HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles claim Thomas Hickey (D) off Waivers

Old
01-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

vCash: 500
Scott pellerin is very familiar with hickey also. Was on coaching staff with Manchester for all of his games.

Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Knish Of The Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Great pickup by Snow, let's turn these two pickups into diamonds! Haley is on waivers today too, think Snow will grab him next?
It's like Dumb & Dumber when they keep picking up hitch hikers.
PICK 'EM UP!
Mock si, ing si, bird si, si si!

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
As waiver wire pickups go, this is a good one - kind of analogous to Grabner. He's got a good pedigree (high 1st round pick). He seems to check the good personality/leadership boxes. He's coming from an org with a stacked D where there was no room for him (as opposed to just stinking up the joint somewhere else). And his AHL record shows a trajectory of improvement. As a bonus, he fits in very well on the 3rd pairing as a smallish LH puck-mover with big RH Carkner.

We'll see how it turns out, but no complaints today.

Hopefully this Thomas Hickey's time on LI and in NY ends up better than this Thomas Hickey's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hickey_(soldier)

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Never seen him play except for world juniors. My only question is his size. If he is really 5'10, this is another smallish defenseman. I know its waiver wire, people shouldnt get that excited. His minor league experience should help, thats what gives him the edge over any of our current AHL Dmen. Let see what happens, im still pissed about Vis.
Same here only saw the Juniors. Here is what Hockey Future says:
Hickey's strong suit is his skating ability and he exudes confidence on and off the ice. He plays bigger than his 5'11, 185-pound frame might suggest. A well-spoken player with great on-ice vision. Uses his skating ability to move the puck out of the zone and pressure the opposition's forwards up-ice. Might develop into a future powerplay quarterback.
He gets a 6.5 rating and a C grade for whatever that is worth.
If he doesn't make the cut he cost the Islanders nothing. He did come from a winning environments with both the Kings and Monarchs which I tend to put a lot of stock in.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:15 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Scott Pellerin was an assistant for six seasons with Manchester so I would assume he knows a great deal about Hickey and his game. Even though Hickey will be on LI for now, it's good to have a familiar face in the organization in addition to Tavares and Moulson, etc.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

I know he may not be the same player, but here's him getting drafted:

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

I like this.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Yup.

This team still needs another top-4.

Streit-Hamonic
MacDonald-Martinek
Hickey-Carkner
Finley

Donovan/Ness stay in the minors. Either Visnovsky reports or Garth trades for a top-4 defenseman, and Martinek goes back to being the 7th. At least there's more depth in this position now, claiming Hickey and Finley will help more than hurt.
Not necessarily. Martinek has a dormant offensive game. AMac on his flank will allow him to play more in the offensive zone. Everyone remember when he went out of character and took a rush up the ice for a beautiful goal a few years back? Combine his smart defense with an awakened offensive game and we're not that bad. Physical D, two puck rushers, a young two way guy with all the tools, two physical defensemen (one stay at home) and we have something. Not GREAT but a decent mix.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:00 PM
damacles1156

Kings fan here that watches a lot of Manchester games live.

Hickey is not 5'10" he is 6ft trust me, he is also about 195 pounds. The guy is not small.

Hickey changed his game a Two years ago. He plays more like Rob Scuderi now, Right place, Right time, Correct hockey play ETC.

He does use his skating when he needs too, but he ditched that flashy puck moving crud.

Hickey understood that if he is going to play in the NHL, he had to evolve his game.

personally I think he was Manchester's best and most steady Defensive player(last two years).

But the Kings management is in love with Jake Muzzin's overrated Size. So they did not invite Hickey to camp.

Take it for what's it worth (my opinion that is). I will watch some NYI games now.

Good luck Hickey.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Kings fan here that watches a lot of Manchester games live.

Hickey is not 5'10" he is 6ft trust me, he is also about 195 pounds. The guy is not small.

Hickey changed his game a Two years ago. He plays more like Rob Scuderi now, Right place, Right time, Correct hockey play ETC.

He does use his skating when he needs too, but he ditched that flashy puck moving crud.

Hickey understood that if he is going to play in the NHL, he had to evolve his game.

personally I think he was Manchester's best and most steady Defensive player(last two years).

But the Kings management is in love with Jake Muzzin's overrated Size. So they did not invite Hickey to camp.

Take it for what's it worth (my opinion that is). I will watch some NYI games now.

Good luck Hickey.
Thanks a lot for the report. I wonder if Hickey will be in the scrimmage tomorrow at the coli? I'd like to see him play

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Not necessarily. Martinek has a dormant offensive game. AMac on his flank will allow him to play more in the offensive zone. Everyone remember when he went out of character and took a rush up the ice for a beautiful goal a few years back? Combine his smart defense with an awakened offensive game and we're not that bad. Physical D, two puck rushers, a young two way guy with all the tools, two physical defensemen (one stay at home) and we have something. Not GREAT but a decent mix.
Actually... I can't believe I'm saying this... but I'm starting to feel pretty good about this defense. A few things will need to happen, but all of them are actually possible, IMO.

First off I expect Streit to play with Martinek on the 2nd pairing. I think this is actually smart, because it separates our two best defenders(Hamonic/Streit) and "spreads the wealth" a bit. I think the 3 main things that need to happen are 1)Hamonic needs to take that next step and cement himself as a top-pairing guy, 2) Streit needs to return to pre-injury form, where he was arguably a pretty good #2, and 3)Martinek needs to stay healthy.

#3 might be the most farfetched, but still possible. If these things happen, we should be OK. AMac and Hamonic have proven to be solid, and have proven they can eat up big minutes. That Streit-Martinek pairing could actually be pretty damn good, again depending on the two things I mentioned. That leaves the 3rd pairing with Carkner-Hickey/?. I think it's entirely possible for a guy like Hickey to get his change of scenery and establish himself as a reasonable #5 or 6. Honestly, that's all we will need him to be as long as these other guys come through.

Obviously Visnovsky would help a lot, but at this point I don't think it would be the end of the world if he doesn't come over.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:09 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Its fine. Frankly, I would rather take the flier on Hickey, Finley and see if something reasonable develops, rather than rush Donovan, Ness, or Reinhart. Most of the other blueline prospects are years out (Mayfield, Pokka, Pelch to name some of them)

Having Visnovsky out has left us in a tough spot. Martinek has the propensity for getting hurt, so we can't have too many defenders.

Also — keep in mind that if Viz does eventually show, and depending on where we are at the deadline.... point is, guys like Viz and Streit could be moved and we will need bodies.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Well Wade Redden was just bought out, the Islanders can sign him to be our top Dman!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:17 PM
StrongIslanders90

I am just one set of eyes but for whats its worth at the team practice today I liked what I saw from Finley....It is just practice but his skating is not as bad as some would say...

I see Hickey as the #5-6 dman and Finley as the 7th dman

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:22 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I am just one set of eyes but for whats its worth at the team practice today I liked what I saw from Finley....It is just practice but his skating is not as bad as some would say...

I see Hickey as the #5-6 dman and Finley as the 7th dman
I think we are in decent shape that way.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
CodeE

Great pickup.

I've read the thread in the trade forums and I'm not seeing the typical "lol good luck with his piece of crap" sour grapes nonsense from Kings fans. Really have a good feeling about this kid succeeding on the Island.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Well Wade Redden was just bought out, the Islanders can sign him to be our top Dman!!
I wouldn't be opposed to this at all actually. Not as top pairing and not for anything above league minimum for one year.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Great pickup.

I've read the thread in the trade forums and I'm not seeing the typical "lol good luck with his piece of crap" sour grapes nonsense from Kings fans. Really have a good feeling about this kid succeeding on the Island.
Same. I am basing my feelings on the Kings fans reaction because I'm not familiar with is play. So far, most seem upset to see him go and all agree him not being an NHLer is mostly due to the defensive depth in their system. I'm actually excited to see him play now.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Great pickup.

He was stuck behind more developed players in LA so this is good. I am curious who passed on him before we could take him considering we had picked Finley earlier.

An earlier poster said he has shifted to a more conservative game, though I remember a good puckhandler his draft year, definitely a puck moving defenseman. I still think this is now Hickey vs Ness for a roster spot, but will see.

I am very OK with getting him this way. I am still confused about burning a pick on Ness, but that is history. I hope Hickey works out.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 01-15-2013 at 04:59 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:44 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
He was stuck behind more developed players in LA so this is good. I am curious who passed on him before we could take him considering we had picked Finley earlier.
An earlier poster said he has shifted to a more conservative game, though I remember a good puckhandler his draft year, definitaly a puck moving defenseman. I still think this is now Hickey vs Ness for a roster spot, but will see.

I am very OK with getting him this way. I am still confused about burning a pick on Ness, but that is history. I hope Hickey works out.
The Order doesnt reset when you pick someone off waivers. So The teams that passed on him were, Columbus, Edmonton and Montreal.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:46 PM
DaAnimal

Happy for Hickey. I'm happy that he went to the islanders (I knew you guys would claim him). Hopefully you guys will develop him better than we did. I hope he turns out to be another moulsonesk player. Hopefully he cracks your roster!

DaAnimal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

One possibly exciting thing about Hickey is how motivated he will probably be coming into camp. Going from a situation where he basically knows that he won't be playing in the NHL, to a situation where there's a spot virtually his for the taking. I see him coming in fired up. Could be the right situation for a kid like this.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
The Order doesnt reset when you pick someone off waivers. So The teams that passed on him were, Columbus, Edmonton and Montreal.
Thanks!

And +1 to what Blinkman said. I hope he takes the ball and runs with it hard.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:58 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Thanks!

And +1 to what Blinkman said. I hope he takes the ball and runs with it hard.
I think we will have a pleasent suprise. Come-on Karma owes us one!

Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

This is definitely a huge opportunity for Hickey. He essentially takes the place of what was expected out of Calvin de Haan and it's funny how similar their games are. Both drafted as high end PMD's, evolved into smart, positionally strong KISS type of players.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote