HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Glen Sather/Gomez and Redden buyout rule. Who else get's bought out?

Old
01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Why would the Isles use an "amensty" buy out for DiPietro? If the Isles were to do that, they'd owe Dipietro something like $25M over the next 18 years, and get NO credit for those $'s against the salary cap. Call me crazy, but there is NO way that the Isles "amnesty" buy out RDP. At least with a "regular" buy out, Wang would get credit for the $'s paid to RDP with regard to the salary cap floor.
If the Islanders are still concerned with the cap floor over the next 18 years then they may as well just leave the league, especially after moving to a new arena in Brooklyn.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
In before DiPietro.
ya, that guy. gets paid 4.5 million a year to play 3 games.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:24 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
"Elliotte Friedman writes that one benefit to the Rangers for using their buyout now is that it opens up a spot on their reserve/50 contract list." - from the snyrangersblog

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Isn't there a very defined timeframe for "normal" buyouts? If the Isles could do a "normal" buyout of RDP - that makes total sense. (As much as $1.5M for the next 18 years makes sense!)

My point is that there is NO chance that Wang "amnesty" buys-out RDP, because in that case he wouldn't get "credit" for the $25+M he'd be paying RDP over the next 18 years against the cap. If Wang's writing a $1.5M check per year, he's going to want to get credit for that against the cap floor.

Hopefully when the Isles make it to Brooklyn, this will stop being an issue. If the Isles were REALLY confident that would change in the near future, it would probably be worthwhile to amensty buy out RDP, but that's a long shot IMO.
There is no way that he uses an amnesty buyout this year, but the Isles could use it after this year or next, and if he proves incapable of playing at an acceptable level, I think they will.

Wang isn't willing to spend now because he is losing money. If the Isles are in a new arena, and have a chance to make the playoffs, spending more on the players will make financial sense.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

We got another rule named after us. Good job Uncle Glen!

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:29 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Can't MTL say no we don't want to buy out Gomez? Do they really need the cap space?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Wouldn't argue Gomez in St. Louis if Steen at C doesn't work.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
zzoo

With the new exception, there's no benefit to the team to buy out a player now, instead of sending him home and buy out in the summer, right ? The benefit is on the player as he can play this season, if a team is willing to take him.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Can't MTL say no we don't want to buy out Gomez? Do they really need the cap space?
Theres no change in the cap for this year...

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoburrito View Post
why should they get a free spot? that seems silly to me.. they should be punishing those teams
Uh, they already have a huge cap hit.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:33 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
There is NO cap benefit for this season. Montreal is taking on $6.5 million in cap for Gomez no matter what this season. Unless you're implying that they would keep that same hit for next season too? When the cap drops to $64.3, and they have 15 players already signed for $58 million, and Subban still hasn't been re-signed? Yeah, ok.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I'd have to disagree on the "gaming the cap". Bottom line - the NHLPA is guaranteed a certain % of HRR, and the Isles are paying RDP his $4.5M per year.

You're point is that the Isles aren't icing a $44M cap team, because they're wasting 10% of that on RDP and not getting their "money's worth" for it. While I agree that is true - the cap wasn't really about enforcing parity via having "market value" contracts. Because if it was - the Flyers would be "gaming the cap" because they're getting a top 10 player in the league in Giroux for $3.75M, or about half of what he is actually worth. It definetely sucks for Isles fans, but hopefully with the move to Brooklyn the budget will be positively impacted and they'll be able to make good hockey moves instead of cap floor related moves.

I have less issue with the Isles having RDP on the cap for $4.5M, than last year them having Nino on the roster with a $3.8M cap hit for impossible bonuses.
I have an issue with both, but it's a convo for another day.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
"Elliotte Friedman writes that one benefit to the Rangers for using their buyout now is that it opens up a spot on their reserve/50 contract list." - from the snyrangersblog
As it should be. Good. Would make no sense to have a non-contracted player taking up a roster spot.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
Your missing that Wang isn't likely going to pay him 24 million dollars to make him just go away.
Agree that Wang's not going to buy him out at this point in time, but in all fairness though - the decision becomes pay him around $36M through 2021, or pay him $24M though 2030.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:43 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
There is NO cap benefit for this season. Montreal is taking on $6.5 million in cap for Gomez no matter what this season. Unless you're implying that they would keep that same hit for next season too? When the cap drops to $64.3, and they have 15 players already signed for $58 million, and Subban still hasn't been re-signed? Yeah, ok.
So what good does them paying him his full salary do? Just to be nice guys?

Maybe instead they should've had an agreement that injured players could be bought out and used Gomez this year.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:45 PM
BigHabs

Does anyone believe or think Lecavalier might get bought out? Just a question not saying it will.

Cause I could see it for financial reasons maybe. Then I would say he would have a long list of buyers willing to offer up some cash, just not the money he is making now.

Part of me thinks they could buy him out, but part of me finds Stevie Y is too classy to do so. But it is a business decision not personal.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
With the new exception, there's no benefit to the team to buy out a player now, instead of sending him home and buy out in the summer, right ? The benefit is on the player as he can play this season, if a team is willing to take him.
They do save money by buying him out. 1/3 of whatever salary they were going to be paying this season to the player which doesnt sound like much but it beats paying the full salary while the guy sits at home on the couch.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:50 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
There are two benefits :
1. You gain a roster spot on your reserve list.
2. You don't look like a jackass to every player in the league.

@halibut no, they pay full price for this year.

01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
They do save money by buying him out. 1/3 of whatever salary they were going to be paying this season to the player which doesnt sound like much but it beats paying the full salary while the guy sits at home on the couch.
Nah it's full cash going to the player for this year, was something the PA somehow got.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well that's "nice". Not that we really had a lot to feel sorry for these guys about with their million$, but I'm glad Gomez will get a chance to play and catch on somewhere without the attached stigma of being forced to sit out the season.

I don't really know how much he'll help a team... it'll be a gamble, but really, one well worth taking for any team with the roster opening. He hasn't lost a step, he's still great at carrying the puck through the neutral zone. I feel like he works reasonably hard and goes to the corners adequately, for a player of his type - not for a player of a more robust type of course, but he mostly tries. He is a very well-regarded teammate by all reports. As everybody notes, he's the guy that went up to Chara after the Pacioretty hit, of all people. His main problem seems to be that nothing whatsoever - and really, NOTHING - has been clicking for him for a while.

As a speedy playmaker who has a terrible shot and isn't really all that visionary with his plays, he probably needs certain types of players to play with. I don't know what made the EGG line click, but whatever it was, he seems to have never found anything close with the Habs. (And not typically played - at least not lately - with Gionta either).

I think he can also still play on the PP. When he has the time to set up and make plays, he does better than trying to do something off his speed rushes.

If you can sign him for $525k or whatever, no harm. Lots of teams have cap room relative to $70.2M.

Nice outcome for Gomez.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:58 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
There are two benefits :

So I guess there is some relief, but **** me did the NHL drop the ball. The players are the ones that needed this, the teams seemed to have no issue with making said players sit and play NHL 13 at home.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Gomez needs Mogilny

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Not sure why a Hawks fan would be happy to see Gomez go to the Canucks.

Gomez was on an awful deal at $7.5M and a large hindrance for a cap team. That does not mean Gomez is an awful player. He's still a good fringe second/third liner and I'm willing to bet his production will go up with the expectations of playing as a $7.5M player gone.

If he signs for under $2M he will be a good value for any team that picks him up.
history revises itself in a few short hours. suddenly he's a potentially serviceable 2nd liner now that he's worth 650k

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
ronnyweed

Gomez playing in the west? Ya good luck with that

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
There are two benefits :

I think both benefits are worth it. I think it looks bad on a team to sign or acquire a guy and then tell him he can't play anywhere. The PA is right that it hinders future employment or earnings.

Teams will get 900,000 less the full cap hit, something they'd get anyway for playing them in the minors.

There is even a negative to the PA. Gomez's 7.5m counts against their 50% of HRR and then he may also sign with another NHL team and take up even more of that 50%.

It's only a win for the players who get bought out.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote