year.

You're point is that the Isles aren't icing a $44M cap team, because they're wasting 10% of that on RDP and not getting their "money's worth" for it. While I agree that is true - the cap wasn't really about enforcing parity via having "market value" contracts. Because if it was - the Flyers would be "gaming the cap" because they're getting a top 10 player in the league in Giroux for $3.75M, or about half of what he is actually worth. It definetely sucks for Isles fans, but hopefully with the move to Brooklyn the budget will be positively impacted and they'll be able to make good hockey moves instead of cap floor related moves.

I have less issue with the Isles having RDP on the cap for $4.5M, than last year them having Nino on the roster with a $3.8M cap hit for impossible bonuses.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:48 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Told that Bost, Tor, Fla, Ott have expressed at least preliminary interest in Redden...
I really don't see Toronto being remotely in on this, we've got a logjam on D enough already.

Unless it's an AHL deal or something.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
For what purpose? His value is really low right now, it would make sense to see how he fares this season and potentially trade him at the deadline. If he performs poorly, he's gone at the end of the season anyway and we've still got 2 buyouts till the end of 2014 summer.

Plus, there is some (albeit minimal) interest in him from Phoenix.
Also, I think that TOR could technically pay half of Lombardi's contract (and the cap hit as well), that would make him more desireable from a trade perspective as well.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
FireEverybody*

There is no point in buying out a player with only this year left... 100% of the cap is still attached to the team. As in Lombardi ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
ummm that does not even make sense.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I hope the Leafs get rid of Komisarek. It probably puts Carlyle in an awkward position trying to fit him on his team.

Lombardi and Connolly are awful but they are off the cap after this year anyways so no point buying them out.
It would make putting Reilly on the team easier.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:56 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Scott Gomez was one of the best to bring the puck in the offensive zone.

The problem, is when he enters it, he doesnt know what to do with it. And most of the time he lost it.

He's fast, strong on his skate and a good player to have in the locker room (never made problem, is a joker). He can play on the PK. But cannot do a lot in the O'Zone.

I think it can be a good depth player for 1M$ and less if you have a big and speedy team. If you have a slow and small team, dont touch him.

He can play on a 3rd-4th line with 2nd vague PK tmie. And help you on the PP if you have injuries.

Hes not completely useless, he knows the game and won a cup. The problem is that in Montreal, he was getting 7,3M$ and the pressure was too much for him. He cant be your 1st-2nd line center.
I agree. I always thought he was great between the blue lines, but that was pretty much it.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:58 PM
giddy up*

Why wouldn't the isles buy out Dipietro?

you can't buy out a player who is injured. DP is miraculously not hurt right now. He will get hurt this year at some point and if its bad Isles can't buy him out. I know we need him for the cap floor this year but if we buy him out today he will still be on the cap for this year. I know Isles never spend to the cap but we might want to some time in the next 10 years so buy him out now and be done with it. Isles have a young team with a bright future and don't need the albatross contract prohibiting them from making moves in 2016.
. There's huge risk even if it was a player who is 100% healthy. A freak accident. Anything. And we pay him for 10 more years and against the cap that could cost us a top free agent in the future. This is a one time get out of jail free card. To make his contract disappear forever. Teams with money wouldn't think twice about it but Wang will never pay rick for the next 18 years for him not to play.

Lets look at it from a hockey perspective only, and tell me if there is any reason not to do this.

Or am I missing something?

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post

you can't buy out a player who is injured. DP is miraculously not hurt right now. He will get hurt this year at some point and if its bad Isles can't buy him out. I know we need him for the cap floor this year but if we buy him out today he will still be on the cap for this year. I know Isles never spend to the cap but we might want to some time in the next 10 years so buy him out now and be done with it. Isles have a young team with a bright future and don't need the albatross contract prohibiting them from making moves in 2016.
. There's huge risk even if it was a player who is 100% healthy. A freak accident. Anything. And we pay him for 10 more years and against the cap that could cost us a top free agent in the future. This is a one time get out of jail free card. To make his contract disappear forever. Teams with money wouldn't think twice about it but Wang will never pay rick for the next 18 years for him not to play.

