HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Old
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I don't think it opens up a roster spot. The idea was to demote him and then tell him to stay home. It does clear up a contract, though, I think.
How can it not free up a roster spot? The who definition of one being bought out and becoming a free agent implies the opening of a spot on his old team. Otherwise the habs are being penalized for helping Gomez.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Habtchum*

So is it better or not for the Habs to have Gomez being a UFA right now ?

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:07 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
So is it better or not for the Habs to have Gomez being a UFA right now ?
It does change nothing to the habs, but they gain 1 roster spot and a 900k for this season.

Gomez will get full salary + extra with another team 2.

I think he'll sign with a western team.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Beendair Donedat

Per Tsn:
The NHL and NHL Players' Association have come to an agreement on players being forced to stay home for salary cap reasons this season.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, teams are now eligible to exercise an "accelerated compliance buyout" on one player with a salary cap hit of $3 million or more before the regular season begins on Saturday.

If a compliance buyout is used this week, a team will have only one left to use next summer.

That could be good news for players such as Scott*Gomez and Wade*Redden, two players who are not playing this season because if they got injured, their teams could not buy them out after the season.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, in order for a player to be bought out this week, he still must clear waivers first. He says to assume that Redden and Gomez will be put on waivers on Wednesday.

Team will take the full cap hit on such players this season, less the $900,000 for not burying the player in the minors, but suffer no cap hit next season or beyond.

Teams would pay out 100 per cent of a player's actual salary this year and two-thirds or one-third (as applicable) over twice the remaining term of the contract and the player is free to sign elsewhere.

However, there's no actual benefit to the teams to take this plan of action other than as a favour to the player to perhaps allow them to sign with another team right away.

In the new collective bargaining agreement, teams were permitted two compliance buyouts after this season or next season.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
It does change nothing to the habs, but they gain 1 roster spot and a 900k for this season.

WOW ! 5.5 + another salary from his new club. Way to go Scottie !

I hope he signs out West. I don't want to see him back against the Habs for a while.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
How can it not free up a roster spot? The who definition of one being bought out and becoming a free agent implies the opening of a spot on his old team. Otherwise the habs are being penalized for helping Gomez.
But he would be demoted to the AHL first. That alone clears up a roster spot.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Edgy

Quote:
WOW ! 5.5 + another salary from his new club. Way to go Scottie !

I hope he signs out West. I don't want to see him back against the Habs for a while.
Why? Are you worried 1 of his 2 goals this season will be against us?

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Per Tsn:
The NHL and NHL Players' Association have come to an agreement on players being forced to stay home for salary cap reasons this season.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, teams are now eligible to exercise an "accelerated compliance buyout" on one player with a salary cap hit of $3 million or more before the regular season begins on Saturday.

If a compliance buyout is used this week, a team will have only one left to use next summer.

That could be good news for players such as Scott*Gomez and Wade*Redden, two players who are not playing this season because if they got injured, their teams could not buy them out after the season.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, in order for a player to be bought out this week, he still must clear waivers first. He says to assume that Redden and Gomez will be put on waivers on Wednesday.

Team will take the full cap hit on such players this season, less the $900,000 for not burying the player in the minors, but suffer no cap hit next season or beyond.

Teams would pay out 100 per cent of a player's actual salary this year and two-thirds or one-third (as applicable) over twice the remaining term of the contract and the player is free to sign elsewhere.

However, there's no actual benefit to the teams to take this plan of action other than as a favour to the player to perhaps allow them to sign with another team right away.

In the new collective bargaining agreement, teams were permitted two compliance buyouts after this season or next season.
So, if Bergevin wants to be kind with Gomer, he let him go. But he pays 5,5 $ of salary to a guy playing and winning on another team + even more for the next couple of years.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
Why? Are you worried 1 of his 2 goals this season will be against us?
Might be the goals that would kill the Habs chances to make the playoffs...

Old
01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post

And some Canuck fans are interested. Why?!

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Edgy

Quote:
So, if Bergevin wants to be kind with Gomer, he let him go. But he pays 5,5 $ of salary to a guy playing and winning on another team + even more for the next couple of years.
No, it's the amnesty buyout agreed on in the CBA. They just decided to allow the teams to use one of them this season with the salary counting against the CAP for this season only and it will be gone next season.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:24 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I like the job the NHL and NHLPA have done here. Feel good for Gomez and Redden (and any other players that will get to take advantage of this now.. Komisarek?).

The Habs, IMO, get 3 benefits from this so I call it a huge win over the previous decision.

