HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 01:24 PM
sheed36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I think he will be a UFA in three years, will he not?
I thought it was 4 years but maybe it is 3.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Shaby23

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
PK vs Tyler Myers, who's better ?
Depends on which board you are asking that question. Eveyone on Mtl will say P.K. and and for Buff, Myers.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I thought it was 4 years but maybe it is 3.
It is 4, he is just coming off his ELC.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Or that he wants 6+ years and the Habs only want to give him 2.
That's why I think he will sign, in 2-3 weeks, a one year deal worth 4,5M$. Personally I am still wishing for 2 years at 4M$ per season. I really hope Bergevin sticks with his plan.

PS as other posters already mentioned, Meehan thinks PK’s presence at Saturday’s game is doubtful.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:05 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
We would be guaranteed another high pick to compliment Galchenyuk with that top 6/7. PK brings a physical element that is underrated and very much lacking in our D (aside from Emelin obviously, and Gorges at times).

Also, even if Markov stays healthy, I'm not comfortable with Emelin on the top pair nor Bouillon or Diaz playing top 4 in case of injury.
The reality of the strength of the Habs lies in their defence,isn't a reality yet.Markov hasn't played for three years,PK still hasn't reached his potential,Gorges and Bouillon are the two vets so to speak,leaving Emelin and Diaz starting their sophomore seasons.Taking away PK for any length of time will leave the Habs in much the same shape they were in last season,the smart move by the team isn't to rush Galchenyuk into a losing situation and work hard at signing PK to a longer term at dollars that make sense,not money based on what player he may or may not become.The Habs reached a low point last season but I believe the Habs may have another 2-3 yrs.of mediocrity before their prospects are ready to make them a playoff team again. Bergevin has his work cut out for him much as Brian Burke did when he joined the Maple Leafs.As Hab fans all we can do is stand by our team while their young players learn their trade.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I think he will be a UFA in three years, will he not?
No sir, he'll be a UFA after he turns 27 so in 4 years

Quote:
As of 2008, any player whose contract has expired can declare himself an unrestricted free agent if he is at least 27 years old or has at least seven years of service as an NHL player.
source

Old
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
No sir, he'll be a UFA after he turns 27 so in 4 years

source
July 2016 under both scenarios...7 years NHL or 27.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Why is he different? That's what I'm failing to understand. Why shouldn't he get a bridge contract? Why should he get everything he wants? "Give him his money"... I disagree. Yes, he's important to the team but that doesn't mean he gets to hold us hostage either.
What's the matter anyway with the bridge contract? Keep the tradition a GM who was ran out of town because of his ineptitude put into place? Because that's how we dealt with Price and Pac, we MUST do the same with Subban? Even if we risk ruining the team spirit and eventually make him turn against us? The longer this situation drags out, the worst it is. Plus, the longer we make him wait, the better are the odds of ending up overpaying. Subban know what he's worth, and he knows what he represents to this team, on the ice as well as marketing wise. He's the one with the most leverage here. Even if he's a RFA, our current D situation doesn't allow us to play without Subban - if the management really want to have a winning team, that is.

After all the rumble on how the Habs are a proud team and need to turn it around to become a winning team again, what's the message you send to the fans when you come into the season without your best defenseman because of some procedure that has to be respected? Why do we HAVE to do it this way anyway? It worked well for Pac, but it could be argued that Price has been overpaid a bit. Why do you feel the need to defend what Gauthier thought was the best for this team, and yet he ended up dragging us into the draft lottery. Why is it preferable to give him a bridge contract? The odds are he'll get a much bigger pay day after these two years, so why not go for the long term now?

Oh, right. Because that's not how Gauthier managed the team.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Capitano

I think PK signing before the year or not will tell me a lot. If we sign him before the start then we're going for a playoff spot with the rest of the teams after the top 4 in the East.

If we don't sign him before the year then we're going to throw the season away and start scouting for the top 5 pick we'll get.

Just my $0.02

Old
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

so what are the chances of him playing saturday? got a draft tomorrow should I take him? or is he not expected to suit up saturday?

Old
01-15-2013, 02:41 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
so what are the chances of him playing saturday? got a draft tomorrow should I take him? or is he not expected to suit up saturday?
Magic 8 ball's guess is as good as anybody's

Old
01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
Depends on which board you are asking that question. Eveyone on Mtl will say P.K. and and for Buff, Myers.
It's not just Sabre fans. While impartial commentators rate Subban highly they also rate Karlsson as one of the best players in the NHL, much higher on the list than Subban. They aren't all prejudiced or intolerant of Subban's personal style. It's time we were more objective,

Old
01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
yianik

PK reminds me of Chris Chelios. He is has a good motor, good shot, passing is decent, can hit and has an edge. However, he is not Chris Chelios, his hockey sense needs to go up as does his defensive play. But he certainly has real potential to be an elite D-man.
These negotiations are frustrating, in part, because nothing has leaked except there are issues with money and term, gee. I want a 2 year deal because it will give the Habs 2 remaining years of RFA status to leverage into a long term deal, and the 2 years should show us what PK is capable of and then we pay accordingly. I would love to know what is gumming up the works, is PK looking for elite player money now over lots of years or is MB stuck at $6M over 2 , etc. I dont want to lose PK, if he is a Number 1 D-man, those are about the hardest guys to come across. But based on what PK has shown so far you just cant throw Doughty money at him, it would be reckless. I guess the most I would do is say if he was elite he would get $7-8M per as a UFA. Since he hasnt shown that yet I will go $6M. As an RFA I will say $4.5M for 4 years, thats $18M. Two years of UFA is another $12M, so $30M over 6 years. Id rather wait the 2 years and look at paying him more, but if PK is hell bent on a long term deal then this is what i would offer.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:49 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It's not just Sabre fans. While impartial commentators rate Subban highly they also rate Karlsson as one of the best players in the NHL, much higher on the list than Subban. They aren't all prejudiced or intolerant of Subban's personal style. It's time we were more objective,
Actually, the most objective fans you can get (the micro stats kinda guys) have a higher average opinion than most fans on this board. Just ask Talks with Goalposts.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Andy

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
From #Habs @PKSubban1 agent Don Meehan, via text message: "No news to report today. We are not close to an agreement."

Old
01-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
From #Habs @PKSubban1 agent Don Meehan, via text message: "No news to report today. We are not close to an agreement."
Well this could get ugly.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
DJ Breadman

I can't blame MB on this one so far PK's demands sound a little bit outragous(that's if the reports are to be believed)

Old
01-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
7 months later and they are still holding their grounds ? (I am sure they talked together during the lockout).

Wow. It's getting worse than the NHL vs NHLPA conflict.

Right now, PK is badly advised by his agent.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Andy

I wonder who is taking a bigger risk here by holding out, Subban or Bergevin. The last thing the habs need is to trade Subban. Will set this team back.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
PK reminds me of Chris Chelios. He is has a good motor, good shot, passing is decent, can hit and has an edge. However, he is not Chris Chelios, his hockey sense needs to go up as does his defensive play. But he certainly has real potential to be an elite D-man.
These negotiations are frustrating, in part, because nothing has leaked except there are issues with money and term, gee. I want a 2 year deal because it will give the Habs 2 remaining years of RFA status to leverage into a long term deal, and the 2 years should show us what PK is capable of and then we pay accordingly. I would love to know what is gumming up the works, is PK looking for elite player money now over lots of years or is MB stuck at $6M over 2 , etc. I dont want to lose PK, if he is a Number 1 D-man, those are about the hardest guys to come across. But based on what PK has shown so far you just cant throw Doughty money at him, it would be reckless. I guess the most I would do is say if he was elite he would get $7-8M per as a UFA. Since he hasnt shown that yet I will go $6M. As an RFA I will say $4.5M for 4 years, thats $18M. Two years of UFA is another $12M, so $30M over 6 years. Id rather wait the 2 years and look at paying him more, but if PK is hell bent on a long term deal then this is what i would offer.
That's nice and all, but I doubt Subban signs for an average of 5M per if Myers, who's generally considered as an inferior defenseman, get's 5,5M.

I'd go for 7/40M.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
I wonder who is taking a bigger risk here by holding out, Subban or Bergevin. The last thing the habs need is to trade Subban. Will set this team back.
He won't trade him. He will just let him sit at home for the rest of the season. PK and his agent cannot do nothing. He won't be UFA before another 5 years.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
That's nice and all, but I doubt Subban signs for an average of 5M per if Myers, who's generally considered as an inferior defenseman, get's 5,5M.

I'd go for 7/40M.
It's not because the Sabres crazy owner accepted to give that fat contract to Myers that Bergevin and Molson have to do the same.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Et le But

Quote:
We need Subban far more than he needs the Habs. And I'm sure Meehan knows that.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Listened to Don Meehan on HC talk about the PK negotiations, it is definitely about wanting more money and term than Bergevin wants to offer. He said that they were far apart. I know he will eventually get signed but just for fun, who out there on a NHL roster would you trade PK for, straight up player for player?
David Krejci and both fanbases and HF Boards explode.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

I hope Bergevin makes him sit all year. PK is being dumb now.

If PK thinks he's better and more important to his team than Del Zotto is with the Rangers then why did Del Zotto have the same production (or slightly more) than PK while PK had more icetime and PP time?

3M/y for 2 years. Then, if you deserve it, you'll get your big contract.

Hey PK, you're popular but you're not a God yet. Smarten up, kid.

Closed Thread