HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Anaheim Ducks 12/13 Training camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
  #326
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,378
vCash: 69
Decided to check out AC again. Didn't take long for the eyes to start rolling.

Quote:
"When goalie Jim Craig backstopped Team USA to a gold medal in Lake Placid, he emerged from the 1980 Winter Olympics as a national hero.

Anaheim Ducks prospect John Gibson received no hero's welcome when he returned home to his junior team earlier this week; even though he captured both MVP and top goalie honors with the gold medal-winning American World Juniors squad.

The main difference between Craig's situation and Gibson's situation is that shortly after the U.S. won the gold medal in 1980, Craig was called up to the NHL's Atlanta Flames. Instantly, he was beloved by fans. Meanwhile, when Gibson returned home, he was reunited with the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League, smack dab in the heartland of Canadian hockey country."
The main difference between Craig and Gibby is Gibby was an MVP for an under 20 hockey tournament that other than in the know hockey fans, is completely obscure to the rest of the world. Craig backstopped a USA upset of the greatest hockey team to ever play on international ice with the entire world watching. There's no comparison there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
What's wrong with Dark Knight? I was only on AD for a while before moving to AC because I knew of no other place. I remember Sojourn was there, Troy Loney wasn't too bad, but letsgoducksdotcom (I believe that was his name) was the worst.
He's an ass on Twitter as well. I remember Dark Knight being a bit of a **** at first, but his behavior on twitter is not the same at all. letsgoducksdotcom is insufferable though.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:43 PM
  #327
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,057
vCash: 500
What is AD?

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:47 PM
  #328
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,378
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
What is AD?
allducks.com

It was the forum that...well...introduced me to forums. It was a pretty good community back in the day, but a few posters came in and killed the vibes with their "superior opinions" and what not. I stopped wanting to post a long time ago. Gave it another try last year, still don't like it.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:49 PM
  #329
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 50
1. Winnik had a monster skate today, he's going to be the best player on that 3rd
line.

2. Bobby seems ready to go. He was very fluid, sharp, and seems to be in excellent shape.

3. Souray was using maybe 30% on the slapshots today and they were very heavy.. So refreshing to have a good point shot again... allthough he will be injuring his own players with it too this year.. (Getz no face sheild)

4. Same old Beleskey.... Bull in a china shop, loves sniping the goalies chest still.

5. Holland had the best look today from the youngsters. Very impressive skill set and hands. Also very good corner work today vs Beauch

6. Honorable mention goes out to Hendry today...


Last edited by DaDucks: 01-15-2013 at 04:09 PM.
DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
  #330
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
allducks.com

It was the forum that...well...introduced me to forums. It was a pretty good community back in the day, but a few posters came in and killed the vibes with their "superior opinions" and what not. I stopped wanting to post a long time ago. Gave it another try last year, still don't like it.
I always hated AD the community is lack for a better word 'retarded'.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:53 PM
  #331
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs
 
davidy2d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
I always hated AD the community is lack for a better word 'retarded'.
Strongly agree.

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
  #332
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
6. Honorable mention out goes out to Hendry today...
Hendry has been pretty good during Hampus's absence. I think he has a real shot to steal that #7 spot.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
  #333
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,378
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
I always hated AD the community is lack for a better word 'retarded'.
They're not as bad as the guys commenting on the Ducks facebook posts. Back in the early Carlyle days it was actually a good forum.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:12 PM
  #334
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,290
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
They're not as bad as the guys commenting on the Ducks facebook posts. Back in the early Carlyle days it was actually a good forum.
Back in the pre-lockout days it was a great forum, but the founder took a step back and left it in the hands of some lousy people. Such as Dark Knight, who turned out to be a psychotic ****.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
  #335
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Decided to check out AC again. Didn't take long for the eyes to start rolling.



The main difference between Craig and Gibby is Gibby was an MVP for an under 20 hockey tournament that other than in the know hockey fans, is completely obscure to the rest of the world. Craig backstopped a USA upset of the greatest hockey team to ever play on international ice with the entire world watching. There's no comparison there.


You are sooo right. This is a prime example of why AC has no credibility. It's not like having a debate over the best player ever or something that involves personal opinion. This simply requires understanding the difference between an historic Olympic (hockey) event (American, true amateurs defeating possibly the best professionals on ice) versus an annual under 20 international tournament. If someone can't see the difference there then I can't give an ounce of credence to their opinion on anything else hockey related. That's why AC is awful. Apparently a room temperature IQ is qualification enough to "write" for them.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
  #336
kducks
Duck Off
 
kducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 20,249
vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
They're not as bad as the guys commenting on the Ducks facebook posts. Back in the early Carlyle days it was actually a good forum.
We have a HF Ducks board group on Facebook...it's been slow lately though

kducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
  #337
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects
 
SupermanPahlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
You are sooo right. This is a prime example of why AC has no credibility. It's not like having a debate over the best player ever or something that involves personal opinion. This simply requires understanding the difference between an historic Olympic (hockey) event (American, true amateurs defeating possibly the best professionals on ice) versus an annual under 20 international tournament. If someone can't see the difference there then I can't give an ounce of credence to their opinion on anything else hockey related. That's why AC is awful. Apparently a room temperature IQ is qualification enough to "write" for them.
To be fair, that was the first time, ever, that Dan Marrazza wrote a piece for Anaheim Calling. Something like that should've been caught by one of the editors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I think SupermanPahlsson is very high on Etem and(correct me if I'm wrong, SP) fully expects him to be a good player in the NHL soon. That's not really the point though, because this isn't rookie camp, it's the team's main training camp. We're looking at Etem as the player he is right now, not the player he will become.
Exactly. Some people think Etem is good enough to play 1st line LW minutes, and that's what irks me. He'll develop into a good player in the vein of Bobby Ryan, but he's not ready yet.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:28 PM
  #338
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects
 
SupermanPahlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Even though there are some disparaging remarks here for AC, some of you have very good hockey insight that would be really valuable there. SB Nation is recognized as one of the best blog platforms (if not the best North American-wide one). Depending on where you want to go with your writing (whether it's just a causal hobby, or you're going into a career in journalism), AC is probably the best place to do it as a Ducks fan. Just saying.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
  #339
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
To be fair, that was the first time, ever, that Dan Marrazza wrote a piece for Anaheim Calling. Something like that should've been caught by one of the editors.

OK, but your just shifting the blame from one person at AC to another. It still makes them look bad. I mentioned earlier on that I've seen too many similar type examples of their work. For me, it's never been about just one person. After a while people don't waste their time hoping to find something good. They move on and remember the bad experience(s).

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:40 PM
  #340
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,038
vCash: 500
Oh, reminiscing of AD. First NA hockey forum for me as well, but in the end, moving on over here was the best thing. It wasn't nearly all bad, and pretty decent for long stretches. It's been quite a few years since, but I always disliked the relatively limited horizon on things beyond the borders of Orange County back then, at least in general. I don't think it's coincidence that a lot of the users that were debating on bigger scales (even when you disagreed with them more often then not) wound up here. Things tended to be looked at in a bit of a microcosm, and only had to make sense within there. Maybe it got better, but that's just the nature of single team boards. It's no different in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
They're not as bad as the guys commenting on the Ducks facebook posts.
Well, that's the last step down the ladder. It's where people leave their comments that do not care or know enough to join a hockey board, in most cases. But I don't know any pro sports team where the facebook comments aren't an absolute trainwreck about every single time.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:45 PM
  #341
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post

Well, that's the last step down the ladder. It's where people leave their comments that do not care or know enough to join a hockey board, in most cases. But I don't know any pro sports team where the facebook comments aren't an absolute trainwreck about every single time.
I find FB to be a trainwreck in it's entirety. But I always thought one of the worst places was the Ducks own board. It is just downright awful.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
  #342
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
To be fair, that was the first time, ever, that Dan Marrazza wrote a piece for Anaheim Calling. Something like that should've been caught by one of the editors.



Exactly. Some people think Etem is good enough to play 1st line LW minutes, and that's what irks me. He'll develop into a good player in the vein of Bobby Ryan, but he's not ready yet.
I also agree. Let him first get 1st line minutes at Norfolk. He hasn't had much PP time nor first pairing line minutes. Once he gets a full season of first line minutes of AHL we will see our prospect prosper. He just hasn't had the chance yet cause of Palms. If palms is called up this year Etem will get the job done guaranteed.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
  #343
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I find FB to be a trainwreck in it's entirety.
Now that you say it that way... Seriously, though, it sure can be, but one can make something good out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
But I always thought one of the worst places was the Ducks own board. It is just downright awful.
Oh, man. I entirely forgot that existed. I'm not to keen on visualizing the little I remember.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:55 PM
  #344
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Now that you say it that way... Seriously, though, it sure can be, but one can make something good out of it.


Oh, man. I entirely forgot that existed. I'm not to keen on visualizing the little I remember.
You're welcome.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:10 PM
  #345
RPGrizzly
Registered User
 
RPGrizzly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I was just spouting off my opinion, and I really think you kind of nailed the reason why it might be better to have an extra forward on the unit instead of two D: Options. How many defensemen do we have that could be considered legitimately dangerous offensively?

Fowler is the only one I'd say has all-around offensive ability to make a difference. After him you've got Souray, Sbisa, and Beauchemin, and with all three we're really looking at them primarily for their shots, and not a whole lot else. To a lesser extent, I think Sbisa could help get things started out of our zone, but he hasn't shown a consistent ability to, well, do anything worthy of mention in the offensive zone.

I'm not a big believer in trying to force a square peg through a round hole, so if we don't have the right D for it, why not use a forward? This is all just a lot of speculation on my part right now, since I don't think we'll really know what the either PP unit can do until they get on the ice and get to work. I just don't think I'd work too hard to keep two defensemen on the ice during the PP if we have forwards who might do the job better.
I know you view Sbisa as a quality defenseman, and your knocks on his offensive game aren't without merit. He's a great skater with very good mobility but when he has the puck on his stick, sometimes it seems like he has tunnel vision. I have the feeling (or maybe just want to feel) that Carlyle put a big leash on Sbisa as in when he would skate the puck out of the d-zone, Randy would pull that leash. When he would pinch, the leash would be tugged. It's when he makes plays like THIS though that make you wonder "why the **** doesn't he do that more often?!"



Luca has the ability to contribute more to the offense, but his overall game just makes him best suitable as a two-way with a little emphasis on playing it safe. At least that's the case even strength.

What the 2nd PP unit has been lacking is a quarterback, someone who can settle things down until the lane is open or find a guy in good scoring position. The only true, proven QB's we have are Fowler and Getzlaf, both playing on the same unit. The only forward who would be effective as the catalyst on the second unit would be Bobby IMO, but his right shot makes it iffy for me because typically you want your shooters on the right side/center. His handedness kind of handcuffs him on the left side in making passes cross ice or for the one timer down low to a righty (Selanne's spot). He's versatile and crafty enough that he can make it work though, we'll see.

There's a lot of questions to be answered and although it's fun to speculate, we'll only find them when the puck is dropped. I think the questions regarding the second unit can all be answered if Luca can show us more, more confidence and patience with the puck, more looking for the open man and less tunnel vision. If he can show those things, I'd be very confident in Beauchemin and Sbisa manning the 2nd unit. You're right though, two shooters backing the PP isn't a good thing. If we don't see more patience from Sbisa and things are looking redundant, maybe put a forward there. I lean on the side of Fowler playing the full two though.

When you face the facts, we lack options (mostly puck distributors) on the PP if things aren't working. That can make it difficult to run two steady and productive units. For this, all we can hope for is all players being utilized correctly and everything just goes right. Some players stepping up into bigger roles wouldn't hurt either.

RPGrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
  #346
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Back in the pre-lockout days it was a great forum, but the founder took a step back and left it in the hands of some lousy people. Such as Dark Knight, who turned out to be a psychotic ****.
Damn I was just about to let the psychotic out.

*Backs away*


I will say one thing I miss about AD was that they generally had pretty good training camp reports. It also seemed like there were more.


I've long given up on two functional PP units. As a budget team, it's just hard to afford them.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:24 PM
  #347
jaytibo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
I didn't read the whole thread but I would like to know who is Palmieri's linemate and will he start the season with the big club?

jaytibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:28 PM
  #348
mighty all the way
Registered User
 
mighty all the way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 1,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytibo View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but I would like to know who is Palmieri's linemate and will he start the season with the big club?
Last I've heard he'll probably be with Perry and Getz to start out at least, and most likely start with the big club. I have him on my fantasy team to pick up those points the he'll get from Perry/Getz and 2nd unit PP time.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
  #349
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,436
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGrizzly View Post
I know you view Sbisa as a quality defenseman, and your knocks on his offensive game aren't without merit. He's a great skater with very good mobility but when he has the puck on his stick, sometimes it seems like he has tunnel vision. I have the feeling (or maybe just want to feel) that Carlyle put a big leash on Sbisa as in when he would skate the puck out of the d-zone, Randy would pull that leash. When he would pinch, the leash would be tugged. It's when he makes plays like THIS though that make you wonder "why the **** doesn't he do that more often?!"



Luca has the ability to contribute more to the offense, but his overall game just makes him best suitable as a two-way with a little emphasis on playing it safe. At least that's the case even strength.

What the 2nd PP unit has been lacking is a quarterback, someone who can settle things down until the lane is open or find a guy in good scoring position. The only true, proven QB's we have are Fowler and Getzlaf, both playing on the same unit. The only forward who would be effective as the catalyst on the second unit would be Bobby IMO, but his right shot makes it iffy for me because typically you want your shooters on the right side/center. His handedness kind of handcuffs him on the left side in making passes cross ice or for the one timer down low to a righty (Selanne's spot). He's versatile and crafty enough that he can make it work though, we'll see.

There's a lot of questions to be answered and although it's fun to speculate, we'll only find them when the puck is dropped. I think the questions regarding the second unit can all be answered if Luca can show us more, more confidence and patience with the puck, more looking for the open man and less tunnel vision. If he can show those things, I'd be very confident in Beauchemin and Sbisa manning the 2nd unit. You're right though, two shooters backing the PP isn't a good thing. If we don't see more patience from Sbisa and things are looking redundant, maybe put a forward there. I lean on the side of Fowler playing the full two though.

When you face the facts, we lack options (mostly puck distributors) on the PP if things aren't working. That can make it difficult to run two steady and productive units. For this, all we can hope for is all players being utilized correctly and everything just goes right. Some players stepping up into bigger roles wouldn't hurt either.
Oh, I absolutely agree he has the ability. It's hard to forget that OT shift he had last season where, let's face it, he took control. It was impressive, to say the least, but how many times has he really looked even close to that good? You could probably count it on one hand, no? I can't help but think of Huskins, who had some pretty good rushes of his own, and certainly raised a few eyebrows. I think it's important to remember that this is the NHL. George Parros was able to hit 4 for 4(twice, unless I'm mistaken), in Anaheim's accuracy competition. An impressive feat, right, and this is a 4th line enforcer we're talking about. Not exactly an elite talent. Under the right circumstances, almost any player can look amazing.

I should be clear. I think much more highly of Sbisa than I ever did Huskins, and Parros couldn't hold Sbisa's jock, but it's not a player's highs or lows that define them, but the level inbetween where they are consistently able to be. Sbisa has had some real nice shifts, but consistently, he's just not that effective offensively. He holds on to the puck too long, to the point where I think he takes options away. Also, he seems to want the puck on his stick, which can be good, but it can also be bad if it's at the expense of using his teammates, and in Sbisa's case I think it has been at times. This is less of an issue when he's skating it out of Anaheim's zone, though to be honest, we've seen him make the occasional turnover there too by not making an outlet pass and wanting to carry the puck. With that in mind, I agree that giving him an opportunity on the 2nd PP unit could be beneficial, and I'd like to see it happen. Give him his shot to step up, but don't be too stubborn about it. If you don't get results, change things up.

I really don't see his skillsets as being capable of quarterbacking a PP(primarily because of the tunnel vision you mentioned), and I think Ryan is the better choice for that role, but if Beauchemin and Sbisa can get it done on the point, who am I to argue? I'm just not too optimistic about either Beauchemin or Sbisa having the offensive ability to really benefit a PP unit. I consider them more stop-gaps until Vatanen or Lindholm get their opportunity(which, I realize, is expecting a lot from two very young players, but offensively speaking I think they will bring more to the table).

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:33 PM
  #350
jaytibo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Last I've heard he'll probably be with Perry and Getz to start out at least, and most likely start with the big club. I have him on my fantasy team to pick up those points the he'll get from Perry/Getz and 2nd unit PP time.
Thank you

jaytibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.