1) We gain a roster spot on the 50-man limit. It may or may not be useful, but who knows.
2) We still get the $900K cap relief on the NHL salary cap.
3) Less distractions from this. Gomez will be happy with the organization for buying him out early rather than making him sit and home (or join the media somewhere). I think overall, this will create less distractions and media drama than before.

Awesome.

Best of luck, Scott.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
And some Canuck fans are interested. Why?!
Easy.

Kesler is already out and now Booth is out 4-6 weeks. The offense is looking... Hab-like in Vancouver right now. Second line is looking like;

Raymond - Schroeder - Higgins

Disgusting.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Easy.

Kesler is already out and now Booth is out 4-6 weeks. The offense is looking... Hab-like in Vancouver right now. Second line is looking like;

Raymond - Schroeder - Higgins

Disgusting.
Believe me, I know. Gomez in between Raymond and Higgins terrifies me even more though. Raymond has enough trouble as it is. Never mine how insanely soft that line would be.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Believe me, I know. Gomez in between Raymond and Higgins terrifies me even more though. Raymond has enough trouble as it is. Never mine how insanely soft that line would be.
If they do sign Gomez, might be best to go;

Sedin - Sedin - Raymond
Higgins - Gomez - Burrows
Kassian - Malholtra - Hansen
Desbiens - Lapierre - Weise
Ebbett

Old
01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
If they do sign Gomez, might be best to go;

Sedin - Sedin - Raymond
Higgins - Gomez - Burrows
Kassian - Malholtra - Hansen
Desbiens - Lapierre - Weise
Ebbett
Wouldn't surprise me, although Raymond with the Sedins has never worked despite numerous attempts. In all probability, Kassian or Hansen will shift to the second line in place of Raymond/Higgins to keep Burrows with the Sedins.

Barring one amazing turn around though, Gomez on the second line. Ugh. Admittedly, could work as a temporary fix but I don't like it. Been too long seeing Gomez here.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I dont know how the negotiators didnt think of this ...

Not really a strong indication that this cba will not be chalk full of loop holes ...like the last one.

Anyway I digress, Good Luck to Gomez. So long as that luck dries up vs. the Habs. My favourite Gomez moment was when he scrapped with Tom Poti in the Washington series in 2010 ...showed the young guys he will do whatever it takes to win... likeable guy... gets paid too much.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:44 PM
coolasprICE

I predict he's going to bounce back, to some degree.

maybe pace for 40 points. His days of top 6 are over.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Gomez will be good this year. It's beyond that that we will see him struggle once again. But struggles or not, he is a NHL'er. Just not with that kind of salary.

Strange to hear Ferrara saying that Redden will be more in demand than Gomez....Seriously? Redden has been proving in the AHL that he might just be a AHL'er while some people will be able to believe that it was because he was in Montreal that it didn't work for Gomez. And Gomez wouldn't be the first one to have some success after leaving Montreal. For the right price, if I'm another team, I'd be all over Gomez.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:05 PM
RC51

I know it's not my money but wait a minute. Habs would pay Gomez some 10 million right now? now if I am Molson and I ask my accounting staff what my 10 million can make in interest if I leave it to my Financial wizards for the next 6 months. I would be out some 250k + for sure.
Gomez get a ton of money an extra 1-2 million for this year from some other team and all that interest money. WHY DO I DO THIS FOR HIM????? for FREE???????? WTF.

Gomez states he wants to play this year so he has a better chance of landing a good contract come July, so ok
if he can find a team that would take him now for the 1/2 year what ever he gets should come off what the Habs pay, is this not what Gomez states is the reason for this new rule. OR is Gomez lying to the world and it's all about MORE MONEY MORE MONEY MORE MONEY>

Last edited by RC51: 01-15-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: more info.
RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Gomez will be good this year. It's beyond that that we will see him struggle once again. But struggles or not, he is a NHL'er. Just not with that kind of salary.

Strange to hear Ferrara saying that Redden will be more in demand than Gomez....Seriously? Redden has been proving in the AHL that he might just be a AHL'er while some people will be able to believe that it was because he was in Montreal that it didn't work for Gomez. And Gomez wouldn't be the first one to have some success after leaving Montreal. For the right price, if I'm another team, I'd be all over Gomez.
Great point on Gomez, someone will pick him up and i bet you he will actually help them.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

OK if the Habs agreed on the new agreement, what would be Gomez' cap hit this year?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
OK if the Habs agreed on the new agreement, what would be Gomez' cap hit this year?
Whatever it normally is, minus 900k

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Whatever it normally is, minus 900k
What is it normally?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote