HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks' Training Camp Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Pseudonymous

vCash: 500
Wow Svatos is at florida camp too, i REALLY liked him when he came into this league, wonder what made him go downhill so fast at such a young age

Im surprised Kostitsyn is playing for a contract

I'd take a risk on gomez for the right price

Last edited by Pseudonymous: 01-15-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:36 PM
dirtydangles7*

wow canucks are really beaten up to start the year. Should be two easy wins for Anaheim and Edmonton this weekend

dirtydangles7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
David71

sign gomez to fill the 2c spot when kesler comes back. the second line starting the season will be small/but fast can schroder finish? or is he a playmaker.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:38 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I know they made the right decision but if he came over and produced, who gives a **** about his ELC then.
Well he has never played a NHL game, it's a shortened season. So you burn a whole year of his ELC on a shortened season and I don't think the pay off would be worth it. To burn a year on a ELC is huge, he is one year closer to being a UFA. We don't have very many elite high end prospects, I would rather have him begin his 3 year ELC for a full season. If he comes here and we win a cup then I would be wrong and put my tail between my legs and move to Toronto and become a Leafs fan.

KidCanuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Good news about Booth.

I'd definitely take a flyer on Gomez. Great player.
What the frick are people expecting from Booth? He was Kesler's most effective linemate, drove to the net, provided a tiny bit of grit and was pretty much the ideal winger for Ryan.

He was exactly as advertised. If he had better tools/hockey IQ/skillset he would be a first liner - making upwards of 6M. Sheesh.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Pseudonymous

Theres no harm in giving jensen the 5 games or whatever it is though correct? and evaluating from there

Old
01-15-2013, 03:44 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
Well he has never played a NHL game, it's a shortened season. So you burn a whole year of his ELC on a shortened season and I don't think the pay off would be worth it. To burn a year on a ELC is huge, he is one year closer to being a UFA. We don't have very many elite high end prospects, I would rather have him begin his 3 year ELC for a full season. If he comes here and we win a cup then I would be wrong and put my tail between my legs and move to Toronto and become a Leafs fan.
I totally agree with all points..and you should move to Toronto if you were wrong. I should have highlighted the "If" part. It's going to be a very interesting start to this season that's for sure.

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:44 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Theres no harm in giving jensen the 5 games or whatever it is though correct? and evaluating from there
He's not coming over. Maybe the Canucks could try an emergency recall or something but I doubt they drag him all the way over here for five games.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Too bad Jensen didn't come over because at this point he's literally looking like our best option on the second-line right wing.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Pseudonymous

he'll be getting his 5 games regardless when their season is over correct? i can't see any reason why he wouldn't

when does their season end?

Old
01-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Too bad Jensen didn't come over because at this point he's literally looking like our best option on the second-line right wing.
He's better off development wise staying in Sweden. Let him stay there, lead his team, play a big role and when their regular season ends, ship him back home for the playoffs.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

bump

Old
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Just got home, will be posting update soon.

btw, I'm famous now, a picture of me was posted on twitter

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
bump
Why would you bump this...

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
L4cer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
He's better off development wise staying in Sweden. Let him stay there, lead his team, play a big role and when their regular season ends, ship him back home for the playoffs.
Yeah, if his team doesn't make the playoffs, he's back here in March. If we're still banged up in forwards, he's getting some ice time in the big leagues.

L4cer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Jevo

My thoughts after being there today:

Schroeder was the best of him and Ebbett. Schroeder showed great speed, a good shot, and he was working hard all day. On the contrary Ebbett seemed slow, had a weak shot and didn't seem to work as hard as Schroeder. Based on what I saw, Schroeder should get the 2nd line spot, Schroeder even beat Malhotra on a face-off.

Raymond looked quite good I would say, I didn't see him trip over the blueline at all. But on a serious note, he didn't look bad, he is still Raymond, but I think his strength has improved this year. One time he held off Malhotra and Weise and the boards and got away with the puck.

I like Garison, looked very calm out there, and his shot looks good.

Kassian was underwhelming, looked like he didn't give a 100% in his skating and his shot. But maybe his back has something to do with that.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:58 PM
ferroid

I think there's a bit of overreaction going on here.

We still have an all star first line, sterling goaltending, and an excellent defence. Even with the injury to Booth, we have enough 2-3 line tweeners in Higgins, Raymond, Hansen, and the upcoming Kassian that we can absorb the loss.

Everyone suddenly predicting easy wins for Minnesota and Edmonton is off their rocker; even without Booth and Kesler, this is a great team.

ferroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:00 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I totally agree with all points..and you should move to Toronto if you were wrong. I should have highlighted the "If" part. It's going to be a very interesting start to this season that's for sure.
It's a deal.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Lundface

I'm not expecting much this season. We have good defence and goaltender, but upfront we basically just have the Sedins.

I have no idea where the offence is gonna come from. I don't see us tanking with the d and goaltending we have, but I'm expecting some very boring games this season

Lundface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:02 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
I'm not expecting much this season. We have good defence and goaltender, but upfront we basically just have the Sedins.