Lets look at it from a hockey perspective only, and tell me if there is any reason not to do this.

Leafs, Rangers, Habs, etc would have him gone by tomorrow morning if that is what you are asking.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

Isn't there a very defined timeframe for "normal" buyouts? If the Isles could do a "normal" buyout of RDP - that makes total sense. (As much as $1.5M for the next 18 years makes sense!)

My point is that there is NO chance that Wang "amnesty" buys-out RDP, because in that case he wouldn't get "credit" for the $25+M he'd be paying RDP over the next 18 years against the cap. If Wang's writing a $1.5M check per year, he's going to want to get credit for that against the cap floor.

Hopefully when the Isles make it to Brooklyn, this will stop being an issue. If the Isles were REALLY confident that would change in the near future, it would probably be worthwhile to amensty buy out RDP, but that's a long shot IMO.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
And to me that is more cap circumvention than leaving a player in the minors who sucks. With what the Isles are doing, they are basically gaming the cap.
I don't know of it's more or less, but it's well established that the Isles are egregious circumventers of the cap.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:05 PM
bleedgreen

no one else will be bought out aside from these two. having it count the way it will makes it a fairly useless move. no one will benefit from doing it now.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:06 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I'd have to disagree on the "gaming the cap". Bottom line - the NHLPA is guaranteed a certain % of HRR, and the Isles are paying RDP his $4.5M per year.

You're point is that the Isles aren't icing a $44M cap team, because they're wasting 10% of that on RDP and not getting their "money's worth" for it. While I agree that is true - the cap wasn't really about enforcing parity via having "market value" contracts. Because if it was - the Flyers would be "gaming the cap" because they're getting a top 10 player in the league in Giroux for $3.75M, or about half of what he is actually worth. It definetely sucks for Isles fans, but hopefully with the move to Brooklyn the budget will be positively impacted and they'll be able to make good hockey moves instead of cap floor related moves.

I have less issue with the Isles having RDP on the cap for $4.5M, than last year them having Nino on the roster with a $3.8M cap hit for impossible bonuses.
I believe most NYI fans agree with you. The positive of the new CBA is that Wang can't use the bonuses to reach the cap as he has been doing.

In reality, DP should be bought out but it will not happen. Insurance has paid most of DP's contract to date.

Even though, I believe Wang will start spending money by next year.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Not sure why a Hawks fan would be happy to see Gomez go to the Canucks.

Gomez was on an awful deal at $7.5M and a large hindrance for a cap team. That does not mean Gomez is an awful player. He's still a good fringe second/third liner and I'm willing to bet his production will go up with the expectations of playing as a $7.5M player gone.

If he signs for under $2M he will be a good value for any team that picks him up.
You clearly have never watched Montreal. Believe me, Gomez is beyond abysmal. Lapierre would be a better second line center. Gomez has only one skill left at the NHL level: speed. He can gain the zone but will inevitably be absolutely manhandled off the puck, has absolutely no vision or puck awareness, gets out of position constantly and on the astronomically rare occasion he takes a shot, it will hit the goalie's logo every bloody time. There is a reason it took over a year for him to score one damn goal.

Raymond - Gomez - Kassian

Good god...

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
In reality, DP should be bought out but it will not happen. Insurance has paid most of DP's contract to date.
Has it? To my knowledge, DiPietro has never been on IR. I don't see why insurance would be paying out on a player who hasn't classified by their employer as being injured.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:14 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:

Your missing that Wang isn't likely going to pay him 24 million dollars to make him just go away.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Has it? To my knowledge, DiPietro has never been on IR. I don't see why insurance would be paying out on a player who hasn't classified by their employer as being injured.
DP was on IR last year and I believe a couple times before that as well.

Edit: a quick google check I found 2010,2011,2012, DP being placed on IR. I can imagine more as well

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote