HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Mouse21*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Except for the part about the Avs finishing 29th or 30th in the league. They need to make the playoffs this season.
that would actually be a great thing.
this team certainly isnt going to make the playoffs with or without O'Reilly imo.

so we might as well get a great player out of it.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:35 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Imagine if Management actually planned this. Told factor to stay over there, make a big deal out of it claiming they're missing a huge piece. The team sucks, avs draft denver's own in jones, radar comes back, Joe Sakic becomes head coach, New uniforms announced, new marketing plan, Corey Perry signs and bam stanley cup.

I cant believe i figured out the chain of events. I'm a genius
I'm down....

McGinn - Stasnty - Perry

Landeskog - Duchene - Parenteau

Downie - O'Reilly - Jones

McLeod - Mitchell - Subasew

Jones - EJ

Hejda - O'Byrne

SOB - Barrie/Elliott

On a serious note... I do think we need one more top 5 pick to finish the rebuild. (And yes I understand how important it is to improve and make the playoffs for experience. I'm still rooting for that but I'm not going to be to upset if we draft in the top 5 this year.)

Old
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
So when Meehan says they had two lawyers talking with Sherman yesterday, is he just referring to two of the other agents at his firm? I thought Mark Guy was the only one handling O'Reilly's negotiations.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Is all of that before or after we trade Hunwick for Crosby?
dude. dont mess with my chain of events. If you go throwing crap like this out there people will think it's a joke.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
So when Meehan says they had two lawyers talking with Sherman yesterday, is he just referring to two of the other agents at his firm? I thought Mark Guy was the only one handling O'Reilly's negotiations.
I haven't followed Meehan's comments much, but I keep seeing them pop up, and after this one you just pointed out I'm starting to wonder if he, or someone else in the firm took over negotiations. Why is he making so many comments, rather than letting Mark Guy do the talking?

Maybe Ryan smartened up, and asked for new representation without publicly firing him?

Old
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I haven't followed Meehan's comments much, but I keep seeing them pop up, and after this one you just pointed out I'm starting to wonder if he, or someone else in the firm took over negotiations. Why is he making so many comments, rather than letting Mark Guy do the talking?

Maybe Ryan smartened up, and asked for new representation without publicly firing him?
That would be good.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

Maybe Ryan smartened up, and asked for new representation?
Meehan founded the agency and Mark Guy just works for him. That's probably why Sportsnet had him on instead of Guy. They asked him about the new CBA and I think he might be the one directly involved in the Subban negotiations.

I think we're reading too much into every little comment that is made but like someone mentioned earlier, Meehan said Subban's deal isn't close and it doesn't seem like he'll be playing Saturday. When asked about O'Reilly, he said there has been constant communication, two lawyers had discussions with Sherman yesterday, and when they asked him about O'Reilly playing on Saturday he said he has his fingers and toes crossed.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I'm down....
Fixed below. McCloud and Kobi would be gone.

Landeskog - Duchene - Parenteau
Downie - O'Reilly - Perry
McGinn - Statsny - Jones
Olver - Mitchell - Sgarbossa

Jones - EJ
Hejda - O'Byrne
SOB - Barrie/Elliott

Old
01-15-2013, 02:56 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Ugh just reading this hurts :
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1423

Can everyone just smarten up and get an 8 yr 35 M deal done?

Old
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Meehan founded the agency and Mark Guy just works for him. That's probably why Sportsnet had him on instead of Guy. They asked him about the new CBA and I think he might be the one directly involved in the Subban negotiations.

I think we're reading too much into every little comment that is made but like someone mentioned earlier, Meehan said Subban's deal isn't close and it doesn't seem like he'll be playing Saturday. When asked about O'Reilly, he said there has been constant communication, two lawyers had discussions with Sherman yesterday, and when they asked him about O'Reilly playing on Saturday he said he has his fingers and toes crossed.
I know it's meehan's agency, and I was definitely reading into it, but from appearances Mark Guy was the one directly involved in O'Reilly's negotiations. Seems like Meehan would be involved to an extent, but let Guy make the comments since he's Ryan's agent. Or maybe not. Just an optimistic thought form me for a change.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
TOGuy14

Leaf fan popping in here looking to ask a couple questions for Avs fans:

What kind of salary would you say is the limit you would be willing to offer ROR? $3M? -$4M?

Second, if his price is too high whatever that may be in your eyes, what are the needs of this team right now if you had to make a deal around ROR?

