HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXX

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Avsboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I'd look at Gomez if we knew that ROR wouldn't be back this season.
You forgot the emoticon

Old
01-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Well, TFP is saying 5 teams have already shown interest in Gomez, all from the West.

Could easily see us going after him, slotting him in on the 3rd line if ROR isn't back, and heck even if ROR comes back and Gomez is playing decent we could use him on our 3rd or 4th line.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:03 PM
JoemAvs

Regardless where he goes, it will be a weird feeling seeing Gomez out there... You might really have to judge him by his play and not his play in comparison to his contract.
Help I am not used to this. And Redden too?

I need some continuity. Bring ROR back....

Old
01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Well, TFP is saying 5 teams have already shown interest in Gomez, all from the West.

Could easily see us going after him, slotting him in on the 3rd line if ROR isn't back, and heck even if ROR comes back and Gomez is playing decent we could use him on our 3rd or 4th line.
You got to think the Yotes are a front runner in that one.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:28 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Don't bring in Gomez, the guy is washed up. What could he possibly bring to this team? Might as well sign me, I'd be just as bad as him but I'd be on a cheaper contract. You don't regress as hard and fast as him only to rebound to something respectable. Olver, Sgarbossa, Mitchell, Arnott, my dead grandmother, someone elses dead grandmother, Hayley Wickenheiser, and Meghan Agosta, all better options then Scott Gomez. Let the Leafs sign him, their already the laughing stock of the league, they can't get any lower.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:46 AM
PAZ

If RoR doesn't sign i'd rather just accept it and make the best with what we have. Get a better draft pick, and go from there.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
If RoR doesn't sign i'd rather just accept it and make the best with what we have. Get a better draft pick, and go from there.
I don't necessarily think O'Reilly is the difference between making the playoffs, and getting a lottery pick. Look at his first year in the league. I think the team the Avs currently have is better than that one, especially in a short season. Stastny and Duchene, and I'd say Landeskog now too are the keys to playoffs. The last time the Avs made the playoffs, Stastny had 79 points, Duchene 55, and O'Reilly 26. With McGinn and Jones, Stastny's numbers should increase, hopefully to a 70+ pace. Duchene's should almost automatically increase from last season. Those two picking up their games could cover the difference between O'Reilly's 26 points and his 55 points. As for the third line center. Well, John Mitchel should fill in with a 20-30 point pace over the 82 game season.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, or a guarantee the team doesn't miss a beat, but let's face it. The Avs still have two 1-B centers. Last season was a little different with Duchene being hurt, but as long as Duchene and Stastny are healthy, O'Reilly is going to be the third line center.

Avs are bit a spoiled wit three really good centers. Some teams have none, one, or two. If O'Reilly went down with an injury in training camp, would you suddenly be expecting the Avs to be an entirely different team? Look at last season, Duchene was injured for a lot of it, and other players step up with the opportunity. Avs were in the playoff hunt, without Duchene basically, up until the last week or two. It's a short season. Players step up to fill rolls. This will be a lot more sustainable over a shortened season.

That said, even if Sherman doesn't bring in a great defender, I hope he finds a way to bring over a decent puck moving defenceman (Not in an O'Reilly trade).

Last edited by Avs71: 01-16-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old
01-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I don't necessarily think O'Reilly is the difference between making the playoffs, and getting a lottery pick. Look at his first year in the league. I think the team the Avs currently have is better than that one, especially in a short season. Stastny and Duchene, and I'd say Landeskog now too are the keys to playoffs. The last time the Avs made the playoffs, Stastny had 79 points, Duchene 55, and O'Reilly 26. With McGinn and Jones, Stastny's numbers should increase, hopefully to a 70+ pace. Duchene's should almost automatically increase from last season. Those two picking up their games could cover the difference between O'Reilly's 26 points and his 55 points. As for the third line center. Well, John Mitchel should fill in with a 20-30 point pace over the 48 game season.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, or a guarantee the team doesn't miss a beat, but let's face it. The Avs still have two 1-B centers. Last season was a little different with Duchene being hurt, but as long as Duchene and Stastny are healthy, O'Reilly is going to be the third line center.

Avs are bit a spoiled wit three really good centers. Some teams have none, one, or two. If O'Reilly went down with an injury in training camp, would you suddenly be expecting the Avs to be an entirely different team? Look at last season, Duchene was injured for a lot of it, and other players step up with the opportunity. Avs were in the playoff hunt, without Duchene basically, up until the last week or two. It's a short season. Players step up to fill rolls. This will be a lot more sustainable over a shortened season.

That said, even if Sherman doesn't bring in a great defender, I hope he finds a way to bring over a decent puck moving defenceman (Not in an O'Reilly trade).
I think if John Mitchell would get 20 points in 48 games, he'd have a field day let alone 30 points. That would equal roughly a 35 point pace over a full season. [30 points in 48 games equals a 51 point pace]

Scoring is still down league-wide and now with a shortened season where everyone is playing their #1G roughly 40 of those 48 games, it's about to get even worse.

Probably more reasonable to expect 10-15 points from him. [25 point pace]

Old
01-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I think if John Mitchell would get 20 points in 48 games, he'd have a field day let alone 30 points. That would equal roughly a 35 point pace over a full season. [30 points in 48 games equals a 51 point pace]

Scoring is still down league-wide and now with a shortened season where everyone is playing their #1G roughly 40 of those 48 games, it's about to get even worse.

Probably more reasonable to expect 10-15 points from him. [25 point pace]
My bad, I meant over an 82 game season. As in he would get around 20-30 points in a full season and whatever pace that was to expect around that in a 48 game season. Yes, 10-15 points is what to expect from him.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Nihiliste

They could make do without O'reilly only if Stastny and duchene really bounce back and tear it up with increased minutes AND if they find a stopgap 3rd line center by some means who can anchor the PK

Old
01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
They could make do without O'reilly only if Stastny and duchene really bounce back and tear it up with increased minutes AND if they find a stopgap 3rd line center by some means who can anchor the PK
I think Stastny can thrive playing 20+ minutes. Duchene much less so. He's still a player where you have to manage his ice time and opposition a bit more. Perhaps not as much if he's got Landeskog on his line as when he has weaker wingers but still. I wouldn't want to see him play more than 18 minutes a game.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:24 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Stastny getting 20+ minutes would probably help his game. I'd venture to say that he would be back close to a PPG.

Without ROR, my ideal line distribution would be

McGinn-Stastny-Jones ~20-21 min (McGinn would get less with the lack of PK time)
Landeskog-Duchene-PAP 18 min
Hejduk-Mitchell-Downie 14 min
Ginger-Olver-Kobasew 8-9 min (Kobasew would get more with PK time)

Old
01-16-2013, 11:52 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I don't know man, it seems like the Avs and GM Sherman have built this team to roll 3 scoring lines effectively. I mean Hejduk and Downie's talent is SERIOUSLY wasted with Mitchell as their C. (my opinion only on that)

Old
01-16-2013, 12:02 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I don't know man, it seems like the Avs and GM Sherman have built this team to roll 3 scoring lines effectively. I mean Hejduk and Downie's talent is SERIOUSLY wasted with Mitchell as their C. (my opinion only on that)
Agreed, but there will be injuries. Downie can easily step in for Jones or PAP if they get hurt. Hejduk shouldn't be relied on at this point to be a top 6 player, but if he shows it there will also be chances for him to move up as well.

Also, Mitchell isn't a slug offensively. He is pretty decent and with good ice time he could produce 30 points in a 82 game season. He just sucks on the defensive end of the ice.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Redden and Gomez, any takers?

Gomez can still be a solid #3 C at the right price.

And I thought Redden was still decent in the AHL, it was just his contract was dumb?

Old
01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
JeffFingerDiscount

Mile High Hockey's guy at training camp says Wilson left the ice during drills, not injured or anything. Trade imminent?

Old
01-16-2013, 01:45 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffFingerDiscount View Post
Mile High Hockey's guy at training camp says Wilson left the ice during drills, not injured or anything. Trade imminent?
O'Reilly + Wilson for Crosby E5

Old
01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Redden and Gomez, any takers?

Gomez can still be a solid #3 C at the right price.

And I thought Redden was still decent in the AHL, it was just his contract was dumb?
No Gomez. No point in bringing someone who couldn't elevate his game at all in Montreal where they tried anything and everything to get him going again. Redden, already too many dmen so no thanks.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Diarrhea?

Old
01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Gomez if only we know that we won't have ROR or another serviceable #3C.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
There are a million other reasons why he could have left the ice.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Glasscog

Crazy/beneficial scenario: tell O'reilly to stay in Russia and we end up out of the playoffs, end up in 7th or 8th spot on Draft, choose Sean Monahan, and then send out stastny for a #2 dman.

Also hinges on the duchene becoming a true first line center, then O'reilly can become the 2nd line center he should be.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Oh No,We Suck Again!

vCash: 5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasscog View Post
Crazy/beneficial scenario: tell O'reilly to stay in Russia and we end up out of the playoffs, end up in 7th or 8th spot on Draft, choose Sean Monahan, and then send out stastny for a #2 dman.

Also hinges on the duchene becoming a true first line center, then O'reilly can become the 2nd line center he should be.
and what about sean monahan? guy is destined to be a top 6 forward.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Glasscog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
and what about sean monahan? guy is destined to be a top 6 forward.
Center the third line for awhile? We could just work our way to having an extremely gifted top 9.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Diarrhea?
No man. The only time hockey players are allowed to leave is in a trade. We won't even allow them out for food.

Closed Thread