I have no idea where the offence is gonna come from. I don't see us tanking with the d and goaltending we have, but I'm expecting some very boring games this season
Lots of low scoring games.
Maybe a 1-4 like NJ lol

Old
01-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Schroeder was the best of him and Ebbett. Schroeder showed great speed, a good shot, and he was working hard all day. On the contrary Ebbett seemed slow, had a weak shot and didn't seem to work as hard as Schroeder. Based on what I saw, Schroeder should get the 2nd line spot, Schroeder even beat Malhotra on a face-off.
The more competitive it gets, the more people will see the divide between Schroeder and Ebbett that was on display in the AHL. It's like comparing Bozak and Grabovski, they might be getting comparable results on the stat sheet but one is doing it with stars carrying him and the other is carrying his line.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Most shocking news of the day: Luongo stopped all 5 shots in the shootout, Schneider let in 4 out of 5.

This probably means nothing, but Higgins was taking faceoff practice with Malhotra at one point. Ebbett and Schroeder didn't take part in it.

- Higgins looked a lot better than yesterday.
- Hansen and Weise looked really good IMO
- Lapierre and Malhotra were solid
- Schroeder started off not too great, but got better as the practice went on. There still isn't a clear cut winner for the 2nd line center spot (although I do think Schroeder is outperforming Ebbett, but AV loves his vets/hates his rookies).
- Kassian didn't impress me today. I'm hoping his back is still hurt because it didn't look like he was hustling much.
- Ballard has been playing pretty well, and I think he could surprise some of us this season.
- Our top guys looked good (Sedins, Burrows, Garrison, Edler, etc...).

- Something that worries me a little bit is Schneider. I know it's just practice, but he was getting beat a lot at times.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
HFCanucks

Here are my thoughts on todays practice. Lots of full line drills and rushes. 4th d pairing played with 3rd line. 3rd D pairing played with second line. Really impressed with Manny and Volpatti today.

Group A (11:00-12:30)
Sedins-Were flying. Playing great hockey. fun to watch.
Burrows-A little rusty. Not quite at game speed yet. Still looks like a lock for first line
Raymond-Skating well but not much happening around him.
Ebbett-Took turns centering the 2nd line. Wasn't able to create very much. Had a better showing yesterday. I Believe he also played wing on the second line on a couple rushes
Schroeder- Appeared to outperfom Ebbett today. Was playing fast and able to get things going around the net. Was given a couple extra shifts at center. Not convinced he can fill in as a #2 center yet. The raymond/schroeder/kassian line looked weak.
Kassian-Eventhough Av said he was "solid" yesterday I didn't think he had a great practice. He was having trouble getting around the ice and just wasn't shooting the puck with much snap. Today he started out flat again, but really picked it up in the second half. It was like he completely changed when they came back out. He was making great plays and being much more physical. At times looked good with Schroeder and Raymond but not at the same time.
Booth-Out. Latest report says 4-6 weeks.
Higgins-Still rusty. Seemed to play a full step below game speed.
Lapierre-Skating well. Has to look for passes on the rush. Was shooting everything
Hansen-Still not up to game speed. Not bad though.
Volpatti-Looks like a lock for the 4th line. Like Weise, he is playing very well. I feel pretty good about the 4th line.
Malhotra-Really picked it up today. He was flying and his shot was on. Good to see manny playing this way again. Although he is probably going to center the 4th line I could see him taking back the 3C spot if he continues to do what he did today
Weise-Another good practice. Not as good as yesterday but still looks in mid season form.
Bieksa-A bad Bieksa day. Turned pucks over and just couldn't get anything going.
Ballard-Looked great. Skating and shooting well. Has developed good chemistry with Tanev. The two of them were able to stabilize the shaky 2nd line. Ballard hasn't lost any speed.
Tanev-Had a solid practice. Made the safe plays. Passed up a couple open shots. Easily #6d. His job is not in jeopardy.
Garrison-Appears to be as advertised. Still skating well. a bit awkward at times with edler but I see no reason why this pairing wont work. They switched sides several times while on offense.
Edler-Good. Still developing chemistry with Garrison. Had some troubles with picking up pucks dumped in deep.
Alberts-Had really good moments and really bad moments. Should be the #7D.
Barker-Didn't stand out in any way. Wouldn't say he is better than our top 6 in any area.
Vandemeer- Wore #24 on his helmet in the morning skate. Much smoother skater than I expected. Would sometimes drift out of position. Still have Corrado and Connauton ahead of him. Although I get the feeling none of the guys in group B will get a shot this year.
Luongo-Good practice. Not as good as Schneider in the cross crease drills but was perfect in the shoot out.
Schneider-Had a very strong practice until the shootout. Was amazed by his ability to stop almost every cross crease 1 timer. Glove hand still looks weak. Maybe he is using a new glove?

HFCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:13 PM
David71

@hfcanucks was edler playing on the rightside? has he gotten used to playing on his off side with garrison?

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
@hfcanucks was edler playing on the rightside? has he gotten used to playing on his off side with garrison?
Yep, playing on the right side.
I don't think he's gotten used to it yet, but I hope he adapts soon because they look good together.