Old
01-15-2013, 02:59 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post

What kind of salary would you say is the limit you would be willing to offer ROR? $3M? -$4M?

Second, if his price is too high whatever that may be in your eyes, what are the needs of this team right now if you had to make a deal around ROR?
I'd go up to $4M and we need a top pairing defenseman.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

For me personally, I'd say $4M on a 2 or 3 year deal would be my max. $4.5M on a 4 or 6 plus year, but I wouldn't be happy with it. Not really interested in a five year that takes him right up to his UFA age, unless it's $3.5M or less, but I don't think O'Reilly does that number for that long.

An established scoring D, with at least an average defensive game that allows him to play on the top pairing with EJ, is what the Avs need. There aren't a whole lot of D available out there though that would make the Avs very interested, if they're giving him up in return. That's probably why they may be reconsidering keeping O'Reilly.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Avalanche
@imlouied

Quote:

Bozak and a 2nd

Old
01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
EdAVSfan

I still dont get this from OReilly's camp.

If youre touting yourself as one of the best defensive prospects in the last 25 years, and your offensive progression is upwards...

Essentially, if youre able to show 70+ point production, youre in line for possibly, 6+ M, multi year deal in just a couple of years.

Dont hockey players always think they have even more to show and thus, more to earn when they show it.

I cant fathom that OReilly and his agency believe he is worth 5M on a multi year deal already.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I don't know why anyone here would want a three year deal. He gets arbitration rights, take one year and is a UFA. With his actions these negotiations there is no way he should be given that chance.

Either two years and then lock him up after that or a 5+ year deal. There isn't any middle ground.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

I'm not sure the Leafs really have the pieces that we would want in return no matter how much their fans try to convince us otherwise.

Gardiner + is probably the start with maybe another sweetener added in.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I don't know why anyone here would want a three year deal. He gets arbitration rights, take one year and is a UFA. With his actions these negotiations there is no way he should be given that chance.

Either two years and then lock him up after that or a 5+ year deal. There isn't any middle ground.
That seems to have been Sherman's MO from the get-go. The two offers were 17 mill/5 years or 7 mill/2 years.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I'm not sure the Leafs really have the pieces that we would want in return no matter how much their fans try to convince us otherwise.

Gardiner + is probably the start with maybe another sweetener added in.
Ewww. You must have missed his concussion and the fact that he is not exactly stellar defensively just yet.

That sweetener better be atleast their unprotected 1st+

Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
The two offers were 17 mill/5 years or 7 mill/2 years.
Source?

Old
01-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Source?
Dater.....

Quote:
O'Reilly's latest offer from the Avs is the same Matt Duchene signed with the team last summer: two years, $7 million, the sources said. O'Reilly turned down a five-year, $17 million offer last summer.
Quote:
O'Reilly is looking for more in the neighborhood of $5 million per year. Both the Avalanche and O'Reilly's agent, Mark Guy, had no public comment on the negotiations, though Guy confirmed the sides still are talking.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:21 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Source?
I think from the recent Denver Post article

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...mpaign=twitter

Old
01-15-2013, 03:24 PM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

I haven't been keeping up with the thread for a couple pages, so I don't know if someone had the same thought already, but I was thinking about one possible positive angle (for Av's fans) about the stuff TPS mentioned at the beginning of the thread. If things really broke down and got a little bit ugly way back last summer/fall, then Sherman has had a long time to cool down, mull it over, take a deeper look, and consider and carefully plan his options. He may have put out some quiet feelers for months now to gauge what others feel Ryan is worth, and then replotted his course.

I have no doubt the KHL signing was a big surprise that drastically changed the light of things, and there has only been about 5 weeks since then, and I'm sure the whole issue has been hotly discussed since then. But they kind of have known for a long time where his demands were, and I'm sure they did a thorough analysis what they think he is worth to the franchise, and what he might fetch if they can't reach an agreement.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I'd go up to $4M and we need a top pairing defenseman.
Yep same here. I'd go 4M for as many years as the kid wants.

And if we have to trade him it's got to be for a #2 defenseman to play with Erik Johnson, whether we have to add or not.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
Any time any player might be traded you can count on the leafs buzzards to circle the thread.

And I don't mind overpaying a little. Stazz gets overpayed by a lot more. Only a few teams would be playing hardball with a 21 year old player that has gotten better every year and is one of the best two way centers who has to take on other teams 1st line centers game in game out. Avs will never serious contend for the cup if they keep hugging the cap floor.

Closed Thread